Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Monday - Head Coach changes 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

You'd think they would have just waited until after Sunday! I'd say the Titans are already on the phone to him

• Registered Users Posts: 17,871 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Titans will be all over him. Who's on the hotseat elsewhere? Pettine, Pagano and Coughlin are goners while Garrett, Payton, Caldwell and Tomsula could go either way

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Chip Kelly gets the boot

Horrendous personnel decisions all round by Kelly. The roster he leaves is much worse than the one he inherited. Giving him GM powers after what he had done in his first 2 seasons was madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Paully D wrote: »
    Horrendous personnel decisions all round by Kelly. The roster he leaves is much worse than the one he inherited. Giving him GM powers after what he had done in his first 2 seasons was madness.

Roster he inherited had won 4 games the season before. We'll have to see about this current roster in future (dont think the D are bad), but saying he's left them worse than starting off is a stretch

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Roster he inherited had won 4 games the season before. We'll have to see about this current roster in future (dont think the D are bad), but saying he's left them worse than starting off is a stretch

It was definitely time for a change. Reid had run his course (and then some) and freshening up was needed. However, man-for-man if you compare the roster he took over when he arrived in comparison to the one he leaves today, I think the one he inherited is better.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I'm not sure I'd want him in nashville tbh, i think there will be better options on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 37,868 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I wouldn't be surprised if he goes back to college football. I know he has already said he wants to remain in the NFL but I can only imagine the staggering contracts that he will be offered by some of the bigger college teams. It might be hard to turn them down if he doesn't pick up a job quickly in the NFL.

Per ESPN, his need for personnel control is what ultimately led to the dismissal. They claim he would have been allowed to keep his job if he had relinquished his GM duties but refused and wanted no part of it:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25430983/eagles-release-coach-chip-kelly-from-his-contract
    According to ESPN.com, Kelly's need for personnel control is what led to his firing. Lurie offered to let Kelly keep his job if Kelly would be willing to give up personnel control, but Kelly wanted no part of that offer.

What franchise in their right mind would allow him full control over personnel decisions? He has dismantled the Eagles roster by making stupid moves and his drafts have been below average at best, awful at worst.

Watch the Browns hand him the keys now as they'll think he can get a tune out of Manziel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Looks likely that TC will "resign" from the Giants once the season ends, seems to be the decent way out as I highly doubt the John Mara would want to officially fire him. Badly needed at this point, Jerry Reese should also go as GM but reports seem to indicate that won't happen.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Looks likely that TC will "resign" from the Giants once the season ends, seems to be the decent way out as I highly doubt the John Mara would want to officially fire him. Badly needed at this point, Jerry Reese should also go as GM but reports seem to indicate that won't happen.

A real shame for his reign to end like this, but I think both parties will benefit from moving on. It'd be great if it was announced he was stepping down during the week and it was made public that the Eagles game would be his last one as Giants head coach. He could get the reception he deserves on the way out.

• Advertisement

A real shame for his reign to end like this, but I think both parties will benefit from moving on. It'd be great if it was announced he was stepping down during the week and it was made public that the Eagles game would be his last one as Giants head coach. He could get the reception he deserves on the way out.

It will be a pity and it might seem crass but he would have been better off leaving after his 2nd fluke superbowl. We have been a pretty mediocre team for at least 6 seasons with a record of 8-8, 10-6, 9-7, 7-9, 6-10 & lets say 7-9 this year.

Had we not lucked into that 2nd SB he should have been gone at the end of the 7-9 or 6-10 year but he is a 2 time SB winning coach which bought him way too much goodwill IMO.

It's not all on TC mind, Jerry Reese needs to take at least half the blame as well but seems he will get away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

I actually think Chip would be a good fit for Tennessee if he gets over the fact GMs manage the personnel and he changes his attitude when dealing with Pros and not college kids.

I put this in other thread:

The problem with Chip this year he moved to fast making moves on his roster considering he did so well the 2 seasons previous. Also signing Bradford before the draft and not going for Mariota in the Draft was a big mistake considering that is where he was going with his Eagles. It also seems he was depending far too much on the Zone read which alienated a back like Murray who from High School through the NFL played in more conventional North South schemes and didn't really gel with the Zone Read system.

His final downfall then for me is that NFL players don't react to college style coaching. these are men not college kids and apparently Chip tried to act the same way he would with College kids.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

JCTO wrote: »
    I actually think Chip would be a good fit for Tennessee if he gets over the fact GMs manage the personnel and he changes his attitude when dealing with Pros and not college kids.

I put this in other thread:

The problem with Chip this year he moved to fast making moves on his roster considering he did so well the 2 seasons previous. Also signing Bradford before the draft and not going for Mariota in the Draft was a big mistake considering that is where he was going with his Eagles. It also seems he was depending far too much on the Zone read which alienated a back like Murray who from High School through the NFL played in more conventional North South schemes and didn't really gel with the Zone Read system.

His final downfall then for me is that NFL players don't react to college style coaching. these are men not college kids and apparently Chip tried to act the same way he would with College kids.

yeah agree, this is the big thing.

Ruston Webster (current GM) is likely done after 5 wins in 2 seasons, so if chip is coming in, we are going to be need a steely GM to keep him in line.

I'm not au fait with GM candidates, I know the current deputy GM of the Ravens is well regarded but thats about it.

it's a gamble to take him on, but could it be worth the risk..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

There were a lot of disappointing performances by teams this year and I expect a lot of musical chairs going on.

As for Kelly - personally I think anyone who hires him would need their head examined.

yeah agree, this is the big thing.

Ruston Webster (current GM) is likely done after 5 wins in 2 seasons, so if chip is coming in, we are going to be need a steely GM to keep him in line.

I'm not au fait with GM candidates, I know the current deputy GM of the Ravens is well regarded but thats about it.

it's a gamble to take him on, but could it be worth the risk..

Eric DeCosta is the chap you are thinking of, he will indeed be in very high demand.

DeCosta is highly coveted every year but never goes anywhere. It'll be the same again this offseason. I know it wasn't even suggested by Heli, but there's no way he'll leave Baltimore for a situation like the Titans or similar.

He has a very handy number with the Ravens and is paid well for it. He has also seen first hand how poorly others that have worked under Newsome have done elsewhere when they have decided to give it a go so I'm sure that plays on his mind too. He'll stay with the Ravens and walk into Newsome's job whenever Ozzie is done.

http://espn.go.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/19241/why-eric-decosta-has-remained-with-the-ravens
    No one can question the loyalty and patience of Baltimore Ravens assistant general manager Eric DeCosta. But, until Wednesday's pre-draft press conference, there is one question that has never been asked: why is DeCosta so loyal and patient?

Since 2009, DeCosta has pulled his name out of the Seattle Seahawks' general manager search and has turned down four teams (the Indianapolis Colts, St. Louis Rams, Chicago Bears and New York Jets) when they sought permission to speak to him. General manager Ozzie Newsome, 59, said he doesn't have any timetable on when he will retire, and DeCosta doesn't appear in a rush to become the final decision-maker for a team.

"Every day I come in and work with my friends, and I think it’s a relationship business," DeCosta said. "In the end, personal ambitions aside, all you have is really your reputation and your friends and your enjoyment in life."

The Ravens are extremely lucky to have a seamless transition in place. Others under Newsome (Phil Savage, James Harris and George Kokinis) have gone elsewhere to become general managers and have failed to match the level of success they had in Baltimore.

Many will say DeCosta is closer to Newsome than his predecessors ever were. In DeCosta's first year as a scouting assistant, he remembers sitting alone in the stands at the NFL combine when he heard Newsome yelling to him. DeCosta was invited back to "the perch," the press box where only the likes of Dick Vermeil, Dennis Green and Mike Holmgren would sit. It became a tradition for Newsome and DeCosta to hang out there together while the rest of the scouts work in the stands.

DeCosta, who will turn 44 on Friday, is now just as ingrained in the Ravens' draft process as Newsome. They see players the same way and essentially talk the same language when evaluating prospects.

The Ravens have certainly rewarded DeCosta over the years with a new title (he was promoted to assistant GM in May 2012) and a strong financial commitment. DeCosta's strength has been organization and thoroughness, which are evident on draft day. Since taking control of running the draft in 2005 (Newsome has the final say on all picks), the Ravens have drafted six Pro Bowl players (defensive tackle Haloti Ngata, fullback Le'Ron McClain, guards Marshal Yanda and Ben Grubbs, running back Ray Rice and linebacker C.J. Mosley) and one Super Bowl Most Valuable Player (quarterback Joe Flacco).

"I sit with these guys every day and give everybody a hard time, get a chance to play jokes on everybody every day, and it’s just fun," DeCosta said. "I enjoy work. I enjoy coming in here. We have a great owner, awesome stadium and best fan base in the country, so what more do you want?”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭tripperman

paulie21 wrote: »
    Titans will be all over him. Who's on the hotseat elsewhere? Pettine, Pagano and Coughlin are goners while Garrett, Payton, Caldwell and Tomsula could go either way

Add McCoy to that list he's got to go

Lane Johnson, Chip Kelly's first draft pick as Eagles head coach, on Kelly:

CXhUujpUwAAWjY-.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 39,690 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Lane Johnson, Chip Kelly's first draft pick as Eagles head coach, on Kelly:

CXhUujpUwAAWjY-.jpg

That's very interesting as the owner Jeff lurie said that the next coach it will be a collaborative effort suggesting chip didn't do that. Also he said that the next coach will have to open their hearts to everyone in the organisation. I think it's clear that chip wanted to run it like a college team but we saw in Tampa bay that doesn't work.

Seems confirmed that Paganos contract won't be renewed with the colts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Caldwells situation is up in the air until a new GM is hired. Seems to be fairly 50/50 at the moment. One thing that seems very likely is that unless he is head coach Teryl Austin won't be in Detroit next year, so I've resigned myself to losing him next year. I do hope that whoever comes in keeps Cooter though. The difference with him as OC is night and day. He just seems to know how to get the best out of Stafford.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,868 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It was definitely time for a change. Reid had run his course (and then some) and freshening up was needed. However, man-for-man if you compare the roster he took over when he arrived in comparison to the one he leaves today, I think the one he inherited is better.

I'm not sure it's fair to say that Reid had ran his course in Philly. He had a very bad last season but he lost his son during TC that year. I can't even imagine how somebody could deal with that while managing an NFL team.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'm not sure it's fair to say that Reid had ran his course in Philly. He had a very bad last season but he lost his son during TC that year. I can't even imagine how somebody could deal with that while managing an NFL team.

I completely agree re: his son. I should have made my post a bit clearer but I meant to emphasize that Reid himself probably needed a clean break too. They'd gone .500 the previous season, had a terrible year in his last season and then there was the tragedy with his son too. It was probably best for all concerned, including Reid himself, that a clean break happened.

He seems to be completely rejuvenated in Kansas and has done very well there, I'm just not sure if after 14 seasons, so many near misses, 2 playoff less seasons in a row (including 1 awful season, and 2 consecutive one-and-done playoff appearances in 2009 and 2010) if his message had the same impact any more. It happens. Things become stale. It doesn't make him a bad coach or anything (and he's clearly not).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Hopefully Nick Saban can be persuaded to take the Colts job. Will be tough to get him out of the college game but what an appointment he would be despite his stint in Miami. Would also run Grigson which would be another plus.

Hopefully Nick Saban can be persuaded to take the Colts job. Will be tough to get him out of the college game but what an appointment he would be despite his stint in Miami. Would also run Grigson which would be another plus.

There's not a hope in hell of Saban ever coming back to the NFL, IMO.

He has the perfect job. Hero worship in the area, a dominant team almost every year after year after year, a college in which he doesn't even need to push that hard to get players to as it speaks for itself in terms of success, he has a style of coaching that is best suited to college kids and not NFL professionals, and the kicker - he makes over $7m a year.

To put that salary into perspective, only Bill Belichick, Pete Carroll and Sean Payton earn more (and Payton will be off that list if the Saints make the right move and give him the bullet on Monday). He makes more than John Harbaugh, Andy Reid, Tom Coughlin, Mike Tomlin and Mike McCarthy to name but 5 coaches who have had success in the NFL.

I'd love to see him come back and give it another go as it would be very interesting to see how he adapts and what changes he makes after the last time, but I just can't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,829 ✭✭✭nerd69

eagle eye wrote: »

It hadn't been good for Andy for a few years I do think his sons passing affected him but I think it was best for both party's to go at that stage (I was a big big red fan by the way was just the time to do it)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,237 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Saban moving to the NFL would essentially a step down. He's never leaving Alabama imo. He'll coach there until he retires, the modern Bear Bryant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

Tom Coughlin apparently to resign Monday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

JCTO wrote: »
    Tom Coughlin apparently to resign Monday

Giants were never going to fire TC. I'd say the owners being split on the decision forced his hand. The reports claim TC 'had enough' after the Panthers game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Regardless of how it ends in New York Coughlin has been an incredible coach for the Giants. You've got to have a huge amount of respect for how he changed himself over the course of his career. At the Jags he was the harshest disciplinarian in the and that was his undoing with the players not working for him. It looked like he'd do the same with the Giants but he changed his style and won two bowls. Great coach but he ran his time with the Giants and now they'll go another direction.

Interesting that you'll have the Giants and Eagles searching for coaches and the Skins happy with theirs...would have gotten good odds on Gruden being safe and secure at the start of the year!

Advertisement