Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Monday - Head Coach changes 2016

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The 49ers will interview Bills Running Backs coach Anthony Lynn tomorrow to satisfy the Rooney rule for the vacant Head coaching position.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

The Colts are a joke, my Saban stuff was obviously wishful thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

eagle eye wrote: »
    Bob Kraft has only ever hired two head coaches and they were Belichick and Pete Carroll which shows that he is on the money as regards that department.

2 is a fairly small sample size to put down to skill rather than luck.

If I only had 2 over/under bets in 20 years on the NFL I wouldn't expect people to be sure I wasn't just lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,868 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Bateman wrote: »
    2 is a fairly small sample size to put down to skill rather than luck.

If I only had 2 over/under bets in 20 years on the NFL I wouldn't expect people to be sure I wasn't just lucky.
    Well it's all we got and it's not like you are ever going to have a huge sample of head coaches in a successful franchise whereas with the Browns....

On the Browns they had a terrible owner who owns a Premier league team. Both have underperformed under his ownership.

It's clear that Kraft spotted the potential in Belichick when he was coaching under Parcells in New England, he went and hired the guy and the rest is history.

He had a lot of good things done with the Patriots before Belichick's arrival which paved the way for the success that Bill has had.

You can look through sports and you'll find that good owners have teams that do well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Eric De Costa has turned down the titans for an interview, not surprised, Raven through and through

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Browns to interview Hue Jackson on Sunday.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

adrian522 wrote: »
    Browns to interview Hue Jackson on Sunday.

you'd have to think he'd be a nutcase to take it

you'd have to think he'd be a nutcase to take it

Also being interviewed by 49ers and dolphins.

Payton staying put

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/684823785866964992

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Couldnt think of anyone worse to give the job to. Hopefully they dont waste Mariotas talent with chris running the team.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/684837791033896960

He's not getting much love from titans fans either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Eric De Costa has turned down the titans for an interview, not surprised, Raven through and through

The only job he'd ever leave for IMO is the Patriots as it'd mean he'd be able to move back to his hometown.

He's believed to be on General Manager money as it is so there's not even the lure of a significant rise in salary to attract him away.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,690 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Add Lovie smith the coaches fired. Didn't see this one coming myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,856 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Add Lovie smith the coaches fired. Didn't see this one coming myself.

What?! Crazy decision. Still, makes the Rooney rule a lot easier to comply with.

Looks like the Buccs OC went to the ownership to get him to the chop

• Registered Users Posts: 10,856 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Looks like the Buccs OC went to the ownership to get him to the chop

That'll endear him to the players...

The 49ers have requested permission to interview Dirk Koetter, Buccs OC. No response yet, but the suspicion is the buccs will promote him to HC themselves.

One thing about the 49ers search thus far is every single name they have been connected with has been an offensive guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

Moving my response to JRG from Philly thread to here:
    I have no problem with you disagreeing with me - but to suggest that because McDaniels only had two years in Denver (less than two actually - he was sacked after 12 games of season 2) he should not be ruled out as a coach with future HC potential is nonsense. It actually has nothing to do with how long he was with the Broncos - it was about what he did and how he did it - and the traits he displayed are not ones that someone like McDaniels can change.

What are you banging on about? My point was his lack of experience as a young head coach. It really doesn't matter what team sacked him. And do you know him personally? To judge his character and suggest he can't change is laughable at best unless you know him personally or are his quack. You are doing nothing but speculating that he can't change his ways.

The first step is admitting you fooked up:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27405001/patriots-josh-mcdaniels-admits-mistakes-when-broncos-coach
    PHOENIX — If Josh McDaniels had it to do over again in Denver, he might have heard out what his coordinators Mike McCoy, Mike Nolan and Don Martindale had to say about game-planning.

McDaniels might have allowed general manager Brian Xanders or scouting director Matt Russell to have more input on the roster.
    "I made a lot of mistakes there. You know that," McDaniels said Tuesday during Super Bowl XLIX media day. "But I think it was a great learning experience for myself, and hopefully I've grown from that and will continue to grow from that."

McDaniels' brief term as Broncos head coach from 2009 through the first 12 games of 2010 did not go well, but he has bounced back nicely. So have the Broncos, for that matter.

The Broncos were in the Super Bowl last year. McDaniels is in the Super Bowl this year as offensive coordinator for the New England Patriots.
    "I think one of the things I really learned in Denver is the value of being a good listener," McDaniels said. "When you do something like that for the first time, you feel like you have to run through everything and be in charge of too many things. And sometimes that's a significant negative.
    "I've tried really hard in St. Louis and then here back in New England to gather ideas; we listen to one another. Our atmosphere on our staff has been very healthy, and a big part of that is we have a lot of guys that can contribute, and it doesn't have to come from one source."

McDaniels was only 32, but coming off a successful run as the Patriots' offensive coordinator, when he was hired in January 2009 by Broncos owner Pat Bowlen to replace Mike Shanahan as head coach.

McDaniels started spectacularly. The Immaculate Deflection to Brandon Stokley in the season opener propelled the Broncos to a 6-0 start in McDaniels' first season in Denver. But once McDaniels' ship took on a little water, it sank quickly. The Broncos finished 8-8 to miss the playoffs in 2009. They joined the 1978 Washington Redskins as the only teams in NFL history to start 6-0 and not finish with a winning record. The Broncos went 4-12 the next season — 3-9 when McDaniels was fired not only because of his record, but because of a videotape violation during the team's trip to London.

The NFL determined Broncos video operator Steve Scarnecchia acted on his own when he taped six minutes of the San Francisco 49ers' walkthrough practice, but McDaniels was fined $50,000 for not reporting the incident.

He spent one season as St. Louis' offensive coordinator in 2011, but that also went poorly as the Rams averaged a league-worst 12.1 points per game. It wasn't until he returned to New England as an offensive consultant in the 2011 postseason that McDaniels rediscovered his niche.
    "Josh is a phenomenal coach," Patriots quarterback Tom Brady said. "He's so well prepared. So disciplined. He's put together a great plan this week.
    "We've been together for a long time. I think he's the best in the league at what he does."

Broncos fans would respectfully disagree — while holding the respect. It's not that McDaniels failed as a head coach. There was something about his mix of youthful looks and sometimes boorish coaching behavior that didn't sit well in Denver.

"He's been very consistent with me," Brady said. "I wasn't there in Denver. I don't know how it went down. He's a great coach. He's a great friend. I hope we're together for as long as I keep playing."
    It has been nearly five years since McDaniels coached the Broncos. He is 38 now, and after his Patriots lost three consecutive AFC championship games, they broke through this year thanks in part to McDaniels' imaginative postseason play calls.

McDaniels has had some head coaching interviews the past two years, but so far he has withdrawn from consideration to concentrate on the Patriots' postseason runs.

"Yeah, I'd love to do it again," he said. "I think the most important thing for me is to be in the right situation and be in a place where I feel good about being. There's a lot of great teams and great places out there. I happen to be in a good situation for myself right now and my family. If it comes up again where it's like — there it is, that's the right spot — then I'd love to do it again and give it another shot."
    It is worth noting that there has been a media attempt to rehabilitate McDaniels - things like touting he was good at drafting - which he wasn't - and I am sure that is designed to get him another opportunity at a HC job. I can see some of the nuttier owners taking a flyer on him - but not anyone who seriously looks at what people have done in the past.

Who cares what the media think? But either way to say someone can't grow at a profession is funny to be quite honest but hey you are entitled to your opinion.

My final question to you is had he failed at another team and had no history with the Pats would you carry the same stance?

And I will throw this in hear as your attitude toward him reminds me of other Broncos fans who have grown to hate him including some of my friends and then there is this:

http://www.joshmcdanielssucks.com/

Seems chip Kelly met with some bama people earlier this week

Met with 49ers as well. 49ers fans not best pleased with this development on the whole.

Personally I think they could do worse. If they wanted to rehabilitate Kaepernick he's probably best placed to do it. I think however he would not be the 49ers first choice.

The important thing would be that he would be in charge of coaching and not personnel. Tom Gamble and Kelly apparently friends so it makes some sort of sense.

I think if Hue Jackson is agreeable he would be first choice, they interview him on Sunday. Jackson is doing 3 interviews Sunday. If Bengals win on Sunday there would be no follow up interviews for a while which could lead to teams looking elsewhere.

49ers were also due to meet with Shanahan but haven't heard anything on that since.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,829 ✭✭✭nerd69

Seems chip Kelly met with some bama people earlier this week

Sabans not leaving bama

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,829 ✭✭✭nerd69

adrian522 wrote: »
    Met with 49ers as well. 49ers fans not best pleased with this development on the whole.

Personally I think they could do worse. If they wanted to rehabilitate Kaepernick he's probably best placed to do it. I think however he would not be the 49ers first choice.

The important thing would be that he would be in charge of coaching and not personnel. Tom Gamble and Kelly apparently friends so it makes some sort of sense.

I think if Hue Jackson is agreeable he would be first choice, they interview him on Sunday. Jackson is doing 3 interviews Sunday. If Bengals win on Sunday there would be no follow up interviews for a while which could lead to teams looking elsewhere.

49ers were also due to meet with Shanahan but haven't heard anything on that since.

I think his offence would work well with kap can't go into a lot f detail on the phone but a lot of the plays we ran last year had 2 players that could have been running routes taking up alternate roles (eg. A wr screen on the side the rb came from) to compensate for the inability to run Bradford. Nick foles was able to run in the offence kap would outrun a lot of rbs. The problem is that it kills the defence but I think he could go in day one and improve San Francisco next year. The biggest thing this year showed me was that the qb is key in that system even more so than most

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

JCTO wrote: »
    To judge his character and suggest he can't change is laughable at best unless you know him personally or are his quack. You are doing nothing but speculating that he can't change his ways.
    You don't have to know someone personally to be able to judge their character and what they are like.
    The first step is admitting you fooked up:
    What did you expect him to say?
    Who cares what the media think? But either way to say someone can't grow at a profession is funny to be quite honest
    Some people do - many don't - particularly as a HC in the NFL
    but hey you are entitled to your opinion.
    Yes I am - and all I am doing is expressing it.
    My final question to you is had he failed at another team and had no history with the Pats would you carry the same stance?
    People are a product of their environment and everything that McDaniels has learnt has come from the Pats. If he was never part of the Pats organisation then it is distinctly possible he would be a different person - but then again he mightn't be half as good an OC if he wasn't in Foxboro (and it should be noted that his time as OC with the Rams wasn't particularly good).

As for if he had coached someone other than Denver - I probably would not have been as conscious and as aware of McDaniels - and probably wouldn't be making anything more than a passing comment about him on this thread or anywhere else.
    And I will throw this in hear as your attitude toward him reminds me of other Broncos fans who have grown to hate him including some of my friends and then there is this:

http://www.joshmcdanielssucks.com/
    There are numerous articles/websites etc chronciling the antics of McDaniels in Denver - it is telling that there were so many different incidents/crises/f*ck-ups/scandals that happen that it could fill several volumes.

As for 'hating' McDaniels - that is something that for me would require a personal acquaintance - I do not like what he did in Denver (which was to almost destroy the team) and I would hate to see it happen anywhere else. There is nothing in what McDaniels has done since he left Denver to suggest that he would be any better anywhere else.

You don't have to know someone personally to be able to judge their character and what they are like.

Well you can judge them all you want without knowing them them but without truly knowing them or never having met them you are depending on others to describe his character to you which is not always a true reflection. Besides you said he can't change and unless you are a quack or someone who knows him closely that is nothing more than your opinion.

What did you expect him to say?

Oh here we go let me guess he is just saying those things to please people. This right here shows no matter he does to try fix himself your opinion of him trumps that. So pointless discussing it anymore.

Some people do - many don't - particularly as a HC in the NFL

Sure

Yes I am - and all I am doing is expressing it.

Good job

People are a product of their environment and everything that McDaniels has learnt has come from the Pats. If he was never part of the Pats organisation then it is distinctly possible he would be a different person - but then again he mightn't be half as good an OC if he wasn't in Foxboro (and it should be noted that his time as OC with the Rams wasn't particularly good).

See you are proving what I said. Had he never been part of the Patriots organisation you probably wouldn't be discussing him as much. I was wondering how long it would be before you brought up his history with the Pats.
    As for if he had coached someone other than Denver - I probably would not have been as conscious and as aware of McDaniels - and probably wouldn't be making anything more than a passing comment about him on this thread or anywhere else.

Exactly my point you are judging him on barely 2 seasons with your own team add the Patriots to it and you will never see it any other way. Clear bias situation really.

There are numerous articles/websites etc chronciling the antics of McDaniels in Denver - it is telling that there were so many different incidents/crises/f*ck-ups/scandals that happen that it could fill several volumes.

All carrying the same opinion as you for the most part.
    As for 'hating' McDaniels - that is something that for me would require a personal acquaintance - I do not like what he did in Denver (which was to almost destroy the team) and I would hate to see it happen anywhere else. There is nothing in what McDaniels has done since he left Denver to suggest that he would be any better anywhere else.

I clearly didn't mean hate in the sense of you really hate the guy personally. Figure of speech more than anything to show your constant dislike for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

People are a product of their environment and everything that McDaniels has learnt has come from the Pats. If he was never part of the Pats organisation then it is distinctly possible he would be a different person
    Actually McDaniels was a great guy until he went to Denver. Must be something in that organisation there that changed him to the guy you dislike so much.

