Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell January 9th to 16th 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Graces7 wrote: »
    You don't want lows too soon in your location or you'll have a cold rainy mess on the east coast with wet snow from lamb doyles to Rathdrum
    Its a case of patience for now, models will chop and change with various solutions when they're not certain of the starting point yet if you understand?
    The UKMO forecasters are pretty confident that the jet will dive down to the middle if not south of France meaning I'm not confident that lows will track north of the cork or Waterford coast at their furthest during that which is a win win for dragging in more and more entrenched cold (and shower trains) from Scandinavia and the Irish sea with the same areas as 2010 favoured,given the circulation caused by Atlantic blocking and the lows if any,if you get me?

Outside of that,same scenario applies to areas favoured by northerlies and northwesterlies,so Im expecting eventually snow reports from across Ulster,Connaught and west Munster too at various times
    All of the above of course comes with the caveat of if this continues to pan out as it is[/QUOTE Already in from South Kerry...
    Aye, I know Grace's, but at 400ft asl in S Kerry, being near enough to both the Atlantic and mountains what youve had up to now would be a frost comoared to what potentially could come,you might be pushing out the door sometimes, you might not but stay tuned as we know you will

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Let's put things in perspective. A few days ago, the idea of synoptics like these occurring seemed a extreme long shot. Now there is a good chance of a SIG. Cold spell.

No point getting caught up in specifics yet, just allow the models to evolve in coming days. The trend is good. Next week we will get a big cool down, and a further leg down is looking more and more likely thereafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Small sleet shower just passed over here in Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,817 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The only thing I want to see is a significant drop off in rainfall, if that comes with a very frosty spell, so much the better. As for wintry precip, I'll be interested if it verifies at -36hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭rickdangerouss

After this mornings trends, my office day is ending up like this...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

gfs-0-168.png?6?6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Started a snow thread but you may want to merge it? Surrounded by snowy mountains here in South kerry. I am 400 asl and the peaks are maybe 2-3oo ft higher.. dark snow coloured clouds wading in.. will try for photos later.

After an earlier sleet shower, there was a decent snow shower here at 400 feet asl in West Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

gfs-0-168.png?6?6

That's a great chart.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Aye, I know Grace's, but at 400ft asl in S Kerry, being near enough to both the Atlantic and mountains what youve had up to now would be a frost comoared to what potentially could come,you might be pushing out the door sometimes, you might not but stay tuned as we know you will

It is totally beautiful and not to be minimised! Utterly lovely! And the snow here is much higher than my 400 asl... ;) I am too old to be melodramatic! And my doors open inwards like all sensible doors ;) Family in Canada last winter were hemmed in by ten feet of ice last winter. They prepare well there

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Easterly Beasterly

Any chance of a quick synopsis of this please Maq?
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Charts look great this morning. 6z looks a snowfest for the east . That is if the 850z where just a little colder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Overall, very positive developments. Looks like a significant cold spell at a European level, haven't seen charts like these in a good while! Will be interesting to see the cold air interact with the higher than average SSTs.
    In any case whichever way it goes I will see snow (starting tonight as that front hits the cold continental air) as I am off to Denmark for a few weeks :D Regarding Ireland, as was said by other posters I would not look at the single runs but concentrate on the general trend. +72/100 hrs is generally a good period to start looking at the specifics.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭pad199207

6z much better this morning. Steady still as she goes. Get the cold in first then worry about the snow!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

pad199207 wrote: »
    Get the cold in first then worry about the snow!

Exactly.

I say/post this every year....the trend is your friend. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

gfs-0-168.png?6?6
    fe7c5bb1256fcb8aaed53641ba6373aca79a3c9e028b98ed24c5f009093b0e07_:original

Aye, just to be clear,my posts on snow falls are what might happen if a scenario was to verify
    I'm not at all convinced yet that we'll be cold enough this day next week at coastal sea level but the potential is there and do you know what,its strong potential

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Aye, just to be clear,my posts on snow falls are what might happen if a scenario was to verify
    I'm not at all convinced yet that we'll be cold enough this day next week at coastal sea level but the potential is there and do you know what,its strong potential

Potential breeds hope - and we all need hope!! It's the glass half full way of thinking in my book

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭odyboody

Potential breeds hope - and we all need hope!! It's the glass half full way of thinking in my book

not positive enough for me, glass is always 100% full its the percentage of liquid to air that changes.;)

Liquid level currently looking good:)

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

How long is this cold spell expected to last and what day will it be kicking in? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Off to Amsterdam myself on the 24th so if I see nothing here hopefully I'll fare better over there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

torres9kop wrote: »
    How long is this cold spell expected to last and what day will it be kicking in? Thanks

If it happens, it may start around Tuesday/Wednesday.

Impossible to say for now:
    -how long it might last
    -how cold
    -if there will be snow

torres9kop wrote: »

No idea
    There's only a few pages in this thread, so maybe just read them,they're speculation at this stage and you'll have an idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,502 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

For me, the clearest indicator yet that there will be a massive blizzard next week is that I'm getting married next Friday and lots of relatives are flying in on the Wednesday. Therefore it's a cert that there will be 10 foot of snow at Dublin Airport Wednesday morning, which will melt due to Storm Gertrude dumping a record amount of rain on the Friday :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭CiaranMcDCFC

MJohnston wrote: »
    For me, the clearest indicator yet that there will be a massive blizzard next week is that I'm getting married next Friday and lots of relatives are flying in on the Wednesday. Therefore it's a cert that there will be 10 foot of snow at Dublin Airport Wednesday morning, which will melt due to Storm Gertrude dumping a record amount of rain on the Friday :pac:

I am going to a wedding next Friday so I am hoping the snow will hold off until we get to the reception and then we get snowed in with nothing to do but eat and drink!

I wonder is it your wedding!!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

MJohnston wrote: »

Excuse my ignorance if this is a silly question but the comment above has made me wonder if storm Gertrude (or any of the named storms that might happen along) not be a snow event, given the right conditions, obviously?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Don't understand those charts but hopefully there's no snow, such a pain in the arse. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Don't understand those charts but hopefully there's no snow, such a pain in the arse. :mad:

Well you'd probably be better off starting a "Hopefully there's no snow, such a pain in the arse" thread because the majority of us on here will welcome a change to the rain, wind, dull and damp muck we have been subjected to the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

Get out!

Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

I'm quite looking forward to a bit of a proper cold spell. It's always a bit bittersweet for me though. While I like feeling cold air in my lungs and on my face and snow is the dream, it means a daily decision whether I cycle to work or not. Still, it's only for a short while so I'll happily forgo the cycling for a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

737562.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement