Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

need more

I thought his transformation into "Saul" at the last minute was too sudden. I was curious how Chuck or HMMG would **** him over one last time to turn him over to the darkside. I was let down.

A decent TV show with a few very good episodes. People saying it is better than Breaking Bad last week are really overreaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Unearthly

:confused:

He is Saul now, that was the whole point of the last episode.

i obviously meant his business, obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Ah, I was disappointed in that finale.

Last episode, Chuck shit all over him and made him out to be a worthless lawyer. He then revisits his old life and found it to be a fun, but ultimately empty existence. He gets the call that could finally propell him to success, thus proving Chuck wrong and he doesn't take it?? Why??

I really didn't understand his motivations at all by the end of the episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 RobbieHawkins

Any guesses on when season 2 will begin?

Also Ernesto reminds me of a young Gustavo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Ah, I was disappointed in that finale.

Last episode, Chuck shit all over him and made him out to be a worthless lawyer. He then revisits his old life and found it to be a fun, but ultimately empty existence. He gets the call that could finally propell him to success, thus proving Chuck wrong and he doesn't take it?? Why??

I really didn't understand his motivations at all by the end of the episode.

He finally realized at the end of the episode that he is really just a shyster and that is his true calling in life is to be both a conman and a lawyer.He can now have a fun life with a purpose also by setting up his own practice and living by his own rules.

If he stayed at a reputable firm the stuffiness of it would get to him and he wouldn't be able to resist the temptation to do something dodgy.He's finally realized as well that Chuck was right all along about him and there is no point trying to prove him wrong as he would be living a lie if he did that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

^ did I just leave the bones of a million quid behind because I wanted to be a good guy. Only to be shafted by my holier-than-thou brother who even my scumbag best pal from the gutter could see through.

Last million I leave without a loving owner.

His logic is undefeatable.

He finally realized at the end of the episode that he is really just a shyster and that is his true calling in life is to be both a conman and a lawyer.He can now have a fun life with a purpose also by setting up his own practice and living by his own rules.

If he stayed at a reputable firm the stuffiness of it would get to him and he wouldn't be able to resist the temptation to do something dodgy.He's finally realized as well that Chuck was right all along about him and there is no point trying to prove him wrong as he would be living a lie if he did that.

But the fact he was so stung by Chuck's belittlement last week, even having brought his firm such a valuable class action suit, doesn't really tally with what he was chasing this whole season - validation that he was actually a damn good lawyer. I'm just not sure why, when eventually given the chance to show Chuck how wrong he was about him, he threw it away to become Slippin' Saul.

It was just a complete 360 from the character he's been painted as this whole season and it felt rushed and confused at the end. I'm still looking forward to seeing his transformation in season two, but I still feel this episode didn't explain his motivation well enough right at the very end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I really enjoyed this first season, there were a few mediocre episodes but I watched them all in two sittings, looking forward to season 2..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

I really enjoyed the first series...i presume there will be five seasons? Fairly interesting where did this could go

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

But the fact he was so stung by Chuck's belittlement last week, even having brought his firm such a valuable class action suit, doesn't really tally with what he was chasing this whole season - validation that he was actually a damn good lawyer. I'm just not sure why, when eventually given the chance to show Chuck how wrong he was about him, he threw it away to become Slippin' Saul.

It was just a complete 360 from the character he's been painted as this whole season and it felt rushed and confused at the end. I'm still looking forward to seeing his transformation in season two, but I still feel this episode didn't explain his motivation well enough right at the very end.

But he proves in the future that he is a very good lawyer just not a very straight laced one.There is no pointing proving Chuck to be wrong because the truth is Chuck was 100% correct about him and he would only be taking the job to prove something that isn't actually true.

The character he was trying to be all along was a lie so the u turn he has now done is where he should have been all along. He tried to be good as it is human nature to try and be good and keep in with our family but the pretence has been wearing him down and not worth it anymore, as he not going to gain anything from keeping in Chucks good books as Chuck has him worked out.

Bowlardo wrote: »
    I really enjoyed the first series...i presume there will be five seasons? Fairly interesting where did this could go

I wouldn't presume that at this stage! Entirely dependent on its popularity

But he proves in the future that he is a very good lawyer just not a very straight laced one.There is no pointing proving Chuck to be wrong because the truth is Chuck was 100% correct about him and he would only be taking the job to prove something that isn't actually true.

The character he was trying to be all along was a lie so the u turn he has now done is where he should have been all along. He tried to be good as it is human nature to try and be good and keep in with our family but the pretence has been wearing him down and not worth it anymore, as he not going to gain anything from keeping in Chucks good books as Chuck has him worked out.

I guess there's a parallel there with Walt's journey in BB - trying to be the good family guy, but letting the dark side eventually take over.

I still think the journey felt way too rushed here, though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

It was a lil underwhelming, but pretty crystal clear Saul was born and also why. Yes he wanted to be a successful lawyer, but between Chuck last week and his old mate this week he decided he wanted to do it his own way, using his lawyer skills and his slipping jimmy skills! The little rub of Marco's ring as he walked towards a straight laced life, and boom! Saul is born.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭bren2001

I guess there's a parallel there with Walt's journey in BB - trying to be the good family guy, but letting the dark side eventually take over.

I still think the journey felt way too rushed here, though!

I don't see how it was way too rushed. It was gradually done over the entire series. He starts his life as Slippin' Jimmy who is jailed and almost put down as a sex offender. Chuck steps in and saves him in more way than one. From that point on, Jimmy feels like he is proving himself to Chuck. He gets his law degree, starts to build a reputable business all to impress his brother. Episode 9 showed him that this was never going to happen, he would never earn Chucks approval and that kills him. He goes back home for a few days and has some fun. Its there he realises that he was living his life the way other people wanted him too and not the way that makes him happy. Saul was reborn in Chicago, not in the final scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

As far as the episode, if this was a new show that would be a meh finale but being that we know what he becomes, it was great. He's officially Saul now....the show is about Saul's birth basically....not sure what there is to complain about.

Oh and he's still wearing the ring in his first appearance in "Breaking Bad":

ring_zpso5ppido3.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

As far as the episode, if this was a new show that would be a meh finale but being that we know what he becomes, it was great. He's officially Saul now....the show is about Saul's birth basically....not sure what there is to complain about.

Oh and he's still wearing the ring in his first appearance in "Breaking Bad":

....you'd make an easy mark:cool:. He has a drawer full of signet rings / passports/ Rolex / and a handbag for the lady. If the original was ever worth a few bob, it's long pawned.

MEMO: Never buy second hand jewellery at funeral of known con artist.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

A little bit underwhelming as a series finale. But as a whole, the first series was pretty excellent.
    They handled the death of the fat guy badly though. They signaled his heart attack from the word go. It would have been much better if he had just died, without all the signifying lead up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Disappointing ending to a great first season, thought
    the death of Marco
    was very cheesy.
    Had low expectations coming in but was hugely impressed, much better first season than BB. Really looking forward to season 2

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

Good episode, disappointing as a finale. Did I hear Jimmy correctly in the bingo hall - his ex wife (Kim?) cheated on him with Chuck?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Thought quality-wise it was a huge stepdown from the the momentum it gained in the last few episodes but more than enough in the first series to say it will hit similar heights to BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,276 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Agree with those who say slightly underwhelming for a season finale.

I wonder what happens with the Sand Piper case eventually? We can safely assume Saul never gets rich of it.

Enjoyed the coin scam.

Why he would turn down the chance of a partnership is a little bewildering to me. Okay, so he regrets not keeping the money, but why on earth turn down such a position as a result? Its not like he has a readymade mob family, with better pay, to work for right now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I really enjoyed it. He could have gone in and done the sensible thing, but then doing the sensible and good thing has given him zilch. He still ended up getting screwed over. I think the journey back to slippin Jimmy was a little reminder of what he can be like, after the last few EPs showing him all nice and good. Best of all he let Mike in on his ambitions! Sets it all up nicely I think :D

noodler wrote: »
    Why he would turn down the chance of a partnership is a little bewildering to me. Okay, so he regrets not keeping the money, but why on earth turn down such a position as a result? Its not like he has a readymade mob family, with better pay, to work for right now?

Because deep down Jimmy's little more than a scam artist and he knows it.

Tony EH wrote: »

Thats a bit too broad strokes generalistic to be an answer for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Because he has no interest whatsoever in such a position deep down. He enjoys the shady lifestyle and his trip back home reminded him of that. I think he also believes that he can make more money in the long run being dodgy, at least thats what I took from his reference to the 1.6 million he could have taken with Mike.

Thats a bit too broad strokes generalistic to be an answer for me.

He's 'Slippin' Jimmy' and always will be. To me that was the point of the last episode. He easily returns to his previous scamming lifestyle, because that's who he is. He's not a partner in a legitimate law firm, he's a chancer.

A chancer that's going to now use the law as a method for his scams.

Because he has no interest whatsoever in such a position deep down. He enjoys the shady lifestyle and his trip back home reminded him of that. I think he also believes that he can make more money in the long run being dodgy, at least thats what I took from his reference to the 1.6 million he could have taken with Mike.

But 'Deep down' he worked his ass off to get a degree, pass the bar, work in elder law, discover the class action suit etc - Very difficult to argue he has no interest in the position deep down.

We are supposed to believe that Chuck's betrayal has pushed him over the edge but it seems confusing that he has a chance of everything he worked so hard for with the rival firm and is bottling it.

He's 'Slippin' Jimmy' and always will be. To me that was the point of the last episode. He easily returns to his previous scamming lifestyle, because that's who he is. He's not a partner in a legitimate law firm, he's a chancer.

A chancer that's going to now use the law as a method for his scams.

I wish people would stop quoting the bitter ramblings of Chuck and using "cos he's Slippin Jimmy' as a catch-all explanation!

Chuck's motivations for saying it were bitter and twisted.

It would be as easy to say that he is a reformed character whose betrayal by his brother ultimately knocked him back into a a shady life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I don't get why people are having such difficulty understanding the path he took.

First, yes, the slipping Jimmy, not just cos of Chuck, but cos of who he is. We have seen it from the word go. He's hardly straight laced! This last episode just nailed it home, his lil week with Marco reliving the GOOD TIMES!

Secondly, he is not throwing all that hard work away. He is merely combining it with his other lifestyle. We all know he goes on to be Saul, so he utilizes the law stuff and ties it in with his shady side.

Finally, it's like he has walked away from a billion dollar fee the way some of you are reacting. He had a possible job with this other firm, there was still loads of work ahead of him to even get the job, brown nosing, etc. It was not a done deal.

I didn't think it could be any clearer and much more obvious. Were we all watching the same 10 episodes?:confused:

Advertisement