Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell January 9th to 16th 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Snow is fun for about an hour. After that it's just a pain.
    The country is completely unable to deal with snow. Airports will be shut and the roads will be treacherous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Treepole wrote: »
    The country is completely unable to deal with snow. Airports will be shut and the roads will be treacherous.

Its just weather and that is what this forum is all about. We all like seeing unusual weather and the patterns that bring it about.

I am pretty sure the country will survive....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I know and I agree... but ...and so much depends on how we look out for others does it not? Weather is not an isolated thing; it affects all we do. Ah well, if wishes were horses, beggars would ride. What comes comes. here at least I am safe which I was not in 2010 and well prepared. That was a total nightmare. Happy with my little iced mountains! Very happy indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

It gets people out of their normal routine and Makes them talk to and engage with neighbours or people they never deal with in a positive way, or God forbid solve a few problems have to and think outside the box !

I think it's only since Internet forums that the news media now put a bit of reporting on the positive aspects of snow unlike the baa humbug of previous years.

I hope we don't "git frostbit"

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Ahh diddums,the snow is magic man,the kids love it,great fun for all,lot better than the bloody pissy rain :D200.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Seems like you're allowed only one opinion here, to be gleeful at the prospect of freezing tempatures and abundant snowfall. The forum is called "Weather", not "Extreme Weather Enthusiasts". I can see both positives and negatives in a snowy spell, but it still would be a massive inconvience for a lot of people

• Registered Users Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

so it seems certain it's going to get cold, the questions that remained to be answered are; will it be cold enough for widespread snow to sea level, and the duration of the cold. the gfs looks the best at the moment if you want more than a spell, the ecm is good if you want a possible epic event, but it could be another near miss - with the atlantic very blocked it's hard to see that much energy engaging the block, if it does toys might well be strewn around the room and f5 buttons may come under serious pressure. i would not get caught up in any one run. if there is a significant cold spell, lets hope people are wise enough not to take silly risks if the flooded areas turn into temporary ice rinks

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Seems like you're allowed only one opinion here, to be gleeful at the prospect of freezing tempatures and abundant snowfall. The forum is called "Weather", not "Extreme Weather Enthusiasts". I can see both positives and negatives in a snowy spell, but it still would be a massive inconvience for a lot of people

I wouldn't say that only one opinion is allowed - all responses to people who don't like snow have seemed light hearted to me. This forum iss the most likely place for Extreme Weather Enthusiasts to hang out though and snow is clearly something that a lot of people look forward to (myself included) because it's rare here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Hulk Hands wrote: »

And that's all well and good but the same thing happens year on year, people come onto a thread dedicated to the prospects of a coming cold spell... a nice change to the monotony of damp grey... and start saying how much they hate snow.

You're right, this is a weather forum so let them start their own snow/cold weather's hatred thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

pauldry wrote: »
    Get out!

Haha

Why
    HighLine wrote: »
    Well you'd probably be better off starting a "Hopefully there's no snow, such a pain in the arse" thread because the majority of us on here will welcome a change to the rain, wind, dull and damp muck we have been subjected to the last few months.

What wrong with nice, crisp, dry winter weather?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

HighLine wrote: »
    You're right, this is a weather forum so let them start their own snow/cold weather's hatred thread.

Why should there be multiple threads on the same topic?

Isn't this the thread to discuss the significant cold spell which is expected?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,272 ✭✭✭✭fits

Why

What wrong with nice, crisp, dry winter weather?

Seriously can we just not have this discussion this time? ( not just aimed at newapproach)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Airports will be shut .

I doubt that's true. I know in 2010 I think was, the last big snow came at Christmas when it was really busy and Dublin airport was under pressure, but once the snow is cleared off the runway its business as usual.

I don't think snow is any more disruptive than a regular wind storm preventing flights from landing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

onmebike wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that only one opinion is allowed - all responses to people who don't like snow have seemed light hearted to me. This forum iss the most likely place for Extreme Weather Enthusiasts to hang out though and snow is clearly something that a lot of people look forward to (myself included) because it's rare here.

