Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going into your first day with coffee

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

It seems casual to turn up clutching a cup of coffee. If I was the employer, I'd probably wonder why this person could not organise finishing their breakfast first and going to work after. What next, sauntering in still chomping on a slice of toast or applying make up?

In one of the offices I work in, loads of people eat breakfast in the kitchen, and at least half the female staff put on their makeup when they get in :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I'd bring in a donor kebab.

Clearly someone who would bring in and eat one on a workday morning shows they mean business and aren't to be trifled with.

Does it have to be donor? Sorry to sound like an amateur but I was wondering if any kebab will do?

I'd say it depends. If they walk in with a coffee and a danish or breakfast roll 20 minutes late you have a point, but if they arrive 20 minutes early, who cares if they bring a coffee? If they are meant to start at 08:00 and they are at their desk, ready to jump in, does their choice of breakfast routine matter to you? Would you be interested how they get up and get to work perhaps?
    Next you'll complain about them not wearing "suitable business attire".
    I thank my lucky stars I work in an office where you could arrive one day in a suit and one day in drag and the suit would get more comments made about it.
    I am just lucky to work in a 21st century company that values people not on their choice of beverage or attire, but you know, their work.
    But of course having conformity along with school uniforms drummed into their heads, most people have trouble with that concept. They would rather hire someone in a Dunnes Polyester suit that follows orders without question, rather than someone with actual talent, intelligence and ability. Some companies would do well to drag themselves away from Ebenezer Scrooge's Dickensian work ethic and into even the 20th century.

In my line of work, you have to wear a suit, shirt and tie. It's simply a mark of respect for the client. Nothing to do with Dunnes Stores suits (though I do like the snobbery shining through in that one) or, bizarrely, linking intelligence and ability to not wearing a suit...they are kinda unrelated.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Canterelle

Anyway op, if you're down to wondering about coffee cup or not you must have everything else sorted. Or have you.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

Congratulations on the new job btw !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Where did you get the "probably not employment material line"? Or what is the relevance about it being a female?

No relevance. Would you have asked about it if I had made the person male?

Anyway I was just extending the logic of your point to its extreme conclusion, whereby this fictional employer who is fictionally judging a fictional employee for drinking a fictional coffee.

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

bring a snackbox and a 2 litre coke

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

In my line of work, you have to wear a suit, shirt and tie. It's simply a mark of respect for the client. Nothing to do with Dunnes Stores suits (though I do like the snobbery shining through in that one) or, bizarrely, linking intelligence and ability to not wearing a suit...they are kinda unrelated.

A suit is a sign of...a suit. Nothing else. A tie signifies that the wearer or his employer wants to take a random piece of fabric and knot it around his neck, to signify, errm, I don't know, a piece of fabric wound round one's neck.
    If I go somewhere I am dazzled by professionalism and knowledge.
    Also, let's look at who runs the country and the banks and who ran us into the ground, all decked out in the most expensive and dazzling suits one could possibly imagine. Hence a suit signifies to me staid, old fashioned, stuck in a rut at best and at worst shark, sharp trader, too bling, too flashy, untrustworthy mentally counting his bonus as he shakes my hand.
    Richard Branson used to carry a scissors around with him that he used to cut people's ties off. If he can an empire that survives without ties, I trust your line of work is an undertaker.
    Someone should wear a suit and tie because he (it is a male thing) wants to.
    http://www.virgin.com/richard-branson/why-it%E2%80%99s-time-to-say-bye-to-the-tie
    If I went into my bank, I wouldn't even mind if the guy behind the counter had a nosering and tattoos. There are standards, people shouldn't wear rags, they should be clean (I mean washed that day), no shirts that say Fcuk You (for example), but in the end it's the result that counts.
    Also. Accusing me of snobbery? I have to seek medical help from laughing.
    And: I am not linking not wearing a suit to ability. BUT: A lot of people seem to link the suit to ability. Once you wear it, that's all you are. A suit. People don't talk to you, they talk to the suit. The person is no longer important. So my gripe is that people are dazzled by suits and they will buy any busslh*t issuing forth from same.
    It's kinda the reason this country is in a mess.

edit:
    Richard is still at it with his pair of scissors:
    http://www.virgin.com/richard-branson/why-am-i-wearing-a-tie-something-fishy-must-be-going-on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Melisandre121

OP here, I was feeling doubtful so I left the coffee out!

But I have to say, the amount of judgement on here for people that drink coffee in the morning is astounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,545 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It seems casual to turn up clutching a cup of coffee. If I was the employer, I'd probably wonder why this person could not organise finishing their breakfast first and going to work after.
    What do you mean, "finish their breakfast"?

Are you only allowed have coffee at breakfast?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

A suit is a sign of...a suit. Nothing else. A tie signifies that the wearer or his employer wants to take a random piece of fabric and knot it around his neck, to signify, errm, I don't know, a piece of fabric wound round one's neck.
    Also, let's look at who runs the country and the banks and who ran us into the ground, all decked out in the most expensive and dazzling suits one could possibly imagine. Hence a suit signifies to me staid, old fashioned, stuck in a rut at best and at worst shark, sharp trader, too bling, too flashy, untrustworthy mentally counting his bonus as he shakes my hand.
    Richard Branson used to carry a scissors around with him that he used to cut people's ties off. If he can an empire that survives without ties, I trust your line of work is an undertaker.
    http://www.virgin.com/richard-branson/why-it%E2%80%99s-time-to-say-bye-to-the-tie
    If I went into my bank, I wouldn't even mind if the guy behind the counter had a nosering and tattoos. There are standards, people shouldn't wear rags, they should be clean (I mean washed that day), no shirts that say Fcuk You (for example), but in the end it's the result that counts.
    And: I am not linking not wearing a suit to ability. BUT: A lot of people seem to link the suit to ability. Once you wear it, that's all you are. A suit. People don't talk to you, they talk to the suit. The person is no longer important. So my gripe is that people are dazzled by suits and they will buy any busslh*t issuing forth from same.

edit:
    http://www.virgin.com/richard-branson/why-am-i-wearing-a-tie-something-fishy-must-be-going-on

clucking Bell!!! what happened to you? did louis copeland steal your bird or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Agricola wrote: »
    I'd bring the coffee. It says "Im an urban sophisticate, an aficionado of the bean, Im all over this bitch right here"

Do you mean a lesbian - cos they rock:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I'd imagine that most employers will offer at the very least a Nespresso machine for their employees. It's a very small price to pay for keeping your employees happy and 'caffeinated'.

You sir are describing my job to a tee - well if be Nespresso you mean nescafe and if by machine you mean kettle. They also provide spoons, tea bags and milk - sweeeet!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

God, it would depress me to have the type of job where I would have to worry about bringing a cup of coffee into the office.

OP here, I was feeling doubtful so I left the coffee out!

But I have to say, the amount of judgement on here for people that drink coffee in the morning is astounding.

These are the companies that look at your clothes, your hair, your makeup, if you drink coffee, how you drink coffee, or tea, how you sit, stand, walk, talk, eat, they might say "Oh, he/she sounded a bit unsure when I asked them a question, I don't know can they hack it", in short, you will be judged on a million little criteria all the time and soon enough there will be a little whisper campaign against people who don't quite "cut it". It's a culture of fear, undermining, setting traps and playing people against each other. Your actual work is of little or no importance. Only if you wear the right attire, look "appropriate", say the right things at the right time and "fit into the culture". You know, a continuation of the "popular" clique at school. Usually those are the companies who will look down their nostrils at you and say "we run a professional company here! (and you don't fit in!)"
    Companies like that are often run by people who have watched too much of The Apprentice and/or have been hastily promoted up the ranks despite gross incompetence (got in by pull) and who think this is how cooperate culture is supposed to work, instead of being truly professional, i.e. a trusting, friendly, inclusive environment.
    Trust me, I've been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Good call OP leaving the coffee out of the office on your first day.

First impressions count. You need to be ready to work (or get shown around, etc) not doss around with a cup of coffee.

Is it your first job? Congrats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

Good call OP leaving the coffee out of the office on your first day.

First impressions count. You need to be ready to work (or get shown around, etc) not doss around with a cup of coffee.

Is it your first job? Congrats!

says you with a username like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

These are the companies that look at your clothes, your hair, your makeup, if you drink coffee, how you drink coffee, or tea, how you sit, stand, walk, talk, eat, they might say "Oh, he/she sounded a bit unsure when I asked them a question, I don't know can they hack it", in short, you will be judged on a million little criteria all the time and soon enough there will be a little whisper campaign against people who don't quite "cut it". It's a culture of fear, undermining, setting traps and playing people against each other. Your actual work is of little or no importance. Only if you wear the right attire, look "appropriate", say the right things at the right time and "fit into the culture". You know, a continuation of the "popular" clique at school. Usually those are the companies who will look down their nostrils at you and say "we run a professional company here! (and you don't fit in!)"
    Companies like that are often run by people who have watched too much of The Apprentice and/or have been hastily promoted up the ranks despite gross incompetence (got in by pull) and who think this is how cooperate culture is supposed to work, instead of being truly professional, i.e. a trusting, friendly, inclusive environment.

Saw?

Robsweezie wrote: »
    Saw?

Hhmhh, good point. Could have been.

• Advertisement

edit:

I work in law, not undertaking, not banking.

For all his talk, I bet Branson's solicitors wear ties, and I bet he doesn't dare cut any of them. And I suspect your Solicitor does too. It's simply showing respect for the client, the Courts, colleagues etc.

As for snobbery, you made the sneering comment about Dunnes Stores suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭HiGlo

It's always entertaining when a topic grows legs and becomes something totally different.... hahaha :pac: :D

It's not about drinking coffee or even about drinking coffee at work....
    It's about walking in on your first day in a new job with coffee in hand.

I work in law, not undertaking, not banking.

For all his talk, I bet Branson's solicitors wear ties, and I bet he doesn't dare cut any of them. And I suspect your Solicitor does too. It's simply showing respect for the client, the Courts, colleagues etc.

As for snobbery, you made the sneering comment about Dunnes Stores suits.

OK, I am going way beyond the thread, but it's kinda run it's course and maybe we need a separate"Suit and Tie" thread, but what the hey.
    Law would explain it, very traditional profession. I should have added it to undertaking or banking as usual suspects for suits. Again, the result counts, not the random piece of fabric that people for some unfathomable reason like to wind around their neck.
    Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with suits. Even I like a nice suit. It's societies blindness to the wearer, the thinking "he is not professional, he's not wearing a tie" and the absolute belief in a flashy (or even Dunnes amongst the more gullible) suit. The fact that we blindly believe everything we are being told, because that very nice and very professional man in the suit told us so. Just sign on the dotted line.
    It's hard to describe, but in Germany we get taught about 2 important stories, Der Hauptmann von Köpenick and The Emporer's new Clothes. Both of these have the same, important point to make, a point that would scream a Mach 7.5 over most people's heads in this country, because you haven't had people in suits or uniforms sell you down the swanny and you where too blind to see it, oh wait. :pac:
    My generation was taught over and over again "don't trust that person, just because he/she has a suit, a high office, wears a uniform, look very closely and again, trust no one". My parents generation have very good reasons for doing so.
    Re the Dunnes suit, I was referring to the fact that you could wear designer gear worth hundreds (not that I do) and you would be "inappropriately dressed", but stick on a €50 Dunnes suit corpses would refuse to be buried in and everything is AOK.
    Working in law, I presume that is not quite the case, this is more the reserve of the average office drone or bouncers. I assume in a law firm there are certain standards regarding your attire and a polyester monstrosity is certainly going to be frowned upon. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Do I bring in my own salad or leaf it? Should I wear that new River Island scarf in or will they think I have notions. Should I bring in pepper or will they have pepper in there? Will I bring in a rubber or is a sign of insecurity and an admission of failure. Will I bring my own cup or will I come across as being possessive.Will I bring pokemon cards for lunch or is that not OK? Will there be enough chargers in work? Will there be enough sockets? Should I bring in my own bog roll in cause of emergencies or will they think I'm going to be **** at my job.

All things to consider when starting off.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

HiGlo wrote: »
    It's about walking in on your first day in a new job with coffee in hand.
    I still don't think it matters even a little bit.

'Oh my god, he walked in for his first day, you should have seen him.'

'Why, what was it? Hungover or something?'

'No, nothing like that.

'What then? Dressed in jeans a tshirt?

No, he had a coffee in his hand. A coffee! Can you believe it?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

OP, you need to walk with a half eaten breakfast roll in one hand and a Lucozade in the other. When being introduced to people announce "The good times are back now that I'm around!" Spend the afternoon browsing boards and go home feeling like a hero.

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

i usually turn up on the first day with 6 cans of red bull

it looks good to prospective imployers

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Detached Retina

On your first day, you may be going into induction for the day so will likely be plied with coffee..(if unlucky that lukewarm flask coffee) so either drink on the way (so you're not walking around with an empty cup for hours too polite to ask where to dump it) & there's also a good chance you may end up totally tweaked :pac:
    Our office is a fairly casual dress, visible tattoo'd, coffee drinking bunch with access to good free (and paid barista) coffee (but too old to be hipsters, more old hippies mostly :D) so no one would bat an eyelid at walking in with one mind. (I actually was in a rush to my interview there 8 years ago and forgot to take out my piercings, they were never mentioned and still got the job based on my CV and some bonkers anecdote I told them.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 422 ✭✭LeeLooLee

I think you must have worked at the same place as me! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

I can't believe that this thread has run to six pages.

I also can't believe that the OP has received any response other than 'It's up to you OP, it's just a cup of coffee. No big deal.'

Do people really analyse this kind of stuff so intently?
    I also don't understand the coffee hate. I don't tend to walk around with takeaway coffees but so what if someone else does?

There seems to be some sort of perception in Ireland that drinking coffee makes you a hipster/a coffee snob/a slave to caffeine and I'm not sure why.

Advertisement