Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going into your first day with coffee

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

That it should be a non-issue. Did you not read what he wrote?

He said he agreed with a poster who pretty much summed up what I had been saying, only the other poster was nicer about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Vancity

This is so funny how something so innocuous could be seen by some as an indicator of whether they're ambitious and driven...:O Just different views I guess.

Thanks for the Coffee2go recommendation, I will be heading in to work mid December armed with a cup - I'll report back if I get shown the door :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Just out of interest IAmWalrus - what sort of job do you work in?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

He said he agreed with a poster who pretty much summed up what I had been saying, only the other poster was nicer about it.

You see, attitude goes a long way.
    Also, I don't think the other poster said anything about black marks against said people and marking them down for dismissal. I also again remarked it should he a non issue.
    There is a difference between maybe someone taking someone aside and saying "I noticed you did xyz, please don't don't again" and thinking "first chance I get I boot that bastard"

seamus wrote: »
    Depends on whether your work is time-sensitive, surely? What's wrong with turning up at 9:10 if there's nobody relying on you being there at that time?

Presume time is an issue, after all the poster said...
    OK, I accept that. Would you describe your management style as authoritarian? Come in on time...

On time implies that there is a time to turn up at.

• Advertisement

etoughguy wrote: »
    Of course it's management style, one removed from the real world

Suppose the new hire was up all night with a sick child and got zero sleep and stopped by the coffee shop next to the office for a quick coffee - you'd start him at -1 instead of 0 as you mentioned, no compassion involved. Management involves people management and you judge him in the negative for bringing a cup of coffee into an office. Get dafuq out of here, glad I never worked with someone like you. Assuming you are an actual manager??

Did their tongue fall out or could they not explain "up all night with a sick kid"?

I mean, if someone turned up in my line of work in a teeshirt chewing gum they'd be told to just go home. If it was their first day they possibly would not get a second. But if they explained that they came straight from a disaster zone where they saved peoples lives that would be factored in...

Advertisement