I actually love snow, I even love the run up to it if it doesn't happen
    I also love charts that predict thunder
    Both weather types are hazardous to my job,farming
    I'm delighted this cold if it comes now in January and February, that it will dry out the land to work on when the spring comes rather than the nuisance cold of April and March,
    It will be awkward but we learned a lot on prep work in 2010 for making it easier avoiding frozen water pipes,clearing roads,yards etc,
    So yeah bring it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Eyes down for the 12z.. Its on its way in now.

I'm not a meteorologist but I've a science background so I really am enjoying this. What Im also fascinated about is the repeated hopes up, hopes dashed effect of the charts in previous years. I keep thinking, can't this be done better given how often the 144+ charts are wrong? My only thought would be an injection of probability and weighting into the chart algorithm. i.e. We've had a roasting winter with a warm jet stream dominant. We don't get these conditions often.. at a guess we get a comparable actual result compared to the chart maybe 20% of the time we see them on the 144+. Why not build in an element of probability into the design? We seem to see them in FI predicting 10 of the 2 snow events we might get in a 6-10 year period. We give out to the postman for less.

Sorry if thats in the wrong thread, I guess I only consider it when I'm looking to the snow fairies for a result :p I just hate the run in and the disappointment!

Here's to a safe but beautifully exciting weather event!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭pad199207

GFS 12z making more of the Azores Low. Still a good run compared to recently. Excellent UKMO. Again we look forward to the ECM take on things! The roller coaster continues....

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭space2ground1

pad199207 wrote: »
    GFS 12z making more of the Azores Low. Still a good run compared to recently. Excellent UKMO. Again we look forward to the ECM take on things! The roller coaster continues....

What time do we expect the 12Z ECM?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

6pm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭pad199207

Usually post 18:00hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 15,910 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I'm loving this cold spell. Was out for a walk earlier and it was COLD out there but so bright and clear, fabulous day after all the rain and gloom! Looking forward to the predictions for snow....

And another thing, I got googling, and thanks be to god I now know what gfs, ecm, asl mean. I can now follow all the abbreviations without scratching my little head. Still don't understand the charts though, but heck, that's what the rest of you are here for, to TELL me what they mean!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭wench

elastico wrote: »
    I doubt that's true. I know in 2010 I think was, the last big snow came at Christmas when it was really busy and Dublin airport was under pressure, but once the snow is cleared off the runway its business as usual.

I don't think snow is any more disruptive than a regular wind storm preventing flights from landing.
    I think the runway was less of a problem than de-icing the planes. We just didn't have enough equipment to get them going quick enough when there were suitable gaps in the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

pad199207 wrote: »

Typical GFS always wanting to bring in the Atlantic.....well the ECM will change that....

Snow_Plow_C_Feature_618x278.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭lolokeogh

ok in lay mans terms whats going to happen,its a crisp cold evening,is it possible we will get some snow,if so when?

onmebike wrote: »
    I'm quite looking forward to a bit of a proper cold spell. It's always a bit bittersweet for me though. While I like feeling cold air in my lungs and on my face and snow is the dream, it means a daily decision whether I cycle to work or not. Still, it's only for a short while so I'll happily forgo the cycling for a few days.

Get some ice tyres on your bike, then you've no excuse to not cycle!

7nCRj3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I want the cold spell to continue 'til the end of February. If it's in March again like 2013, ah here.... Mother Nature you're having a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

I'm lovin' it
    374038.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭adamstown1

adamstown1 wrote: »
    Will it snow in my back garden next Thursday..approx 3pm...Thanks
    Yes.
    lolokeogh wrote: »
    ok in lay mans terms whats going to happen,its a crisp cold evening,is it possible we will get some snow,if so when?

Not sure about tonight but Im reliably informed that this event will commence in my back garden next week, drop over....

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭lolokeogh

Not sure about tonight but Im reliably informed that this event will commence in my back garden next week, drop over....

lol..ill be there..

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

BYOB ? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Damn, missed this thread.

I have to say it felt very "snowy" when I was out and about at lunchtime.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement