Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I don't think mcgrath saying didn't need gleasson up front he clearly said he's good but huge difference to him and o mahony and they do have huge problem to fix
    I hope waterford play gleasson up front cork sweeper will limit he's space and he's huge loss at the back

I was being sarcastic. I'll make a prediction, if Darragh Fives is deemed fit enough he'll play wing back. Gleeson will be moved to WING forward. They will then either play Stephen Bennett or Dillon centre forward or maybe Brick. I don't think you should take everything managers say in the media at face value.

If this doesn't happen, one of those three will be center forward anyway and Brian O Halloran will start I would think, though I guess Devine having scored 1-1 may have a claim too.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Would love to see people's views on first round of championship. Only saw 2 games myself Tallow (obviously) v De La Salle and Ballygunner v Ballyduff. Won't comment on either cos I'm bias on first one and there's been enough said on the second.

The only comment ill make is once again poor crowds at both games with atmosphere very dead at both. Exciting second half in the Tallow game but that excitement was not evident in majority of support.

I was at the Passage V Roanmore game and it was a fairly decent crowd but Passage would always bring a few in fairness,the weather hampered what could have been a decent game special Mention to Billy Nolan who scored 1-6 of Roanmores 1-7, all from placed balls on his senior debut not bad in thise conditions. Roanmore may feel they left it behind them and they had a chance to level it with a free last few seconds but it wasnt to be. Eoin Kelly made a difference when he came on playing a sweeper roll which I'm already so sick of watching every team seems to be dropping a man back like or not I'd love to see a bit of normality.

Young players i felt done well over the weekend in the two games i saw.
    Jordan Henley (Tallow possible 2nd season )
    Tom tucker Moran (DLS debut)
    Billy Nolan (Roanmore debut)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

I was being sarcastic. I'll make a prediction, if Darragh Fives is deemed fit enough he'll play wing back. Gleeson will be moved to WING forward. They will then either play Stephen Bennett or Dillon centre forward or maybe Brick. I don't think you should take everything managers say in the media at face value.

If this doesn't happen, one of those three will be center forward anyway and Brian O Halloran will start I would think, though I guess Devine having scored 1-1 may have a claim too.
    My apologies
    I rate you as a very good poster as I said before many times as you know I geuinely didn't think you would be the sarcastic type
    So understandbly so I took what you said at face value, I didn't think your were being sarcastic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

We're going to win the treble. Pauric Mahony will play every game in his crutches. We're going to beat Cork, scoring 5-32 in the process and taking points rather than hitting it into an open goal on two occasions, then beat Tipp by eight, no, nine clear goals in the Munster final. We'll get a bye into the final after our semi-final opponents give us a walkover because what would be the point. Kilkenny will be trashed by 24 points in the final and we'll only hit one wide. Tony Browne, Paul Flynn, Ken McGrath, John Mullane and Cider Landers will appear as substitutes. Every citizen will be made kiss the Déise badge at least once a day throughout the thousand year Reich that follows.

There, I think that covers every 'arrogant Waterford' base.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,938 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

It will take a huge performance from Waterford to beat cork on the 7th June. Cork will play like animals to prove a point after the league shambles.

• Advertisement

The local GAA fields must be full of magic mushrooms today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

The local GAA fields must be full of magic mushrooms today

I'd take offence at that, but I can see right through my fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭thegambler2

I was at the Passage V Roanmore game and it was a fairly decent crowd but Passage would always bring a few in fairness,the weather hampered what could have been a decent game special Mention to Billy Nolan who scored 1-6 of Roanmores 1-7, all from placed balls on his senior debut not bad in thise conditions. Roanmore may feel they left it behind them and they had a chance to level it with a free last few seconds but it wasnt to be. Eoin Kelly made a difference when he came on playing a sweeper roll which I'm already so sick of watching every team seems to be dropping a man back like or not I'd love to see a bit of normality.

The Abbeyside vs 4mile game was of a standard you would expect, thought Eoin Bergin played very well on Conor Gleeson, so much so he was subbed.

After hearing about Mahonys injury I though Jamie Barron would be straight onto frees, but missed about 4 frees today before Liam Lawlor took over.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Deise189

I would love to see what Darragh Fives could do at number 11. He would have a better defensive mind than Gleeson would in that position i think, which would suit the system better and he can also easily pick off scores, like he showed against kilkenny in 2013- some of the best points i`ve ever seen! Problem would be throwing him into a munster semi after being out so long. Anyone know if we have challenges lined up before then as they would be a great chance to try Fives at half forward. Although I don`t know what his fitness is like. I think Aussie would be much better remaining wing back or else moving up to wing forward and moving some one else to the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭deisedude

If Stephen Bennett starts he should be on frees

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭TyrionPower

Deise189 wrote: »
    I would love to see what Darragh Fives could do at number 11. He would have a better defensive mind than Gleeson would in that position i think, which would suit the system better and he can also easily pick off scores, like he showed against kilkenny in 2013- some of the best points i`ve ever seen! Problem would be throwing him into a munster semi after being out so long. Anyone know if we have challenges lined up before then as they would be a great chance to try Fives at half forward. Although I don`t know what his fitness is like. I think Aussie would be much better remaining wing back or else moving up to wing forward and moving some one else to the centre.

D Fives didn't play championship for Tourin at the weekend so he must be a bit away from being right..

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭mickotallow

I'd agree with the 3 young players. To score 1-6 in any match, placed balls or not is a good achievement but to do it on your senior hurling championship debut is a real sign that Billy Nolan could be the player we all hope he could be.
    Tom Moran played very well wing back for DLS and showed great composure.
    Jordan Henley showed great maturity to have a strong second half in midfield after being moved out of centre back. His runs were a real lift to the team.

This curse of the spare man at the back will lead to games turning into a tennis match with two spare men hitting sliotar to each other. Are every senior team going to copy the Waterford model now or will club managers have the brains and guts to play teams and tactics that suit their own team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Good to hear some of those young lads standing out the weekend. Where did Billy Nolan play? You'd have to think if he's starting senior outfield for his club that'll be the end of his days on goal underage for the county.
    Wonder how much difference he could've made outfield against Tipp or Limerick, he could've helped get us over the line in either of those games.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Top drawer

Cake Man wrote: »
    Good to hear some of those young lads standing out the weekend. Where did Billy Nolan play? You'd have to think if he's starting senior outfield for his club that'll be the end of his days on goal underage for the county.
    Wonder how much difference he could've made outfield against Tipp or Limerick, he could've helped get us over the line in either of those games.

He played wing forward the weekend, has always been an outfield player under his own age even with county teams but ive heard he has been to a few waterford senior sessions as a gk already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

Cake Man wrote: »

It was a complete joke to be honest with you (as good a keeper as Billy is). One of the best young forwards in the county and this management team couldnt find a place for him anywhere outfield

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

It was a complete joke to be honest with you (as good a keeper as Billy is). One of the best young forwards in the county and this management team couldnt find a place for him anywhere outfield

He did make like 3 super saves to stop goals, maybe another keeper wouldn't have made them.

Gavin O'Mahony played in goal for the Limerick minors the year before they got to the All-Ireland final. And Nicky Quaid still plays in goal for Limerick despite being one of the best players in the Limerick club championship.

You could argue that he'd be more valuable outfield but having a safe pair of hands, and someone with good puckouts is possibly undervalued at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 The Intruder

deisedude wrote: »
    If Stephen Bennett starts he should be on frees

Ah here now!!! He doesn't even take em for Ballysaggart and the odd time he does more often than not he drills them low and the defence cut em out. Fantastic player but not the answer to Waterfords potential free taking problem

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

Jamie Barron, Stephan Bannett, Maurice Shanahan and Jake Dillon seem to be the contenders for the free taking role. IMO Jamie Barron has one of the hardest jobs to do for Waterford. Taking the ball off defenders and moving into attack. He is the only player we have that can do it as well as he's doing it. You need to have a great engine and quick sidestep to get around a congested middle third. He's playing out of his skin at the moment so i wouldn't like to see the extra pressure on him to take frees.
    Stephan Bennett is still not 100% fit and he may never be due to his hip problems so i don't see him finishing any games. A free taker has to be on the field at all times especially when you need him the most in the last 10 min when the most pressure is on a free taker to score.
    I'm not sure that Maurice free taking technique is a reliable way to score 90% of frees. Now i could be wrong but does he not take a step or two towards the ball and jab lift it. All the best free takers stand over the ball with their shoulder facing the goal, this to me is the most reliable way to be consistent at frees.
    That leaves Jake Dillon, some say he is lucky to be starting ahead of some others but his work rate can never be questioned. He is also fairly accurate from play when he does go for a score. I would say it'll be Jake Dillon who gets the nod, he's seen as one of the more experienced players on the team and championship experience counts for alot. Has he a good scoring rate with DLS?

Fireball07 wrote: »
    He did make like 3 super saves to stop goals, maybe another keeper wouldn't have made them.

Gavin O'Mahony played in goal for the Limerick minors the year before they got to the All-Ireland final. And Nicky Quaid still plays in goal for Limerick despite being one of the best players in the Limerick club championship.

You could argue that he'd be more valuable outfield but having a safe pair of hands, and someone with good puckouts is possibly undervalued at times.

Valid points. But having been beaten by Tipp the call should have been made to bring him out. We hit an awful lot of wides against Tipp having dominated much of the game. Truth be told many of the forwards just didn’t perform and a stronger management team would have had a plan B. As it happened they went with the same starting 15 against Limerick and it was just more of the same. There were other options for goalkeeper I can tell you now, and Nolan was one of the best forwards on show in the senior championship over the weekend. Not saying we still would have won anything this year at minor but we were found badly short on the sideline and I hope theres someone with a bit more of a pedigree in next year.

Jamie Barron, Stephan Bannett, Maurice Shanahan and Jake Dillon seem to be the contenders for the free taking role. IMO Jamie Barron has one of the hardest jobs to do for Waterford. Taking the ball off defenders and moving into attack. He is the only player we have that can do it as well as he's doing it. You need to have a great engine and quick sidestep to get around a congested middle third. He's playing out of his skin at the moment so i wouldn't like to see the extra pressure on him to take frees.
    Stephan Bennett is still not 100% fit and he may never be due to his hip problems so i don't see him finishing any games. A free taker has to be on the field at all times especially when you need him the most in the last 10 min when the most pressure is on a free taker to score.
    I'm not sure that Maurice free taking technique is a reliable way to score 90% of frees. Now i could be wrong but does he not take a step or two towards the ball and jab lift it. All the best free takers stand over the ball with their shoulder facing the goal, this to me is the most reliable way to be consistent at frees.
    That leaves Jake Dillon, some say he is lucky to be starting ahead of some others but his work rate can never be questioned. He is also fairly accurate from play when he does go for a score. I would say it'll be Jake Dillon who gets the nod, he's seen as one of the more experienced players on the team and championship experience counts for alot. Has he a good scoring rate with DLS?

I agree with that I think Dillon is the man to step up. He’s an excellent freetaker on his day aswell remember his performance for the u21s against Clare in Walsh Park a couple years back. Hes the kind of player who can grow in confidence and grow into games more when hes scoring frees. He has taken a bit of flak on here lately as someone who is only there on reputation . His form hasn’t been what people were expecting a couple years ago but his workrate has been phenomenal and maybe Paudies injury is the ideal opportunity for Jake to finally step up and show what he can do. I don’t think Maurice is consistent enough and hes only getting his confidence back this year with a new lease of life so Id say leave well enough alone for the minute. Jamie Barron is playing too far out rarely you see a midfielder brought in for close in frees theres too many other things to consider by the time hes back out to his position the ball has been pucked out and back in play. Stephen Bennett Id say no way As you said its questionable enough as it is whether hes actually ready for senior championship fitnesswise.

• Advertisement

I agree with that I think Dillon is the man to step up. He’s an excellent freetaker on his day aswell remember his performance for the u21s against Clare in Walsh Park a couple years back. Hes the kind of player who can grow in confidence and grow into games more when hes scoring frees. He has taken a bit of flak on here lately as someone who is only there on reputation . His form hasn’t been what people were expecting a couple years ago but his workrate has been phenomenal and maybe Paudies injury is the ideal opportunity for Jake to finally step up and show what he can do. I don’t think Maurice is consistent enough and hes only getting his confidence back this year with a new lease of life so Id say leave well enough alone for the minute. Jamie Barron is playing too far out rarely you see a midfielder brought in for close in frees theres too many other things to consider by the time hes back out to his position the ball has been pucked out and back in play. Stephen Bennett Id say no way As you said its questionable enough as it is whether hes actually ready for senior championship fitnesswise.

Jake Dillion was brilliant against Clare that day he shot the lights out, he put over everything... Funny wasn't Pauraic Mahony on the Field the same day? The frees were not going well for Pauraic at all at the time ...

Jake Dillion was brilliant against Clare that day he shot the lights out, he put over everything... Funny wasn't Pauraic Mahony on the Field the same day? The frees were not going well for Pauraic at all at the time ...

If memory serves me right Pauric only came on as a sub that day. He had bad injury problems that year and it was actually the first bit of hurling hed played in a while....

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

If memory serves me right Pauric only came on as a sub that day. He had bad injury problems that year and it was actually the first bit of hurling hed played in a while....

He was the captain as well and Gavin o Brien the vice captain was also injured. Agree Nolan proved his worth in the goals with the minors, was waterford's man of the match in the limerick game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Does brick take frees for Stradbally? I seem to remember him taking frees in underage games years ago and being quite accurate but I dont know if he's been taking any in recent years

Jake doesnt take them for DLS and we aren't exactly flush with free takers up there, the next best to Paudie Mahony is Martin O'Neill he's a good 8/10 free taker but will he get the nod?
    i dont think so myself but we need a solid freetaker would we be willing to put him in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Jake doesnt take them for DLS and we aren't exactly flush with free takers up there, the next best to Paudie Mahony is Martin O'Neill he's a good 8/10 free taker but will he get the nod?
    i dont think so myself but we need a solid freetaker would we be willing to put him in?

Didn't he take them when Derek was there in 2012? Who's taking them now?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Hows Daniels coming along, would he be close to playing against Cork?

Ya you are dead right he only came on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭deisedude

Ah here now!!! He doesn't even take em for Ballysaggart and the odd time he does more often than not he drills them low and the defence cut em out. Fantastic player but not the answer to Waterfords potential free taking problem

On second thought I forgot it was Curran taking the frees for the minors in 2013 and not Bennett

• Advertisement

the free taking is going to be a big headache for us, Patrick Curran would be some man to have now he is so accurate, but that's not going to happen...
    The only player tried before is Shanahan and he is too inconsistent...
    Basically against Cork we will have to go with either Shanahan, who is probably a 6/10 man, or else someone who has never taken frees at senior inter county level before.... Both options aren't great but I think they will go with The safe option of Shanahan as opposed to a totally unknown...
    It really makes a huge dent in our hopes, no-one can name with any confidence a potential free taker.... Not a good position to be in

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement