Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Monday - Head Coach changes 2016

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well for me the most outstanding co-ordinator in football is Sean McDermott of the Panthers. Teryl Austin is another.

Best coach in the NFL is Belichick, best in college football is Nick Saban. Pete Carroll is a guy who has done it at college level and the NFL. They were all Defensive co-ordinators.

Guys in bold would all be great hires. Wonder why none of them were hired? Obviously teams don't have a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,867 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

adrian522 wrote: »
    Guys in bold would all be great hires. Wonder why none of them were hired? Obviously teams don't have a clue.

Agh, I mentioned two that I think would be great head coaches and you don't even discuss what the very thing I was asked to put up.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well one is still in the playoffs so cant be interviewed. I think teams just picked the best available candidate rather than specifically looking for offensive guys. Having said that SF did focus specifically on offensive candidates becaue their offense has been so bad for a few years now, but I dodn't see any outstanding defensive candidate.

I don't think its hugely relevant, you bring in strong coordinators to sort out your defense if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,829 ✭✭✭nerd69

eagle eye wrote: »
    Agh, I mentioned two that I think would be great head coaches and you don't even discuss what the very thing I was asked to put up.

how you are as a coordinator is pretty much irrelevant being a head coach is a compleatly different job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

The idea of whether you are a defensive or offensive guy makes the difference of winning Superbowls or being successful is laughable. Just look at the last 15 Superbowls:

12 different coaches
    5 Offensive
    2 Both
    4 Defensive

What is interesting is their playing experience. Pete Carroll and Bill Belichick played offensive positions in their playing career.

Team - Coach - Playing Exp - Coach Exp
    Rams - Dick Vermeil - QB - Offensive Guy
    Ravens - Brian Billick - QB/DB/TE - Offensive Guy
    Patriots - Belichick - OL - Defensive Guy
    Buccs - Jon Gruden - QB - Offensive Guy
    Steelers - Bill Cowher - LB - Defensive guy
    Colts - Tony Dungy - DB - Defensive Guy
    Giants - Tom Coughlin - RB - Offensive Guy
    Steelers - Mike Tomlin - WR - Both
    Saints - Sean Payton - QB - Offensive Guy
    Packers - Mike McCarthy - TE - Offensive Guy
    Giants - Tom Coughlin - RB - Offensive Guy
    Ravens - John Harbaugh - DB - Both
    Seahawks - Pete Carroll - QB/WR/DB - Defensive Guy

You could probably go back through the years and find there is good balance throughout the coaches on success. Besides taking a coach is like drafting in the 1st round. They may look awesome based on previous experience but might not just be good enough to win bowls for you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

It's been mooted on and off over the last year or 2 that when he's finished he'll get some sort of position

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/tennessee-titans-peyton-manning-denver-broncos-to-become-part-of-ownership-011716

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Ray Horton has requested to be released and it will be granted.

Jason Michael who became the OC when Mularkey got the interim job, is leaving for the Rams it seems

Titans have hired Terry Robiskie (Falcons WR coach) as our new OC.
    Dont now anything about him, but Falcons fans seem to think he's good.

Looks like Le Beau is staying as DC, but Horton has also said hes staying so we may keep both

Advertisement