Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some of Todays Wrestling News and Rumours (Possible spoilers) ***NO CHAT***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,624 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just watched the video there.:( it looks so innocuous and its a spot rey has done so many times before. It's a horrible video to watch knowing what happened.

RIP

I hope this doesn't affect rey. He did nothing wrong as far as I can see. And I don't watch mexican wrestling but is kayfabe still in force down there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Just watched the video there.:( it looks so innocuous and its a spot rey has done so many times before. It's a horrible video to watch knowing what happened.

RIP

I hope this doesn't affect rey. He did nothing wrong as far as I can see. And I don't watch mexican wrestling but is kayfabe still in force down there ?
    Is it just me or does your man on the outside that bounces him of the ropes not look to be doing him more harm than anything, jesus looks awfull
    RIP

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

RIP, very sad to see, I feel terrible for Rey too, especially considering it's his first match in ages right? I think the worst part of seeing it is just how innocuous it seems, it's such a simple spot that you'd never expect that to happen and I guess no one did and that's why it takes so long to get help out there

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

How was the match not stopped? It seemed fairly evident the guy was non responsive. Tragic stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,624 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

How was the match not stopped? It seemed fairly evident the guy was non responsive. Tragic stuff.

That's why I asked about Kayfabe in my last post. In the wwe the match would have been stopped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Nice interview with the Seamstress of the WWE, Sandra Grey.

http://www.vice.com/read/meet-sandra-gray-the-veteran-seamstress-of-the-wwe-689

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Yeah it's bizarre. It's a good 90 seconds between his tag team partner noticing something is up (when he doesn't duck for the 619 and he tries to shake him to wake him up afterwards) and the paramedics coming out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

kwestfan08 wrote: »

If she's responsible for Natalya's current gear......kudos.

To be honest he just looked like he was selling and waiting for the rest to catch up. Once it was obvious something was wrong it was sorted. Still can't quite see what did the damage, ****ing tragic stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    That's why I asked about Kayfabe in my last post. In the wwe the match would have been stopped.
    Yeah it's bizarre. It's a good 90 seconds between his tag team partner noticing something is up (when he doesn't duck for the 619 and he tries to shake him to wake him up afterwards) and the paramedics coming out.

To be fair, WWE are in a different league to other promotions with that stuff. They have to be because of their size, any perceived failure to act would result in them being crucified.

It's harsh to put any kind of blame on people for freak accidents, but the ref should've jumped in quicker. That's something I see so often in indies these days (I know AAA are bigger than your average indie but still). Refs don't have to be trained paramedics or anything, but they should at least have the in-ring nous to see when something isn't a part of the show and be communicating that to all involved within seconds. It's why I don't agree with blooding trainees by making them refs. This is a freak accident so it's extremely unlikely the ref would've saved him given the extra few seconds, but still, it seemed like Mysterio realised, reacted and had copped it was serious enough to break kayfabe to check on him in the time it took the ref to start reacting at all.

Such a sad story anyway and unpreventable due to its unpredictability (unless something else comes to light in the aftermath). No need for a witch hunt or blame game, it's too serious for that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

kwestfan08 wrote: »

They messed up that story. Sandra was actually a WCW employee until the close of the company. Her twitter is gas as it is always revealing returns and stuff. Fans ask her what costumes she is working on and she just tells them.
    Like saying she is working on Lana's Wrestlemania outfit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Is Vince Russo working with Lucha Underground in some capacity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Read a report today that they may pair Bo Dallas with his brother bray. I like the idea

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

WWE's new advertising strategy:

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/wwe-nbc-team-up-to-grapple-with-madison-avenue-1201457851/

Notable is how WWE will have a slightly different approach in each quarter to please advertisers.
    NBCU and WWE will burnish four “tentpole” efforts that aim to provide advertisers something they can align their pitches with each quarter: a monthlong build-up to the WWE’s annual “WrestleMania” event; the “Slammys” award program, which will move from the fourth quarter to the first quarter to be more a part of awards season; a focus on fathers; and a theme centered on young fans.

I wonder if "a focus on fathers" means more adult-oriented storylines or more scantily clad women? :P

They also made a nice video.

[

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

ricero wrote: »
    Read a report today that they may pair Bo Dallas with his brother bray. I like the idea

Remember reading fan-booking at the time that Bo should have been a recruiter for the Cult of Bray; that he'd lure people in with the Super-Amazing stuff before leading the brainwashed into the Wyatts. Liked it then and think it could be interesting.

ricero wrote: »

No one reputable is reporting this. All I can find is the Inquistor reporting it.

Before Alberto Del Rio injured his leg he was going to kick box BILL GOLDBERG for GLORY on SPIKE TV in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

briany wrote: »
    I think the ones who say they don't care and can get away with it are the ones who let their work speak for itself, and it's good enough that the work in itself is a rebuttal. No matter what way you cut it, Reigns isn't really at that point and the WWE would seem to tacitly agree with this, looking at their recent, and very obvious almost corny, attempts to have top talent big him up like Heyman, Bryan and Henry. If Heyman can't even sell you to where you need to be, there's a problem.
    Sure he is where he needs to be. He's main eventing WrestleMania XXXI on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

rovert wrote: »
    Before Alberto Del Rio injured his leg he was going to kick box BILL GOLDBERG for GLORY on SPIKE TV in May.

btw, Spike Tv is apparently launching on the Sky package next month.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Is it not the UK only package, similar to ITV and Channel5? I know it can be manually tuned in but I don't think it'll be available on the IRL EPG.

• Advertisement

Does SPIKE still air wall to wall episodes of COPS? As I would be down with that. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,558 ✭✭✭✭briany

Sure he is where he needs to be. He's main eventing WrestleMania XXXI on Sunday.

If no one wants him there, you'd have to reconsider his 'needing' to be in the main event.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,347 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

http://fansided.com/2015/03/23/dolph-ziggler-wants-intercontinental-title-wrestlemania/

FanSided: At WrestleMania you are participating in the Ladder Match for the Intercontinental Title Match. The title has slowly becoming more and more relevant in the WWE over the last year. What does this match and this title mean to you and your career?

DZ: “I was a big fan of that white belt, I grew up loving those matches with Mr. Perfect, Ultimate Warrior, Shawn Michaels, Razor Ramon, all those guys. I loved that title, not only did it stand out, it meant that you were the next guy in next in line to be a huge star. This ladder match coming up has a bunch of hungry guys who are all one step away, one nudge in the right direction away from not only bringing prestige back to the title, making it mean what it used to, but also becoming a force in the WWE. Becoming that next top guy. This is going to define somebody’s career at WrestleMania and damnit, I hope it’s mine.”

FanSided: You did mention that the title did stand out in the past and this ladder match can rejuvenate what the history and past title holders meant. Does this give you any extra motivation to make this match something extra special?

DZ: “I don’t need the motivation for anything. I do love that the title is on the line, having it mean that much more in a ladder match where guys are going to be throwing themselves and putting their bodies on the line just to have a chance to grab at it. It’s going to mean something, hopefully one day it means to the WWE Universe, what it means to me.
    “These guys are going to pull out all the stops. Me being the guy who has to show up and set the bar, it’s going to be hard for me to keep it up there. But I promise you, I promise you, that match everyone knows is going to steal the show. That doesn’t matter to me, I need to come out as the champion, and come out the next day and let everyone know this is where you set the bar in sports entertainment.”

FanSided: You and Daniel Bryan were teasing a possible match a few weeks back with a little Twitter banter back in forth. Was that something that would have been just as special if you weren’t included in the ladder match?

DZ: “Absolutely. I was just pissed that I wasn’t in the Royal Rumble for a long time. I was very disappointed in my performance and I know he was. I know he had his sights set on winning that match, I did too. And I went: ‘You know what? Two guys with chips on their shoulders, with the entire crowd behind them… I want to go out there and not steal the show and shake hands and be your buddy. I want to go out there and beat the living hell out of each other and show people what the real main event can mean, without the story, without everyone behind it.’ Just showing you two guys that love it and the fans love them back, will beat the hell out of each other, and someone comes out on top. And I sure as hell wasn’t going out there to lose.”

FanSided: Social Media is a big part of professional wrestling and keeps growing each and every year. Many wrestlers like to stay in character and keep it going through social media. Do you think social media should be used as another tool to keep storylines going or is it something that you look at as place you can be yourself?

DZ: “Since that fourth wall has been broken open, we know it’s entertainment, we know it’s a show, we know guys are playing characters. It’s still wresting still some people still live their life as that character. I’m someone who has a life outside, who loves to throw jokes out there. I also think when I was a kid, if there was a chance to reach out to Shawn Michaels and say ‘hell of a match’ or ‘hey Ric Flair, I’m a big fan of yours’ and two seconds later they could write something back to me, that blows my mind.
    “There is good and there is bad. You got to be careful, people get in trouble on there because we are a publicly traded company, we are a PG company and you got to watch yourself and protect yourself. But also, any chance I can give back to these fans who have helped make my career, I do it. Also, it’s about having fun and trying out a joke, and if people aren’t going to talk about something, I’ll make sure I talk about it.”

FanSided: Comedy is kind of your forte on Twitter and your jokes get a lot positive response. When will we see a Dolph Ziggler Comedy Tour?

DZ: “Every couple of weeks I find a way to get four of five minutes on an open mic or show. Every show I’ve done, so far, has led to other shows and other bookings because not only they are surprised and say ‘oh, you’re good at it.’ I have worked at this for 20 years, I’ve been writing stuff, trying things out, running things by my writing partner, everything you can imagine. I’ve done the homework, just like in the WWE except I haven’t had the TV time comedically.
    “Slowly but surely that’s building up. This last year has been building relationships, being able to get on shows and having a nice back and forth to were they go, ‘oh, we can trust this guy with a couple of minutes.’ This year will define where I go

• Registered Users Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Riddle101

rovert wrote: »
    Does SPIKE still air wall to wall episodes of COPS? As I would be down with that. :P

Yes they do, I think it's their most popular show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭bradlente

Sure he is where he needs to be. He's main eventing WrestleMania press play button on Sunday.

fyp

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,352 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

LOLLESNARWINS :P

According to today's Bauer & Pollock podcast Fit Finlay's son David will be heading to New Japan Dojo soon.

Finlay can actually fill a decent niche with New Japan as he is on the short side and New Japan's other trainees Cody Hall and Jay White are so tall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

saw him work a few matches for wrestling.ie and he is good in the ring

• Advertisement

http://www.wwe.com/inside/abg-wwe-tapout
    NEW YORK AND STAMFORD, Conn., March 25, 2015 – WWE (NYSE: WWE) and Authentic Brands Group, LLC (ABG) today announced a joint venture for TapouT™, a newly repositioned fitness lifestyle brand. TapouT is now the official fitness and training partner of WWE, and will be integrated across WWE’s global platforms including TV programming, WWE Network, pay-per-view broadcasts, live events, digital and social media.

“TapouT was ABG’s first acquisition, and it continues to be a global brand with strong sales and blue chip partners all over the world. We have a very strong commitment to the brand’s ongoing success,” said Jamie Salter, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of ABG. “WWE is a media and entertainment force, and we are excited to partner with them on TapouT’s future growth.”

“WWE is always looking for new opportunities to partner with best-in-class organizations, develop new products for our fans and drive shareholder value,” said WWE Chairman & CEO Vince McMahon. “This joint venture aligns with our strategic approach, and we look forward to building the TapouT brand.”

As part of this strategic partnership, WWE will create new content featuring its Superstars and Divas in TapouT apparel and market the brand across all platforms. TapouT branding will also be featured at the WWE Performance Center in Orlando, Fla., and all performers, trainers and staff will be outfitted in TapouT workout apparel.

“WWE’s expansive reach provides a global platform to broaden TapouT’s presence and consumer base,” said Nick Woodhouse, President and Chief Marketing Officer of ABG. “This is a powerhouse pairing given the synergy between TapouT’s brand promise to be the premier hard-body fitness brand, and WWE’s commitment to training and fitness.”

“Combining ABG’s strengths in retail brand development, licensing and distribution with WWE’s marketing expertise, global reach and passionate fan base makes for a powerful partnership,” said Michelle D. Wilson, WWE Chief Revenue & Marketing Officer. “The TapouT brand will enable us to expand into new product categories and further grow our current $1 billion consumer product retail business.”

The next generation of TapouT preserves the original brand essence and drives a hard-body, fitness-centric message positioned around motivation, discipline and determination. An all new line of men’s and women’s performance apparel and accessories will launch at retail in Spring 2016. New TapouT branding and packaging will roll out in key categories throughout 2015 starting with beverages, supplements and fitness centers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement