Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some of Todays Wrestling News and Rumours (Possible spoilers) ***NO CHAT***

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Just saw that guy who was nicked by the English Police was allegedly the uploader "Sir Paul".

Ah.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I actually love the fact that Reigns said that. I'd prefer that to the standard Cena line about how he loves the energy of the people, including the ones who hate him. That was always hokey to me. If Reigns came out with a line like that he would get flak from the IWC that he is turning into John Cena #2, so he's damned either way really.

I remember a promo around about '05 when the fans were starting to really noticeably turn on Cena and Cena did a promo where he said he fights for those that believe in him, and to those that didn't...they could kiss his ass. What way did the fans react? They cheered. Because that's a believable reaction. I wish Cena had kept that attitude instead of turning into Barney the Dinosaur, impervious to criticism.

Here's my take: I don't care if you're a babyface or not, if someone interrupts you and gives you flak, i.e. a stand-up comedian getting heckled, the response I want to see is a person standing up for themselves. In other words, dishing out what they're getting back.

Also when you factor in that the WWE may very well be contemplating a Reigns heel turn and an alliance with Heyman, I don't see it as an issue.

Good on him, I say. He's gonna get booed without a doubt at Mania so he may as well embrace the hate.

It's about the context though and how you say it.

You can say a line like that in such a way and it's obvious you're playing off the crowd.

Or, you can say it in such a way that you come across as an entitled, self absorbed twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Moneymaker wrote: »

It's all about control, and if you can take it.
    It's all about the debt, and if you can pay it.

Oh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

rovert wrote: »
    Just saw that guy who was nicked by the English Police was allegedly the uploader "Sir Paul".

Ah.

Yep, let's just say I came across that name plenty of times in the pre-WWE network days. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

You can say a line like that in such a way and it's obvious you're playing off the crowd.

Or, you can say it in such a way that you come across as an entitled, self absorbed twat.

If fans are willing to criticise Reigns, they have to be prepared to take it from him as well. If you can't take it, don't give it (abuse that is!)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

We need a Roman Reigns thread

• Registered Users Posts: 85,597 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Oops

How about a Mega Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

briany wrote: »
    Ultimately, wrestlers are entertainers. Entertainers with an athletic element but entertainers. If a fellow entertainer, like an actor or a musician, got chippy in an interview because people didn't like their work and vocal about it it would come off as whiny. Does that mean they can't stand up for themselves? Absolutely not, but when doing so they need to come out with something more effective than the old 'you don't know how hard it is' line, which is easily rebuked by saying 'you don't need to be a chef to know when something tastes like sh*t'. You need valid counter arguments otherwise you just make your critisms that much more justiable.

I disagree with this. I can see where you're coming from, of course. But entertainers always go up in my estimations if they project that they don't care really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

If fans are willing to criticise Reigns, they have to be prepared to take it from him as well. If you can't take it, don't give it (abuse that is!)

That's not how it works.

You don't criticise fans who have genuine issues with his push. Do I agree with fans chanting 'Daniel Bryan' at him? Not really, but you can argue its a legitimate way of airing a grievance and who you feel should be in that spot.

You wouldn't hear any decent football manager criticise his own fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

The fans are entitled to chant what they want (in theory). But what is Roman Reigns meant to do, is he meant to just stand there and not acknowledge that? It seems like he can't do anything right, especially with the fans who match our profile. I say fair play to him for standing up to the crowd. He doesn't need to be a white meat babyface if it isn't working.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The fans are entitled to chant what they want (in theory). But what is Roman Reigns meant to do, is he meant to just stand there and not acknowledge that? It seems like he can't do anything right, especially with the fans who match our profile. I say fair play to him for standing up to the crowd. He doesn't need to be a white meat babyface if it isn't working.

He needs to prove them wrong, not tell them to **** off.

Showing signs of wanting to improve his in ring ability, mic ability and being helped by proper booking, the crowd will warm to these sorts of things.

Telling them to shut up and enjoy it is only going to antagonize them and encourage sections to continue the abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

That's not how it works.

You don't criticise fans who have genuine issues with his push. Do I agree with fans chanting 'Daniel Bryan' at him? Not really, but you can argue its a legitimate way of airing a grievance and who you feel should be in that spot.

You wouldn't hear any decent football manager criticise his own fans.

Jose has done it multiple times this year

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/managers/jose-mourinho/11203575/Jose-Mourinho-Chelsea-fans-are-so-quiet-it-feels-like-we-are-playing-in-an-empty-stadium-at-Stamford-Bridge.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

I think I agree with both sides on this. While I'm happy he didn't give a Cena-like response, it's also an interview with a mainstream publication. If Roman Reigns is going to be the face of the company then criticising the people who put money into the company probably isn't the smartest thing in the world. Comments like that would be much better suited to the show itself and would give him some character; when they're made in public it just seems petty and unprofessional.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,579 ✭✭✭✭briany

I disagree with this. I can see where you're coming from, of course. But entertainers always go up in my estimations if they project that they don't care really.

I think the ones who say they don't care and can get away with it are the ones who let their work speak for itself, and it's good enough that the work in itself is a rebuttal. No matter what way you cut it, Reigns isn't really at that point and the WWE would seem to tacitly agree with this, looking at their recent, and very obvious almost corny, attempts to have top talent big him up like Heyman, Bryan and Henry. If Heyman can't even sell you to where you need to be, there's a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The paradoxical nature of most IWC fans though is that they are more likely to like and respect a guy for having the balls to effectively tell them to go f*ck themselves for dishing out their hate, than they are to warm to a guy like Cena who says, 'Hey I love that you guys are speaking your mind; that's what the WWE Universe is all about.' The latter example is total arse-kissing and it quite clearly hasn't helped a jot to get John Cena over with this section of the fanbase as he has been trotting out this stuff for a decade now and they still love to hate him.

Reigns knows full well the Mania and post-Mania crowd will sh*t all over him and treat him as the biggest heel on the card. There's no changing that now as the show is almost upon us. I welcome that he's just going to try and enjoy the moment as best he can and is basically thinking, f*ck the begrudgers. I wouldn't at all be surprised if The Rock is giving him such advice given he's experienced this sort of thing himself in the past.

Rock should know better than anyone that you can't push a guy on the audience and expect their familial connections to give them legitimacy.

Exhibit A

daddyrock101101.jpg

Exhibit B

Reigns.jpg

briany wrote: »
    Rock should know better than anyone that you can't push a guy on the audience and expect their familial connections to give them legitimacy.

True enough, and he also knows how to utilise negative energy from a crowd during a match as well as anyone has ever done. Check out the way he works the Summerslam '02 match when the crowd turns on him (funnily enough against Brock Lesnar). It's masterful how he not only refuses to let himself get flustered, but actually goes heel on the fans as the match wears on, at times dishing out abuse while he gets it thrown his way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

True enough, and he also knows how to utilise negative energy from a crowd during a match as well as anyone has ever done. Check out the way he works the Summerslam '02 match when the crowd turns on him (funnily enough against Brock Lesnar). It's masterful how he not only refuses to let himself get flustered, but actually goes heel on the fans as the match wears on, at times dishing out abuse while he gets it thrown his way.

He done the same against Hogan at WM18, brilliant to watch

Rock had carte blanche, almost, to do that when he was coming up as The Rock, though. And he had time to work at it, as well as having a stable to bounce off of in the Nation of Domination. That's where he really developed. By the time he hit that match you mention he knew what he was doing and then some. Roman had a great run in the Shield, but he didn't develop much as an actual personality. He was more the enforcer of the whole setup. Roman's had almost no development as a character since the Shield's breakup. He's still coming out to the same music, using the same gear and the same entrance. The other two have gone on to forge their own personalities a lot better. He's still feeding off the Shield's brand rather than forging his own which is quite worrying when you're talking about the guy main eventing Wrestlemania. The guy main eventing WM should be able to stand on his own two feet as a performer.

• Advertisement

This is only breaking but I have some genuinely tragic news. El Hijo del Perro Aguayo has passed away in hospital. Rey Mysterio in his Wrestling return at the AAA's Reyes de Reyes PPV dropkicked him, he hit the ropes and apparently suffering a brain hemorrhage immediately.

Rounds off a terrible week. On Tuesday the AAA tour bus crashed killing Irma Osorno, the coordinator for AAA.

The PPV was delayed twice due to first weather and then an adminstrative mess up.Rey de Reyes was originally set for Sunday night before being postponed until Monday, then finally Wednesday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

God, that's horrific.

EDIT: It shocking....you see all these crazy spots, and then it's the move that is so common, it's widely mocked for how stupid it is that ends up resulting in such a horrible accident :(

Rey did a double dropkick on Aguayo and Manik to set up a double 619. Aguayo hit the ropes wrong and was knocked out and never woke up. Either brain hemmorage or cervical spine trauma it seems.

It's still early days so clearer information will come out soon enough.

http://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/2zsjhi/mexican_wrestler_el_hijo_del_perro_aguayo_has_died/cplw52k

More detail from an authoritative source:
    http://www.luchaworld.com/?p=50910

https://twitter.com/MaskaraManik/status/579198925371891712

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Sweet Jesus that's awful! I mean you see the deathmatch crap and the crazy insane spots but to think a dropkick did this, it's unreal. Dreadful news!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

The video is very scary and hard to watch. What's shocking is the length of time it takes for anyone to properly check on him. The ref looks like he doesn't have a clue and the fact they done another 619 spot pretty much on top of him isn't a nice sight. If that was in wwe you'd imagine the doctors would be on him in an instant.

Obviously I watched the video with hindsight and have no idea how I'd react in the situation. Hope the guys who were in the ring aren't affected too much by it, and obviously thoughts with his family and friends

RIP

Some awful and inaccurate clickbait online
    CAoUEZhUkAIwuTp.png

Oh my God. I was only watching his match against Myzteziz the other day where he bled like crazy. The crowd loved him.

My heart goes out to his family, and to Rey as well. Awful news.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Terrible, and I feel so sorry for Rey too.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

rovert wrote: »
    Some awful and inaccurate clickbait online

That's libellous.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement