Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭deisedude

SkipFC wrote: »
    Have the footballers any chance tomorrow?

I know Offaly won Division 3 but we couldn't have asked for a much better draw at the same time. Going on form it still all points to an Offaly win though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

I'd settle for them keeping 15 men on the field for the whole game.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,791 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

deisedude wrote: »
    I know Offaly won Division 3 but we couldn't have asked for a much better draw at the same time. Going on form it still all points to an Offaly win though

whoever wins will not fear anyone in round 2a

Kildare or Dublin
    Monaghan or Fermanagh
    Clare
    Sligo or Roscommon

If its a case Dublin lose to Kildare and we draw them than we have no hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Just wondering if you are keeping an eye out on this forum, you made the odd cameo last season...........have you as much optimism for this season and future as the rest of us here, would be interested to hear your views.......can Austin Gleeson raise to the heights of Ken McGrath etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

You can't keep everyone happy - if there are selfish individuals who can't buy into the squad/team ethos in a year that we beat Cork by 10 points then what can you do?
    99% of people at the game would say the best 15 available on the day were played, so I wouldn't be overly bothered.
    If a guy wants to go to the states, leave him off... He would be after leaving the panel for an hour and he is forgotten about... That's Hurling for ya!
    Look at all the fellas Derek dropped last year - they don't come up much these days do they?
    Well we're lucky you're not in charge with that attitude! What a load of s**te. So because things are going well at the moment its a case of like it or lump it? And if the wheels come off what then? To whom do we turn if injuries/loss of form occur? So you reckon Colm Galvin was forgotten about an hr after he left for Boston?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭TyrionPower

archieknox wrote: »
    Well we're lucky you're not in charge with that attitude! What a load of s**te. So because things are going well at the moment its a case of like it or lump it? And if the wheels come off what then? To whom do we turn if injuries/loss of form occur? So you reckon Colm Galvin was forgotten about an hr after he left for Boston?

Ya of course Colm Galvin was forgotten, what else could they do but forget him? He wasn't much good to him playing against Limerick was he?
    When things go wrong you can always turn to the guys that had good attitudes and didn't act like overgrown babies when they weren't selected (I.e. The lads that deserve it)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Going off on a tangent here, and I'm leaving myself open to the charge of being patronising, but am I the only one who thinks the world of Ian O'Regan? Now there's a man who loves his kownty.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Ya of course Colm Galvin was forgotten, what else could they do but forget him? He wasn't much good to him playing against Limerick was he?
    When things go wrong you can always turn to the guys that had good attitudes and didn't act like overgrown babies when they weren't selected (I.e. The lads that deserve it)

I think it's very hard to blame a player who is on the periphery of things for leaving. Take Donie Breathnach as an example. He was generally in the 26 every time. Didn't start a league game, saw no action at the business end of the league even as a sub and then saw Shane Bennett come back in ahead of him and Patrick Curran join and go ahead of him.
    That must be a bit disheartening for a player and when an opportunity arises to go to the States for the summer, and be well looked after, I think it's very hard to blame someone for going. Such opportunities are rare in life. I wouldn't say for one second that he acted like "an overgrown baby".
    The lads on the panel give up so much to be there. I wouldn't blame any one on the edge of the 26 or on the extended panel for taking such an opportunity if it arose for them.
    The fact things are going well at senior and u21 may keep them around, hopefully, as they could well be needed during the year. Injuries are bound to occur and players not getting chances currently could find themselves in the thick of some big championship games yet.

No point in even debating anymore on this we'll agree to disagree I think!

DiscoStew wrote: »
    I think it's very hard to blame a player who is on the periphery of things for leaving. Take Donie Breathnach as an example. He was generally in the 26 every time. Didn't start a league game, saw no action at the business end of the league even as a sub and then saw Shane Bennett come back in ahead of him and Patrick Curran join and go ahead of him.
    That must be a bit disheartening for a player and when an opportunity arises to go to the States for the summer, and be well looked after, I think it's very hard to blame someone for going. Such opportunities are rare in life. I wouldn't say for one second that he acted like "an overgrown baby".
    The lads on the panel give up so much to be there. I wouldn't blame any one on the edge of the 26 or on the extended panel for taking such an opportunity if it arose for them.
    The fact things are going well at senior and u21 may keep them around, hopefully, as they could well be needed during the year. Injuries are bound to occur and players not getting chances currently could find themselves in the thick of some big championship games yet.

What can the manager do? He can't play everyone and players who he feels are better have emerged.
    Breatnach is 22, I would love to see him in the squad and wait for his chance but good luck to him. By the way I didn't call him an overgrown baby.
    Now someone complaining a few days after we Beat cork for the first time ever in cork, by ten points, with a chance of a Munster and maybe an all Ireland title - now that is someone without the maturity to see the bigger picture - That to me sounds utterly ridiculous

• Advertisement

Absolutely correct. Excellent post.

What can the manager do? He can't play everyone and players who he feels are better have emerged.
    Breatnach is 22, I would love to see him in the squad and wait for his chance but good luck to him. By the way I didn't call him an overgrown baby.
    Now someone complaining a few days after we Beat cork for the first time ever in cork, by ten points, with a chance of a Munster and maybe an all Ireland title - now that is someone without the maturity to see the bigger picture - That to me sounds utterly ridiculous

But waiting around for your chance when players, who are of absolutely undoubted talent, join just as championship comes around and go ahead of you, can't be easy. I think Donie was realistic about his chances for the year. There is a training panel of what, 36 or so? Only 26 make the panel. In general the team hasn't changed much all year, the same subs tend to come on as they are making an impact. I don't find it hard to see how someone could be lured away by the promise of a summer in the states playing hurling with a job and the experience of a lifetime, along with flights and accommodation looked after a lot of the time. Given that many of this young squad are students it makes the need to make money in the summer all the more understandable.
    I would hope our recent success would convince them to stay also but some players will have different reasons for going, it may not be just about not making the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Alf Tupper

Look at all the fellas Derek dropped last year - they don't come up much these days do they?

What an ignorant and short-sighted statement to make. Those lads gave years of service to Waterford and they are not forgotten by any stretch of the imagination. Many people around the county still think they were treated badly compared to others on the panel.

For instance, were Sean Cullinane and Stephen Frampton forgotten in 2002, just because they were a year too late to win a Munster medal? Maybe they were by you, I don't know.

Winning will always paper over any tensions within the panel. It's when things start to go wrong that things fall apart.

For instance it is well known that one of the U21 and Senior team is drinking regularly, even on the Monday before the Cork championship game. It is well known to management too but is still getting his place.

One of the other U21 players didn't bother to go to a challenge last Saturday week because he was drinking but still played on Wednesday night. This must be very hard on other panel members to see this happening. But as I say this is the sort of thing that is forgotten when a team is winning.

Finally, it's brilliant that we are having a great year and congrats to both management teams and players.

But waiting around for your chance when players, who are of absolutely undoubted talent, join just as championship comes around and go ahead of you, can't be easy. I think Donie was realistic about his chances for the year. There is a training panel of what, 36 or so? Only 26 make the panel. In general the team hasn't changed much all year, the same subs tend to come on as they are making an impact. I don't find it hard to see how someone could be lured away by the promise of a summer in the states playing hurling with a job and the experience of a lifetime, along with flights and accommodation looked after a lot of the time. Given that many of this young squad are students it makes the need to make money in the summer all the more understandable.
    I would hope our recent success would convince them to stay also but some players will have different reasons for going, it may not be just about not making the team.

I wasn't talking about Donie Breatnach in the first place.
    If he was realistic about his chances - that there was better players then him on the panel/ team then I don't get where is the complaint.
    The county team isn't set in stone at the start of the year - adding Patrick curran and Shane Bennett is obviously the right thing to do - a manager can't keep everyone happy

Alf Tupper wrote: »
    What an ignorant and short-sighted statement to make. Those lads gave years of service to Waterford and they are not forgotten by any stretch of the imagination. Many people around the county still think they were treated badly compared to others on the panel.

For instance, were Sean Cullinane and Stephen Frampton forgotten in 2002, just because they were a year too late to win a Munster medal? Maybe they were by you, I don't know.

Winning will always paper over any tensions within the panel. It's when things start to go wrong that things fall apart.

For instance it is well known that one of the U21 and Senior team is drinking regularly, even on the Monday before the Cork championship game. It is well known to management too but is still getting his place.

One of the other U21 players didn't bother to go to a challenge last Saturday week because he was drinking but still played on Wednesday night. This must be very hard on other panel members to see this happening. But as I say this is the sort of thing that is forgotten when a team is winning.

Finally, it's brilliant that we are having a great year and congrats to both management teams and players.

But they are not coming up now, it's just a fact of life - no slight on them but it all just moves on... That is the way it has to be - when a fella is gone you have to forget about him. otherwise we would still be lamenting the loss of Paul Flynn and Ken McGrath.

Now if a player is drinking regularly and management are turning a blind eye that is a different situation and is totally wrong

I wasn't talking about Donie Breatnach in the first place.
    If he was realistic about his chances - that there was better players then him on the panel/ team then I don't get where is the complaint.
    The county team isn't set in stone at the start of the year - adding Patrick curran and Shane Bennett is obviously the right thing to do - a manager can't keep everyone happy

I'm using Donie as an example as thus far he is the only member I know of who has left the panel to play in the States for the summer.
    You mentioned that about a player complaining after beating Cork, or along those lines. Who's to say that any player is complaining? It could be that they are in a similar position to Donie, players have gotten ahead of them unexpectedly, doesn't look like they are going to get as much action as they thought they would during the year. Maybe they have no work and have the promise of work in America. Players get approached a fair bit this time of year, if things aren't going well for you in the county setup and you have an offer that will set you up for the year, I would find it completely understandable. I don't think anybody is throwing their toys out of the pram as such.

Maybe we'll just have to agree to disagree on this!

Passage are flying - they have some serious hurlers, I always thought Thomas Connors was pure quality - brilliant attitude

Passage are flying - they have some serious hurlers, I always thought Thomas Connors was pure quality - brilliant attitude

Pity he was cleaned out by Ray Barry tonight though! Passage will have a big say in this championship yet going on tonight. They were awesome. As for Lismore its intermediate by the looks of things they're in dire trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

I've read your previous posts from earlier and to be honest I am not surprised by your last post because you definitely have got no idea what your talking about with regards to players and to tonight's game. The only thing you got right was about your generalisation of Passage as a team. Yes they were outstanding but I'm sorry I have to agree with archieknox Thomas Connors was average at best and Ray Barry was head and shoulders the best player Lismore had. There is one player that hasn't been forgotten about like you implied earlier and if you had been watching him all year you wouldn't be making such idiotic statements. But just because you are on here under another pen name still doesn't disguise your true identity!

cul beag wrote: »
    I've read your previous posts from earlier and to be honest I am not surprised by your last post because you definitely have got no idea what your talking about with regards to players and to tonight's game. The only thing you got right was about your generalisation of Passage as a team. Yes they were outstanding but I'm sorry I have to agree with archieknox Thomas Connors was average at best and Ray Barry was head and shoulders the best player Lismore had. There is one player that hasn't been forgotten about like you implied earlier and if you had been watching him all year you wouldn't be making such idiotic statements. But just because you are on here under another pen name still doesn't disguise your true identity!

I have no idea what you are talking about - why are you bringing Ray Barry into it I have never said anything about him

• Advertisement

Pity he was cleaned out by Ray Barry tonight though! Passage will have a big say in this championship yet going on tonight. They were awesome. As for Lismore its intermediate by the looks of things they're in dire trouble.

Ya I wasn't at the game - just basing it on the game earlier in the year when he went crazy and scored about 2-5 from play..
    Do you really think Lismore could slip down I think they would have too much quality to go down, like they would have to lose all the group games and then lose to the bottom team of the other group - I just can't see it happening

To be fair, how can anyone in all fairness take you seriously after this!

You've admitted in another post that you were not even at the game. No offence to Thomas Connors but you are some idiot!

This, coupled with your bulls*it post earlier about lads leaving the panel shows you up for the idiot you are.

If you want to be taken seriously on here it's about time that you got a bottle of cop on you tool and stop trying to be a wannabe with the De La Salle school lads. It doesn't matter how much you want to be part of the Dunmore Road set, you will never be accepted!

Pitiful and pathetic!

Ya I wasn't at the game - just basing it on the game earlier in the year when he went crazy and scored about 2-5 from play..
    Do you really think Lismore could slip down I think they would have too much quality to go down, like they would have to lose all the group games and then lose to the bottom team of the other group - I just can't see it happening

Lismore are in dire straits make no bones about it. They got a lesson from Passage and to be honest I can't see them winning any group games that they've left against Roanmore and Mt.Sion. To single out any one Passage player would do the team an injustice as from 1 -15 their workrate and togetherness was terrific. The led by 2.03 to 0.0 after 4 mins and that tells its own story. Maurice was poor,completely over shadowed by Noel Connors whom followed him everywhere and literally cleaned him out. How sad to see the demise of Dan though,his best days are well and truly behind him. I thought it a bit childish when he shot for goal near the end of the game and when it blazed wide a huge roar went up from the Passage faithful. He deserves better than that. One thing that was very noticeable was the abuse the Lismore mentors were shouting at their own players. I sat not too far behind them and it was embarrassing to hear. They look a beaten docket and for certain things aren't good inside the camp going on what I saw/heard during the game. Passage will take beating have no doubt about it and they're gathering momentum as the championship goes on. Kelly mightn't have the pace but there's nothing wrong with his brain! He's still a handful and as all brilliant forwards do he's thinking two moves ahead of everyone else. Carey will do the spade work and thrives on the competitiveness of rucks and aerial battles.
    Having made one bad mistake in goal for Lismore Seánie Barry more than made up for it with 2 brilliant saves afterwards. His one from Kelly in the second half was phenomenal. I hope I'm not lambasted for my opinion but Lismore simply aren't good enough for senior at the moment. When Maurice Shanahan's influence was curbed they have nothing else up front. John Prendergast huffed and puffed at full forward but had no end product and the others around him simply aren't up to it. Ray Barry as I posted previously was a colossus at centre back and was literally trying to keep the passage onslaught out on his own. David Prendergast maybe on another night could have had 2 goals but it would only have put a gloss on a terrific Passage display. I suppose their cause was helped by Lismore not playing a sweeper in the first half when faced against the strong wind and an even stronger Passage outfit.
    Congrats to Peter Queally as he definitely is getting his side to row in behind his tactics and game plan.

To be fair, how can anyone in all fairness take you seriously after this!

You've admitted in another post that you were not even at the game. No offence to Thomas Connors but you are some idiot!

This, coupled with your bulls*it post earlier about lads leaving the panel shows you up for the idiot you are.

If you want to be taken seriously on here it's about time that you got a bottle of cop on you tool and stop trying to be a wannabe with the De La Salle school lads. It doesn't matter how much you want to be part of the Dunmore Road set, you will never be accepted!

Pitiful and pathetic!

Well I did actually go to school there so I was basing my view on that player after watching him play countless games down the years - regardless of last night.
    I would say it was probably hard for him to motivate himself seeing as they were 10 points up in less ten 10 minutes.
    I can only presume the junior cert didn't go your way - have you considered repeating?

Lismore are in dire straits make no bones about it. They got a lesson from Passage and to be honest I can't see them winning any group games that they've left against Roanmore and Mt.Sion. To single out any one Passage player would do the team an injustice as from 1 -15 their workrate and togetherness was terrific. The led by 2.03 to 0.0 after 4 mins and that tells its own story. Maurice was poor,completely over shadowed by Noel Connors whom followed him everywhere and literally cleaned him out. How sad to see the demise of Dan though,his best days are well and truly behind him. I thought it a bit childish when he shot for goal near the end of the game and when it blazed wide a huge roar went up from the Passage faithful. He deserves better than that. One thing that was very noticeable was the abuse the Lismore mentors were shouting at their own players. I sat not too far behind them and it was embarrassing to hear. They look a beaten docket and for certain things aren't good inside the camp going on what I saw/heard during the game. Passage will take beating have no doubt about it and they're gathering momentum as the championship goes on. Kelly mightn't have the pace but there's nothing wrong with his brain! He's still a handful and as all brilliant forwards do he's thinking two moves ahead of everyone else. Carey will do the spade work and thrives on the competitiveness of rucks and aerial battles.
    Having made one bad mistake in goal for Lismore Seánie Barry more than made up for it with 2 brilliant saves afterwards. His one from Kelly in the second half was phenomenal. I hope I'm not lambasted for my opinion but Lismore simply aren't good enough for senior at the moment. When Maurice Shanahan's influence was curbed they have nothing else up front. John Prendergast huffed and puffed at full forward but had no end product and the others around him simply aren't up to it. Ray Barry as I posted previously was a colossus at centre back and was literally trying to keep the passage onslaught out on his own. David Prendergast maybe on another night could have had 2 goals but it would only have put a gloss on a terrific Passage display. I suppose their cause was helped by Lismore not playing a sweeper in the first half when faced against the strong wind and an even stronger Passage outfit.
    Congrats to Peter Queally as he definitely is getting his side to row in behind his tactics and game plan.

I think you're bang on the money there Archie.

Delighted for Passage that they are doing so well and especially delighted for Peter Queally. He has taken a lot of stick.

I travelled up to Ballyduff to see the Cappoquin V Lismore game and was shocked to see how bad Lismore were. The mentors on the line didn't seem to have any idea about what type of game they wanted their players to play. After Maurice was injured and had to go off they fell apart. They had a full back line in the second half with none of the lads higher than 5ft 5in and were taken to the cleaners. Their only two players on the night were John Prendergast and Ray Barry.

It looks like they are heading for relegation which is a pity, seeing as they are the longest reigning senior club in the county bar Mount Sion.

I'm not privy to what's going on there but they seem to be in dire straits.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Patrick Wheelock

Nobody forced either of them to retire / turn their back on the county team.

Both were 32 and continued to turn out for their clubs afterwards. Plenty lads have played on for longer.

As far as I remember Frampton retired because he was named as a sub in the South East tournament in early 2002 and didn't get a run out. Childish stuff.

I can only presume the junior cert didn't go your way - have you considered repeating?

Hey lad, when I went to De La Salle it was a real school with none of the insularity that is attached it now.

There were lads from Kerry, Wexford, South Kilkenny and a hell of a lot from west Waterford.

btw I didn't have to repeat the junior cert. It was the inter cert in our day, not a dumbed down version of it like the junior. Just ask Brother Timothy.

When you have harrowed what I have ploughed, come back to me.

When I was in Baghdad you were still in Dad's bag!

Nobody forced either of them to retire / turn their back on the county team.

Both were 32 and continued to turn out for their clubs afterwards. Plenty lads have played on for longer.

As far as I remember Frampton retired because he was named as a sub in the South East tournament in early 2002 and didn't get a run out. Childish stuff.

For anyone to call Fra childish doesn't know anything about the lad. You might want to ask Mullianhone's John Leahy about that.

There's no need for you to insult him in that manner. Stephen was a colossus for Waterford in the lean years.

He retired after he travelled up to Ennis with the team for a game against Clare and wasn't even given a jersey.

I think he took that as a message that he wasn't wanted.

Hey lad, when I went to De La Salle it was a real school with none of the insularity that is attached it now.

There were lads from Kerry, Wexford, South Kilkenny and a hell of a lot from west Waterford.

btw I didn't have to repeat the junior cert. It was the inter cert in our day, not a dumbed down version of it like the junior. Just ask Brother Timothy.

When you have harrowed what I have ploughed, come back to me.

When I was in Baghdad you were still in Dad's bag!

Congragulations it is from those Life lessons you have come all this way to abusing strangers from behind a keyboard at 5AM in the morning, as well as your old alma mater - you should be proud of yourself... did you ever stop to think, where is all this bitterness coming from?

have you considered conselling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Footballers 5 v 2 points down after 9 minutes. Bad start, especially at home.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement