Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport Fire Service

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭two4two

SAFO I presume you are some what affiliated with DAFS so thank you for clearing a few things up. It's nice to be set straight.

You mentioned earlier about the CPAT test that will be used and a quick Google comes back that that's the London Fire Brigade CPAT test but can you confirm if this is the exact test they are using as the DFB one is slightly different (slightly harder as you have to carry the coiled length at chest height for the full 100m - you also cannot drop any equipment at any stage). HR havn't supplied any information about the format at all.

Doing the CPAT test in full fire gear including helmet, boots and gloves is tougher than you would think! Iv done it to the DFB standards and it was a ballbuster to get in under 5 min :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Just got my PFO email there also...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Simona1986 wrote:
    Just got my PFO email there also...

So did oh well onwards and upwards, best of luck to everyone still involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LoughAllen1

No Word yet either way, if I don't get a call by tomorrow for the work related tests I'd say I'm out of the running.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Kidasa

No Word yet either way, if I don't get a call by tomorrow for the work related tests I'd say I'm out of the running.

Were you interviewed and no contact since or no contact since aptitude?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 LoughAllen1

Interviewed , but no word since.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Redders34

Got my pfo today good luck to everyone in the running

• Registered Users Posts: 44 SAFO

two4two wrote: »
    SAFO I presume you are some what affiliated with DAFS so thank you for clearing a few things up. It's nice to be set straight.

You mentioned earlier about the CPAT test that will be used and a quick Google comes back that that's the London Fire Brigade CPAT test but can you confirm if this is the exact test they are using as the DFB one is slightly different (slightly harder as you have to carry the coiled length at chest height for the full 100m - you also cannot drop any equipment at any stage). HR havn't supplied any information about the format at all.

Doing the CPAT test in full fire gear including helmet, boots and gloves is tougher than you would think! Iv done it to the DFB standards and it was a ballbuster to get in under 5 min :-/

As far as I'm aware the test is being run to the standard I referred to in a previous post but I will inquire about it and post the exact format if I can.

SAFO wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware the test is being run to the standard I referred to in a previous post but I will inquire about it and post the exact format if I can.

Thank you.

Do you happen to know what they are using to replicate the 30kg portable pump?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 DeltaDelta

Search for 'Laois County Fire & Rescue Selection Tests' on YouTube. This should give you an example of what to expect. The BA part will be different I imagine.

• Advertisement

DeltaDelta wrote: »
    Search for 'Laois County Fire & Rescue Selection Tests' on YouTube. This should give you an example of what to expect. The BA part will be different I imagine.

I have been trying to find this video but couldn't remember what fire service it was!

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Tintin8

Anyone know when the tests finish next week? Are they Monday to Friday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Eamon336

I am up the week after next, 10 days from now!

Eamon336 wrote: »
    I am up the week after next, 10 days from now!

Ye actually I read back over a few posts and apparently they finish the 22nd.

Still lots of lads left in competition so

Any idea on how many numbers were interviewed for the first interview? I heard that 160 were interviewed from an original 2500 that applied? Any truth in this?

110 left in the process, I am ASU and there are 6 of us still in it

Well done on getting to the next stage and the very best of luck with it. That would make my numbers somewhat right, give or take a few.

Recruitment have also intimated that at least 50% of the intake will be from existing DAA staff and that the course will start on the Tuesday after the August bank holiday.

There are also a few PDF guys, some from DFB and a million retained guys in for this too so good luck to everyone involved, to get this far you have to be awesome!

From what I hear from the guys at the Fire Station the competition standard is very very high for these jobs so it will be the best of the best getting through, make no mistake about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭thatboy

Eamon336 wrote: »

There are also a few PDF guys, some from DFB and a million retained guys

Well don guys. Interesting to see guys from DFB going. Sign of the times?

thatboy wrote: »
    Well don guys. Interesting to see guys from DFB going. Sign of the times?

Ye why would someone from DFB take the job? Go back to €33,000 a year from a lot more.

Sure a guy in DFB 4/5 years earns €50,000

Find that hard to believe but we will see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 TTL2015

Heard from someone in the dfb that at full pay the airport on 10 grand more a year. That's why they going for it I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

two4two wrote: »
    I have been trying to find this video but couldn't remember what fire service it was!

Cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=476aXMwjp0k&index=7&list=FLtdYp7dZ-uNfSMduA4_-tiQ

TTL2015 wrote: »
    Heard from someone in the dfb that at full pay the airport on 10 grand more a year. That's why they going for it I would say.

Ok that's reasonable but whoever it is will have to go back to recruits wages, lose there DFB pension and start a new DAA pension . Sounds mad to me. Considering DFB havnt had a open recruitment in years whoever it is will take a massive pay cut because they're probably in DFB years.

Unless it's someone from the recent internal DFB intake I just can't understand why they'd want to lose all the increments in DFB and their pension .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭thatboy

Tintin8 wrote: »
    Ok that's reasonable but whoever it is will have to go back to recruits wages, lose there DFB pension and start a new DAA pension . Sounds mad to me. Considering DFB havnt had a open recruitment in years whoever it is will take a massive pay cut because they're probably in DFB years.

Unless it's someone from the recent internal DFB intake I just can't understand why they'd want to lose all the increments in DFB and their pension .

Could be from DFB control room?

thatboy wrote: »
    Could be from DFB control room?

Ye easily could be.

Doesn't make sense for a fulltime experienced lad from DFB to take such a wage/pension cut .

Tintin8 wrote: »
    Ye easily could be.

Doesn't make sense for a fulltime experienced lad from DFB to take such a wage/pension cut .

Work until 65 with DAA and only 58 with DFB so multiply a years wage x 7 you'd be €250,000+ better off.

That is my understanding anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭bono_v

DFB would be still potentially be on alot more money given the fact OT is in abundance at double pay And Sunday allowance and shift pay.
    Is this true about 50% being taken on internally? That leaves 15 places on the panel for external candidates? And I wouldn't hold out much hope of the second half of the panel ever being used. Id say if you don't get the start date for August you won't be starting at all.

bono_v wrote: »
    DFB would be still potentially be on alot more money given the fact OT is in abundance at double pay And Sunday allowance and shift pay.
    Is this true about 50% being taken on internally? That leaves 15 places on the panel for external candidates? And I wouldn't hold out much hope of the second half of the panel ever being used. Id say if you don't get the start date for August you won't be starting at all.

I'd be interested to find out if the 50% mentioned was 50% of the jobs starting August or 50% including panel.

Not to sure about where the DFB guys work, I met one in recent days at work who was on his way on holidays and he was a paramedic, do they work in the control room?

The Firefighters at the station are giving us most of the info, but they are being kept in the dark too, we have worked together for a number of years and I think recruitment are keeping it fairly tight because of that.

Here is an interesting point, SAFO feel free to input on this, there will almost certainly be a second course from the panel using most of the remainder if not all in the next 12-24 months owing to retirements, lots of the older guys want out from what I hear.

I think the competition is tough on this as I have said before, I don't even know if the ASU guys and girls will get through either, there are no favours being done at this end and there are still a fair few from other areas of DAA still in this process!

• Advertisement

Kidasa wrote: »
    Work until 65 with DAA and only 58 with DFB so multiply a years wage x 7 you'd be €250,000+ better off.

That is my understanding anyhow.

But you finish on a pension at 55/58 in the fulltime DFB ?

Whoever it is will lose everything pension/increments wise plus why would u want to work till 65 if u can retire earlier haha

And be a probationer again ha

Anyway who cares really. If it's true. They have their reason.

Advertisement