Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some of Todays Wrestling News and Rumours (Possible spoilers) ***NO CHAT***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Big E is one of the most entertaining guys on the roster if he was to be "let of the leash", just look at some of his stuff from AJ's Wrestmania 29 diary.

Problem is that once he gets in the ring he becomes Big Meh, and will never be good enough to be placed in a big enough storyline for his personality to show through.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Big E is one of the most entertaining guys on the roster if he was to be "let of the leash", just look at some of his stuff from AJ's Wrestmania 29 diary.

Problem is that once he gets in the ring he becomes Big Meh, and will never be good enough to be placed in a big enough storyline for his personality to show through.

Did you see him in NXT? He was hugely over and the babyface character he did there with the 5 count could have easily gotten over on the main roster imo.

Instead they took away his badass music, turned him heel, and made him a statuesque goon.

WWE logic: if it ain't broke, what are we waiting for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭BohsJohnny

Couldn't disagree more I think he's a class power wrestler who when given even a small chance like the sprints with Rusev last year looked really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I think that The New Day could be so much more than they are right now and are great in promos.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

CAQ6W17UIAEg5A2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Olé!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

I will believe this when I see it.

WWE possibly keeping the title on Lesnar.

http://411mania.com/wrestling/wwe-considering-keeping-the-title-on-lesnar-possible-spoilers/

veganrun wrote: »

http://411mania.com/wrestling/wwe-considering-keeping-the-title-on-lesnar-possible-spoilers/

My friend Metsfan is taking a punt on this. WWE acknowledging Lesnar's contract is up after Wrestlemania and Heyman mentioning UFC on screen is probably a good sign he's staying.

Then again it is 2015 there are no secrets anymore with social media. There weren't many secrets back in 2004 with Lesnar and Goldberg. So why bother pretending the rumours don't exist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

rovert wrote: »
    My friend Metsfan is taking a punt on this. WWE acknowledging Lesnar's contract is up after Wrestlemania and Heyman mentioning UFC on screen is probably a good sign he's staying.

Then again it is 2015 there are no secrets anymore with social media. There weren't many secrets back in 2004 with Lesnar and Goldberg. So why bother pretending the rumours don't exist?

Logically, the plan in that link makes sense. I like the idea of Cena and Bryan getting the US and Intercontinental belts, giving them some prestige and elevating them. No-one seems to think Reigns is ready and capable of beating Lesnar so if Lesnar keeps the belt, they need other titles to keep the focus on. Lesnar really is the baddie at the very end of a video game that you have to beat. With the idea that you have to have got through a lot to reach him and you need to be really good to beat him.

I always used to feel that the IC champ was in training to become the WWE champ. Now I feel the IC belt is meaningless and it's on a rota system, same with the US title. Putting them on two top guys for a sustained period seems like a good idea imho. Plus they could do a unification match somewhere down the line.

• Advertisement

The IC/US title plan makes sense ahead of the European tour too.

WWE Live Events really need some type of boost or reform as attendences have been fairly poor.

Being silly but Dads attending shows with their children want to see or are impressed by three things in my experience: Divas, a giant or a really fat lad and a title match in the main event.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

rovert wrote: »
    I love the caption of the picture though "Randy Orton (tattoos) vs Christian (skin tight)"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

A British Wrestling Pirate? Was it...

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alexis Sanchez

Sparrow ???
    Sir Paul ???

Sir Paul, apparently. Someone on TorrentFreak, claiming to be his friend, said he was talking to him. Apparently, he was released and the cops smashed his computer up.

He logged on to XWT 3 hours ago but never posted anything.

Hmm. I don't have Sky Sports. I hope that my ability to watch the weekly shows is not effected. So will this guy receive a fine or a day in court for being caught with this stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

veganrun wrote: »

I would definitely believe the Triple H part of the story as Rollins is more his guy than Reigns, and he would probably like the idea of Rollins cashing in on Lesnar at some point.

So I could believe triple h wants that. But him convincing Vince would be another story.

That said Rollins has definitely been the focal point of Raw lately. It doesn't look to me like Reigns has been a big deal on TV. Maybe part of the reason is Lesnar isn't around much but even so the announcers haven't been pushing Reigns as much and he hasn't had many big angles.

Roman Reigns gave an interview to Rolling Stone and stuck his foot in his mouth again
    Q:What's your biggest goal at WrestleMania besides winning the belt?
    A:I just want to go out there and do my thing, and a lot of that is winning the WWE Championship. I can't stress enough how that title is everything for us. But for me, I would like to wake up and know, "Yeah, that was a five-star, you-can't-touch-that match." I'd like to be able to walk to the back thinking, "Can't one of y'all do that." If there's one thing I've shown, I'm not scared of physicality. I'm not scared to take some of my own blood. I play hurt, I play injured. I want people to take from that match that it was one of the most physical they've ever seen. That's something we're gonna be able to leave behind. When I said last night I was willing to be carried out, I wasn't joking.

Q:It seems like you're definitely learning from Paul Heyman. Does he inspire you to up your game?
    A:Yeah, but I've gotta say that about everybody. I'm always trying to lift the bar, because if I'm getting better, the whole product's getting better. It's all about competition in my eyes. Nobody wants to be in the middle of the ladder, so if we continue to push each other, have that competitor's spirit in the locker room, it's just going to be better for everybody.

