Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 194: McGregor vs Aldo ***READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Agreed.

Surely an ex champ no matter how long they were a champion should be entitled to a rematch.

Why,

Do they replay football finals or rugby or golf if a current champion is beaten?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Aldo via Decision
    JustTheOne wrote: »
    Why,

Do they replay football finals or rugby or golf if a current champion is beaten?
    It seems to be a common theme in UFC and my point was to UFC not other sports.

Gamb!t wrote: »
    It seems to be a common theme in UFC and my point was to UFC not other sports.

Oh right get ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Aldo via Submission
    Why,

Tournaments and league formats aren't comparable to combat sports where match makers decide who fights who.

I think Aldo deserves a rematch but I also think Frankie Edgar should be up first because he was promised it. I think Conor should have to fight Frankie in his next fight before he even thinks about going up to 155.

But after that, let him fight at 155 for UFC 200 and if he's still 145 champion he can defend the 145 belt against the winner of Max and Aldo at the end of 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I understand people complaining that the likes of Rousey get instant rematches, but you have to be realistic. The alternative to Rousey v Holm 2 is Holm v Tate. Literally nobody cares about that fight.

Take Cain for instance. He's getting the rematch. What's the alternative? JDS v Overeem happens tomorrow for the undoubted #1 contender. The alternative is Werdum v Stipe. Which again, could never headline a PPV. He needs another big win.

The alternative to McGregor v Aldo 2 is McGregor vs Edgar, or potentially McGregor vs Cerrone. Both unbelievable options. We've been sitting through Aldo v McGregor stuff for almost a year now, so no thanks. Leave Aldo get another big win, and then McGregor v Aldo 2 is fresh and a huge fight again.

Also, Aldo pulling out of so many fights can't help his case. What happens if he pulls out again? It's absolutely possible, then UFC and Conor are backed into a corner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Ufc 200 conor to get co main and main event.

Defending belt at 145 against Aldo. When that's over cue cowboys music for conor to challenge for 155 belt.

Obviously not gonna happen but I'd say conor would be up for it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

McGregor via Decision
    Aldo fights on average once a year, **** that.....let have 2 fights in 2016, the first being Holloway, why give him another instant shot

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

McGregor via Decision
    Aldo is going to have to face the fact that he needs to get off his arse now and build a challenge. He has fought what, less than once a year? That's maybe ok for a champion waiting for a contender, its certainly NOT ok if you aren't champion and you want to stake a claim to a shot.

I dunno if Aldo is going to be up for that tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

McGregor via Decision
    I don't understand how the UFC could sell a rematch of McGregor - Aldo?

"Hey fight fans! How about McGregor - Aldo 2? I know it only lasted 13 secs the last time, but that's most likely not going to happen again. So give us $49.99 for the best minute of your life."

There's no way the UFC sells the same or more PPVs for McGregor - Aldo 2 as an Edgar, dos Anjos or the money fight McGregor - Cerrone...so their is 0 financial incentive for the UFC to do the rematch.

Is it fair? No

Does the UFC care? No

Aldo via Submission
    Hazys wrote: »
    I don't understand how the UFC could sell a rematch of McGregor - Aldo?

"Hey fight fans! How about McGregor - Aldo 2? I know it only lasted 13 secs the last time, but that's most likely not going to happen again. So give us $49.99 for the best minute of your life."

There's no way the UFC sells the same or more PPVs for McGregor - Aldo 2 as an Edgar, dos Anjos or the money fight McGregor - Cerrone...so their is 0 financial incentive for the UFC to do the rematch.

Is it fair? No

Does the UFC care? No

If he beats Max, and I think he will, there's no way they can justify NOT giving him a title shot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

McGregor via Decision
    If he beats Max, and I think he will, there's no way they can justify NOT giving him a title shot.

I'm talking there's no chance of a rematch straight away, defly a rematch if he wins a fight or two convincingly

Aldo via Submission
    Hazys wrote: »
    I'm talking there's no chance of a rematch straight away, defly a rematch if he wins a fight or two convincingly

One match is all he needs.

Aldo is #1 contender, Max is #4 and Chad is #3.

Chad should be taking at least 6 months off with no contact to heal up after the last two loses. That leaves Aldo and Max as the only genuine title contenders after Frankie.

Frankie should be Conor's next fight, he earned it and he was promised it.

On the same card or around the same time you could do a #1 contenders fight between Aldo and Max with the winner getting a title shot against the winner of Conor and Frankie.

That's the only series of fights that makes sense right now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

I think a lot people are presuming Aldo beats Holloway,I wouldnt be so sure.

Aldo via Submission
    Gamebred wrote: »
    I think a lot people are presuming Aldo beats Holloway,I wouldnt be so sure.

I think he will, but I like Max so I hope he doesn't.

I think he will, but I like Max so I hope he doesn't.

Max is very elusive,and it will be either the worst or best time to catch Aldo coming off a ko his chin might be gone or else he will be more determined than ever but I could see Max Beating him with his slick movement hes in and out like lightening.

Aldo via Submission
    Max is very elusive,and it will be either the worst or best time to catch Aldo coming off a ko his chin might be gone or else he will be more determined than ever but I could see Max Beating him with his slick movement hes in and out like lightening.

Yup, but if this refocuses Aldo and makes him hungrier than ever and he comes out the other end as good as he ever was, I'd hate to be Max in the cage with him.

Yup, but if this refocuses Aldo and makes him hungrier than ever and he comes out the other end as good as he ever was, I'd hate to be Max in the cage with him.

The thing is max is so young he could lose,miss his title shot and still be a fw champ in a few years hes only gone 24.

Aldo via Submission
    The thing is max is so young he could lose,miss his title shot and still be a fw champ in a few years hes only gone 24.

Totally. He's at the place Rory was a few years ago. Already a big name, all the skills in the world, potential to get even better and has age on his side. Max will be the 145 Champion in my opinion, but I don't see it happening just yet. Frankie, Aldo and Conor (and Chad imo) are just that little bit better than him right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Aldo via Decision
    DeVore wrote: »
    Aldo is going to have to face the fact that he needs to get off his arse now and build a challenge. He has fought what, less than once a year? That's maybe ok for a champion waiting for a contender, its certainly NOT ok if you aren't champion and you want to stake a claim to a shot.

I dunno if Aldo is going to be up for that tbh...

Aldo defended the belt twice in 2014, twice in 2013, once in 2012, twice in 2011, twice in 2010, fought four times in 2009. (Check how he stacks up to the rest and you will see he is anything but the inactive fighter some people try to portray him as)

He does not on average fight once a year/less then once a year

This has been shown time after time, you would wonder do people actually check anything out at times.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

McGregor via Decision
    Ok fair point, he's been more active than I realised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

McGregor via Decision
    If the July Aldo McGregor fight had of went ahead when it was supposed to I wouldn't mind if last week had of been a rematch. But we've all had 12 months of build up to 13 seconds of action. I doubt fans want a rematch now as it could be another 6 months in the making and then still has the possibility of an Aldo pull out hanging over it.

I'd love to see him fight Frankie next, though Kavanagh did say on Saturday that he doesn't want Conor cutting that amount of weight again. No doubt Conor has other ideas though;=)

Looking back at the fight diaz is a melter, he was constantly roaring at aldo just before the fight when he was staring down. Didn't stop mouthing.

The right hand conor dodged was a jet shorter than I thought.

Conor didn't have to move much to avoid it like his previous ones where he ducks and then connects with the left hook, he didn't have to duck for this one just move back a few inches.

Such a sloppy punch by aldo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Aldo via Submission
    Looking back at the fight diaz is a melter, he was constantly roaring at aldo just before the fight when he was staring down. Didn't stop mouthing.

Conor didn't have to move much to avoid it like his previous ones where he ducks and then connects with the left hook, he didn't have to duck for this one just move back a few inches.

Was it not just a setup punch for the left? Not a punch intended to do damage but intended to distract from the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Aldo via Decision

It was a fake cross to set up the left

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

McGregor via Decision
    From article written by JK here http://www.the42.ie/john-kavanagh-column-18-december-2511017-Dec2015/
    What’s next for Conor? The lightweight belt. We’re going to take a little break from that cut down to 145lbs, even though this was one was the easiest so far. But in saying that, ‘easy’ is a relative term. It still requires a level of discipline that 99.9% of people wouldn’t have, never mind be able to compete as well the following day.
    So the next step will be winning the title in the 155lbs division. The current champion, Rafael dos Anjos, defends the belt against Donald Cerrone tomorrow night. Regardless of who comes out on top, we’ve been given the green light to fight the winner.
    We believe that’ll be in April but I’m looking forward to this weekend’s fight too. I’ll be watching eagerly to see who it is. I’m expecting a close fight but if I was to bet — which I won’t — I’d say Rafael dos Anjos will win it.
    If Frankie Edgar wants a shot at the featherweight title or Aldo wants a rematch, we’re fine with that too. But they’ll have to wait, because that lightweight belt is next on the agenda.

I guess that's that then. Conor is going to 155 for a direct shot at the title. Its incredible news really, by next April he could be a double world champion. Regardless of what happens Aldo and Edgar will also get their shot but they're just resting on ice for now.

Was it not just a setup punch for the left? Not a punch intended to do damage but intended to distract from the left.

Ah i know yeah. Just people had put up footage of his previous knockouts doing the same technique but in that footage they were going for the punch.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    From article written by JK here http://www.the42.ie/john-kavanagh-column-18-december-2511017-Dec2015/

I guess that's that then. Conor is going to 155 for a direct shot at the title. Its incredible news really, by next April he could be a double world champion. Regardless of what happens Aldo and Edgar will also get their shot but they're just resting on ice for now.

Do you not have to beat a few in the weight class before getting a title shot?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Aldo via KO/TKO
    Do you not have to beat a few in the weight class before getting a title shot?

Usually you would but champion v champion = $$$$$

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

dave1982 wrote: »
    Ufc 200 conor to get co main and main event.

Defending belt at 145 against Aldo. When that's over cue cowboys music for conor to challenge for 155 belt.

Obviously not gonna happen but I'd say conor would be up for it
    thats how it used to work #oldskool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Muahahaha wrote: »

Would need to be a quick enough finish for it to happen in April. If it's a 5 round war then you'd think it's Edgar 145 in April and Cowboy/RDA 155 in July

Advertisement