Actually McDaniels was a great guy until he went to Denver. Must be something in that organisation there that changed him to the guy you dislike so much.
    :D

Besides you said he can't change and unless you are a quack or someone who knows him closely that is nothing more than your opinion.
    That is your opinion - I would argue that there is ample evidence to show he will not change
    Oh here we go let me guess he is just saying those things to please people.
    McDaniels did serious damage to his reputation in Denver - he is and has been trying to rebuild it. If he came out and said he did nothing wrong in Denver then nobody would touch him with a barge-pole
    See you are proving what I said. Had he never been part of the Patriots organisation you probably wouldn't be discussing him as much. I was wondering how long it would be before you brought up his history with the Pats.
    You cannot distinguish the fact that he came from the Pats organisation - it is a fact. I would be highly critical of other HCs as well. Some were products of the environment others weren't. Despite the success Dan Reeves had at Denver I would be highly critical of his time there - he was also a control freak and the working environment in Denver was probably the biggest contributing factor for the Broncos (badly) losing three SBs while he was there. Reeves was a product of the Landry school of coaching.

The reality is that the coaches from the BB coaching tree invariably fail as HCs - check the list - the only showing that he might break that is O'Brien (and apparently there is open warfare in Houston between him and the players and him and the front office)
    Exactly my point you are judging him on barely 2 seasons with your own team add the Patriots to it and you will never see it any other way. Clear bias situation really.
    Two seasons was more than enough to judge McDaniels - indeed it was obvious within two months he was going to be a disaster.
    All carrying the same opinion as you for the most part.
    No smoke without fire
    Figure of speech more than anything to show your constant dislike for him
    I don't dislike the guy - again I would have to know him personally to make such a judgement - I dislike what he did to the Broncos and wouldn't want to see it repeated anywhere else.

That is your opinion - I would argue that there is ample evidence to show he will not change

Sorry Doc.
    McDaniels did serious damage to his reputation in Denver - he is and has been trying to rebuild it. If he came out and said he did nothing wrong in Denver then nobody would touch him with a barge-pole

Oh really? that is why there is plenty NFL teams knocking on his door to interview him.
    You cannot distinguish the fact that he came from the Pats organisation - it is a fact. I would be highly critical of other HCs as well. Some were products of the environment others weren't. Despite the success Dan Reeves had at Denver I would be highly critical of his time there - he was also a control freak and the working environment in Denver was probably the biggest contributing factor for the Broncos (badly) losing three SBs while he was there. Reeves was a product of the Landry school of coaching.

I hate the Pats yada yada yada. I hate Josh yada yada yada.
    The reality is that the coaches from the BB coaching tree invariably fail as HCs - check the list - the only showing that he might break that is O'Brien (and apparently there is open warfare in Houston between him and the players and him and the front office)

That is down to the individual themselves and not because of where they came from. Some people are only good at being assistants or Coordinators others are good at been overall leaders. It has nothing to do with Bill Belichick or the Patriots. Most of Bills Coordinators had experience elsewhere before the Patriots.

Two seasons was more than enough to judge McDaniels - indeed it was obvious within two months he was going to be a disaster.

Sure it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Lads this argument is going round in circles, probably best to draw a line in it and move on. There's plenty of other coaches to talk about too and it's pretty clear that neither of you will change your minds on Josh McDaniels so lets move on from it

frostie500 wrote: »
    Lads this argument is going round in circles, probably best to draw a line in it and move on. There's plenty of other coaches to talk about too and it's pretty clear that neither of you will change your minds on Josh McDaniels so lets move on from it

Two people I am interested to see if they land anywhere -

Mike Shanahan is getting a second interview with the Dolpins and is also in the 49ers radar. Mike is 63 years old now and I am surprised that he is showing such interest in getting another HC job. I suspect that his preference would be SF but if I am not mistaken he lives in Florida. If he does get a job it will be interesting to see what he can do. His time in Washington was, unfortunately, determined by the injury to RGIII.

Adam Gase is someone I think will become a very good HC. Everything I heard about him while he was in Denver was positive. He is smart, sensible, adaptable and has shown he knows how to work with and deal with players. Fox relied on Gase very heavily while in Denver so it was hardly a surprise he took him to Chicago. Gase stood his ground with the 49ers when he was told he had the job but wouldn't have the final say on who would be his coordinators. I think he would be more suited to the Miami job but wouldn't be surprised if he ended up in Philly.

• Advertisement

Adam Gase looks like he he is going to Miami. Miami no longer looking to interview Hue Jackson

SF now the frontrunner for Jackson.

Advertisement