Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ALDI SUPER 6 - Now starts Thursdays UPDATED

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Tried that, tried Bisto and Oxo, lots of stirring, still cant get it to thicken up, adding any more of either would make it taste of nothing but Oxo and granules, Ill give the corn starch a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

For nice, thick stew, dust the pieces of meat in flour or cornflour before placing in the slowcooker. add some wine or stock (or Guinness) but not very much - the liquid does not evaporate to the same extent as on the hob, so if you end up with too much liquid, then you have put too much in. The meat and veggies let out liquid, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

unkel wrote: »
    Warning! Cross post!!! :p

Lidl do family size packs of stewing beef 600g for €4 at the moment which is a pretty decent price. Two packs and some potato + vegs and a can of Guinness and you have a large wintery stew for not much more than €1 per head

For the Hipsters amongst us(Ye know who ye are!) use a craft stout(O'Hara's or O'Shea's?) instead of the Guinness and put the lot into a clay or terracotta pot and bung it in the oven to make a hipster casserole:)

For the slow cooker I would use the aldi beef casserole mix @47cent, two packets for a large pot of stew, mix it with some of the fluids from the stew and take off any excess fluid if there is too much before adding the casserole mix. Does a good job of thickening and darkening the stew.

Got a nice reminder of Christmas in the post just now from a fellow boardsie, thanks vic:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

foggy_lad wrote: »
    For the Hipsters amongst us(Ye know who ye are!) use a craft stout(O'Hara's or O'Shea's?) instead of the Guinness and put the lot into a clay or terracotta pot and bung it in the oven to make a hipster casserole:)

For the slow cooker I would use the aldi beef casserole mix @47cent, two packets for a large pot of stew, mix it with some of the fluids from the stew and take off any excess fluid if there is too much before adding the casserole mix. Does a good job of thickening and darkening the stew.

Got a nice reminder of Christmas in the post just now from a fellow boardsie, thanks vic:D

Started reading your post and thought you were talking about me being a hipster, then I read the end of your post and realised it wasn't me at all !! Hipster Casserole :D Love it !

Your welcome BTW !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭Nollog

Thargor wrote: »
    Got a recipe? Ive tried in the past with my slow cooker but its always bland salty water and tasteless meat. How do you get thick gravy-like stew from a slow cooker? I could google it but all the recipes seem to be more American than Irish, Im looking for proper brown, thick stew like Mammy used to make :D

If at the end it's too runny:
    mix 2/3 teaspoons of cornflour with cold water until it makes a sort of paste, then stir it into the stew.
    Leave it simmer for about 5 minutes.

-GF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,800 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Diziet wrote: »
    For nice, thick stew, dust the pieces of meat in flour or cornflour before placing in the slowcooker. add some wine or stock (or Guinness) but not very much - the liquid does not evaporate to the same extent as on the hob, so if you end up with too much liquid, then you have put too much in. The meat and veggies let out liquid, too.

+1

I usually give the stew a boost too particularly when making it with red wine - a couple of leaves of bay (straight from garden), some Lea & Perrins, a wee bit of balsamic vinegar, a lot of tomato puree (darkens it and thickens it), some herbs of choice, some crushed garlic, pepper, salt, beef stock cube if you want. Stews also must have carrot + onion + celery in them imho to give them an extra boost of flavour!

I'm starving now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I think all mammies added oxtail soup!

I prefer a traditional Irish, with only carrots and onions, no flour, I use a stock pot and bones from the butchers, cook for a whole day, add floury potatoes to thicken it and let it rest for a second day. Eat on the third day, and fourth!

Some interesting alternatives though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

lazeedaisy wrote: »

I prefer a traditional Irish, with only carrots and onions, no flour, I use a stock pot and bones from the butchers, cook for a whole day, add floury potatoes to thicken it and let it rest for a second day. Eat on the third day, and fourth!

Ah my MA used to use mutton neck pieces with the bones to the Irish stew and pack of chicken soup to about 3pints of fluid with carrots leek frozen peas potatoes and sausages if there was any in the fridge. Real finger food:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

My mother used to make up a paste of white flour and Erin oxtail soup (from the packet) with cold water and add it to the stew to thicken it. I think it was a tablespoon of each in a cup of water.

