Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 194: McGregor vs Aldo ***READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

McGregor via Decision
    This is up on Fight Pass now.

The blue corner feed is well worth watching for the main event.

Kavanagh, Roddy and Artem sound just like every McGregor fan in the country watching from their sitting room when the KO lands. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

McGregor via Decision
    Paully D wrote: »

Kavanagh, Roddy and Artem sound just like every McGregor fan in the country watching from their sitting room when the KO lands. :pac:

How do you access this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Fromvert wrote: »
    When BJ was Lightweight champ he went up to fight GSP for the belt. He lost but it didn't effect his PPV pull at LW, if anything his PPV's increased directly after the fight.

UFC 80 - Penn/Stevenson - 225k
    UFC 84 - Penn/Sherk - 475k
    UFC 94 - Penn/GSP - 920k
    UFC 101 - Penn/Florian - 850k
    UFC 107 - Penn/Sanchez - 620k

Obviously there's probably a couple of factors of why this happened. Cards may have been better overall (I didn't check them), GSP being a huge draw, UFC was growing more etc but I don't think McGregor's PPV pull will fall dramatically unless he loses 3 fights on the bounce than he might lose his magic but could still pull more than most of the UFC.

Cards back then were amazing, Dana used always say any fight on main card could be main event and he was right. Not anymore though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

McGregor via Decision
    dave1982 wrote: »
    Cards back then were amazing, Dana used always say any fight on main card could be main event and he was right. Not anymore though

ahem ahem 189 maybe ? a main event for the ages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

ahem ahem 189 maybe ? a main event for the ages

I think you've mis understood. Apart from the title fights on the 189 card none of the other main card fights could have headlined a PPV card. Back around UFC70s 80s 90s etc you could have made any main card fight the main event is what was meant by Dana.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Devastator wrote: »
    I think you've mis understood. Apart from the title fights on the 189 card none of the other main card fights could have headlined a PPV card. Back around UFC70s 80s 90s etc you could have made any main card fight the main event is what was meant by Dana.

Maybe so,not a ppv but some of them fights were well worthy of headlining a fox event,Thatch V gunnar and matt brown tim means.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Dave0301

McGregor via Decision
    Paully D wrote: »

The overhead camera really shows how out of it Aldo was after the punch.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

Dave0301 wrote: »
    The overhead camera really shows how out of it Aldo was after the punch.

You also get to see how distraught and confused he is after, completely in denial, he couldn't even believe it happened.

I know you can see this in the original broadcast, but the camera that follows Aldo the whole time shows the bit where McGregor walks up to him to shake his hand and he has no idea what's going on.

anyone got a link for that?.

judging by his post since the fight, he may need an MRI, coming out some stupid stuff. you can have a long fight or a short fight, it's completely up to you. he made a schoolboy error hence the very short fight..... QED Jose, blame yourself.. I;m fed up listening to that, it wasn't a fight crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

rusty cole wrote: »
    anyone got a link for that?.

judging by his post since the fight, he may need an MRI, coming out some stupid stuff. you can have a long fight or a short fight, it's completely up to you. he made a schoolboy error hence the very short fight..... QED Jose, blame yourself.. I;m fed up listening to that, it wasn't a fight crap.

It's only on fight pass afaik, you just go to fight pass, ufc 194 and click the blue flag.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Aldo is continuing to do himself no favours - I guess that's the thing about someone who hasn't lost in a decade/on the big stage, you never know how they will take it. And Aldo is taking it worse than most I can recall.

http://www.mmanews.com/jose-aldo-reveals-pre-fight-deal-says-piece-of-sht-mcgregor-didnt-keep-his-word/
    I won’t accept another fight if it’s not for the belt. When we signed the contract, the intention was that the winner would fight at lightweight, but we would need to abandon the featherweight belt.”

“It doesn’t matter if it’s about money or not at this point, what matters is show who calls the shots, who’s the boss, and not just a piece of sh*t talking about things you see. He doesn’t deserve to be where he is. I’ve always respected all the merits, but he had more luck than merits.”

Someone needs to tell him he is not champion anymore - those "I won't fight unless..." demands do not hold nearly as much weight, especially as he is in a fairly stacked weight class and just came off a 13 second KO, rather than being the (almost) unbeaten best P4P fighter around. And if he wants to complain about Conor, he can give out about fast tracking I guess - complaining about "luck" for a guy with a string of such convincing wins as McGregor has had the last 2.5 years, is frankly embarrassing to even read.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Aldo is continuing to do himself no favours - I guess that's the thing about someone who hasn't lost in a decade/on the big stage, you never know how they will take it. And Aldo is taking it worse than most I can recall.

http://www.mmanews.com/jose-aldo-reveals-pre-fight-deal-says-piece-of-sht-mcgregor-didnt-keep-his-word/

Someone needs to tell him he is not champion anymore - those "I won't fight unless..." demands do not hold nearly as much weight, especially as he is in a fairly stacked weight class and just came off a 13 second KO, rather than being the (almost) unbeaten best P4P fighter around. And if he wants to complain about Conor, he can give out about fast tracking I guess - complaining about "luck" for a guy with a string of such convincing wins as McGregor has had the last 2.5 years, is frankly embarrassing to even read.

well that just about sums up my feelings on Aldo too. Im off the pub, superb post. Lucky? Irony is, the biggest obstacle fell hardest and quickest, delighted he got KO'D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Check out aldos corner shouting and trying to rile him up while the fighters were been introduced and standing in the ring.

For about 10 mins constant in his ear, would love to know what they were saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Aldo via Decision
    I wonder was that Conor giving Aldo the fingers for pulling out of UFC 189 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Check out aldos corner shouting and trying to rile him up while the fighters were been introduced and standing in the ring.

For about 10 mins constant in his ear, would love to know what they were saying.

Yeah I noticed that. The chaos of Aldo's cornermen versus the calm of Conor's cornermen was fairly poetic :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Yeah I noticed that. The chaos of Aldo's corner versus the calm of Conor's corner was fairly poetic :pac:

Exactly what I thought.

Conor had him beaten well before he stepped in the ring.

Aldo and his team knew it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Aldo via Decision
    Ridiculous

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Aldo via Decision
    Hopefully RDA doesnt pull a sickie.

Jose Aldo Is Staying Ready Just In Case He Is Called Upon To Fight Conor McGregor On Short Notice

Jose Aldo knows a thing or two about withdrawing from fights due to injury, after all the Brazilian has pulled out of 5 bouts during his time with the UFC. To add to his misfortune, Aldo has also had 2 opponents drop out when they were scheduled to fight him.

Given this history, the former long-time featherweight champion is acutely aware of the fact that anything can and often does happen during fight camps. It was unsurprising then to hear the fighter’s head coach, Andre Pederneiras, say that Aldo is currently preparing himself for the possibility that he may be called upon to rematch Conor McGregor on short notice in the event that his countryman Rafael dos Anjos has to withdraw from his bout with “The Notorious” one, which is scheduled for March 5th at UFC 197.

Speaking to Brazilian MMA media outlet Portal do Vale Tudo, Pederneiras revealed that the 29-year-old’s obsession with the Irishman has led him back to the Nova Uniao gym, where he has already been putting in some light work in the hope that he will be handed a chance at redemption.

“That’s what he wants the most,” started Pederneiras. “He wants it so much that he’s already training conditioning, jiu-jitsu and boxing. Nothing too excessive, of course, but he wants to stay in shape. He’s not lazy. He will always be expecting that chance to get the fight on short notice, otherwise he might not get another chance. He’s got that notion in his mind so he’s staying active”.

The trainer also took yet another shot at the UFC higher-ups for their handling of recent events, and the fact that their decisions continue to highlight inconsistencies within the company’s championship policies.

“The UFC wants to be in control of the sport and still be a business. When you have a sport, you must have rules and those rules apply to John the same way the apply to Jack. So if John gets an immediate rematch because he’s a dominant champion, Jack deserves one too, if he has done the same things, no matter how ugly he is. But if you’re talking business, John can have his rematch because he sells way more than Jack. Treating the UFC as a sport and business at the same times will create problems. It already is”.

http://www.punditarena.com/mmaufc/sraftery/jose-aldo-is-staying-ready-just-in-case-he-is-called-upon-to-fight-conor-mcgregor-on-short-notice/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Aldo via Submission
    Gamb!t wrote: »
    Hopefully RDA doesnt pull a sickie.

Jose Aldo Is Staying Ready Just In Case He Is Called Upon To Fight Conor McGregor On Short Notice

Jose Aldo knows a thing or two about withdrawing from fights due to injury, after all the Brazilian has pulled out of 5 bouts during his time with the UFC. To add to his misfortune, Aldo has also had 2 opponents drop out when they were scheduled to fight him.

Given this history, the former long-time featherweight champion is acutely aware of the fact that anything can and often does happen during fight camps. It was unsurprising then to hear the fighter’s head coach, Andre Pederneiras, say that Aldo is currently preparing himself for the possibility that he may be called upon to rematch Conor McGregor on short notice in the event that his countryman Rafael dos Anjos has to withdraw from his bout with “The Notorious” one, which is scheduled for March 5th at UFC 197.

Speaking to Brazilian MMA media outlet Portal do Vale Tudo, Pederneiras revealed that the 29-year-old’s obsession with the Irishman has led him back to the Nova Uniao gym, where he has already been putting in some light work in the hope that he will be handed a chance at redemption.

“That’s what he wants the most,” started Pederneiras. “He wants it so much that he’s already training conditioning, jiu-jitsu and boxing. Nothing too excessive, of course, but he wants to stay in shape. He’s not lazy. He will always be expecting that chance to get the fight on short notice, otherwise he might not get another chance. He’s got that notion in his mind so he’s staying active”.

The trainer also took yet another shot at the UFC higher-ups for their handling of recent events, and the fact that their decisions continue to highlight inconsistencies within the company’s championship policies.

“The UFC wants to be in control of the sport and still be a business. When you have a sport, you must have rules and those rules apply to John the same way the apply to Jack. So if John gets an immediate rematch because he’s a dominant champion, Jack deserves one too, if he has done the same things, no matter how ugly he is. But if you’re talking business, John can have his rematch because he sells way more than Jack. Treating the UFC as a sport and business at the same times will create problems. It already is”.

http://www.punditarena.com/mmaufc/sraftery/jose-aldo-is-staying-ready-just-in-case-he-is-called-upon-to-fight-conor-mcgregor-on-short-notice/

That makes no sense. It's a fight at 155. If RDA pulls out McG isn't gonna be fighting at 145 come March. So Aldo would rematch him at 155?

• Advertisement

Aldo via Decision
    That makes no sense. It's a fight at 155. If RDA pulls out McG isn't gonna be fighting at 145 come March. So Aldo would rematch him at 155?

If RDA pulled out in the next few weeks he(CM) might have to drop to 145 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

McGregor via Decision
    Na he wouldn't be expected to go to 145 if it was within 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Should RDA pull out, it be Diaz in instead I say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

McGregor via Decision
    Aldo would just have to prepare to fight at 155. No belt on the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

dave1982 wrote: »
    Should RDA pull out, it be Diaz in instead I say

Is Diaz not out until July? I thought he was injured?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Aldo via Submission
    killwill wrote: »
    Is Diaz not out until July? I thought he was injured?

Nate Diaz isn't injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,736 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Nate Diaz isn't injured.

He will be if mcgregor fights him :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

McGregor via Decision
    I can see RDA getting "injured" and Aldo getting a fight at 155.

If that happens I think Conor wins again, for what its worth!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Dont remember RDA pulling out of fights has he a history?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Aldo via Submission
    DeVore wrote: »
    I can see RDA getting "injured" and Aldo getting a fight at 155.

If that happens I think Conor wins again, for what its worth!

I don't see the UFC pairing Aldo with Conor unless it's for a title. Nate Diaz would be the obvious choice.

Advertisement