Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going into your first day with coffee

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

It's clearly a big no no, even madness to consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

etoughguy wrote: »
    " Clutching a cup of placebo"
    So you're an idiot boss as well as an a-hole one then?

I assume you're winding me up!

Don't you think you are taking this a bit too personally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

Don't you think you are taking this a bit too personally?

He hurt my feelings and I think he should be banned!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Coffee all the way, look, I'm slurping one right now AND I'm not wearing a tie! :cool:
    OK, just as the OP I would not show up on my first day with a coffee, I would drink that beforehand. Day 2, you would have a much better handle on the culture of the place.
    As for:
    More than likely, a successful boss. It's the details that count. Clutching a cup of placebo one day 1 is indicative of poor attitude.

Actually when I think about it, I'd be very surprised if the person in question got past me during interview.

i think that is a good argument FOR turning up with a cup of coffee, to avoid working for precisely that type of person, though I doubt Mr Walrus is in a position to hire and fire people, he's just stirring it a little for the sake of it.
    Anyone who thinks that is how you run a successful company has been watching a bit too much of The Apprentice and now thinks this is how business works. That show has a lot to answer for.
    You could have worked like that between '09 and '12, because there was no jobs, but if you carry on like that now, you will hemorrhage staff at a rate of knots.
    Have you considered trusting your (fictional) employees and judging them by their stats and customer feedback? Would you fire someone who gets excellent results, but had a coffee in their hand when they started?
    You're cutting your nose off to spite your face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Coffee all the way, look, I'm slurping one right now AND I'm not wearing a tie! :cool:
    OK, just as the OP I would not show up on my first day with a coffee, I would drink that beforehand. Day 2, you would have a much better handle on the culture of the place.
    As for:

i think that is a good argument FOR turning up with a cup of coffee, to avoid working for precisely that type of person, though I doubt Mr Walrus is in a position to hire and fire people, he's just stirring it a little for the sake of it.
    Anyone who thinks that is how you run a successful company has been watching a bit too much of The Apprentice and now thinks this is how business works. That show has a lot to answer for.
    You could have worked like that between '09 and '12, because there was no jobs, but if you carry on like that now, you will hemorrhage staff at a rate of knots.
    Have you considered trusting your (fictional) employees and judging them by their stats and customer feedback? Would you fire someone who gets excellent results, but had a coffee in their hand when they started?
    You're cutting your nose off to spite your face.

I consider hiring a very important process. It is very difficult to get right. I would only hire people who had displayed the right attitude in the interview, shown desire. Someone showing up to my desk on day 1, coffee in hand. I'd definitely mark it down. The person might be amazing but instead of starting at 0, they'd be starting at -1, and have to impress to recover.

Why, why on earth take the risk? Set your alarm 15 minutes earlier to have the coffee. Today's job market is so competitive. If my new hire wasn't aware of this, it would make me wonder what else s/he is clueless about. If the new hire knew it was a risk but took it anyway, I'd question their attitude.

You might argue that there is a difference between working in a bank versus working in a petrol station, but to me there is no difference. It's about attitude. Coffee in one hand on day one tells me this job is not important to you. An attitude like that is a risk to my business and will cost me money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I consider hiring a very important process. It is very difficult to get right. I would only hire people who had displayed the right attitude in the interview, shown desire. Someone showing up to my desk on day 1, coffee in hand. I'd definitely mark it down. The person might be amazing but instead of starting at 0, they'd be starting at -1, and have to impress to recover.

Why, why on earth take the risk? Set your alarm 15 minutes earlier to have the coffee. Today's job market is so competitive. If my new hire wasn't aware of this, it would make me wonder what else s/he is clueless about. If the new hire knew it was a risk but took it anyway, I'd question their attitude.

You might argue that there is a difference between working in a bank versus working in a petrol station, but to me there is no difference. It's about attitude. Coffee in one hand on day one tells me this job is not important to you. An attitude like that is a risk to my business and will cost me money.

Turning away good, competent staff over trivial things, and then potentially ending up with a complete scrubber just because they passed the test of unspoken and apparently arbitrary rules would probably cost you a damn sight more though.

Turning away good, competent staff over trivial things, and then potentially ending up with a complete scrubber just because they passed the test of unspoken and apparently arbitrary rules would probably cost you a damn sight more though.

Not arbitrary. It's a code of conduct/common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Evidently, people on this thread disagree.

There doesn't seem to be any consensus that coming in with a coffee on day one (what about day two or five?) is indicative of the employee's attitude - plenty of posters don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'd be surprised if all those who say it's fine, it's grand, would go into an interview with a cup of coffee.

Why?

Because there are times when it may appear a bit casual and inappropriate...
    Just as well that's not what's being discussed then, isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

What sort of jobs do ye people work in?

I've never had a job where coming in with a cup of coffee would be even given a second thought.

What's risky about it? Has anyone ever been fired for bringing in coffee?

Again - what sort of jobs do ye people work in?

I'm so confused. My whole world view has been turned on its head.

Am I amazingly rude and just don't know it?

Well, am I, ye pr*cks?

• Advertisement

osarusan wrote: »
    Evidently, people on this thread disagree.

There doesn't seem to be any consensus that coming in with a coffee on day one (what about day two or five?) is indicative of the employee's attitude - plenty of posters don't think so.

Yes, I agree. It makes me wonder what type of jobs the folk who think it's ok apply for. Maybe it's less important in menial jobs, but still.

There's no doubt that it's too risky to consider. The folk who agree are willing to take the risk, more fool them.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    What sort of jobs do ye people work in?

I've never had a job where coming in with a cup of coffee would be even given a second thought.

Are you implying that it's ok for some types of jobs but not for others? I'd argue it's not ok for any job. There might be less impact in certain jobs but it's never wise.

What a load of rubbish - are you an actual manager somewhere?
    Also if you are, I assume you're on a day off and not wasting company time and money on boards

Are you implying that it's ok for some types of jobs but not for others? I'd argue it's not ok for any job. There might be less impact in certain jobs but it's never wise.

I'm not sure. I never even considered that it would be a major faux pas to be honest.

I don't get why it would be considered bad at all.

It's coffee. People drink it throughout the day at work. Why would it be a big deal that they're drinking one at the start of the day.

What if it was a bottle of water? Would you take the same dim view of it?

I am honestly amazed that you think it's a big deal.

What sort of business do you work in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Going into work with a coffee on your first day shouldn't matter, unless of course your new boss is an uptight prick! Still I wouldn't do it, but then again I don't like coffee :-)

Hey Mods - what happened to my hilarious banana joke?

They went ape and deleted it

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

It split

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    It split

High fyffes all around

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 422 ✭✭LeeLooLee

Yes, I agree. It makes me wonder what type of jobs the folk who think it's ok apply for. Maybe it's less important in menial jobs, but still.

There's no doubt that it's too risky to consider. The folk who agree are willing to take the risk, more fool them.

In my last job, nobody would have batted an eyelid at someone turning up with a coffee. There were people there with dreadlocks, piercings, tattoos and wearing jeans. On my first day, my line manager who was inducting me was wearing denim dungarees and flip flops. Not a menial job. Most people had PhDs and were on very high salaries.

If an employer thought I'd done something wrong by turning up with a coffee, I'd be glad to find out so early that they were the type of person I'd never want to work for.

• Advertisement

LeeLooLee wrote: »
    In my last job, nobody would have batted an eyelid at someone turning up with a coffee. There were people there with dreadlocks, piercings, tattoos and wearing jeans. On my first day, my line manager who was inducting me was wearing denim dungarees and flip flops. Not a menial job. Most people had PhDs and were on very high salaries.

If an employer thought I'd done something wrong by turning up with a coffee, I'd be glad to find out so early that they were the type of person I'd never want to work for.

I think it's funny that he thinks the sort of people who'd turn up with a coffee only work in 'menial' jobs.

I'm dying to find out what important bevarage-hating place of work he's a manager in.

etoughguy wrote: »
    What a load of rubbish - are you an actual manager somewhere?
    Also if you are, I assume you're on a day off and not wasting company time and money on boards

Not very likely. If yes, then it's one of those weapons grade offices full of soulless drones with dead eyes that will dress smart, follow all of the 182 company policies and make sure they don't violate procedure. "I'm sorry Sir, but we don't support that"
    And are probably sending out dozens of CV's to get out of the place.
    I've worked in those offices. Their function is to get up the ladder, get the experience, you play the game, you bide your time and then it's on to the next job. One of them will be the right one. After a while you notice all the smart people moving on. And a lot of the very strictest places (quote: You don't have to wear a suit, a blazer/trouser combination with tie will suffice) will be the ones with the sh*ttiest pay and the highest staff turnover. But they know that and don't care, as the quality of the work output is not as important as saving a few quid on salaries. As long as they all look professional.
    Mr Walrus states it's a competitive job market. Not as competitive as it was 3 years ago. Anyone with a few skills and a language will soon be able to be a bit more picky about where they work. Yes there are many people unemployed, but not many of them are office staff with skills and languages. And if you are a programmer or engineer, there was never a difficult time finding work.
    Time to start job hopping again. Thankfully not me, I found a great place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

There is a lot of drama being injected into this.

Again it's not about hate or dismissal or businesses failing or, as you suggest, personal insecurities. I don't even know what that means, could you explain the link in more detail please.

Some simply think it looks casual. That's all. You will accept that it is inappropriate in certain settings anyway, surely.
    Nespresso ad popped up on TV while I was reading this thread - worried about Skynet. And now I'm watching Terminator 2...

:eek:

Seriously though, I don't mean people who say it might look a bit casual on the first day at work - I don't think an employer would put much stock into it, but maybe they would, who knows.

What I'm talking about is people saying stuff like those who carry a takeaway coffee cup are invariably tossers, trying to look cool, this "wtf is this obsession with coffee?" annoyance at people really liking coffee.
    I couldn't be less concerned with following fads and what's cool - I'm far too old for that silliness. I just really really enjoy a cup of coffee from the nearby coffee place in the mornings. I don't feel like it for the rest of the day. I will survive if I don't have my coffee in the morning but I really dislike if I don't get a chance to buy one. It's a habit, a comfort thing. Like lots of little habits/pleasures. Possibly has a degree of addiction, and caffeine does have addictive properties (although I don't drink coffee at all for the rest of the day, I prefer tea in the afternoon). There's no "image" aspect to it (come on! It's a cup off fecking coffee!) - it's a pick-me-up in the morning, I love the taste, nothing more.

It's just weird for people to feel almost... threatened, by something so mundane.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Vancity

I'm gobsmacked :eek: Do people genuinely think this is a no-no or that people drinking coffee in cardboard cups are always tossers? I LOVE my morning coffee and I get it from the same place every day. I would definitely do it on my first day as well - it's like a comfort from any nerves. I'm moving back to Dublin soon and I have actually started researching where to get my coffee from that's close to my new office....maybe I should be rethinking that :(

Not to hijack but can anyone recommend a good coffee place near Baggot Street bridge? It's been a while since I've been around there!

Vancity wrote: »
    I'm gobsmacked :eek: Do people genuinely think this is a no-no or that people drinking coffee in cardboard cups are always tossers? I LOVE my morning coffee and I get it from the same place every day. I would definitely do it on my first day as well - it's like a comfort from any nerves. I'm moving back to Dublin soon and I have actually started researching where to get my coffee from that's close to my new office....maybe I should be rethinking that :(

Not to hijack but can anyone recommend a good coffee place near Baggot Street bridge? It's been a while since I've been around there!

I know there is defo a thread on boards somewhere about great coffee shops in dublin city centre so if you search you might find it (sorry cant remember the name of the thread). Been years since I lived there so cant offer any myself

Guys I'm going into work this morning with two cups of coffee. According to this thread I should be fired.

Let's see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Guys I'm going into work this morning with two cups of coffee. According to this thread I should be fired.

Let's see what happens.

when you're finished, put both cups on your chest to make it look like you have boobs, for added effect.

Let's see what happens.

Only if it's your first day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

It's all about optics.

• Advertisement

Let's see what happens.

I have found out after many years that it is better not to worry and be yourself, because pretending you're someone or something you're not and being unhappy in an oppressive workplace is just not worth it.
    That way people with free spirits and a creative mind will eventually find a workplace where they fit in and people like Mr. Walrus get the clock-punching zombies and office drones they so value.

Advertisement