Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! English HL 2015 - ALL things HL English, predictions, discussion etc.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Pacman96

Anyone have a ready essay on frost and donne? Please

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

Have to admit im confused why does an irish poet HAVE to come up??

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Jason_H

Kremin wrote: »
    You need to backup almost everything you say in the english exam :p.

SDQ
    SDQ
    SDQ
    SDQ

Statement-Development-Quote.. only thing i ever heard in English.

The comparative doesn't need as much detail as the Single Text but it definitely still requires quotes.

OMG thats weird I always learnt it as PQE- Point, Quote, Explain :P suppose theres many ways to skin a cat, but yeah quotes are important

What my teacher says in comparative, since the examiner can't have read all the books its ok to make up small quotes, so long as its believable
    gracew wrote: »
    I honestly have no idea! I've just seen a lot of people studying her even though she came up last year I can't see her or Plath making an appearance tomorrow

A poet that has been on the year before comes up every year! There's been no year where it hasn't doubled, so we are almost gaurenteed one of Yeats Plath or Dickenson

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ShaunDaSheep

Jason_H wrote: »
    A poet that has been on the year before comes up every year! There's been no year where it hasn't doubled, so we are almost gaurenteed one of Yeats Plath or Dickenson

No they don't if you look that actually doesn't happen too often

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Keith18

Poet: frost , montague,Yeats
    One of them will surely b on .. I hope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 liahiggins

Lads tbh I havent studied anything for tomorrow yet. Was too tired earlier but now ive got alot of black coffee in me so how do yous think im set if I study Frost, Ni Chuill and Yeats? Only really picking the poets I like the most there bit do yous think any others are more likely to come up then these three?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Cheerios

So would studying Dickinson be a good idea? I'm thinking of just sticking to all Irish poets

If you have the time, I would say study Dickinson too.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

Study Montague too. With Yeats and Ni Chuillenain, at least one Irish poet has to come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Cheerios

For the single text (I'm doing Othello), do you think I should bother studying essays on 1. Iago and 2. Othello? Everyone seems to be banking on the role of women but we've never done that in class.

Also, should I learn an essay that mentions several themes or an essay that focuses on one theme?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 liahiggins

WatchWolf wrote: »
    Study Montague too. With Yeats and Ni Chuillenain, at least one Irish poet has to come up.

We havent covered Montague :/ What if I did Dickinson? I know she came up last year but doesnt a female always come up and Plath is unlikely to come up again isnt she? Its going to be a very long night indeed :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 brickeyvalley

I do predict Frost, Monatgue, Hardy an Ni Chuilleanain for you lads. Always two things must happen, A girl and an irishperson excluding the girl if she is in fact irish. Ni Chuilleanain, Plath, Yeats', Dickinson are on it next year they won't come up bar Ni Chuilleanain. It's a process of elimination and patterns. I think it won't be any individual in the single text but more so, Good vs Evil but if in the case Iago. Example Iagos cleverness rather than Othellos foolishness led to his downfall. For those of you banking on GVV it came up last year with Cultural Context, Theme or issue and Lit Genre. Not the end of the world, for Lit Genre it's about memorable characters and how they are shaped and explain techniques and similarities. Theme or Issue it's Violence. Not the hardest safe to crack. But however the thing that will shock and worry most is this. People are hired to submit questions and they are screened then selected at random. Technically anything can come up but the people who write them may put 10 or 20 Frosts with one Plath and vice versa. This is so the answers aren't leaked nobody officially sees what was question 4 if it was selected only a screener to see if they all printed right. And in my time of my leaving cert they didn't continue over it's just by chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ShaunDaSheep

I do predict Frost, Monatgue, Hardy an Ni Chuilleanain for you lads. Always two things must happen, A girl and an irishperson excluding the girl if she is in fact irish. Ni Chuilleanain, Plath, Yeats', Dickinson are on it next year they won't come up bar Ni Chuilleanain. It's a process of elimination and patterns. I think it won't be any individual in the single text but more so, Good vs Evil but if in the case Iago. Example Iagos cleverness rather than Othellos foolishness led to his downfall. For those of you banking on GVV it came up last year with Cultural Context, Theme or issue and Lit Genre. Not the end of the world, for Lit Genre it's about memorable characters and how they are shaped and explain techniques and similarities. Theme or Issue it's Violence. Not the hardest safe to crack. But however the thing that will shock and worry most is this. People are hired to submit questions and they are screened then selected at random. Technically anything can come up but the people who write them may put 10 or 20 Frosts with one Plath and vice versa. This is so the answers aren't leaked nobody officially sees what was question 4 if it was selected only a screener to see if they all printed right. And in my time of my leaving cert they didn't continue over it's just by chance.

Im screwed so, i have only 4 poets prepared and its all the ones you did not name woooo

• Registered Users Posts: 48 brickeyvalley

Teacherly advice -

Single Text - 60 marks - 3.5 pages - 4 pages - 5 minutes reading and choosing and do it for 65 minutes. They will expect a lot of quotes in the single text than comparative.

The Comparative Study - 70 marks - 4 pages - 70 minutes, less quotes more answering the question right. Theme or Issue and Lit Genre.

Unseen Poem - 20 marks - 1 page - 15 minutes, Think about the title of the poem how is it connected to the content/theme. Positive/ Negative words.

Prescribed Poetry. - 50 marks - 3.5 - 4 pages - 50 minutes

No more no less, 7 for the comp? I couldn't even do that. Nobody could. Well you could but chances are it's all waffle. English is sinfully predictable.

The marking scheme in General: PCLM,
    P= Clarity of Purpose, 30%
    (Have you stayed on task)
    C= Coherence of Delivery 30%
    (Structure and coherent)
    L= Efficiency of Language 30%
    (E.g I wan complete proof, change complete to ocular, showing you have fancy words necessary)
    M= Mechanics
    (Spelling and grammar)

Even if you take Bernard O' Shea advice yesterday and just write anything in the world, and not make a single error you would get 10%.

All of this information should be in your exam papers.

There is a famous saying, "How do I get to Carnegie Hall?" Practise, practise, practise.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 morclc

How many points should you have in the Comparative essay??

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I don't know how you could be marked easier because the odds of you choosing a poet that no one else does out of the thousands of students of Ireland is a definite 0 like...unless they aren't actually on the paper and you just do em anyway :D
    As people did the year of Plathgate ... it didn't work out well for them! :rolleyes:
    I have just noticed a fairly strange pattern...
    In the DEB and Examcraft 2013/2014 mocks they correctly had two or three poets
    Our mocks both companies used the same poets...
    Could this mean they'll trick us and give the other four tomorrow?? :eek:
    Mocks companies and the SEC have absolutely nothing to do with one another.

The same 4 poets could come up, or none.
    Have to admit im confused why does an irish poet HAVE to come up??
    They don't, neither does a woman, there is no such "rule".

There is a general pattern that at least one woman and one Irish poet comes up, but patterns can change any year ...

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Bah_Humbug

Do you think if there's like a Montague question that's really nice and everyone chooses it, will it be marked harder?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pa limerick

Is 4 poems enough for the poetry question?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Takuda

Is 4 poems enough for the poetry question?

If you can write out 4+ pages with those 4 poems then you're sorted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭gracew

Only learning Montague and Chuilleanain? Is this a bad idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Only learning Montague and Chuilleanain? Is this a bad idea?

Well the Institute has predicted them....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭gracew

Elemonator wrote: »

I don't have time to be learning anyone else, I know them inside out now

I don't have time to be learning anyone else, I know them inside out now

Much the same here, nice and easy too. but bear in mind you have a 78% chance of one of them coming up if all were picked randomly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 allenmac

is there a good chance that theme/issue will be on the paper? only one i know tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Dianabluex

allenmac wrote: »
    is there a good chance that theme/issue will be on the paper? only one i know tbh

Well since General vision and viewpoint came last year there's a high chance hoping for that one to 6 pages ready

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

Elemonator wrote: »

Don't trust everything that comes out of there, though... it always is still only a prediction. My history teacher said he met one of his students a few years after the exams and he told him a few others only did the predictions they heard from people in the institute and the questions were completely different that came up...

Kremin wrote: »
    Don't trust everything that comes out of there, though... it always is still only a prediction. My history teacher said he met one of his students a few years after the exams and he told him a few others only did the predictions they heard from people in the institute and the questions were completely different that came up...

I go there, most of them are right 80% of the time (at least I've found).

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Peg14

just back from long walk with he dog, should probably be studying!
    if frost comes up on his own, grand but if he comes up with others I won't know what to do because I am so indecisive

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

I have my theme/issue essay sorted, but I haven't a clue of literary genre. Could anyone here help me about what it means? The word "genre" keeps making me think I need to say what type of story it is constantly (romance, tragedy ect.). Could someone give me a brief rundown on what I should talk about in each paragraph too? (like symbols, characterisation ect.)

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Scirpt

Is 4-5 pages for comparative enough?

• Advertisement

Scirpt wrote: »
    Is 4-5 pages for comparative enough?

plenty

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement