Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going into your first day with coffee

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 LeTickler

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I'd bring in a donor kebab.

Clearly someone who would bring in and eat one on a workday morning shows they mean business and aren't to be trifled with.

Kebab and trifle.
    Thats a recipe to burn the pipe off ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Not you OP, but a certain section of society see seems to see Coffee as a fashion accessory, a statement about themselves. Coffee should come with a little cream, or sugar, or have it black. These bastards with their pretentious sized cups of liquid conformity should be given a toe up their holes. There's no room to put a toe there though as that's generally where they keep their heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,481 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Unless your surname is Lumbergh, then no.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I don't think its unusual, coffee as you go, like others have mentioned drink it up and bin it before arriving.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

As long as you dont walk into your first day at Insomniac carrying a Starbucks cup, I think you'll be ok....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

If in doubt leave it out. Drink your coffee before you arrive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Well OP? What you do in the end?
    And as for people hating on takeaway coffee in papercups, go get a coffee enema. I.e. shove it...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Well OP? What you do in the end?
    And as for people hating on takeaway coffee in papercups, go get a coffee enema. I.e. shove it...

I don't think that's how the enema is supposed to work...:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

As long as you are not caught sipping from the hip flask. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Do you mean holding a coffee like you are holding the Olympic torch?
    Not on the first day, the second day, or any other day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

If I were to go by the uberjudgemental people on boards, I'd be paralyzed by fear based on the amount of things people claim instantly makes you a tosser.

Paper cofee cup? Tosser. Scarf? Tosser. Some of us mfers are cold, ffs!

Homeless guys have scarves and paper coffee cups all the time, freakin tossers, like. And they're on the dole, too, scrounger scum taking 53 cents of all my euro!

Anyway OP tell us what went down or I boycott your threads for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Do you think rocking up to your first day in a new job holding a cup of coffee is a no no? Or am I overthinking it?

I've found the responses on this topic hilarious. Why would you even care what anyone thinks about whether you have a cup of coffee or not? If a workplace had a problem with someone bringing in a coffee I for one wouldn't work there. Life is for enjoying, don't stress yourself with wasted time pondering over such irrelevant nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

This coffee nonsense really bugs me.

Can't start the day without coffee...ffs

Ok, let's break for coffee...ffs

I've one guy in the team, he goes out and gets coffee from a coffee shop (at 3 quid a pop) about 6 times a day. I know it's his business, but come on, who wouldn't get annoyed if everytime you asked, "hey, can you do this for me please?, the response was "Sure thing boss, just after I get some more coffee"...

FFS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

No. I wouldn't recommend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

what a strange question to ask.

f*ck me how do people even think up this sh*t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

I hope I am not the only one waiting for A. Von Bismarks opinion on this issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I hope I am not the only one waiting for A. Von Bismarks opinion on this issue!

You are not.

I always thought carrying a coffee makes you look very motivated and determined in the workplace.

You know...a tosser.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Can people not just walk, arrive or go to these days. Fcking "rocking up" , nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Canterelle

What are you rocking up in? Your bmw or just...your shoes?

hardCopy wrote: »
    I don't think that's how the enema is supposed to work...:eek:

Coffee enema. It's the new thing. Only 11 left, order now!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Instant-Coffee-Detox-Enema-Cleansing/dp/B00GNWNTUM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1447101985&sr=8-2&keywords=coffee+enema+kits

How would it look arriving at work whilst holding a bag over your head with a pipe disappearing down the back your trousers? And of course one would have to excuse themselves rather hastily a few minutes later.

• Advertisement

It seems casual to turn up clutching a cup of coffee. If I was the employer, I'd probably wonder why this person could not organise finishing their breakfast first and going to work after. What next, sauntering in still chomping on a slice of toast or applying make up?

It seems casual to turn up clutching a cup of coffee. If I was the employer, I'd probably wonder why this person could not organise finishing their breakfast first and going to work after. What next, sauntering in still chomping on a slice of toast or applying make up?

If I was their employer, and I found myself with enough spare time on my hands to come up with that rash a judgement on somebody for drinking coffee, I'd probably wonder why my business is doing so badly that I have that kind of spare time in the first place, and maybe reconsider my habit of judging the quality of employees on trivial bullsh1t.

But that's just me, like.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Just get a proper espresso, drink it in 30 seconds and bin the cup. At least you'll have some decent coffee.

If I was their employer, and I found myself with enough spare time on my hands to come up with that rash a judgement on somebody for drinking coffee, I'd probably wonder why my business is doing so badly that I have that kind of spare time in the first place, and maybe reconsider my habit of judging the quality of employees on trivial bullsh1t.

But that's just me, like.

But if someone can't finish their breakfast first and then go to work, it's not really that rash or judgemental to think why can't they finish their breakfast first and then go to work. It's...kinda thinking about the very actions they are performing.

As for the business doing badly bit...could you go through that again? Are you saying that if a person in business forms an opinion about the impression made by another, the business must be doing badly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Are you sure you need to bring in a cup of coffee?

We've a Jura coffee machine in work. The coffee is far superior to anything that you'll be served in a paper cup. I was so impressed that I splashed out on a similar Jura for my apartment.

I'd imagine that most employers will offer at the very least a Nespresso machine for their employees. It's a very small price to pay for keeping your employees happy and 'caffeinated'.

I'd say it depends. If they walk in with a coffee and a danish or breakfast roll 20 minutes late you have a point, but if they arrive 20 minutes early, who cares if they bring a coffee? If they are meant to start at 08:00 and they are at their desk, ready to jump in, does their choice of breakfast routine matter to you? Would you be interested how they get up and get to work perhaps?
    Next you'll complain about them not wearing "suitable business attire".
    I thank my lucky stars I work in an office where you could arrive one day in a suit and one day in drag and the suit would get more comments made about it.
    I am just lucky to work in a 21st century company that values people not on their choice of beverage or attire, but you know, their work.
    But of course having conformity along with school uniforms drummed into their heads, most people have trouble with that concept. They would rather hire someone in a Dunnes Polyester suit that follows orders without question, rather than someone with actual talent, intelligence and ability. Some companies would do well to drag themselves away from Ebenezer Scrooge's Dickensian work ethic and into even the 20th century.

Are you saying that if a person in business forms an opinion about the impression made by another, the business must be doing badly?

I see a woman. She's drinking coffee. Probably not employment material.

If you think that's a reasonable line of thinking, then your staff turnover is going to be pretty ****ing astronomical. That's all I'm saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

Should be OK providing you dilute it 50% with Buckfast.
    Classy!

I see a woman. She's drinking coffee. Probably not employment material.

If you think that's a reasonable line of thinking, then your staff turnover is going to be pretty ****ing astronomical. That's all I'm saying.

Where did you get the "probably not employment material line"? Or what is the relevance about it being a female?

I think you must be confusing my posts with one made by another poster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

It's nothing to do with not finishing breakfast though. A lot of people just pick up a coffee on their way in to work.

I assume the guy has already interviewed, done the formal stuff and gotten the job. Showing up day 1 with a coffee shows the guys a coffee drinker and little else to any employer not looking for pointless nonsense to occupy his time.

Advertisement