Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

the free taking is going to be a big headache for us, Patrick Curran would be some man to have now he is so accurate, but that's not going to happen...
    The only player tried before is Shanahan and he is too inconsistent...
    Basically against Cork we will have to go with either Shanahan, who is probably a 6/10 man, or else someone who has never taken frees at senior inter county level before.... Both options aren't great but I think they will go with The safe option of Shanahan as opposed to a totally unknown...
    It really makes a huge dent in our hopes, no-one can name with any confidence a potential free taker.... Not a good position to be in

Dillon took them in 2013 v Clare after Mahony came off in the league below in Ennis. Nailed a few, and then scored the winning point from a free on halfway right at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭coopdog85

Jake Dillon will be on the frees against Cork. He's an excellent free taker & the only good thing about Mahony's injury is it happened now & not a week or 2 before the game in training or something. Although it's a big blow for McGrath & the rest of the panel it's now time for someone else to stand up & from what I've seen this year there's no shortage of character in the panel. Plenty of time for Dillon to practice the frees & get his eye in & who knows he could be the one to step up & lead the team from the front, we all know he has the talent - it's up to him to show the rest of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Surely with some extra practice we can find a player who can hit 7 or 8 out of 10 frees. Compared to Mahony who's a 9/10, if we had someone hitting 8/10 it wouldn't make a huge difference, maybe cost us a point a game. If we can also bring our wide count down then losing Mahony wouldn't be as bad.

The real loss though is the crunch frees in the final minutes. Whereas Mahony is reliable under that sort of pressure maybe some of the others won't be and in a tight championship game could be the difference between winning and losing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

coopdog85 wrote: »
    Jake Dillon will be on the frees against Cork. He's an excellent free taker & the only good thing about Mahony's injury is it happened now & not a week or 2 before the game in training or something. Although it's a big blow for McGrath & the rest of the panel it's now time for someone else to stand up & from what I've seen this year there's no shortage of character in the panel. Plenty of time for Dillon to practice the frees & get his eye in & who knows he could be the one to step up & lead the team from the front, we all know he has the talent - it's up to him to show the rest of the country.
    Good point. I think we'd all be feeling dismayed had any of the starting 15 suffered a season-ending injury. Everything was going so well, gone from no hopers to much hopers in the space of a few short months. Anything that gets stuck in the spokes feels like the kind of thing that would cause you to go head-first over the handlebars. Hopefully the management team will have enough time to put his absence out of the minds of the panel and the player who has to take up the free-taking duties.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Didn't he take them when Derek was there in 2012? Who's taking them now?

Adam Farrell was taking them against tallow from 45 in Bryan Phelan was taking long range. Jake had a mare on the frees last year when Shane Ryan wasnt taking them,
    and in 2012 it was between mullane Jake and John Keane.

• Advertisement

Adam Farrell was taking them against tallow from 45 in Bryan Phelan was taking long range. Jake had a mare on the frees last year when Shane Ryan wasnt taking them,
    and in 2012 it was between mullane Jake and John Keane.

Who's in charge of De La Salle this year? McGrath might be having a word before the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

Does brick take frees for Stradbally? I seem to remember him taking frees in underage games years ago and being quite accurate but I dont know if he's been taking any in recent years

I'd be shocked to learn that Brick is a good freetaker considering that he is such a poor striker of the ball. It's the only facet of his game that isn't exceptional.

I reckon Mahonys loss is probably about 2 points a game to us because he will score 9/10, or even 10/10 on a good day. Anyone thats coming in is going to be 7 or 8 out of 10 if we are lucky. Please God it isn't Maurice anyway. There could be a gael blowing and he'd still be ballooning the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭mickotallow

Who's in charge of De La Salle this year? McGrath might be having a word before the weekend

Ray Murphy who was involved with the minors this year is in charge of De La Salle I think.
    I'd be very wary of Jake Dillion on frees. He's taken them against Tallow in 2014 & 2013 and missed 3/4 frees each day. I don't but this 9/10 or 8/10 free taker.
    I could score 10/10 frees myself if they were in a good central position, doesn't make me a good free taker. This is a phrase Derek used to describe Pauric and fellas are getting hung up on it. What we need is a free taker who is good under pressure and strikes the ball well. Jake Dillion will prob be on frees against Cork because he took them for DLS when Derek was in charge. But I reckon Maurice will be pushing for them and has a good chance because if Maurice starts scoring frees he tends to contribute more from play as his confidence is up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭TyrionPower

Jake Dillon did have an absolute horror show on the frees for the minor Munster final in pairc Uí caoimh in 2011 as well

To be fair, minors don't tend to be as reliable as seniors in any respect. He'd be a better striker of a ball now though obviously will need plenty of practice in the next 4 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Waterford cd

deisedude wrote: »
    If Stephen Bennett starts he should be on frees
    3rd choice free taker for ballysaggart??????????

• Registered Users Posts: 37,817 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Will Shane Bennett be back for the cork game ?? I knw the leaving normally starts the weds before.

Hopefully he was still training with the panel and will be some what fit to play.

Hopefully Patrick curran does join the panel next year. Hope he doesn't decide to go to America or somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

Austin Gleeson took some long range frees for the minors in 2013, might be another option to look at. Wouldn't be confident with Bennett, Maurice, Dillon or Martin o Neill taking them. There's no real standout option for the frees at the moment but at least there's a few weeks to try and sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

Have we any challenge games lined up in the near future? Hopefully we don't get anymore injuries this weekend after the second round of club games.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Hearing its likely to be Barron on frees

• Registered Users Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭Cake Man

The worry is what happens if whoever gets the nod for the frees misses the first one or two - should another player be then given responsibility or keep faith with the first fella.
    I'm not a fan of Maurice's freetaking style, any technique that involves a run up (even if it's just 2 or 3 steps) sacrifices accuracy to an extent. The close in frees shouldn't be a problem but it's those ones by the sideline 50m out that you'll suffer and this is before we talk about wind strength/direction. Ballooning the ball like Maurice does won't work in those conditions.

Jake could be the most logical choice as he has a decent strike of the ball but I do recall a few club and county games where he missed a few and was taken off them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

Cake Man wrote: »
    The worry is what happens if whoever gets the nod for the frees misses the first one or two - should another player be then given responsibility or keep faith with the first fella.
    I'm not a fan of Maurice's freetaking style, any technique that involves a run up (even if it's just 2 or 3 steps) sacrifices accuracy to an extent. The close in frees shouldn't be a problem but it's those ones by the sideline 50m out that you'll suffer and this is before we talk about wind strength/direction. Ballooning the ball like Maurice does won't work in those conditions.

Jake could be the most logical choice as he has a decent strike of the ball but I do recall a few club and county games where he missed a few and was taken off them.

The frees are not a huge concern as far as I’m concerned. Im sure whoever takes over the freetaking duties will do a good job. And theres plenty other lads well and able if it dosent work out for one lad. At top level senior intercounty championship most players are accomplished freetakers. It’s a given that most frees will go over at this level. Yes Paudie is more consistent than most but its his absence from open play is the bigger loss in my opinion. Frees alone will not win you games its whatever team can score the most from play will ultimately shine through

• Registered Users Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Yeah I agree, I don't think this whole issue over who takes the frees will make any difference. Whoever does get the nod I've no doubt is well able to put at least 8/10 over. Not as if this is something they haven't done before and I'm sure they practice freetaking even if they aren't first choice.

What games are on the weekend? Please God a clean bill of health by Sunday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭blueflame

Can we please stop making "mountains out of molehills". Yes - Paudie is a massive loss no doubt, but he is only one player and we have to get on with it. It is not as if Paudie was not human and not capable of having a mare himself - anyone who was in Tullamore only 2 months ago will remember Paudie having a complete mare that day, and he missed a number of handy ones against Clare in the first round two years ago. Who is to say he wouldn't have a bad day against Cork- he is human

Maurice / Jake / Jamie / Aussie or whoever are top inter county players and are all capable of scoring frees. Lets focus on our team strengths as a whole before we start worrying about who will convert frees. We have all been rambling on about this "team" and how we have loads of character and leaders - well let's find out - let's see how they stand up and fight - lets see what they are really made of and I personally think they will stand and fight. I am fed up listening to Pundits about how we are so dependent on our frees for scores, that could have to do with the fact that we are drawing the frees in scoreable positions thorough good quality play.

We have spent the majority of the last 20 years turning our "fullback position" into a poison chalice, let's not do it with our free taker. On the off chance that some of the players do read this site, i am sure they would be delighted to see everyone tear their free taking ability apart, that would be sure to instill confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Lol blueflame. That killed the discussion anyway....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭mickotallow

Predictions for games this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 SkipFC

Predictions for games this weekend?

Nothing only that I'm really looking forward to the Cappoquin v Lismore game. I remember a few years back a Lismore man saying to me that he hopes Cappoquin get promoted to senior so they get hammered in every game and go straight back down.

There's obviously no love lost between the two clubs and should make for a great game. I'd rather it wasn't in Ballyduff but that's just from a spectators point of view

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

SkipFC wrote: »
    Nothing only that I'm really looking forward to the Cappoquin v Lismore game. I remember a few years back a Lismore man saying to me that he hopes Cappoquin get promoted to senior so they get hammered in every game and go straight back down.

There's obviously no love lost between the two clubs and should make for a great game. I'd rather it wasn't in Ballyduff but that's just from a spectators point of view

I remember hearing a story of a current cappoquin player telling Mike Sullivan,when playing against Lismore at intermediate,while beating them,"to f**k back to junior where ye belong" So ya it should make for an interesting tie alright!!

cul beag wrote: »
    I remember hearing a story of a current cappoquin player telling Mike Sullivan,when playing against Lismore at intermediate,while beating them,"to f**k back to junior where ye belong" So ya it should make for an interesting tie alright!!

Lismore will lace them I reckon. Think Mount Sion, Tallow, Ballygunner, De La Salle and a draw in Passage v Dungarvan is how the rest will go.

Lismore will lace them I reckon. Think Mount Sion, Tallow, Ballygunner, De La Salle and a draw in Passage v Dungarvan is how the rest will go.

We're struggling with a few injuries so id take a draw now! I was going to travel to Lismore this evening but seeing as Ballyduff are going for the fairplay award it will only be a love fest rather than a local derby!!! Sunday night at the love zone venue could be tastier between cappoquin and Lismore!!!

Just read the Irish Times preview of the championship. Malachy Clerkin says Austin Gleeson is the best hurler in Waterford, Maria Crowe says he's the best in Ireland. Yet neither of them know where he plays. Your head would be wrecked reading it sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭TyrionPower

cul beag wrote: »

I didn't think it will be that interesting a tie, Cappoquin got ate alive on the pitch and on the line the last day and not a lot will change in a week

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

archieknox wrote: »
    We're struggling with a few injuries so id take a draw now!

Who's missin for ye or who is doubtful

Who's missin for ye or who is doubtful

Conor Sheridan our second choice fullback is now out, Sean Ryan is suspended after last week's sending off and Ryan Donnelly is still out along with Kevin Daly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Alf Tupper

Tallow 2-15 Ballyduff 1-13. FT

Good win for Tallow. They seem to be going well this year.

As for Ballyduff, two defeats on the bounce. Not looking good. They can't always depend on leaving it late to make an impact!

I'd say they will be glad of the break to re group!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement