Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cascade12

Conor Gleeson scored 1 point off Barry Coughlan. He got 1-1 when being marked by Cunningham. Lehane got 1 point also off Coughlan, the rest of his scores came when he was corner or wing forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DLS2THECORE

Patrick Curran will be part of the Waterford panel taking part in this weeks training camp in Kildare, a welcome boost after the injury to Pauric Mahony and a few other knocks that were picked up at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Maurice dislocated knee cap apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Maurice dislocated knee cap apparently.

Maurice Shanahan rated a doubt for championship game with Cork - WLR.

But we must not express any dismay at this news lest lurkers from other counties get the impression that we're losing our nerve...:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

He didn't do much wrong in the league I thought he handled Callinan well. Though in retrospect Conor Lehane score 0-5 points which I didn't realize at the time having thought he did well, though Lehane didn't play as an orthodox full forward. Given the system and that he is likely to stay if the full forward goes roaming out the field, what would we consider a good performance by him? No concession of goals?

He deserves his chance at full back anyway.

I know well how good Conor Gleeson is but lads, is he Seamus Callinan, Richie Power or Conor Lehane? He is only 18 like, I could see him starting for Waterford in the future but doubt very much that this year as an 18 year old he would be considered good enough to be starting. You have to hold Coughlan to a higher level for now.

For sure gleeson has plenty of talent and will be close to the Waterford starting 15 in the future. I never talked about him good enough to be starting this year.
    My point was that Gleeson didn't score 1-2 off Coughlan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

That's some disaster if Maurice dislocated his knee, we went through 5 months injury free, now we're after losing 2 important forwards. Tom Devine and Brian O'Halloran to start June 7th.
    I think since Darragh Fives didn't play last week for Tourin...we can rule him out for the Cork game. Steven Daniels is flying, he played corner back under Michael Ryan, play him wing back and move Aussie is another option. I think I saw Ryan Donnelly's name in a match report for the weekend, but I presume his fitness isn't the best yet

• Registered Users Posts: 37,794 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Longford showed that in championship you can redem yourselves after losing a league final

We might as well just give cork the game and concentrate on the all Ireland series .I could bet that we won't win another game this season

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Longford showed that in championship you can redem yourselves after losing a league final

We might as well just give cork the game and concentrate on the all Ireland series .I could bet that we won't win another game this season

Shut up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

We need to look at the big picture here. Yes we are getting hit with some injuries to our starting 15 but so will other counties during the championship. They are saying Maurice is in a race against time to be fit for Cork game. That to me is good news as he should be OK for whoever we play after cork.
    Whether we win or lose to cork its not going to define our year. What defines our year is how we play in the championship as a whole. If we can keep playing like we have during the league and also keep improving then that's a good year wherever that takes us. I'm not trying to write off this year but just trying to focus on the big picture which is that Waterford hurling is only going to get stronger over the next couple of years with players like Patrick Curren, Shane Bennett, Conor Gleeson, Darragh Lyons, Conor Prunty, Billy Nolan, DJ Foran, Jordan Henley etc all could make serious impacts at senior inter county level over the next couple of years.
    Will we face setbacks and injuries, yes of course we will but I think we are forming a panel of players here that injuries to players on the starting 15 won't derail our year.

Darragh Fives didn't play last week but was '99% fit' apparently. Assume he played this week but dunno for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭TyrionPower

Darragh Fives didn't play last week but was '99% fit' apparently. Assume he played this week but dunno for sure.

I don't think Tourin played this week, looks like ballysaggart are the only team to play 2 games so far in that group...
    maybe last week was his last week to prove his fitness.. He is had such a horrible run with injuries he is probably right to be 100% confident before coming back.

We need to look at the big picture here. Yes we are getting hit with some injuries to our starting 15 but so will other counties during the championship. They are saying Maurice is in a race against time to be fit for Cork game. That to me is good news as he should be OK for whoever we play after cork.
    Whether we win or lose to cork its not going to define our year. What defines our year is how we play in the championship as a whole. If we can keep playing like we have during the league and also keep improving then that's a good year wherever that takes us. I'm not trying to write off this year but just trying to focus on the big picture which is that Waterford hurling is only going to get stronger over the next couple of years with players like Patrick Curren, Shane Bennett, Conor Gleeson, Darragh Lyons, Conor Prunty, Billy Nolan, DJ Foran, Jordan Henley etc all could make serious impacts at senior inter county level over the next couple of years.
    Will we face setbacks and injuries, yes of course we will but I think we are forming a panel of players here that injuries to players on the starting 15 won't derail our year.

Would be some size of a team as well! I do t know what they are feeding young lads these days... Monsters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I know Shane Bennett is doing his LC but is there any indication he'll be making himself available for June 7th?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭thegambler2

Cake Man wrote: »
    I know Shane Bennett is doing his LC but is there any indication he'll be making himself available for June 7th?

He will be playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Patrick Curran will be part of the Waterford panel taking part in this weeks training camp in Kildare, a welcome boost after the injury to Pauric Mahony and a few other knocks that were picked up at the weekend.

Great news. I hope he has been brought on to the squad to replace the player that was inebriated the Thurs before the league semi final and was conveniently brushed under the carpet because of the player concerned. Great management skills to do so but not great discipline from the player involved. There probably would have been alot more uproar about it but seeing as we went on to win the league its a case of the end justifies the means.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

cul beag wrote: »
    Great news. I hope he has been brought on to the squad to replace the player that was inebriated the Thurs before the league semi final and was conveniently brushed under the carpet because of the player concerned. Great management skills to do so but not great discipline from the player involved. There probably would have been alot more uproar about it but seeing as we went on to win the league its a case of the end justifies the means.

Can you Enlighten us? Patrick Curran Joining up is great news.. I think this kid is the best of the lot as regards the new talent coming through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

Ok you have to elaborate on that....

If Curran is brought up to the panel I think he should go straight into the team. No point having that lad warming the bench especially given that Mahony and potentially Maurice are out. Would be tough on the player that is training all the year to miss out but special cases should be made for special players

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

Not so sure whether he should go straight into the team. Good impact and maybe primed for hopefully the Munster final.... He's incredibly talented, nobody is doubting that but its not like he's shooting the lights out in the senior championship so far this year. Massive step up from playing minor / senior hurling championship to playing senior county. I'm interested in what Cul beag is getting at too...

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

Well,well,well. The story eventually breaks! I was wondering how long it would take before it became common knowledge. I heard about it on the day of the match but didn't believe it but subsequent"investigating" has provided enough information to deem it correct. Management did/do know about the incident but chose not to deal with it as it was to close to the game and subsequently have turned a blind eye to it ever sense. A strange one especially when my own clubman was accused INCORRECTLY of the same offence 2 weeks previously!

The Paddy Curran thing is a big boost but how does that sit with the players on the edge of the squad? Harsh on them to be honest but then as a manager you have to be ruthless to be successful. But then when double standards are seen by the current squad expect it to become alot more topical when things start to go wrong. Unfortunately that's the nature of the beast! Personally though,if it was my team and a player was on the beer 3 nights before a big game he definitely wouldn't have seen action let alone start. Lets just say his performance corresponded with his extra curricular activities!!!

it was all dealt with, we won the league.

Paddy Curran is on the panel, Shane Bennett is hurling out of his skin and will be back - huge positives

Don't be dragging up muck - would ye prefer we had an approach like Clare?

Take a look at how established players (i.e. Charlie Carter as captain) were treated in Kilkenny nevermind fringe players... that's just how it works - no manager can worry about how his decisions impact on players on the edge of the team or the squad, as you said its the nature of the beast, everyone knows what they are signing up for.

A player went drinking before championship last year, came on and played Cat - Funny how that didn't make it onto boards....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

While we're in the business of innuendos about the panel from anonymous internet people . . . :p I was talking to someone close to the panel on Sunday and he said everything over the last few months has been designed to peak at the beginning of September. You could argue that that's blarney, but the matter-of-fact way he said it was like rocket fuel for me. The League certainly suggested there was something to it. Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭westcork blue

Really disappointed with the rumours being posted up here. These guys give of their time for free, spreading stories about lads who bust their balls is not on and beneath the spirit of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 nexusg

Really disappointed with the rumours being posted up here. These guys give of their time for free, spreading stories about lads who bust their balls is not on and beneath the spirit of this thread.

Fully agree, people don't show respect and appreciation for our players and management. What about the months of sacrifice they put in for the county. I'm really proud of this group of players, the level of maturity they are showing at a young age.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Nobody is questioning the players commitment and sacrifices but all i am questioning is the double standards. Do not shove your heads in the sand because all is forgiven over our league success. Do you honestly believe that all the players are in support of the non-action? Ye all couldn't be that naive! I certainly won't stop criticising if i see fit and will not be dictated to by private messages either! Because we're having a successful year everyone wants to brush things under the carpet but if we haven't been as successful would it be ok to discuss it on here then? Christ we had enough of that under Bertie Aherne!
    Il be accused of having a personal vendetta against McGrath(which couldn't be further from the truth) but could you answer me this- What about all the players that have made the same sacrifices and commitments and see the double standards being handed out,what do we say to them?- Thanks lads for all the effort all year and ye are great for making up the second 15 but ye'll never see action with the first team because we don't really rate ye and have our favourite players no matter what?
    Its a discussion board and that means the positive and negative aspects of what is happening is entitled to be discussed.
    Please do not be so condescending and insult my knowledge of what's really going on. I am well aware of the difference between rumours,lies, and the actual truth. I'm well positioned to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

Nobody is questioning the players commitment and sacrifices but all i am questioning is the double standards. Do not shove your heads in the sand because all is forgiven over our league success. Do you honestly believe that all the players are in support of the non-action? Ye all couldn't be that naive! I certainly won't stop criticising if i see fit and will not be dictated to by private messages either! Because we're having a successful year everyone wants to brush things under the carpet but if we haven't been as successful would it be ok to discuss it on here then? Christ we had enough of that under Bertie Aherne!
    Il be accused of having a personal vendetta against McGrath(which couldn't be further from the truth) but could you answer me this- What about all the players that have made the same sacrifices and commitments and see the double standards being handed out,what do we say to them?- Thanks lads for all the effort all year and ye are great for making up the second 15 but ye'll never see action with the first team because we don't really rate ye and have our favourite players no matter what?
    Its a discussion board and that means the positive and negative aspects of what is happening is entitled to be discussed.
    Please do not be so condescending and insult my knowledge of what's really going on. I am well aware of the difference between rumours,lies, and the actual truth. I'm well positioned to know.

Fair enough but the problem here is do you know the full story. Like for instance why the player in question did this. Is he having problems like suffering from depression etc. Unless you know 100% of whats going on i don't think it should be talked about here. These players aren't robots their human beings who are going to make mistakes. If he learns from his mistake he deserves a second chance IMO.

Cul Beag I'm not saying you're wrong on this occasion, but you did say Shane O Sullivan was going to be our new captain before. I would not be dismayed over people being sceptical about rumours at all. If you've an issue with management maybe you need to take it up with them altogether rather than making an insinuation here. What good does it actually do?

Admittedly, I know where you are coming from if an individual is taking liberties another player wouldn't be afforded it does beg questions but these are internal matters at the end of the day. I think last year management deserved criticism but also deserved the chance they got this year. So far they seem to have done quite well so Id be willing to allow for their judgment being best right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭mickotallow

Have admit this site is really depressing me at the minute. We've just had possibly one of the best 2 weeks of club championship we've had in recent memory. With some of the so called bigger teams like Mt Sion, De La Salle and Lismore all being beaten. Yet instead of talking about this and how the feel good factor in Waterford hurling has carried on into the club scene all fellas can talk about are rumours about drinking. Is this a gossip page or a fan discussion thread on Waterford Hurling?

Great display by Thomas Connors against us last weekend. Passage were full value for their win and in all honesty we were very poor. On the plus side it was good to see Ryan Donnelly get some game time but it was obvious he has been out for so long as he unfortunately had little impact. From a Dungarvan perspective i would be hoping it is the shock that's needed to kick start out season because in all honesty we have been poor in the first 2 games. This group has really opened up and with Roanmore and Cappoquin both winning it will make for some interesting games in the remaining fixtures.
    Our u21's had a good workout against Limerick on Monday night in Carriganore. While losing by 2 points it was the first time that the senior contingent and the rest of the squad came together with the senior players playing different halves while never having our strongest 15 out together if ye can follow all that!
    It is a frightening prospect the strength of that panel but then how many times have we said that in recent years? Fingers crossed we get passed Cork at this grade but above in Pairc ui Rinn will be a tough task.

U21 team was
    Seanie Barry
    Conor Gleeson
    Kieran Bennett
    Mark McNulty
    Aussie Gleeson
    Tadgh de Burca
    Mark O Brien
    Tom Devine
    Cathal Curran
    Colin Dunford
    Michael Harney
    Barry O Sullivan
    David Walsh
    DJ Foran
    Paddy Curran

Finished 2-14 to 22pts to Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

archieknox wrote: »
    Great display by Thomas Connors against us last weekend. Passage were full value for their win and in all honesty we were very poor. On the plus side it was good to see Ryan Donnelly get some game time but it was obvious he has been out for so long as he unfortunately had little impact. From a Dungarvan perspective i would be hoping it is the shock that's needed to kick start out season because in all honesty we have been poor in the first 2 games. This group has really opened up and with Roanmore and Cappoquin both winning it will make for some interesting games in the remaining fixtures.

Didn't see it but a game and would have love to have, two good young teams. This could be an important year for Dungarvan, they really need to push on to the next level. How did Patrick Curran, the other Currans and Lyons go? It's refreshing to see so many young players stamp their authority on senior games.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement