Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! English HL 2015 - ALL things HL English, predictions, discussion etc.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ShaunaM18

nermal15 wrote: »
    Absolutely no need to summarise the story at any point, that's exactly what examiners don't want to read!

You make reference to the question in your opening paragraph and briefly mention the points you will discuss in your essay, you somewhat summarise the story throughout your essay to show the examiner you know what's going on but don't fall into the trap of losing focus on the question

• Registered Users Posts: 16 blue_velvet

Why do people think the role of women might come up for Othello?We never touched on that in class! I'm praying for Iago, Othello's downfall or jealousy

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭nermal15

ShaunaM18 wrote: »
    You make reference to the question in your opening paragraph and briefly mention the points you will discuss in your essay, you somewhat summarise the story throughout your essay to show the examiner you know what's going on but don't fall into the trap of losing focus on the question

Yes, make reference to the text throughout to back up your answer but don't simply summarise the plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭gracew

Lol im the only ****ed person here for poetry in only doing frost and ENC if you guys were in my situation what poet should i quick scan??

We've done plath, yeats and dickinson as the other ones i never revised!!

I'm only doing ní Chuilleanain and Montague, hoping for the best!maybe Dickinson or yeats seeing as he's an Irish poet

gracew wrote: »
    I'm only doing ní Chuilleanain and Montague, hoping for the best!maybe Dickinson or yeats seeing as he's an Irish poet

Why do people think Dickinson is gonna come up if she came up last year? Yous are making me worry ! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

Why do people think the role of women might come up for Othello?We never touched on that in class! I'm praying for Iago, Othello's downfall or jealousy

I don't know either! We haven't done it on class either. When I was studying for Othello for the mocks I thought myself it might be something that would come up. Now it seems everyone think it will - and I've no idea why. Maybe it's because of the small connection to the marriage referendum.

I think Imagery and Symbolism and maybe Good vs Evil or jealousy or Desdemona will come up. I'm covering Emilia, Desdemona, Gender, Jealousy, half covering Deception and Imagery. I don't think Deception will come up but studying it allows me to have an idea of other stuff and I can reuse my notes on it if Good vs Evil comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kat97

Hoping for Montague, Eilean or Yeats (my favourites). I'm quite worried about Othello though as I am not sure how to properly structure an answer for it?

Thought this song was very apt :P

ShaunaM18 wrote: »
    Why do people think Dickinson is gonna come up if she came up last year? Yous are making me worry ! :(

I honestly have no idea! I've just seen a lot of people studying her even though she came up last year I can't see her or Plath making an appearance tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Dianabluex

Didn't general vision and viewpoint come up last year ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

My head is wrecked checking here constantly and everything going through my head. I'm gonna log out and try clear my head somehow.
    Good luck for tomorrow everyone! I really hope it's a nice paper, we deserve it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 ancilla

For tomorrow I suggest you begin with Single study text, in our case OTHELLO - complete from 2.05 - 3.05, then the Comparative from 3.05 - 4.05, poetry then from 4.05 - 5.00 and finally, the unseen from 5.00 - 5.15. last 5 mins to go over things. First five mins scan paper carefully & make informed choices - GOOD LUCK!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Nedser96

To anyone asking will I be alright with 3 poets etc, here are your odds of getting a poet tomorrow based on how many you studied (assuming it's completely random)

1 Poet-50%
    2 Poets-78.6%
    3 Poets-92.9%
    4 Poets -98.6%

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

I have just noticed a fairly strange pattern...
    In the DEB and Examcraft 2013/2014 mocks they correctly had two or three poets
    Our mocks both companies used the same poets...
    Could this mean they'll trick us and give the other four tomorrow?? :eek:

Just to remind you they were Donne, ENC, Frost and Monty

Could it be Hardy, Plath, Dickinson and Yeats...

• Registered Users Posts: 9 andreideeu

I'm doing it aswell what have you covered for it? And I don't have that many quotes about ten in total!

The great gastby as single text...

my teacher said to learn the story plot , know the characters well enough

know about the jazz age+roaring 20s
    mention tom's racist book he was reading at the start
    mention the 3 main symbols = eckbergs glasses, the green light, + whatever one you want (parties, clothes, etc...)
    mention its relevance to our time

dont know any qoutes , watched both movies...

anything else to add to that ?

How many times has othello been on the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Cheerios

I honestly have no idea! I've just seen a lot of people studying her even though she came up last year I can't see her or Plath making an appearance tomorrow

Many people think ENC is too predictable. Plath already came up 3 years in a row so that's why people are studying Dickinson instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭xredmanlfcx

Nedser96 wrote: »
    To anyone asking will I be alright with 3 poets etc, here are your odds of getting a poet tomorrow based on how many you studied (assuming it's completely random)

1 Poet-50%
    2 Poets-78.6%
    3 Poets-92.9%
    4 Poets -98.6%

Hope this helps!

If you study 3 poets and 4 from 8 can come up dont think thats 92.9%. Where did you come up with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kat97

How many times has othello been on the course?

Not sure but last time was 2008 afaik !

An opening paragraph for a question on Theme or issue for Paper 2 Leaving Cert English higher level
    Yes indeed…. (address the question asked)Be they a writer, director or playwright, all storytellers wish to craft their particular story effectively. As stories unfold, we are presented with a theme which emerges as the central concern of a text and issues which encourage us to reflect on specific topics or ideas. Essentially themes are explored through the characters, action, plot and narration.Themes such as violence, loyalty,escape, relationships are some of the most common themes, however for the purposes of my Comparative study and in addressing the question, I wish to focus on the theme of isolation. All three texts which I have studied for the Comparative secrion of my English paper explore the theme of isolation to varying degrees and in vivid and insightful ways. The three texts which I have studied include the following: the haunting, Gothic novel ‘Wuthering Heights’ by Emily Bronte, set in the bleakness of the Yorkshire moors; American author F Scott Fitzgerald’s colourful novel ‘ The Great Gatsby’, set during the ‘roaring twenties’ and the 2010 British historical drama film ‘The King’s Speech’ directed by Tom Hooper a film based on the true story of King George VI, which follows the Royal Monarch's quest to find his voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Frigating

What exactly are people learning for the poetry? I'm only doing the themes for mine. Techniques are too hard, apart from Dickinson, and imagery I can wing. If Yeats, Montague or Dickinson don't come up I'll cry though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

If you study 3 poets and 4 from 8 can come up dont think thats 92.9%. Where did you come up with this?

It was discussed in the HL Maths thread here.

Cheerios wrote: »
    Many people think ENC is too predictable. Plath already came up 3 years in a row so that's why people are studying Dickinson instead.

So would studying Dickinson be a good idea? I'm thinking of just sticking to all Irish poets

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

How much do ye intend on writing? Does 5 pages for Othello & poetry & 6 for comparative seem reasonable??

I have just noticed a fairly strange pattern...
    In the DEB and Examcraft 2013/2014 mocks they correctly had two or three poets
    Our mocks both companies used the same poets...
    Could this mean they'll trick us and give the other four tomorrow?? :eek:

Just to remind you they were Donne, ENC, Frost and Monty

Could it be Hardy, Plath, Dickinson and Yeats...
    I doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Anyone able to tell me if its worth my time doing Hardy or should I just stick to Frost, Ní Chuilleanain and Yeats?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭xredmanlfcx

Nim wrote: »
    It was discussed in the HL Maths thread

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 shau_h

How many pages are people doing for the comparative?my teacher says 7 which is impossible

• Registered Users Posts: 21 antifun

shau_h wrote: »
    How many pages are people doing for the comparative?my teacher says 7 which is impossible

So would studying Dickinson be a good idea? I'm thinking of just sticking to all Irish poets

Othello- theme of jealousy and the role of women adding dramatic interest to the play.
    Comparative = Theme/ Issue and Lit Genre
    Poetry: Frost, Dickinson, Montague and Hardy.

That's our teachers's recommendations..... pretty accurate judge so far and spot on re: paper 1 - Hope myself for these also... GOOD LUCK!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Dianabluex

ancilla wrote: »
    Othello- theme of jealousy and the role of women adding dramatic interest to the play.
    Comparative = Theme/ Issue and Lit Genre
    Poetry: Frost, Dickinson, Montague and Hardy.

That's our teachers's recommendations..... pretty accurate judge so far and spot on re: paper 1 - Hope myself for these also... GOOD LUCK!

Is literally would be my perfect english paper two exam👌

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement