Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Monday - Head Coach changes 2016

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Hue Jackson saga continues apace.

Re: the #Giants HC interview, I’m told the plan is for Hue Jackson to arrive in NYC Wed nite & interview Thurs am at t/ latest, at this time

— Josina Anderson (@JosinaAnderson) January 12, 2016

Giants are "serious" about Hue Jackson, source says. 49ers, Browns are very interested, but Jackson really wants to talk to Giants first.

— Ralph Vacchiano (@RVacchianoNYDN) January 12, 2016

Doesn't seem like much will happen until after these NFL meetings in Houston anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Do head coaches have agents?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Do head coaches have agents?

I'd imagine so. And not just head coaches. I'd say anyone signing a contract in the NFL has one so assistant coaches too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

adrian522 wrote: »

Giants are "serious" about Hue Jackson, source says. 49ers, Browns are very interested, but Jackson really wants to talk to Giants first.

— Ralph Vacchiano (@RVacchianoNYDN) January 12, 2016

I'm trying to work out if it is better to be "serious" or "very interested". "Very serious" would probably be better than either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

adrian522 wrote: »
    I'm trying to work out if it is better to be "serious" or "very interested". "Very serious" would probably be better than either.

I think it's just an indication that the Giants aren't just interviewing him to be compliant with the Rooney rule.

49ers are meeting with TC today.

• Advertisement

So, according the usual suspects on twitter, the browns are making a big push for Jackson and for now it seems the 49ers are looking elsewhere.

The reason for this may be that the Browns are willing to give Jackson some control over personnel decisions whereas the 49ers are not. All rumour at this stage but doesn't look like Jackson is going to SF.

In a rather worrying twist the Chargers LB coach Mike Nolan has stepped down "to pursue other opportunities".

Hopefully just coincidence but if he was to be re-hired I feel the 49ers fan base would literally explode. Literally.

This is what a 49ers beat reporter (who is very friendly with management) had to say about Nolan:
    Don't laugh: He remains a favorite of 49ers management.

The Yorks love nothing more than familiarity and yes they're very familiar with-and fond of-Nolan from his three-plus seasons coaching the 49ers. (Before Mike Singletary who was before Harbaugh who was before Tomsula.)

OK, those weren't very good 49ers years, but the Yorks enjoy grading on a curve, and at this point, after 4-10 with Tomsula, Nolan's rebuild (alongside McCloughan) seems like a positively uplifting experience.

Nolan is 56, rarin' for another head coaching job, and I know Jed York still thinks wistfully of the image-conscious, babbling, PR-driven Nolan era.

Problem: Nolan is wholly 100% only defense, as he proved during his 49ers stint. He is clueless about the QB.

But Nolan has good NFL connections-his first 49ers OC was Mike McCarthy, his second one was Norv Turner. It's possible Nolan could hook up with another strong OC and sell himself to the Yorks again.

I can say this: The more York wearied of Harbaugh, the more he pined for the Nolan days, and that's what led to Tomsula the last search. Also remember: York reportedly cried when he had to fire Nolan in 2008.

Hey, maybe the 49ers can hire Nolan, then use their first-round pick on a QB that Nolan can totally screw up (and pass on a Cal QB along the way).

Color me concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

• Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭nerd69

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    really dislike these hate mongering articles Stephen a. Smith would be proud

• Registered Users Posts: 10,834 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

nerd69 wrote: »

How is it hate mongering?

How is it hate mongering?

Hate mongering is the wrong phrase but It's like the whole chip jelly is a racist thing there are black head coaches in the league and there are more being hired every year this kind of article creates anger and controversy where there is no need for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,834 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Hate mongering is the wrong phrase but It's like the whole chip jelly is a racist thing there are black head coaches in the league and there are more being hired every year this kind of article creates anger and controversy where there is no need for it

I disagree. The article just points out that, when other factors are allowed for, there is evidence of discrimination in hiring coaches at all levels based on race. There's only no need for it if you think it's incorrect (which the statistics apparently don't support) or if you think it doesn't matter. Otherwise there is a need for it.

The statistics discussed say there is a need for it.

The statistics discussed say there is a need for it.

Stats are not everything there are few male nurses that statistically is an issue but really it's not there are other careers that are dominated by one race look at nba players or nfl receivers both black dominated look at nfl qbs White dominated that does not automatically mean there is an issue

Stats are not everything there are few male nurses that statistically is an issue but really it's not there are other careers that are dominated by one race look at nba players or nfl receivers both black dominated look at nfl qbs White dominated that does not automatically mean there is an issue

Eh...you're in a strange wonderland on this I think!!

Eh...you're in a strange wonderland on this I think!!

Could well be I suppose

The 49ers interview with Tom Coughlin is over. As far as I can see no further interviews are planned.

I'd guess they will schedule a second interview with any candidates they want to proceed with. The next big one though is Hue Jackson interviewing with the Giants tomorrow morning.

After that things should be a bit more clear as to where he will end up then things may start to fall into place.

One other name I've heard mention of is Mike Shula, the OC of Carolina but as they are still involved in the playoffs he can't be interviewed until next week I think.

Well this is a bit of a kick in the balls, he'd rather go to Cleveland...

Hue Jackson will become the next head coach of the Cleveland Browns. "They made me feel comfortable," he just told me.

— Michael Silver (@MikeSilver) January 13, 2016

49ers lost the candidate they wanted to the Cleveland Browns. Just run that one around your head. Whew.

— Tim Kawakami (@timkawakami) January 13, 2016

I think Baalke and Jed are a big problem in San Fran. I remember hearing on Ross Tucker's podcast how Baalke leaked a lot of things to the press about Harbaugh. Although it must be worse than that if Jackson picked the Browns over the 49ers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Disappointed Jackson didn't even interview with the Giants

Would have thought that is a better job than the Browns

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

I would like to sit down with Jackson and find out what train of thought he has for the team he chose. Did he feel he has a better template to start fresh without the pressures of instant success or did the thought of taking teams with better rosters scare him or did the Browns just promise him the sun moon and stars and a pocket full of green.

Same with every coach you always got to wonder if they had multiple options why they settled on the one they did.

JCTO wrote: »
    I would like to sit down with Jackson and find out what train of thought he has for the team he chose. Did he feel he has a better template to start fresh without the pressures of instant success or did the thought of taking teams with better rosters scare him or did the Browns just promise him the sun moon and stars and a pocket full of green.

Same with every coach you always got to wonder if they had multiple options why they settled on the one they did.

I've heard it said that the browns may have been willing to give him some degree of control over personnel decisions, where in SF that would almost certainly not have been offered.

All rumours though from people who have no idea what was discussed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

didnt even interview with the Titans, a lot of fans were very high on him

Adam Shefter was on Philadelphia radio today discussing the various vacancies, his thoughts below:

Eagles: He thinks they're looking for a long-term option, which would not be Tom Coughlin, given his age. He thinks Ben McAdoo might be the favorite.

Giants: He handicaps Doug Marrone as the favorite. He said the Giants want to find a head coach who has head coaching experience. That would limit them to Marrone and Mike Smith at this point. They could change their mind, which would keep McAdoo in the picture. He did mention Steve Spagnuolo, but did not think he was a likely option.

Titans: He said they are planning on hiring a general manager first, and want that done by the end of the week.

Bucs: He pointed to their interest in Dirk Koetter, but said the 49ers are also interested, and Koetter is likely to end up as HC either way by the end of this process.

49ers: Doesn't believe that Chip Kelly will end up an NFL HC job this year.

Expectation that the titans will likely hire a GM tomorrow, they are interviewing Mularkey and Marrone tomorrow, so the writers expect a deal is 99% done with a GM candidate

• Registered Users Posts: 37,675 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think Mike Smith would be a good fit for the Giants. He seems like a very good head coach and I think the Falcons fell into the trap of thinking they were better than they were when they fired him. He took over a really bad franchise and made them good but unfortunately for him they had to deal with the Sean Payton and Drew Brees at their best while he was there.

I think he will do a good job wherever he lands next.

Mike Shanahan being strongly linked with the 49ers job again. It'd be interesting to see how he does if he goes there. RGIII might end up there if he takes the job.

McAdoo will be the Giants HC with Joe Philbin as OC.

Looking like the Titans will hrie Jon Robinson from the Buccs as GM, however some rumours leaking out that all of the rejected candidates said no to mike mularkey as HC which is why they didnt get the job

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

glued wrote: »
    McAdoo will be the Giants HC with Joe Philbin as OC.

I'm very underwhelmed at this appointment

I hope it works out but strange to get rid of TC yet promote Mc who has 0 HC experience and keep Spags as well

With keeping Reece that is basically saying TC was the only problem last year

• Advertisement

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    I'm very underwhelmed at this appointment

I hope it works out but strange to get rid of TC yet promote Mc who has 0 HC experience and keep Spags as well

With keeping Reece that is basically saying TC was the only problem last year

The Giants wanted to keep McAdoo no matter what. Eli has reportedly approached Mara and Tisch numerous times about keeping McAdoo and appointing an offensive guy like Marrone would have surely been the end of McAdoo as OC. I have to say I wasn't that impressed with McAdoo and wouldn't be as convinced by him as an OC but the Eagles were going to hire him so he must be impressing a couple of people.

I think ultimately Eli got his way here. Keeping Spags is a mistake but I would expect major improvements next year from the Giants. With Reese's job on the line and potentially $50~ in cap room I would expect Reese to be very aggressive in free agency and the draft.

Advertisement