Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Monday - Head Coach changes 2016

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Interesting stat, since the NFL/AFL merger in 1970, Chip Kelly is only the 2nd 49ers head coach to get the job having previous experience as an NFL head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,690 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

May I just say that anyone on this board who picked the browns as their team of their OWN FREE WILL then I tip my cap to ye. The browns are the nfl's answer to the green party.

Also I see that the new bucs HC and former OC dirk koetter is humbled by being given the job. I am right in thinking he basically shafted lovie smith to make way for himself ?

adrian522 wrote: »
    Interesting stat, since the NFL/AFL merger in 1970, Chip Kelly is only the 2nd 49ers head coach to get the job having previous experience as an NFL head coach.

I must be on the first coaches after the merger adrian as just going through the 49ers HC's in my head that I know, none of them had head coach experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,857 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Also I see that the new bucs HC and former OC dirk koetter is humbled by being given the job. I am right in thinking he basically shafted lovie smith to make way for himself ?

Well, they fired Lovie over the phone, so nothing would surprise me. You'd have to wish ill on the franchise for doing something as cowardly as that. I hope it bites them in the ass when it comes to trying to hire people in the future (not to mention that Lovie was doing pretty well, but given that the Bears managed to fire him after a 10-6 season, he's probably used to getting shafted at this stage)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Well, they fired Lovie over the phone, so nothing would surprise me. You'd have to wish ill on the franchise for doing something as cowardly as that. I hope it bites them in the ass when it comes to trying to hire people in the future (not to mention that Lovie was doing pretty well, but given that the Bears managed to fire him after a 10-6 season, he's probably used to getting shafted at this stage)

Rumour is the Koetter went to the ownership/president with something that ultimately got him fired, only a rumour though

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I must be on the first coaches after the merger adrian as just going through the 49ers HC's in my head that I know, none of them had head coach experience.

It was Dennis Erickson (2003-04), who had previously coached Seattle. This is of course not counting Jim Tomsula who was interim coach for 1 game after Singletary got the sack in 2010.

It was Dennis Erickson (2003-04), who had previously coached Seattle. This is of course not counting Jim Tomsula who was interim coach for 1 game after Singletary got the sack in 2010.

Ah right. I was trying to answer it the old way without the interweb. For some reason his name didn't register.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Titans DC ray Horton is interviewing tomorrow for the top job

Joe Philbin is now the OL coach for the Colts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,857 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Joe Philbin is now the OL coach for the Colts
    Jaysus, a day is a long time in the NFL. He was offensive coordinator in new York yesterday.

on the colts official twitter, big drop down for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

on the colts official twitter, big drop down for him

Back where he belongs. That is a good move by the Colts he is a very good OL coach.

I see Jackson is not hiring an OC, seems a strange move, I get he'll call the plays himself but I would have thought an OC would also be needed?

But given what happened to Lovie and Coughlin maybe he's better off without one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

JCTO wrote: »
    Back where he belongs. That is a good move by the Colts he is a very good OL coach.

That's always been his specialty. IIRC McCarthy called the plays in Green Bay when Philbin was OC. I think the Giants wanted to do the same, ie install him as OC, let McAdoo call the plays and allow Philbin to work with the OL but the Giants promoted Sullivan instead and kept Flaherty as the OL coach. I think he's very well regarded for his work with the OL. Good call from Indy, now all they need to do is supply Philbin with players to work with to stop Luck from getting crushed every down!

I see Jackson is not hiring an OC, seems a strange move, I get he'll call the plays himself but I would have thought an OC would also be needed?

But given what happened to Lovie and Coughlin maybe he's better off without one!

I think the Giants problem was that Mara will do just about anything Eli tells him to do. Eli kept Gilbride in a job for a long time despite his obvious limitations and according to some of the NY beat writers he had met Mara and Tisch to express his desire to keep working with McAdoo. If McAdoo left Eli would have to learn a new offence and I don't think he was happy to do that.

Although I still think what happened to Coughlin was cruel as he seems to be the only one taking the blame for the Giants failures when Reese has had a far more significant role in our failures as he's been a poor GM. Coughlin won two SB with pretty average rosters. I think it was time for a change but Reese and a lot of that coaching staff should have gone too. Sure Spags kept his job despite breaking records for some of the worst defence in NFL history!

Seems the Titans have finished HC interviews

Mularkey
    Marrone
    Ray Horton
    Lions DC Austin

Rapoport reporting all planned interviews are done, there still is some chat about McDaniels but he has said he's not interviewing while the Pats are in the playoffs

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Who would you like HC?

Horton coming back to Cleveland if he's not offered the job.
    I'd like that.

Who would you like HC?

Horton coming back to Cleveland if he's not offered the job.
    I'd like that.

If he's not i would expect him to ask to be released, Jackson had already said he'd love to have him.

Probably McDaniels if i'm honest, he's not tainted by the **** thats been going on the the last couple of years.

No guarantee he's the best, but he would give us a fresh start

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Schefter reporting that Mularkey is in.

• Advertisement

Schefter reporting that Mularkey is in.

Yep look likes a done deal

• Registered Users Posts: 37,868 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So everybody hiring OC's as head coaches. It like they just haven't a clue what they are at when you consider that the two most successful head coaches over the last five years were both DC's before they were head coaches.

That's Belichick and Carroll in case anybody doesn't know.

eagle eye wrote: »
    So everybody hiring OC's as head coaches. It like they just haven't a clue what they are at when you consider that the two most successful head coaches over the last five years were both DC's before they were head coaches.

That's Belichick and Carroll in case anybody doesn't know.

That's a stupid argument considering 4 former offensive coordinators have won the last 10 Superbowls along with 1 special teams coach and 4 of the last 8 currently are former offensive coordinators. The suggestion that they haven't a clue just doesn't hold any water whatsoever. Preposterous suggestion tbh.

glued wrote: »
    That's a stupid argument considering 4 former offensive coordinators have won the last 10 Superbowls along with 1 special teams coach and 4 of the last 8 currently are former offensive coordinators. The suggestion that they haven't a clue just doesn't hold any water whatsoever. Preposterous suggestion tbh.

Agree, pretty stupid to say no one should hire offensive minded head coaches because Bellichek and Carroll were defensive guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Agree, pretty stupid to say no one should hire offensive minded head coaches because Bellichek and Carroll were defensive guys.

Yeah the best two qbs in the league weren't taken with the 1st overall pick in the draft so why bother ever taking one there... ludicrous argument.

glued wrote: »

Belichick won it last year and Carroll the year before so you are incorrect.

That is not what I'm saying, it's crazy that everybody is going for OC's is what I'm saying.

eagle eye wrote: »
    That is not what I'm saying, it's crazy that everybody is going for OC's is what I'm saying.

They are going for the best available coaches, what defensive guys should they be hiring?

They are going for the best available coaches, what defensive guys should they be hiring?

Well for me the most outstanding co-ordinator in football is Sean McDermott of the Panthers. Teryl Austin is another.

Best coach in the NFL is Belichick, best in college football is Nick Saban. Pete Carroll is a guy who has done it at college level and the NFL. They were all Defensive co-ordinators.

• Advertisement

Sorry but I wouldn't rate either of those as better than some of the offensive hires. Crazy to say teams "don't have a clue" because they are hiring offensive guys.

Advertisement