Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going into your first day with coffee

Options
  • 09-11-2015 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭

Do you think rocking up to your first day in a new job holding a cup of coffee is a no no? Or am I overthinking it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Hang on, is this an Irish Coffee that you are rocking up to work with?

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Do you think rocking up to your first day in a new job holding a cup of coffee is a no no? Or am I overthinking it?

I dunno, I personnaly wouldn't, they will most likely offer you coffee/tea when you get there. Plus you'll be brought around to be introduced to everyone if its anything like my office so you'll be busy talking and shaking hands, it will get cold and you won't get to drink it anyway. I'd give it a miss for today, or just finish it before you get there.
    Best of luck on your first day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

You're over thinking it.

Unless of course, it's a place where having food/drink in the workplace is not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

its a no no. Jesus you shouldnt even have to ask this question.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 LeTickler

Coffee !!?? On the first day.
    Are you mad.

Whats next ... eating winegums and walking round in your paddington bear onesie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭tmh106

No. Maybe cut out the rocking though until you figure out how that jives in your new place of employment.
    Or am I overthinking it?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

First day fine....walking into the interview, hum maybe not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

Depends on where it is but usually you have forms and crap, orientation etc so it should be fine but some people might think it a bit too relaxed. Really depends on what the place is like and that is hard to gauge beforehand. If it is in anyway media/creative, not customer facing stuff, should be fine. Though maybe they have a scheduled coffee break in the morning and now you already had one...

But I'd say it's no biggie. If it's not gonna fly they can tell you and you'll know, it's your first day. They'll hardly fire you the first minute of your first shift for bringing a coffee. Being 'no good until I've had my coffee' is the in thing nowadays anyway. Though based on what coffee does to me in the morning, I'd have it much earlier or later than when I'm due to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

If it's one of those paper cup things, no

Grand if it's one of these

http://i.imgur.com/egbADAj.jpg

and it's strong enough to need a fork to consume it or if you share it with one of your new workmates they start to look like their having a stroke

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 LeTickler

I got 20 on she backs out !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

No because people carrying around coffee cuts are invariably tossers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I'd bring in a donor kebab.

Clearly someone who would bring in and eat one on a workday morning shows they mean business and aren't to be trifled with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

No I wouldn't do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

You'll look lazy and disinterested.
    "Ya, I could be enthusiastic, engaging and energetic about my first day on my brand new job, but I'll just mope around here, shlurping on this overpriced bucket of muck, cos that's how I roll"

Employee of the Month award awaits.
    Or more likely your P45.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Make your own decisions, it's part of becoming an adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I'd bring the coffee. It says "Im an urban sophisticate, an aficionado of the bean, Im all over this bitch right here"

I've never seen anyone do this, it's not a no no but not the done thing.
    I can't think of any reason why it would be necessary tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

What's the job?

If it's in an office then no one will even notice, most people have a coffee in their hand in the morning. If it's a customer facing job or involves manual labour then I wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No, there's no good reason why you wouldn't. The only thing a coffee will tell your new employer is that you feel relaxed and at ease with the situation.

But as others say, you will probably be offered a coffee when you arrive. And you'l spend about half a day wandering around talking to people and filling out forms, meaning you're carrying a coffee cup around with you until you happen to spot a bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

No you must overthink everything
    You are a subordinate and must do what someone else wants you to do
    Its a job and that means you should be eternally grateful and grovel to each and every whim and nuance on bended knees.

You perhaps think this a cool thing to do , maybe seen busy looking people walking around with cups looking important.They arent , they are tossers , i seen this fad coming 25 years ago in California , you will just look like a tool.

You maybe are addicted to coffee or enjoy a morning brew as i do myself , just finish it before you get there , in the house preferably.

Stop buying milky overpriced coffee in a paper cup!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Is it a job in a Cafe?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Personally, I would get up a bit earlier and have a quick breakfast at home or when picking up something on the way, have it finished before getting there.
    That way you're fully covered! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭worded

If it's a coffee shop job don't walk in with a competitors braded coffee cup in your hand.

I had a dream a few hours ago it was day one of my working on a farm. We had to pick potatoes I heard from a stragler colleague walking on the land towards a shed.

I was asked was I "good Craic to work with" at the interview, a good charactistic for farm work perhaps.

I walked late into a shed where there were a number of potatoes sizes and shapes on the shelves. The speaker said ..... And that's it then. Arse I was late for the indcction!

Everyone then ploughed into hang sang guiches.

Even they have out coffee OP

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

is this a real thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

You're overthinking it. And over-drinking it. Just like most other people.

Why does everybody think that they need coffee?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Lombardo86 wrote: »
    is this a real thread?

Ask me again once I've had my first coffee.

OP, it is permissible to arrive with coffee, provided it is one of those two mugs:

https://img1.etsystatic.com/047/0/6639451/il_570xN.669122437_rjpq.jpg

http://www.incrediblethings.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/UNT-mug.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭tmh106

Lombardo86 wrote: »
    is this a real thread?

You're overthinking the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I wouldn't do it, but wouldn't care much at all if somebody else did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

If you brought coffee for everyone that would be a good way to start your first day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭newport2

First day in a new job I'd be outside an hour early, removing all chances of delays etc making me late. Then I'd go for a coffee down the road where I've plenty of time to drink it and arrive in 10 minutes early without a coffee.

Advertisement