Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Monday - Head Coach changes 2016

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

not that i expect it to happen, but if Whisenhunt gets a job ill be utterly amazed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭tripperman

not that i expect it to happen, but if Whisenhunt gets a job ill be utterly amazed

Linked to his old job as OC back in SD and will be welcomed back by players and fans, as his tenure was most successful for offence in SD in last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Colts have decided to extend Pagano and keep GM Grigson

Interesting

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Very surprising was sure he was a goner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

It's a terrible move keeping them both. I'd have settled for keeping Pags if they got rid of Grigson. Things will only get inexorably worse from here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Colts are running on the fumes of a bad division for 2y plus now. Repeatedly shown up (outcoached, arguably) by good teams.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Paully D wrote: »
    In order for me:

Giants
    Eagles
    Dolphins/Titans
    Dolphins/Titans
    49ers
    Browns (by a considerable distance)

I'd have thought the 49ers are in a better position than the Dolphins to be honest, and much better than the Browns.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

49ers have requested permission to interview Hue Jackson. I could certainly see this happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,818 ✭✭✭nerd69

adrian522 wrote: »
    49ers have requested permission to interview Hue Jackson. I could certainly see this happening.

That could be a great hire

HigginsJ wrote: »
    I'd take the Browns job before the 49ers. I think they are both in the **** but at least in Cleveland you are starting over with a new GM.

Why is starting over with a new GM a good thing? You have players in Cleveland refusing to go into the game, you have the star QB partying in Vegas the night before a game, you have a new head coach every single season.

The Browns have been through more head coaches since 2011 than the steelers have since 1969.

But yeah, I guess they are in a better position than San Francisco. :confused:

• Advertisement

Ian Rappaport saying Payton deciding between the Saints and the 49ers:

http://www.ninersnation.com/2016/1/5/10717030/sean-payton-deciding-between-49ers-saints-per-ian-rapoport

Meanwhile: I'm told the #Colts did not speak with Sean Payton's agent before re-signing coach Chuck Pagano last night. SF or NO for Payton

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) January 5, 2016

EDIT: Of course a story like that coming out with suit Payton/Saints making other teams move more quickly increase their offers so pinch of salt and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Colts have decided to extend Pagano and keep GM Grigson

Interesting

nooooooo_luke_skywalker_text.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

I'd have thought the 49ers are in a better position than the Dolphins to be honest, and much better than the Browns.

The 49ers would be a far more attractive job if Baalke and York weren't there. I'd still consider the 49ers job to be far more prestigious than being the Browns manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Or not as the case may be, he is being retained.

I think the Chargers made the right decision keeping McCoy - whether he will be able to turn the ship around is another story - the front office need to sort out the cap problems to help him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

It will be interesting to see who some of e candidates will be.

Not surprisingly McDaniels has been touted (and I still think it would be a big mistake for any team to run with him) but I am surprised that Adam Gase hasn't been mentioned anywhere I have seen. I think Gase has potential - he was close to getting the 49ers job last season (although probably lucky he didn't). I don't know if he is quite ready yet but it is a wonder people haven't been looking to talk to him.

My bad - just seen that the Eagles, Browns and Dolphins are planning to interview Gase and the Giants might also be in the mix. I agree the Giants job is the pick of the bunch - but I think that the best fit for Gase outside of that would be Miami.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Doug Marrone the favourite for Saints job if Payton walks. Due to his close relationship with Mickey Loomis apparently. After the way he left the Bills and his mess of an interview for the Jets job, would you want him as your coach?

tang1 wrote: »
    Doug Marrone the favourite for Saints job if Payton walks. Due to his close relationship with Mickey Loomis apparently. After the way he left the Bills and his mess of an interview for the Jets job, would you want him as your coach?

after the way belichek left the browns and his mess of a relationship would you have hired him for the pats?

nerd69 wrote: »
    after the way belichek left the browns and his mess of a relationship would you have hired him for the pats?

Hardly Bellicheks fault Art Modell moved the franchise to Baltimore, the season before they finished 11-5.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Hardly Bellicheks fault Art Modell moved the franchise to Baltimore, the season before they finished 11-5.

And thank Crom he did, what a dark timeline that could have been

And thank Crom he did, what a dark timeline that could have been

Or the Browns could have 4 Superbowls now & not the Pats!!

• Advertisement

in fairness pats had a poor history until a few years before bb joined he's completely turned around how the franchise is views (and brady has been a huge part of that of coarse) they had a worse history than the browns to be honest at least the browns had the jim brown days pats where run out of boston (figuratively)

glued wrote: »
    The 49ers would be a far more attractive job if Baalke and York weren't there. I'd still consider the 49ers job to be far more prestigious than being the Browns manager.

What's the issue with Baalke? He did put together a pretty impressive roster prior to this year. For all his faults he has been pretty good as a GM.

What's the issue with Baalke? He did put together a pretty impressive roster prior to this year. For all his faults he has been pretty good as a GM.

ya im unsure why people are questioning him that 9ers team went to 2 (or was it 3?) consecutive nfc championchip games and where a seriously talented team. that the team went to **** with all the retirees can't be blamed on him and i can't imagine harbaugh is the easiest person to get along with

Yeah 3 in a row, loss to the giants, superbowl then loss to the seahawks.

49ers are going to interview Mike Shanahan tomorrow. Also asked permission to interview Anthony Lynn, Bills RB coach, which is a bit out of left field.

I still think Jackson and Payton are the top choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,236 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Browns hire DePodesta (Mets GM) to be Executive VP (i.e. essentially run the show) - of Moneyball fame. Very interesting move imo!

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Browns hire DePodesta (Mets GM) to be Executive VP (i.e. essentially run the show) - of Moneyball fame. Very interesting move imo!

its a browns move in 12 months we will all be calling them idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,854 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

No, the most important person in a franchise is the owner.

Bob Kraft has only ever hired two head coaches and they were Belichick and Pete Carroll which shows that he is on the money as regards that department.

He bought a poor franchise and made it one of the biggest in the NFL. Even before Belichick and Brady came along the Patriot had a waiting list for tickets. When he bought the Patriots the town of Foxboro was a small satellite town, now it's big and progressive.

He built a new stadium and there is a huge waiting list for season tickets. It costs $100 or maybe even more just to stay on the waiting list I believe.

eagle eye wrote: »
    No, the most important person in a franchise is the owner.

Bob Kraft has only ever hired two head coaches and they were Belichick and Pete Carroll which shows that he is on the money as regards that department.

I disagree with the first bit, but I have to say it is easy to stand by your coach when he has a winning record pretty much every year. Only had less than 10 wins twice in his time in New England.

I'm all for continuity etc but to give Kraft huge credit for this is stretching things a bit, no owner is going to fire his coach who is delivering superbowls and 10, 12 wins every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Adam Gase really impressed in philly so their having him back for another interview this weekend according to Ian Rappaport on Twitter

Advertisement