Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell January 9th to 16th 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

RTE weather holding fire for now anyway. Just mentioning a bit colder but nothing out of the ordinary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Things are definitely going in the "right" (wrong for some) direction for a bit of shock to the system but caution should also be applied too. I'll give it 3 more days.

The lack of input from you lately has been a real sign of the lack of potential up to now
    But yes I agree, the old saying (many) more runs needed rings true

• Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭Mech1

camera / ruler and Ladder at the ready

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

Things are definitely going in the "right" (wrong for some) direction for a bit of shock to the system but caution should also be applied too. I'll give it 3 more days.

Just seeing Kermit back gives me hope!
    God i have missed you Kermit!

I can only assume you are very quietly optimistic on this one!
    Please let it be so!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,451 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The lack of input from you lately has been a real sign of the lack of potential up to now
    But yes I agree, the old saying (many) more runs needed rings true

Not really that so much although it has been a bit depressing in the last 3 months. I'd like to contribute more but i'm too busy. I will make time though when interesting charts start to appear! I'm looking for a northeast pivot but the charts as they stand now broadly have snow potential for a good chunk of the country. Struggle to get much action in the east and southeast with a northwesterly at this time of year unless there is trough lines in there to enhance activity which can't even be speculated on this far out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

* In David Attenborough voice*

"As the cold charts start to appear, the snowbies slowly emerge from their hibernation in search of white gold... " :pac:

373950.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Just my luck...

Going away next Wednesday morning...the first flakes will probably be falling as my flight leaves the tarmac.

Bah.

Could be weird: 0 degrees and snowy to 30 degrees in one day.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Can't remember when I last posted here... probably back in the wonderful winter of 2010, I still swing by and check in the hope of a Weathercheck thread like this, bring it on :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Mech1 wrote: »
    camera / ruler and Ladder at the ready

Feck that drone at the ready!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Villain wrote: »
    Feck that drone at the ready!! :D

Will it climb to the 850 level :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Snow boots out of hibernation tonight, together with those amazing yokes that you attach to yer shoes with spikes. Funny they were all over the place AFTER the snow melted in 2010!

And I found my walking poles with interchangeable spikes and rubber tips. Yippee.

Unfortunately I don't have any skis or a snowboard. But I can live without them really.

I am so organised now, but will I actually need them in the end?

Will it climb to the 850 level :pac:

Not quiet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

(Stretches) Hibernation over... Looks around... Ah still a few familiar faces still here since 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Here are 2 baskets. Umbrellas in the left one, toys in the right one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

A step in the wrong direction from the 18Z GFS.
    Just when it looked like the big three were coming into agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

A step in the wrong direction from the 18Z GFS.
    Just when it looked like the big three were coming into agreement.

*sob :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Can we mention the legendary word "Thundersnow" yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

here in castlebar its been so dull for the past month or more not forgetting all the rain. really looking forward to some crisp clear blue skies by day and hopefully some snow showers to! i would not be getting to excited about the prospect of snow this far out out but hey its better than the current set up. the band of rain crossing now will probably be the last organised rain belt for a while

The good old pub run doesn't want to play ball

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Snow boots out of hibernation tonight, together with those amazing yokes that you attach to yer shoes with spikes. Funny they were all over the place AFTER the snow melted in 2010!

And I found my walking poles with interchangeable spikes and rubber tips. Yippee.

Unfortunately I don't have any skis or a snowboard. But I can live without them really.

I am so organised now, but will I actually need them in the end?

Lols

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

leahyl wrote: »
    *sob :-(

I hear the Cork Snow Shield is getting dusted and checked for operational fitness... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Villain wrote: »
    The good old pub run doesn't want to play ball

Starting to look like many other prospective cold spell in the past few years so, sigh.

Wouldn't throw in the towel just yet, but you really should never trust the models more than a few days out (I.e. 3 at most).

A shift to cold weather is probably still likely but in all likelihood given past experiences it usually gets very watered down. :rolleyes:

I told ya starting this thread would jinx it! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Looks like a classic 90s storm system developing in the GFS FI range with a fast moving developing depression and a rapidly destabilsing cold air mass following.

373965.PNG

*runs

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

Not giving up from the pub run ......... Bring on the cold :))

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

I told ya starting this thread would jinx it! :p

Quick a Mod delete the whole lot of it fast

Its too late isnt it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Lads we have been here many many times before. Its all part of being on that famous roller coaster. Personally i see a significant cold spell on the cards. Who gets snow and doesn't remains to be seen but thankfully an end is in sight to the miserable spell we have had. Buckle up, its going to be a rocky ride ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭adamstown1

Will it snow in my back garden next Thursday..approx 3pm...Thanks

adamstown1 wrote: »
    Will it snow in my back garden next Thursday..approx 3pm...Thanks

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭Mech1

Party at Adamstown's gaff next Thursday 3pm all invited!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement