Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going into your first day with coffee

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Only if it's your first day.

Damn it! Off to Monster.ie with me!

This isn't over!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I turned up on my first day with a cup of coffee from Costa. In fact, it wasn't even my first day - I'd signed the contracts and wasn't due to start for two months, but offered to come in for a day to do an early handover from the guy I'd be replacing, because he would be gone before I started.

So I turned up with a coffee in my hand. Five minutes late. And wearing jeans.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

Vancity wrote: »
    I'm gobsmacked :eek: Do people genuinely think this is a no-no or that people drinking coffee in cardboard cups are always tossers? I LOVE my morning coffee and I get it from the same place every day. I would definitely do it on my first day as well - it's like a comfort from any nerves. I'm moving back to Dublin soon and I have actually started researching where to get my coffee from that's close to my new office....maybe I should be rethinking that :(

Not to hijack but can anyone recommend a good coffee place near Baggot Street bridge? It's been a while since I've been around there!

I work in the area, you have huge choice there with all the usual **** options like obriens, Starbucks, insomnia, thunders right at the bridge. Best coffee in the area by a mile is Coffee2go, right at Baggot street bridge on Mespil road. The queues speak for themselves. Next best is probably the Barista counter in donnybrook fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I work in the area, you have huge choice there with all the usual **** options like obriens, Starbucks, insomnia, thunders right at the bridge. Best coffee in the area by a mile is Coffee2go, right at Baggot street bridge on Mespil road. The queues speak for themselves. Next best is probably the Barista counter in donnybrook fair.

I'd second Coffee2Go - hate the name but that's a damn fine cup of coffee and hot too!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I'd second Coffee2Go - hate the name but that's a damn fine cup of coffee and hot too!

Ya it is a stupid name. It's also attracting more and more unbearable types given Amazon are based around the corner, like the person in front of me ordering a "flat white, with a little foam on top" the other day. That's just a fcuking latte you gimp.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

seamus wrote: »
    I turned up on my first day with a cup of coffee from Costa. In fact, it wasn't even my first day - I'd signed the contracts and wasn't due to start for two months, but offered to come in for a day to do an early handover from the guy I'd be replacing, because he would be gone before I started.

So I turned up with a coffee in my hand. Five minutes late. And wearing jeans.

And? You haven't a clue what impact that had. It's not as if you would be told that behavior was wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

And? You haven't a clue what impact that had. It's not as if you would be told that behavior was wrong.

Silently judging people without giving feedback and then one day casually strolling over and telling them to clear out their desk?
    It's like working for the Stasi. As I keep saying, just have the coffee, if you get fired over it, it's better in the long run. I would be proud to get fired from such a workplace. Some of us are human beings. Whilst others are either horrible bosses who obviously command a gulag or just stirring things up on the internet for the fun of it.

just stirring things up on the internet for the fun of it.

I can assure you I am not.

I can assure you I am not.

OK, I accept that. Would you describe your management style as authoritarian? Come in on time, properly dressed, do your work, follow orders, no food or drink at the desk, meetings are a one way communication, hit your targets kinda thing? People would say it's an approach that "works", but I would argue a more relaxed atmosphere might bring better results. You're not giving much away. Civil service?

OK, I accept that. Would you describe your management style as authoritarian? Come in on time, properly dressed, do your work, follow orders, no food or drink at the desk, meetings are a one way communication, hit your targets kinda thing? People would say it's an approach that "works", but I would argue a more relaxed atmosphere might bring better results. You're not giving much away. Civil service?

This has nothing to do with management style. It's employee behavior style. I don't think a very ambitious, driven person would arrive at a new job with a cup of coffee in hand. Others would, and it might have no impact, but I'd prefer to hire and work with people who recognize coffee on day 1 is a no-no.

It's like a CV being binned for a typographical error. Yes, of course you could be missing out on the best employee ever but not many have the time/money to take that risk. Same with starting day 1 with a coffee, it's a little detail that is more than likely a warning sign of future problems.

• Advertisement

:D
    You sound like you're great craic.

"John's tie was tied in a schoolboy knot today rather than a windsor knot. That's a red dot on his chart. Oh, I see Mary is wearing her flats today rather than a small heel. Red dot.
    Holy crap, Michael came in with a coffee this morning. He must have gotten out of bed late and didn't finish his breakfast. That's a black dot, I'll have to bring it up at the next performance review."

OK, I accept that. Would you describe your management style as authoritarian? Come in on time...

Ah come on, expecting punctuality is hardly authoritarian, it's a basic courtesy to be on time.

Ah come on, expecting punctuality is hardly authoritarian, it's a basic courtesy to be on time.
    Depends on whether your work is time-sensitive, surely? What's wrong with turning up at 9:10 if there's nobody relying on you being there at that time?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 422 ✭✭LeeLooLee

This has nothing to do with management style. It's employee behavior style. I don't think a very ambitious, driven person would arrive at a new job with a cup of coffee in hand. Others would, and it might have no impact, but I'd prefer to hire and work with people who recognize coffee on day 1 is a no-no.

It's like a CV being binned for a typographical error. Yes, of course you could be missing out on the best employee ever but not many have the time/money to take that risk. Same with starting day 1 with a coffee, it's a little detail that is more than likely a warning sign of future problems.

You just want automatons with no individuality or creativity. That would create 'problems' for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

Of course it's management style, one removed from the real world

Suppose the new hire was up all night with a sick child and got zero sleep and stopped by the coffee shop next to the office for a quick coffee - you'd start him at -1 instead of 0 as you mentioned, no compassion involved. Management involves people management and you judge him in the negative for bringing a cup of coffee into an office. Get dafuq out of here, glad I never worked with someone like you. Assuming you are an actual manager??

seamus wrote: »
    Depends on whether your work is time-sensitive, surely? What's wrong with turning up at 9:10 if there's nobody relying on you being there at that time?

Surely you don't think it is ok to go to work 10 minutes late on day 1 though?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 422 ✭✭LeeLooLee

etoughguy wrote: »
    Of course it's management style, one removed from the real world

Suppose the new hire was up all night with a sick child and got zero sleep and stopped by the coffee shop next to the office for a quick coffee - you'd start him at -1 instead of 0 as you mentioned, no compassion involved. Management involves people management and you judge him in the negative for bringing a cup of coffee into an office. Get dafuq out of here, glad I never worked with someone like you. Assuming you are an actual manager??

Trained at the David Brent school of management :D

LeeLooLee wrote: »
    Trained at the David Brent school of management :D

"Get the guitar!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Augeo wrote: »
    I've never seen anyone do this, it's not a no no but not the done thing.
    I can't think of any reason why it would be necessary tbh.

Huh? You've never seem someone into work with a takeaway coffee?

Tarzana2 wrote: »

Hey, long time no hear, how you doin'?

I think it should be a non-issue. Unless the person asks everyone to "Irish up" their coffee. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Tarzana2 wrote: »

I'd say it's unusual on the first day.

Anywhere I've started work, you start by going around being introduced to everyone, shaking lots of hands, etc. You may be given your handbook, new employee forms, other paperwork, etc. Better to keep your hands free, if your left arm is full of paperwork you don't want to have to put your coffee cup down on the CEO's desk in order to be able to shake hands with him!

Also chances are you'll be offered a coffee in the office kitchen to break the ice ... not really an option though if you've already brought your own.

And you don't know what kind of regulations there are, for example there might be a rule that no food/drink is allowed at desks - you're just creating an awkward situation when someone has to tell you that.

Plus it just looks unprofessional. You wouldn't turn up at an interview or an external meeting with a takeaway coffee, so you shouldn't do it on your first day in the job. If it's the office norm (as it is in many places) to bring in coffee, grand, you can start doing it from Day Two. But not on the very first day.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Aye Bosun

Wow, turning up for work on your first day with a coffee in hand! You're not there to drink coffee you're there to work, if you need your coffee that badly in the morning then get up 15 mins early to drink it in the cafe. Personally if I saw a new employee working thought the door with a coffee in hand I'd be questioning their commitment and motivation for the role. Fair enough when you've been around a few months and shown your worth but you're not giving a very good first impression of yourself IMHO.

Surely you don't think it is ok to go to work 10 minutes late on day 1 though?
    Well in that case there's someone relying on you being on time, so I think my statement accounts for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Going in first day with a coffee would be a little odd. Going in any other day with a coffee is perfectly normal.

It's obvious that even the OP realised it might be questionable given that they asked the question here.

Aye Bosun wrote: »
    Wow, turning up for work on your first day with a coffee in hand! You're not there to drink coffee you're there to work, if you need your coffee that badly in the morning then get up 15 mins early to drink it in the cafe. Personally if I saw a new employee working thought the door with a coffee in hand I'd be questioning their commitment and motivation for the role. Fair enough when you've been around a few months and shown your worth but you're not giving a very good first impression of yourself IMHO.

Me no coffee not function well without

I'd say it's unusual on the first day.

Anywhere I've started work, you start by going around being introduced to everyone, shaking lots of hands, etc. You may be given your handbook, new employee forms, other paperwork, etc. Better to keep your hands free, if your left arm is full of paperwork you don't want to have to put your coffee cup down on the CEO's desk in order to be able to shake hands with him!

Also chances are you'll be offered a coffee in the office kitchen to break the ice ... not really an option though if you've already brought your own.

And you don't know what kind of regulations there are, for example there might be a rule that no food/drink is allowed at desks - you're just creating an awkward situation when someone has to tell you that.

Plus it just looks unprofessional. You wouldn't turn up at an interview or an external meeting with a takeaway coffee, so you shouldn't do it on your first day in the job. If it's the office norm (as it is in many places) to bring in coffee, grand, you can start doing it from Day Two. But not on the very first day.

One the whole, I can live with that. It's only reasonable and, to me, dictated more by practicality, rather than office etiquette. Arguing about different styles of office and management aside, even I would not arrive at my new job on day 1 with a coffee and donut. But, even if someone did, it should be a non-issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

One the whole, I can live with that. It's only reasonable and, to me, dictated more by practicality, rather than office etiquette. Arguing about different styles of office and management aside, even I would not arrive at my new job on day 1 with a coffee and donut. But, even if someone did, it should be a non-issue.

So what were you arguing about all this time then? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Hey, long time no hear, how you doin'?

I think it should be a non-issue. Unless the person asks everyone to "Irish up" their coffee. :pac:

Hi, fuzzy wuzzy! :pac: \o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

So what were you arguing about all this time then? :confused:

That it should be a non-issue. Did you not read what he wrote?

Advertisement