Hey guys, checked everywhere but can't find the super 6 fruit & veg starting tomorrow. Just mentally doing my shopping list. The freezer is full of peeled bananas for smoothies! Any ideas? Have checked Facebook and the magazine to no avail

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Ah my MA used to use mutton neck pieces with the bones to the Irish stew and pack of chicken soup to about 3pints of fluid with carrots leek frozen peas potatoes and sausages if there was any in the fridge. Real finger food:D

Aww since I moved from Dublin to experience rural living, I miss my coddle. Himself refuses to talk about it, let alone eat it! Gives him the heebie jeebies about army food and raw sausages floating in dirty water!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

Hey guys, checked everywhere but can't find the super 6 fruit & veg starting tomorrow. Just mentally doing my shopping list. The freezer is full of peeled bananas for smoothies! Any ideas? Have checked Facebook and the magazine to no avail

Posted last week

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96911083&postcount=1009

Super 6 Fruit and Veg offers.

Thursday 10 September until Wednesday 16 September

All 49c

Leeks 500g Save €1
    Carrot & Parsnip 500g Save 50c
    Tomatoes 6pk Save 50c
    Courgettes 2pk Save 80c
    Salad Potatoes 1kg Save 50c
    Peaches 500g Save 50c

Guilty as charged, remember it now,

Funny how I always remember in the end! D'oh

Guilty as charged, remember it now,

Funny how I always remember in the end! D'oh

Easy to do considering the thread slipped into the cooking and recipes forum :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Jakel

Super 6 Meat and Fish
    Thursday September 17th until Wednesday 30th

€6
    Round Roast 1.16kg save €4
    Striploin steaks 376g save €1
    Mini lamb joint 470g save €1

€3
    Pork loin chops 650g
    Spatchcock chicken 1kg save €1.29
    Hake family pack 450g

Super 6 Fruit and Veg

Thursday 17th September to Wednesday 30th

All 49c
    Cherry Tomatoes 250g save 30c
    Scallions save 30c
    Plums 500g save 50c
    Broccoli 500g save 60c
    Cabbage save 50c
    Red apples 8 pack save €1

• Registered Users Posts: 18 MadZoo

Thought some-Body may have gotten a glimpse of this week's by Today? :-/

Super 6 Fruit & Veg
    Thursday 1 October until Wednesday 14 October

All 59c

Mixed Pepper bag 500g save 80c
    Large Onions 3 pack save 40c
    Carrots 1kg save 40c
    Turnip save 26c
    Red Globe grapes 500g save €1.40
    Orange tray 3 pack save 80c

Super 6 Meat and Fish
    Thursday October 1st until Wednesday 14th

All €2

Beef burgers with cheese melt 332g save 79c
    Irish beef mince 454g save 79c
    Chicken thighs and drumsticks 1kg save 79c
    Specially selected hand tied sausages 492g
    Specially selected pork fillet medallions 300g save 49c
    Fresh seafood mix/ seafood fillet selection 250g save 79c

Jakel wrote: »
    Super 6 Meat and Fish

All €2

All great thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Dammit, I am doing the shopping tomorrow. Tempted to put it off until the weekend now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Mixed Pepper bag 500g
    This is shipped all the way from drought-ravished California!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

snubbleste wrote: »
    Mixed Pepper bag 500g

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

wonski wrote: »
    :confused:

I think he meant Californ-i-eh

• Registered Users Posts: 27,937 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

snubbleste wrote: »
    Mixed Pepper bag 500g

Once upon a time its ancestors must have been as the *variety* is California.
    Country of origin is Holland though, according to the label on my pack.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Once upon a time its ancestors must have been as the *variety* is California.
    Country of origin is Holland though, according to the label on my pack.

:D same here

Jakel wrote: »
    Super 6 Meat and Fish

All €2

The pork fillet medallions with the packet of sauce are some of the nicest meat I ever cooked, going to buy 5 of them tomorrow for the freezer, absolute restaurant quality food...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

whelan2 wrote: »
    anytime i went to aldi in drogheda there was no pomelloes left
    leck wrote: »
    I enjoyed the pomelo too. I bought two, it took me about half an hour to prepare the first one between peeling it and then cutting all the membranes away from the flesh. I like that it's rather dry, so you can easily eat it out of your hand without getting juice everywhere. That first pomelo lasted me 3-4 days. I have the second one out to be tackled tomorrow morning.
    [/URL]

Quick heads up that this pomelo yoke is back in Aldi (plenty in Aldi Drogheda opposite HomeBase), and yep.. still delicious!!

Super 6 Fruit & Veg
    Thursday October 15th until the 28th

All 49c
    Pineapple save 80c
    Red Apples 10 pack save 90c
    Leeks 500g save €1
    Parsnips 500g save 50c
    Salad Potatoes 1kg save 50c
    Cucumber save 20c

• Advertisement