Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going into your first day with coffee

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

I think it's just the first impression of someone strolling into work on the first day with a coffee in hand, it just sorta looks a bit too casual and relaxed if you're a new employee.

Maybe the next job I get I will walk in with a cheeseburger in my hand and see if that goes down well or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

crybaby wrote: »
    I think it's just the first impression of someone strolling into work on the first day with a coffee in hand, it just sorta looks a bit too casual and relaxed if you're a new employee.

I don't get it. What's casual about coffee and wouldn't your new employer rather you feel relaxed than a bundle of nerves?

Besides, it's not an interview, you've got the job. I don't think coffee drinking is grounds for dismissal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

It sounds like you are holding the cup like it is an accessory. So my answer is no. i would immediately hate you.

cashback wrote: »
    I don't get it. What's casual about coffee...

Of course it's casual and inappropriate in certain settings. Like chewing gum, hands in pockets and other gestures that can be seen as inappropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

No, OP please don't do this. You'll give off the "too cool for school" vibe. Rightly or wrongly people will think you're an ar$ehole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

It sounds like you are holding the cup like it is an accessory. So my answer is no. i would immediately hate you.
    No, OP please don't do this. You'll give off the "too cool for school" vibe. Rightly or wrongly people will think you're an ar$ehole.

Wow, I didn't realise people had such strong feelings about it.

For the record, I don't personally walk around with coffee as I'd only spill it, I prefer to sit down the odd time I do drink it.

But, I couldn't care less if anyone has a cup in their hands. I'd need more reason to hate them.

Wow, I didn't realise people had such strong feelings about it.

For the record, I don't personally walk around with coffee as I'd only spill it, I prefer to sit down the odd time I do drink it.

But, I couldn't care less if anyone has a cup in their hands. I'd need more reason to hate them.

It doesn't have to be about hate, or dismissal as another poster referred to. It's simply about impressions. And it can be seen as some as casual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

What is wrong with most of you. It's only a cup of coffee ffs. Who cares if you bring one in on your first day. No one will give a sh1t. Bring one if you want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

Swampy wrote: »
    What is wrong with most of you. It's only a cup of coffee ffs. Who cares if you bring one in on your first day. No one will give a sh1t. Bring one if you want to.

This

Couldn't agree more wtf is up with people

Hate is such a strong word. Wouldn't even want to work with or cross paths professionally with someone with that attitude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

It really doesn't matter, what anyone here thinks because we are not working there. Personally I would err on side of caution the first day. You can have all internet polls you want but only people at work matter.

meeeeh wrote: »
    It really doesn't matter, what anyone here thinks because we are not working there. Personally I would err on side of caution the first day. You can have all internet polls you want but only people at work matter.

Dont you ever bad mouth the internet again, its raising our children

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Of course it's casual and inappropriate in certain settings. Like chewing gum, hands in pockets and other gestures that can be seen as inappropriate.

Wow, I work in the most inappropriate place on earth! :D
    Here you will see beards, tattoos, beanies, skinny jeans, coffee being slurped everywhere (yes, we have a Nespresso), hoodies, jeans, runners and we have a MASSIVE stash of chewing gum.
    By accepted business logic we should have failed after 6 months. I'm sure had we asked a business consultant (dressed in an expensive designer suit, no doubt), he would have said "terrible business plan, you need another million in capital to spend on advertising and marketing, unprofessional looking, you won't last 6 months". We went from 6 employees to 60 in 2 years. We get rave reviews and awards. People love us for our attitude. Why? Because someone in shirt and tie, having had conformity and rules and regulations bate into them would say "I'm sorry, that is not supported, I'm afraid the manual doesn't cover this, there is no process for this". We say "Sure, why not? I don't know, but let's try it, not at the moment, but let me ask development if there is anything we can do".
    OK, we are an IT company, maybe it's different, but maybe it's a sign of the times. Things are changing, 19th century attitudes are slowly moving on and the really clever people can see beyond a suit and tie.
    But maybe that's why some companies are so fixated on them, people are dazzled by the suit, they can't see past it, it's a great thing to hide behind. With the right suit and portraying the right attitude, people are willing to believe and forgive anything. Maybe some people feel naked without the suit, they have nothing to hide behind.

Here you will see beards, tattoos, beanies, skinny jeans, coffee being slurped everywhere (yes, we have a Nespresso), hoodies, jeans, runners and we have a MASSIVE stash of chewing gum.
    By accepted business logic we should have failed after 6 months. I'm sure had we asked a business consultant (dressed in an expensive designer suit, no doubt), he would have said "terrible business plan, you need another million in capital to spend on advertising and marketing, unprofessional looking, you won't last 6 months". We went from 6 employees to 60 in 2 years. We get rave reviews and awards. People love us for our attitude. Why? Because someone in shirt and tie, having had conformity and rules and regulations bate into them would say "I'm sorry, that is not supported, I'm afraid the manual doesn't cover this, there is no process for this". We say "Sure, why not? I don't know, but let's try it, not at the moment, but let me ask development if there is anything we can do".
    OK, we are an IT company, maybe it's different, but maybe it's a sign of the times. Things are changing, 19th century attitudes are slowly moving on and the really clever people can see beyond a suit and tie.
    But maybe that's why some companies are so fixated on them, people are dazzled by the suit, they can't see past it, it's a great thing to hide behind. With the right suit and portraying the right attitude, people are willing to believe and forgive anything. Maybe some people feel naked without the suit, they have nothing to hide behind.

Bloody hippies, I suppose next you'll be telling us companies rely on IT?

OP - this is the perfect answer right here and the mods have my permission to now close this thread!

By accepted business logic we should have failed after 6 months...

Where is this "accepted business logic"?

Simply saying that it leaves some with a poor impression is not the same as saying "coffee = hate, dismissal and business failure". No more than chewing gum does not mean dismissal or failure, it simply may be seen as casual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

etoughguy wrote: »
    This

Couldn't agree more wtf is up with people
    Weird insecurity all right towards people carrying a paper cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Figbiscuithead

Strange thing to hold against someone. I can't see the issue at all, personally, and don't think it gives off a casual air. If a person is professional and looks professional besides, carrying a beverage wouldn't make a difference. It's a fairly common sight to see office workers carrying coffee about.

Azalea wrote: »
    Weird insecurity all right towards people carrying a paper cup.

There is a lot of drama being injected into this.

Again it's not about hate or dismissal or businesses failing or, as you suggest, personal insecurities. I don't even know what that means, could you explain the link in more detail please.

Some simply think it looks casual. That's all. You will accept that it is inappropriate in certain settings anyway, surely.

Where is this "accepted business logic"?

Simply saying that it leaves some with a poor impression is not the same as saying "coffee = hate, dismissal and business failure". No more than chewing gum does not mean dismissal or failure, it simply may be seen as casual.

We have often been described as such. ;)
    I think we work in very different environments.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

There is a lot of drama being injected into this.

Some simply think it looks casual. That's all.
    You were the one suggesting that it meant the person couldn't finish their breakfast on time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Better than turning up latte I suppose.

OP you're just trying to espresso yourself.
    I say give it a shot, the daily grind is hard enough.

Better than turning up latte I suppose.

OP you're just trying to espresso yourself.
    I say give it a shot, the daily grind is hard enough.

Now you're just milking it. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 422 ✭✭LeeLooLee

I can't believe that this thread has run to six pages.

I also can't believe that the OP has received any response other than 'It's up to you OP, it's just a cup of coffee. No big deal.'

Do people really analyse this kind of stuff so intently?
    I also don't understand the coffee hate. I don't tend to walk around with takeaway coffees but so what if someone else does?

There seems to be some sort of perception in Ireland that drinking coffee makes you a hipster/a coffee snob/a slave to caffeine and I'm not sure why.

Same here. I'm actually shocked. It makes some sense to me though, as my first job post college (in a finance type job :cool:) was full of people who picked apart every last thing and would destroy someone for breaking some unwritten rule. I can imagine them rushing to send each other nasty emails about the new girl who'd shown up to work with a .... COFFEE CUP. There is nothing rude, unprofessional or weird about going to work with a coffee. The people who think there's something wrong with it are the same type who would scrutinise your outfit, shoes, hair, bag, just waiting to find something wrong with you. Real professional people would be too busy getting on with their work to notice or care about something so trivial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

If I was the boss, I'd say nothing but add it to the list of reasons why you failed your probation period.

If I was the boss, I'd say nothing but add it to the list of reasons why you failed your probation period.

That would make you an a-hole boss

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 422 ✭✭LeeLooLee

And who would want to work for someone like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

etoughguy wrote: »
    That would make you an a-hole boss

More than likely, a successful boss. It's the details that count. Clutching a cup of placebo one day 1 is indicative of poor attitude.

Actually when I think about it, I'd be very surprised if the person in question got past me during interview.

More than likely, a successful boss. It's the details that count. Clutching a cup of placebo one day 1 is indicative of poor attitude.

Actually when I think about it, I'd be very surprised if the person in question got past me during interview.

" Clutching a cup of placebo"
    So you're an idiot boss as well as an a-hole one then?

I assume you're winding me up!

osarusan wrote: »
    You were the one suggesting that it meant the person couldn't finish their breakfast on time.

Precisely.

That's about the level it's at.

Not personal insecurity, or business failing, or dismissal, or hate...do you actually equate those with an unfinished breakfast????

• Advertisement

I'd be surprised if all those who say it's fine, it's grand, would go into an interview with a cup of coffee.

Why?

Because there are times when it may appear a bit casual and inappropriate...

Advertisement