Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport Fire Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 SAFO

Yes its all organised. Some of the lads are coming off shift to oversee the tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭big.left90

I contacted HR too, and was told they're still going through applications and to wait out for another few weeks. :eek:

Also, I asked about fitness tests and was told it wasn't a "fitness" test and that it was the standard firefighter job related tests a ladder climb, casualty evacuation, ladder lift, equipment carry etc, unless they've decided to add in a bleep test too.

Still though happy days, not out of the running yet (hopefully) :eek:

Unless you have had an interview you are out. As regards to the fitness test it is the same test as the DFB and the UK fire services are rolling out to their applicants.
    Look it up on line.

There are a lot of staff in the daa Hr department but only a small minority would have accurate knowledge of the firefighter recruitment campaign let alone know anything regarding the fitness tests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Tintin8

SAFO wrote: »
    Unless you have had an interview you are out. As regards to the fitness test it is the same test as the DFB and the UK fire services are rolling out to their applicants.
    Look it up on line.

There are a lot of staff in the daa Hr department but only a small minority would have accurate knowledge of the firefighter recruitment campaign let alone know anything regarding the fitness tests.

Fulltime brigades usually do beep test .flexibility, body fat & a grip test.

And the work related tests are ladder climb with leg lock (maybe).

Wear a b.a set and a crawl maybe .
    Equipment carry .

Retained usually do step test (easier)

Tintin8 wrote: »
    Fulltime brigades usually do beep test .flexibility, body fat & a grip test.

And the work related tests are ladder climb with leg lock (maybe).

Wear a b.a set and a crawl maybe .

Retained usually do step test (easier)

The Ladder climb, extension and BA crawl are still there but the new tests are now mostly the norm. DFB did them for their last two intakes, Firefighter and Emergency Controllers. The UK have been doing them for a while now. That's where they came from. I think it is supposed to provide a more accurate assessment of a potential recruits fitness levels.

Retained have had to, in the past, do the exact same test as their wholetime counterparts, well in Dublin anyway.

• Advertisement

This is the test you will be expected to do.

Drag a hose reel from an appliance for 25 metres, then jog back 25 metres.
    Pick up and carry 2 coiled 70 mm hoses for 100 metres.
    Carry 1 coiled 70 mm hose at chest height for 25 metres, and then jog back 75 metres.
    Pick up and carry a 2.4 metre suction hose and basket strainer for 100 metres, then jog back 100 metres.
    Pick up and carry a simulated ‘Light Portable Pump’ for 100 metres (weighing approximately 30kgs)

All to be done in 5 mins more or less.

It is all part of the UK Firefighter Physical Tests that are beginning to be adopted here. The complete test is available on line.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

That's a bummer that the hr department aren't just letting people know straight up when they call, why would that be? Safo, can I ask how you know all this?

Simona1986 wrote: »
    That's a bummer that the hr department aren't just letting people know straight up when they call, why would that be? Safo, can I ask how you know all this?
    I'm afraid I can't really tell you why I know all this as I probably shouldn't be getting involved in the forum. I only got involved because I just don't like to see people getting their hopes up for no reason.

I know how eager people are to join the fire service but unfortunately only a few are lucky enough to get in.

My advice to you all is to never give up trying and keep preparing yourself for the next opportunity. Go for any position that has an aptitude test as part of the recruitment process.

Join a voluntary organisation or just do voluntary work for a charity. Do a First Responder or an EMT course. Research how to do competency based interviews. The standard of applicants for jobs of this type is absolutely outstanding so start now and be ready for the next opportunity that arises.

But most of all have an alternative career just in case it doesn't work out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Bingo. Nailed it in one, this guy knows what he's talking about. Best of luck to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭big.left90

I'm afraid I can't really tell you why I know all this as I probably shouldn't be getting involved in the forum. I only got involved because I just don't like to see people getting their hopes up for no reason.

I know how eager people are to join the fire service but unfortunately only a few are lucky enough to get in.

My advice to you all is to never give up trying and keep preparing yourself for the next opportunity. Go for any position that has an aptitude test as part of the recruitment process.

Join a voluntary organisation or just do voluntary work for a charity. Do a First Responder or an EMT course. Research how to do competency based interviews. The standard of applicants for jobs of this type is absolutely outstanding so start now and be ready for the next opportunity that arises.

But most of all have an alternative career just in case it doesn't work out for you.

Cheers for that SAFO, I'm 25 now and I'm going to apply for the ASU, the airport fire service is my dream job, do you reckon there'd be another recruitment on the next few years ?

• Advertisement

big.left90 wrote: »
    Cheers for that SAFO, I'm 25 now and I'm going to apply for the ASU, the airport fire service is my dream job, do you reckon there'd be another recruitment on the next few years ?

If they make a panel you'll be waiting 4/5 years at least

DFB apparently have a load of retirement next year so they'll be your next chance Id say.

Unless you're interested in limerick who are recruiting this year

If they make a panel you'll be waiting 4/5 years at least

DFB apparently have a load of retirement next year so they'll be your next chance Id say.

Unless you're interested in limerick who are recruiting this year

Yes that's correct. It will be at least 5 years before there is recruitment in the Airport Fire Service again. The DFB are down 69 at the moment, and with a lot of the guys who joined after the Stardust Tragedy due to go over the next few years, something will happen there I expect. I would say probably within 2 years, that is of course that this Keeping Communities Safe Initiative does not result in a loss of firefighter positions in DFB. But the recession is apparently over so recruitment should hopefully begin again.

Why not consider joining the retained fire service? Some of them are very busy stations and you would pick up a lot of firefighting and RTC experience. A lot of people are doing this and some are even going to the UK.

Best of luck in whatever you do decide to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭bono_v

Yes that's correct. It will be at least 5 years before there is recruitment in the Airport Fire Service again. The DFB are down 69 at the moment, and with a lot of the guys who joined after the Stardust Tragedy due to go over the next few years, something will happen there I expect. I would say probably within 2 years, that is of course that this Keeping Communities Safe Initiative does not result in a loss of firefighter positions in DFB. But the recession is apparently over so recruitment should hopefully begin again.

Why not consider joining the retained fire service? Some of them are very busy stations and you would pick up a lot of firefighting and RTC experience. A lot of people are doing this and some are even going to the UK.

Best of luck in whatever you do decide to do.

Safo,
    From what I've heard they are planning on taking on 15 for recruit training and putting 15 onto a panel.
    Do you think they will use that panel?

bono_v wrote: »
    Safo,
    From what I've heard they are planning on taking on 15 for recruit training and putting 15 onto a panel.
    Do you think they will use that panel?
    The only number that is guaranteed is 10 but it is looking like there will 15 or slightly more taken on. As regards to the panel I believe that there will be 30 on it and I also believe that some of that panel will be taken on within a few years.

It is really hard to predict what way the numbers in the Airport are going to go in the next few years. Some lads want to retire and what not so the future is hard to predict.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Kidasa

Hi all, following this thread and most of the queries I had have been answered. One or two things somebody might be able to clear up....

i) Is there a detailed breakdown of what format the training is done in? i.e Week 1 = Health & Saftey and ticking boxes, week 2+3 = BA etc. etc....?

ii) Is there a compulsory pension scheme? If so, is this received upon retirement lump sum or weekly? Is it in addition to state pension?

iii) The €33,600 basic. Is there a night allowance paid extra similar to the way Gardai (monthly cheque) get paid or is it €33,600 flat until next increment?

So if the fitness starts next Monday some people should hear today !

• Registered Users Posts: 3 GroundLA

I've rang HR twice and heard nothing at all yet so I've given up hope of hearing anything. Good luck to whoevers still in, onto the next opportunity for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Savio11

GroundLA wrote: »
    I've rang HR twice and heard nothing at all yet so I've given up hope of hearing anything. Good luck to whoevers still in, onto the next opportunity for me!

I must say it's very bad stuff from them not to have emailed people by now, leaving people hanging is not very professional, this whole campaign has been very strange from the beginning, firstly people who have huge experience not getting aptitude tests, then peoe who clearly taut they aced the exam not getting interviews, and not still not knowing almost a month after the exams

I've my work related tests next Monday. Just received a call

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Kidasa

I've my work related tests next Monday. Just received a call

Do you know if all people interviewed are being tested or is there a few cut after the first interview stage?

• Advertisement

Kidasa wrote: »
    Do you know if all people interviewed are being tested or is there a few cut after the first interview stage?

No idea

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Got a PFO email an hour ago.

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Got a PFO email an hour ago.

A what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rocky911

A what?

Please F**k Off email ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭two4two

got a call myself. wed for me. delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Got my PFO also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rocky911

cruais wrote: »
    Got my PFO also

Sorry to hear lads, did you do the interview last week>

I wonder how many goig through to next week?

How many will be interviewed & when?

When will job offers be made?

Anyone have any inside info, SAFO?

I wonder how many goig through to next week?

How many will be interviewed & when?

When will job offers be made?

Anyone have any inside info, SAFO?

I would hazard a guess and say between last week in June and first week in August considering that the class starts on 4 August. There are just slightly over a hundred for the tests next week and they will finish on the 22 May so, I would guess interviews will begin 2nd week in June and go on for ten days or so.

Again that's just my guesstimate. Anyway I am sure all will be revealed next week. Considering the numbers remaining they are not bad odds for those who are left. Best of luck to all next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 smokie32

Got a call myself for next week.

Advertisement