Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 194: McGregor vs Aldo ***READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

Chad just had two brutal knock outs, he needs at least 6 months before he even thinks about fighting. José will be OK to fight before easter, Max needs to be pushed, Aldo is the current #2 contender after Frankie, if max can't beat Aldo then we know where he sits in the pecking order.

I actually think Aldo is 1 and Frankie 2. Can see Frankie getting screwed a bit and having to fight Aldo to fight Conor. Hopefully not as I feel Edgar is long deserving of a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I don't think Chad should fight again for 12 months, to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Aldo via Submission
    Knex. wrote: »
    I don't think Chad should fight again for 12 months, to be honest.

I was thinking he should drop to bantamweight maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Aldo via Decision
    Jose Aldo's coach André Pederneiras is retweeting ****e like this:

https://twitter.com/Jack40853087/status/675699736716836864

clutching at straws.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JR6

dulux99 wrote: »
    My recap of the week -

Highlights - two excellent shows in a row, including the weigh ins. Great buzz at both. Obviously McGregor winning was great. At the time I didn't have an issue with how short the fight was, but in hindsight I definitely wished it was a bit more of a spectacle or maybe had a bit more drama, such as the Mendes fight. The Tony Ferguson fight on the Friday was unbelievable to see live, and the Chelsea is a mad spot to watch fights, even with GA standing.

Lowlights - pissed up obnoxious dubs who felt like they could walk, talk and act like conor mcgregor. Aggressive, rude ars*holes who seemed like they were being w*nkers for the sake of being w*nkers. This time I felt the Conor McGregor fans outweighed the MMA fans massively. Even in July we had lots of j1 students who weren't massive MMA fans but their youthfulness brought a good atmosphere and I didn't see any hassle out of any of them. As the week went on the behaviour got a bit better but still smatterings of it everywhere.

To be honest I barely saw any trouble. I was there from Thursday to Sunday and I thought for the most part the Irish were very well behaved.
    For me the weigh in, TUF finale at the cosmopolitan and McGregor fight and Craic after was the highlights for me. I really don't mind it lasted 13 seconds because it was a mix of relief and joy after for me to be honest. And for hours after the mgm was rocking! Some Craic!

• Advertisement

Aldo via Submission
    Back to work today. Shoot me.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Saipanne wrote: »
    I was thinking he should drop to bantamweight maybe?

Regardless, I think he needs to take the time off, but the cut to 135 might actually be tough for Mendes. It seems 145 is pretty much the perfect weight for him.

He's a real stocky, well built guy, and that suits his wrestling game and his style of fighting quite well. I wonder how a cut to 135 would affect him in that regards, I really don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,051 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Aldo via Decision
    Saipanne wrote: »
    There was a lot of scum alright, but I was staying in the mgm so after the fight they scuttled back to whatever hovels they were staying in. I barely saw them bar fight night.

One of the lads sent me on a video, the lobby of the MGM at 11am in the morning, two separate fights going on between Irish dopes

Both fights lasted longer then the Aldo/McGregor fight also

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,051 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Aldo via Decision
    Jon Jones says that if Ronda Rousey gets a rematch, Jose Aldo also deserves one

I understand where he is coming from, Rousey didn't just lose she got completely outclassed and her getting an immediate rematch is a bit of a joke but then again she is the poster girl of the UFC so its not unexpected, Aldo on the other hand is not and with the other things going on, as in Edgar needs to be given a title shot! and McGregor wanting to move up and take another belt, not to mention Aldo needing some time in the octagon to see where he is at before going for a title again I just can't see how it happens other then inventing another interim belt in the event Conor is going up to fight for the LW one and Edgar won't want to wait too long, he is no spring chicken anymore

Rousey of course should also have to fight her way back to the top but hypocrisy is something that has never gotten in the way of business

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭VisibleGorilla

Aldo via Decision
    Should he be offered it? Maybe.

Should he take it? Hell no.

Himself and his team went with a very stupid plan, he was going to stand and trade with Conor.. he was going to fight the way he always does and he simply cannot do that against Conor. John said they thought he would do what he did or go for the takedown straight away... he needs to use his BBJ, he will never win the fight standing.

Have him fight Max, winner gets a shot. If Aldo cannot beat Max he has zero chance against Conor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

JR6 wrote: »
    To be honest I barely saw any trouble. I was there from Thursday to Sunday and I thought for the most part the Irish were very well behaved.
    For me the weigh in, TUF finale at the cosmopolitan and McGregor fight and Craic after was the highlights for me. I really don't mind it lasted 13 seconds because it was a mix of relief and joy after for me to be honest. And for hours after the mgm was rocking! Some Craic!

Yeah I was there since Tuesday, and from Tuesday to Thursday when there was less Irish, it was more evident. Obviously Vegas is a massive place so you could easily go the week without seeing any trouble. Saw a few lads jumping on tables and kicking drinks off them on one night.

Obviously overall the crowd was good, but I just couldn't deny that there were some bad eggs. As there will always be, understandably. I've been to dozens of music festivals and always heard of this kind of behaviour but you could easily miss it aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Should he be offered it? Maybe.

Should he take it? Hell no.

Himself and his team went with a very stupid plan, he was going to stand and trade with Conor.. he was going to fight the way he always does and he simply cannot do that against Conor. John said they thought he would do what he did or go for the takedown straight away... he needs to use his BBJ, he will never win the fight standing.

Have him fight Max, winner gets a shot. If Aldo cannot beat Max he has zero chance against Conor.
    i'm new enough the the sport but could you say they went in with NO plan...conor repeated over and over what was going to happen...and they did exactly what he said in the first 10 seconds...did they just think he'd take the left and move on?

i'd give aldo credit for putting every ounce of his being into making that right connect before he dropped!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

cloudatlas wrote: »

clutching at straws.
    Losing more respect for that camp as the days go on.
    He lost, it happens, deal with it.

I think McGregor to Aldo is what Holm is to Rousey: The right kind of fighter to counteract their normal style.
    Maybe not quite as much as Holm Rousey but there is definitely an element of that there IMO.

Aldo via Decision
    i'm new enough the the sport but could you say they went in with NO plan...conor repeated over and over what was going to happen...and they did exactly what he said in the first 10 seconds...did they just think he'd take the left and move on?

i'd give aldo credit for putting every ounce of his being into making that right connect before he dropped!
    #
    I'm going off what his camp were saying during the embedded, what Aldo actually did and the training he was doing backstage before the fight.

The plan was to stand with Conor and follow Aldo's usual style.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

The thing is, if you're the only champ the division has ever had, unbeaten in 10 years and the p4p number one, you're probably going to be confident enough going with the style that got you there.

He obviously didn't rate Conor high enough to see him as a real danger. The trouble is, I think he still doesnt rate him as he (and his camp) thinks McGregor got lucky, so if a rematch does happen, he may aproach it in exactly the same way. I certainly hope he does and with the same result, only I'd like to see it go to the second or third round.

Of course I'm a relative newbie to the sport so I could be completely wrong.

Aldo via Decision
    I would hope he is very aware of the dangers of Conor but his team did the same exact thing to Renan Bararo, he was a dominate champ like Aldo, was completely demolished and got an intimidate rematch.

When it eventually happened his plan was exactly the same and he got destroyed again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

The cornering of Barao was worse than Rouseys when he was getting destroyed the instructions were the most pathetic thing ive ever heard in mma,just go and win I think was said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

McGregor via Decision

his right didnt connect...it was a fake, he connected with the left hand milliseconds after being KTFO

cloudatlas wrote: »

clutching at straws.

ha ha ha brilliant, so conor is carrying a horseshoe in his jocks after the wraps are signed!!! hilarious and also it implies he hit aldo so hard, he needed assistance.

Now if aldo got a rematch, what do they tell em?? eh Jose this guys hands are so heavy, if he grazes you, you're goosed!!!:D

brilliant....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Aldo via Submission
    RonanP77 wrote: »
    The thing is, if you're the only champ the division has ever had, unbeaten in 10 years and the p4p number one, you're probably going to be confident enough going with the style that got you there.

He obviously didn't rate Conor high enough to see him as a real danger. The trouble is, I think he still doesnt rate him as he (and his camp) thinks McGregor got lucky, so if a rematch does happen, he may aproach it in exactly the same way. I certainly hope he does and with the same result, only I'd like to see it go to the second or third round.

Of course I'm a relative newbie to the sport so I could be completely wrong.

This.

When you're champ for that length of time you back your abilities. No doubt Aldo wanted to land that combo followed by a leg kick to send a message to Conor. Underestimated Conor's speed and technique and that's all she wrote. Out cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Isn't it possible that he just got lucky? Can't be ruled out surely.

Aldo via Submission
    degsie wrote: »

No. It's like saying Zidane got lucky with that CL final volley. It's idiotic to suggest it.

I can categorically say that there was 0% luck involved with Conor landing that punch and KO'ing Aldo.

There is no lucky strikes in any form of combat,If your throwing a punch its to land on the other person simple as that.

completely, if he was throwing an elbow!!! he threw a punch, by conscious decision to finish aldo!! thrown with intent!! where the hell does luck come into it????

• Registered Users Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

McGregor via Decision
    He's not lucky in the sense that the punch Conor threw landed perfectly.

He might be considered lucky in the sense that Aldo's brain rattled around in his skull the way it did. But that's clutching at straws.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

McGregor via Decision
    Said a few pages back that one loss that wouldn't ruin his legacy but what came after would do damage, seems to be going down that road, the whinging is really tarnishing him at the minute, no luck involved in the KO just skill from McGregor

He's not lucky in the sense that the punch Conor threw landed perfectly.

He might be considered lucky in the sense that Aldo's brain rattled around in his skull the way it did. But that's clutching at straws.

The whole aim of his precision punch to the chin is to scramble Aldos brain,Same way you'd throw a body shot,damage the body and hurt the opponents gas tank,it was perfection at the highest level of martial arts,Conor told the world what would happen and Aldo still walked into his trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Ah would you go way with that. Slow it down, mcgregor managed that attack, eyes on Aldo all the way. Mcgregor normally opens with a flash reverse kick , this time he was different, he side kicked to Aldos leg, Aldo charge winding up his 1-2 followed by his round house kick, Mcgregor chopped him down as went through his combination.

Not a great screen capture, you can see how he paws away Aldos over extend straight right, and returns a beautiful left hook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Not the first time he's done that exact thing so no.

Some people may say there was a bit of luck involved as he connected just before Aldo and that took most of the sting out of Aldo's left (which was still a big punch) but he just timed it perfectly. Pretty much the perfect definition of a dangerous counter puncher.

Advertisement