Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

Not sure what to make of that, bit all over the place imo. The Costner reference was funny though :)

:eek:

K3yaOVu.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

Ooh just found this

zpKWzKk.png

It got me thinking about Jimmy's car, the neutral yellow with one red door, hinting at the route he's going to end up going down. Also, the final song, smoke on the water, was by none other than Deep Purple! ...Saul's coming :D

Loved the shot of Jimmy facing east at the end too, did anyone catch it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Bit disappointed in that episode now. It was all a bit... schmaltzy. Like a lesser TV show.
    Like his eager, loyal, pupp-dog con friend dying in his arms saying he'd had the best week ever. Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,823 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Well hello there, Saul.

I liked that episode. I liked the trip part with Marco. I thought it was very well put together!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Was that the finale?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Was that the finale?
    season finale yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Was reading speculation about some more BB characters making an appearance in the last episode. I'm not too disappointed it'd didn't pan out that way. You definitely don't want it to turn into the Breaking Bad Variety Hour: fresh-faced teenage Jesse antagonises well-meaning physics teacher Mr. White while aspiring conert pianist Skinny Pete is lead astray by a 4-ft-nothing pre-growthspurt Badger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Have to say i did enjoy the two lads getting up to their con jobs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

After last week's would have been tough to reach the same highs. I was very apprehensive about this show before it aired but it has been an excellent first season and will I look forward to season 2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Ah, those pre-smartphone days, eh? If Jimmy were to pull that "Kennedy dollar" trick in 2015 anyone within earshot would instantly check Wiki or whatever & call BS on him. Also, great to finally find out what that sunroof thing was about!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Enjoyed the series...that last episode was...ok. There was a real lack of tension as everything was kinda wrapped up before this episode. There was no reason to care for most of it other than how he might become Saul again...which he found out at the end.

In comparison the final episode of each Breaking Bad season was full of tension.

Still a few questions not covered yet; such as what is the full extent of his relationship with Kim...why did they break up, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭bren2001

Really enjoyed the final episode of the season. It was nice to meet Slippin' Jimmy again and see him revisit his hometown. We never really had the catalyst to see how Saul is born but Marco dying coupling with him accepting he will never live up to Chucks standards makes sense.
    In comparison the final episode of each Breaking Bad season was full of tension.

Still a few questions not covered yet; such as what is the full extent of his relationship with Kim...why did they break up, etc.

I don't know if I would fully agree with that:

All BB spoilers.
    Season 1: 2nd last was the explosion at Tucos, final is them stealing meth from the warehouse.

Season 2: 2nd last was Jane's death. Final was just the aftermath.

Season 4: 2nd last was the car bomb (that was so so nervy) final was his face getting blown off. Both were as nervous as each other.

Season 5.1: 2nd last was the death of Mike. Last was Hank figuring it all out, there was no tension in that episode really.

While some of the finales there were filled with tension, at least half, the big reveal occurred in the second last

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Unearthly

underwhelming first season.

expecting to get jumped on by the breaking bad fanboys but felt it has been average so far

• Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Unearthly wrote: »
    underwhelming first season.

expecting to get jumped on by the breaking bad fanboys but felt it has been average so far

What were you expecting?

I kept my expectations low and was pleasantly surprised by how good it was, if it was a carbon copy of BB people would probably be complaining about it being unrealistic. The realness of the characters is very good and it was a grounded first season before all the ridiculously criminal things that are sure to come next season and beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Enjoyed the series...that last episode was...ok. There was a real lack of tension as everything was kinda wrapped up before this episode. There was no reason to care for most of it other than how he might become Saul again...which he found out at the end.

My guess would be they met in the mailroom but as HHM put Kim through college she got the office job and Jimmy didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Custardpi wrote: »
    Ah, those pre-smartphone days, eh? If Jimmy were to pull that "Kennedy dollar" trick in 2015 anyone within earshot would instantly check Wiki or whatever & call BS on him. Also, great to finally find out what that sunroof thing was about!

Kennedy dollar story is true. So are the existence of loose Penny Blacks and phantom Vermeers, The odds of the real deal being produced in a pub in front of you are slim to double lottery odds.
    If such a thing does occur before your eyes...walk out, take a deep breathe and ask "would my mother believe this ?".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

I honestly don't know what to make of it.
    It wasn't bad, but parts of the series like the bingo part of ep 10, was far too drawn out and to me ( call me a philistine) unnecessary.

I love the idea and I'll def be looking forward to season 2, but I'm hoping for a faster pace.

For me, 2 great episodes and 8 underwhelming ones.

Kennedy dollar story is true. So are the existence of loose Penny Blacks and phantom Vermeers, The odds of the real deal being produced in a pub in front of you are slim to double lottery odds.
    If such a thing does occur before your eyes...walk out, take a deep breathe and ask "would my mother believe this ?".

The story itself might be true but being able to check the internet would give one a better idea of the likelihood of the seller being honest. It would also give images of the real coins which could be checked against Jimmy's.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Liam O wrote: »
    What were you expecting?

I kept my expectations low and was pleasantly surprised by how good it was, if it was a carbon copy of BB people would probably be complaining about it being unrealistic. The realness of the characters is very good and it was a grounded first season before all the ridiculously criminal things that are sure to come next season and beyond.

I actually thought it was going to be more comedy driven (and I thought it would be rubbish) so my expectations were low. Enjoyed the first few episodes as the acting, cinematography etc is excellent so I was willing to be patient

But I felt it lacked an over all story arc. I know it's supposed to show him go towards the Saul character but I honestly didn't think by the end of first season he wouldn't be Saul yet.

I really enjoyed the episode about Mike, and episode 9. I've no issue with TV shows being slow, as neither of those episodes were fast, but a lot of episodes were not that entertaining

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Unearthly wrote: »
    I know it's supposed to show him go towards the Saul character but I honestly didn't think by the end of first season he wouldn't be Saul yet.

:confused:

He is Saul now, that was the whole point of the last episode.

• Advertisement

Just trying to figure out, if he has walked away from the potential new job with the partner law firm does he still get to keep the $20k finders fee for the Sandpiper case & the 20% share at the end?

Just trying to figure out, if he has walked away from the potential new job with the partner law firm does he still get to keep the $20k finders fee for the Sandpiper case & the 20% share at the end?

He would yeah.

What's his plan now though? I think the last episode would have been better if he was caught up with Mike and all those other gangsters. They gave him an offer to get involved which he initially turns down but later changes his mind when given a choice between going straight or being slippy jimmy again.

Instead he is left with nowhere to go. Obviously something will happen with Mike but I think it would have been nice to tie everything up with them beginning to work together.

He sold the case to HHM who then decided to pair with the new company. That company were then planning to hire him, nothing to do with his deal from HHM.

bren2001 wrote: »
    He sold the case to HHM who then decided to pair with the new company. That company were then planning to hire him, nothing to do with his deal from HHM.

Yeah that's what I understood alright, thanks for confirming. If that's the case, does that mean that in the BB timeline he's potentially still waiting for a multimillion dollar payout? Cases like the Sandpiper one can take many years to settle, can't they? Or does something go awry? Can't wait for next season!

Yeah that's what I understood alright, thanks for confirming. If that's the case, does that mean that in the BB timeline he's potentially still waiting for a multimillion dollar payout? Cases like the Sandpiper one can take many years to settle, can't they? Or does something go awry? Can't wait for next season!

Its 20% of legal fees....don't think it would be multimillion....maybe a few hundred thousand.

Those cases can take several years to settle but not that long. As Chuck said, the clients still have to be alive so I assume it is settled by the time BB comes around. He might get 20% or there might be a twist in that, we will have to wait till season 2 to find that one out.

He is not longer Saint Jimmy and in a world where Chuck is God sitting in judgement. As it stands Belize is merely a word used to stand in for B when tired of Bingo.
    The episode proved this is a man who has grown tired of short-order cons, and being a Good Guy. He still has a few wills to tank, maybe a body or two to drop all by himself before we see Saul (who never was that bad at all *).

* although I'm getting tired of bring Hewl sandwiches, and wish Saul would just own up and be a man about the whole waiting around forever thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

And thus was born a legend. The King is Dead, Long Live the King.

Jimmy McGill is now dead and buried. Saul Goodman has now risen. And is there a better rock riff than "Smoke On The Water"?

And thus was born a legend. The King is Dead, Long Live the King.

Jimmy McGill is now dead and buried. Saul Goodman has now risen. And is there a better rock riff than "Smoke On The Water"?

Yes..."Crosstown Traffic"
    "Hellhound On My Trail"
    "Road To Nowhere". (keyboards but apt).
    ......to name but three

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Really good final episode.The weight of trying to be a decent guy when he really is as crooked as the day is long has finally been lifted from his shoulders.Saul finally seems happy now.

It'll be interesting to see will any of the characters apart from Mike be back for the second season.

Advertisement