Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 194: McGregor vs Aldo ***READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Aldo via Submission
    Muahahaha wrote: »
    From article written by JK here http://www.the42.ie/john-kavanagh-column-18-december-2511017-Dec2015/

I guess that's that then. Conor is going to 155 for a direct shot at the title. Its incredible news really, by next April he could be a double world champion. Regardless of what happens Aldo and Edgar will also get their shot but they're just resting on ice for now.

If Conor decides to fight for the 155 strap before fighting Frankie he should be forced to vacate the 145 belt.

Frankie has done everything right for the last several years, he's been promised a shot at the title and was told the night before 194 he'd get it by Dana.

Conor should be forced to defend he 145 title against Frankie before fighting for the 155 strap in July at UFC200.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭PIMPHO

Can we all just admit that RDA looked as good as he ever did on the scales last night?

Thought he looked less muscular and smaller. Not same beast shape when he beat Pettis.

Aldo via Submission
    PIMPHO wrote: »
    Thought he looked less muscular and smaller. Not same beast shape when he beat Pettis.

I moved my posts to the other thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Aldo via Decision
    Muahahaha wrote: »
    From article written by JK here http://www.the42.ie/john-kavanagh-column-18-december-2511017-Dec2015/

I guess that's that then. Conor is going to 155 for a direct shot at the title. Its incredible news really, by next April he could be a double world champion. Regardless of what happens Aldo and Edgar will also get their shot but they're just resting on ice for now.

Its a small bit of a joke that he can go straight into a title fight in the lightweight division, but money talks and it makes a hell of a lot of sense for the UFC to do it financially of course.

Gotta feel for Frankie, what are his options then? Sit on his ass for months waiting, realistically you are looking at October/November for his shot at Conor if he goes to fight for the LW belt in April. White has promised him he gets what he wants, he obviously isn't going to want a shot earlier then that.

He certainly won't want to fight Aldo in another eliminator, he has earned a shot without having to go through anybody else first. Aldo in my opinion deserves a rematch technically, but I dont think the appetite is there for that fight right now, too long of a build up for such a short fight for people to have any interest right now really.

I like Aldo v Holloway for Aldo to stake his claim for a shot again, but it still doesn't solve the problem of Frankie sitting on his ass waiting around.

Dunno how they solve it to keep him happy

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Aldo via Decision
    If Conor decides to fight for the 155 strap before fighting Frankie he should be forced to vacate the 145 belt.

Frankie has done everything right for the last several years, he's been promised a shot at the title and was told the night before 194 he'd get it by Dana.

Conor should be forced to defend he 145 title against Frankie before fighting for the 155 strap in July at UFC200.

I agree with this, think it is the fairest solution.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Has he been given green light to hold two belts if he win lw?

Going by what read Dana said he'll need to vacate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Aldo via Decision
    Its a small bit of a joke that he can go straight into a title fight in the lightweight division, but money talks and it makes a hell of a lot of sense for the UFC to do it financially of course.

Gotta feel for Frankie, what are his options then? Sit on his ass for months waiting, realistically you are looking at October/November for his shot at Conor if he goes to fight for the LW belt in April. White has promised him he gets what he wants, he obviously isn't going to want a shot earlier then that.

He certainly won't want to fight Aldo in another eliminator, he has earned a shot without having to go through anybody else first. Aldo in my opinion deserves a rematch technically, but I dont think the appetite is there for that fight right now, too long of a build up for such a short fight for people to have any interest right now really.

I like Aldo v Holloway for Aldo to stake his claim for a shot again, but it still doesn't solve the problem of Frankie sitting on his ass waiting around.

They should just have an Interm belt up for grabs while Conor goes to lightweight like they did with Chad and Conor when Aldo wasnt able to defend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Gamb!t wrote:
    They should just have an Interm belt up for grabs while Conor goes to lightweight like they did with Chad and Conor when Aldo wasnt able to defend.

Aldo wasn't able to defend it, Conor doesn't want to, big difference.

Aldo via Submission
    ComfortKid wrote: »

Then it should be stripped like it would be in boxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Aldo via Decision
    ComfortKid wrote: »
    He'll have to defend it,the question is when,before or after his LW fight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

McGregor via Decision
    Gamb!t wrote: »

No way. Interim belts should only be instituted in very exceptional circumstances. Even when Aldo backed out of the first fight with the rib injury there should not have been an interim belt for McGregor/Mendes.

People can say that it was because of Aldo's history of pulling out of fights but the UFC only brought it in because it was such a big card and the fact that there was a lot of PPV money at stake so they wanted to beef up the main event by putting a 'title' on the line.

Cruz/Barao is a better example of when there should be an interim belt. Cruz was sidelined with a serious long-term injury. Aldo was only out for a few months.

Having another Interim title at FW because McGregor is going to be fighting at two weightclasses sets a dangerous precedent and makes a joke of an interim title when the full champion is active.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Wouldnt believe a word Dana says,his promises mean absolutely nothing as miesha knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

how often did Aldo defend his belt ? average every 9 months iirc

last few were 14 months 8 months 6 months and 17 months (was he injured?)

04/11 10/11 01/12 08/13 02/14 10/14 12/15

so if Conor can defent the 145 within 2016 that should be ok or would that be too long for people.
    why wouildn't the ufc want him to have two belts if he can stay active enough for them? i'm willing to be hes ready to fight the winner from tonight next week or next month but they won't be
    i bet the mad bastard would have fought frankie straight after if he was up for it
    (not that i think he should have but thats how ufc started wasn't it)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

McGregor via Decision
    The thing is, the UFC learned before that unified belt fight are bad news. Yes you get one big fight out of it. But then you could lose one big champion and the two belts are defended half as often.

I can see a situation where Conor wins the 155 belt and then vacates the 145 belt saying "they can have it, I'm done with it" :)

I feel bad for Frankie, partly because I really like the guy, he has a great character and is a truly tough mofo and partly because he has really done everything he should need to do to get a crack at the belt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Aldo via Submission

Give him a low ranked fighter to demolish, in the interim. Make it a headline fight night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

In fairness if you called him into a private meeting and you offered Frankie a title match against aldo in March after stripping the belt or sitting up til the summer to fight Conor I think he says Conor. Bigger payday and doesn't weaken the belt by having the champ vacate it...

For Frankies association with that fraud ali abdel-aziz (his manager)I hope hes gets a raw deal,sickening to see him in the octagon when he beat Mendes jumping around trying to get on tv,as shady as they come with his match making at WSOF and lying about being an olympic judoka then when found out saying he missed weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

This is trending off topic, maybe time to close.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭kettlehead

McGregor via Decision
    Gamebred wrote: »
    For Frankies association with that fraud ali abdel-aziz (his manager).

Is that why he was wearing a tshirt with the Bahrain and the US flag on it after the fight?

kettlehead wrote: »
    Is that why he was wearing a tshirt with the Bahrain and the US flag on it after the fight?

No thats a complete different kettle of fish,thats the khk team khalifa ruling family of Bahrain trying to buy their way into MMA the family are nothing more than Dictatorship

This Ali character is manager of a lot of fighters but he has a very shady past lied about being an olympic athlete no record of him being one then gets found out and said he missed weight lol

http://realfightstories.com/2015/12/02/real-ali-abdel-aziz/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

DeVore wrote: »
    The thing is, the UFC learned before that unified belt fight are bad news. Yes you get one big fight out of it. But then you could lose one big champion and the two belts are defended half as often.

I can see a situation where Conor wins the 155 belt and then vacates the 145 belt saying "they can have it, I'm done with it" :)

I feel bad for Frankie, partly because I really like the guy, he has a great character and is a truly tough mofo and partly because he has really done everything he should need to do to get a crack at the belt.

Frankie deserves a shot but he can wait a bit longer. After all he got an instant title shot against Aldo after only winning 1 of his previous 4 fights before dropping down in weight. He was gifted an early shot then so he can wait a bit longer now IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,104 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

After all he got an instant title shot against Aldo after only winning 1 of his previous 4 fights before dropping down in weight. He was gifted an early shot then so he can wait a bit longer now IMO.

I know that technically correct looking at his record on paper. But it's makes little sense "fact" when you watch the actual fights.

The Gray Maynard draw was an epic fight. The rematch that he won, was one of my favorite performances in the octagon, ever. Inspiring stuff.
    Frankie v Bendo I was a close fight that split the fans mostly. Frankie won the rematch handsdown. That was a screwjob of Montreal proportions.

His record on paper wasn't a fair reflection of his LW run. Considering he was always basically a FW fighting up, he was easily the number 1 contender when he stepped down. Who deserved it ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

I cannot see Dana making Conor defend before this Title v Title match

From a business perspective it'd be a stupid move...that fight will draw unseen numbers no doubt

Im in two minds about Mcgregor..one because I would love to see him win and make history, a very talented fighter and equally a talented entertainer, makes MMA that extra bit more interesting

I would equally like to see him lose however, as I feel he should have to fight at least one fight as champion...I think both Aldo and Edgar deserve a crack at him

But as always, business is business

Regardless, 2016 should be an interesting year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

pone2012 wrote: »
    I cannot see Dana making Conor defend before this Title v Title match

From a business perspective it'd be a stupid move...that fight will draw unseen numbers no doubt

Im in two minds about Mcgregor..one because I would love to see him win and make history, a very talented fighter and equally a talented entertainer, makes MMA that extra bit more interesting

I would equally like to see him lose however, as I feel he should have to fight at least one fight as champion...I think both Aldo and Edgar deserve a crack at him

But as always, business is business

Regardless, 2016 should be an interesting year

That is absolutely ridiculous logic. The mind boggles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

BOHtox wrote: »

Trying to get my head around it too.

Just can't. On I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

BOHtox wrote: »

Apologies I didn't word it so well

What I meant overall is although I'm a mcgregor fan..I feel his jump to lightweight is a bit premature, In that he should fight both Edgar and Aldo or at least one of them before he moves up... Ethically/morally that seems the best imo

In saying that, I am a big fan of Conor and what he does for UFC..I'd also like to see him make history..he's really drawn Amazing interest..it'd be great to see him hold 2 titles

Basically I'm saying I hold and can see views on both sides..and also that Dana White will always do whats best for business....

To finish I stated regardless of what happens 2016 will be an interesting year to watch mcgregor

Clarified?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

What I meant overall is although I'm a mcgregor fan..I feel his jump to lightweight is a bit premature, In that he should fight both Edgar and Aldo or at least one of them before he moves up... Ethically/morally that seems the best imo

In saying that, I am a big fan of Conor and what he does for UFC..I'd also like to see him make history..he's really drawn Amazing interest..it'd be great to see him hold 2 titles

Basically I'm saying I hold and can see views on both sides..and also that Dana White will always do whats best for business....

To finish I stated regardless of what happens 2016 will be an interesting year to watch mcgregor

Clarified?
    So how does wanting him to loose come into any of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,104 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I disagree that there's a moral obligation to take the fight, but I can can respect that it's you opinion.

What I don't understand is how believing he should morally fight Frankie first also means half wanting him to lose.

The best for business is for Conor to fight Edgar in early 2016, and win. And then move up to 155 and make the superfight with RDA for JUly.

Booking it in reverse has a greater chance that he will lose imo, it also takes the shine off the Edgar match if has already beaten RDA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Mellor wrote: »

Booking it in reverse has a greater chance that he will lose imo, it also takes the shine off the Edgar match if has already beaten RDA.

Yeah that's another issue if he loses, is his belt worth less? Anderson went up and absolutely destroyed James Irvin, Griffin and Bonnar. If he had lost ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

McGregor via Decision
    When BJ was Lightweight champ he went up to fight GSP for the belt. He lost but it didn't effect his PPV pull at LW, if anything his PPV's increased directly after the fight.

UFC 80 - Penn/Stevenson - 225k
    UFC 84 - Penn/Sherk - 475k
    UFC 94 - Penn/GSP - 920k
    UFC 101 - Penn/Florian - 850k
    UFC 107 - Penn/Sanchez - 620k

Obviously there's probably a couple of factors of why this happened. Cards may have been better overall (I didn't check them), GSP being a huge draw, UFC was growing more etc but I don't think McGregor's PPV pull will fall dramatically unless he loses 3 fights on the bounce than he might lose his magic but could still pull more than most of the UFC.

Advertisement