Q:You shot back at the crowd last night. Is that something you're comfortable doing or have you been instructed to do that?
    A:That's just an instinct thing. That's not something you learn in a warehouse or people can tell you. If you're a Daniel Bryan fan, I'm all for that. The more people Daniel Bryan will bring into arenas, the better. The more people I bring in, the better. But when I'm talkin', shut the hell up and let me talk.

Q:You also had the "I Can. I Will." shirt last night. Is this new wrinkle in your character more of a natural fit than the silent mercenary?
    A:Yeah, it's my life right now. That's what I'm dealing with. It feels different, because it's different than anything I've ever done. Growing up, I've had plenty of obstacles, but to be honest, I didn't always have doubters. I was a standout athlete, so when that happens, you don't have too many people telling you "You can't do this," and "You can't do that." I've always been a bit of a people person and a hard worker. People saw that, people respected it. But the world we live in, the fans' opinions are so strong now, so for me, these are things I'm dealing with that I haven't always dealt with in my life. So for me, it's refreshing, and I enjoy it. Anything that's gonna keep you on your toes as a man and a performer is great.

Roman, let me give you a bit of advice. Unless you're a heel...STOP PISSING OFF THE FANS!

I doubt that interview will have much of an effect on what the average WWE fan thinks of Roman Reigns now.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,374 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Reigns is on Conan new week

• Advertisement

I doubt that interview will have much of an effect on what the average WWE fan thinks of Roman Reigns now.
    You'd be surprised. While I'm not looking forward to him vs Brock I've said before that he has the look and he clearly has talent, so he will be a multiple time world champion. He is still too green, not developed enough yet and his mic skills are terrible but they can be worked on. If he keeps saying stupid stuff like this though it will be hard to like him.

Look at Rollins and Ambrose. The way they conduct themselves in interviews is impeccable. They say absolutely nothing to annoy fans. Even Rollins, who definitely could because he is a heel, is extremely humble and a very good talker. Reigns is just coming across as a self-entitled prick who deserves what is being handed to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I actually love the fact that Reigns said that. I'd prefer that to the standard Cena line about how he loves the energy of the people, including the ones who hate him. That was always hokey to me. If Reigns came out with a line like that he would get flak from the IWC that he is turning into John Cena #2, so he's damned either way really.

I remember a promo around about '05 when the fans were starting to really noticeably turn on Cena and Cena did a promo where he said he fights for those that believe in him, and to those that didn't...they could kiss his ass. What way did the fans react? They cheered. Because that's a believable reaction. I wish Cena had kept that attitude instead of turning into Barney the Dinosaur, impervious to criticism.

Here's my take: I don't care if you're a babyface or not, if someone interrupts you and gives you flak, i.e. a stand-up comedian getting heckled, the response I want to see is a person standing up for themselves. In other words, dishing out what they're getting back.

Also when you factor in that the WWE may very well be contemplating a Reigns heel turn and an alliance with Heyman, I don't see it as an issue.

Good on him, I say. He's gonna get booed without a doubt at Mania so he may as well embrace the hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,560 ✭✭✭✭briany

Reigns is coming off as really píssy in a lot of the shootier interviews he's doing. How can we say for certain that it's not part of a slow burn set up to make him a hated heel and both he and WWE know exactly what they're doing in this regard? It seems like a pretty perfect set up. It's been done before (not intentionally, exactly) with the Rock for example.

It seems like the greatest start out as unpopular faces and the best faces start out as popular heels. Hogan, Austin, Rock, Foley, Angle, Cena etc all followed a similar arc on their way to popularity. Ultimately it comes down to being entertaining. You cannot, especially in this day and age, sidestep the gaining the fans' support.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I wish Cena had kept that attitude instead of turning into Barney the Dinosaur, impervious to criticism.

I would ****ing love if they did an episode of Barney where half the kids started telling him he sucked and he started waving towels in their face as his defence.

Good to see reigns showing a bit of attitude and he has a point.

We don't need John Cena mark 2.

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    You'd be surprised. While I'm not looking forward to him vs Brock I've said before that he has the look and he clearly has talent, so he will be a multiple time world champion. He is still too green, not developed enough yet and his mic skills are terrible but they can be worked on. If he keeps saying stupid stuff like this though it will be hard to like him.

Look at Rollins and Ambrose. The way they conduct themselves in interviews is impeccable. They say absolutely nothing to annoy fans. Even Rollins, who definitely could because he is a heel, is extremely humble and a very good talker. Reigns is just coming across as a self-entitled prick who deserves what is being handed to him.

Why does he have to not piss the audience off though? It's better if he sticks up for himself. I think the textbook view of what a face and heel should be is a bit tiresome.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,560 ✭✭✭✭briany

Why does he have to not piss the audience off though? It's better if he sticks up for himself. I think the textbook view of what a face and heel should be is a bit tiresome.

Ultimately, wrestlers are entertainers. Entertainers with an athletic element but entertainers. If a fellow entertainer, like an actor or a musician, got chippy in an interview because people didn't like their work and vocal about it it would come off as whiny. Does that mean they can't stand up for themselves? Absolutely not, but when doing so they need to come out with something more effective than the old 'you don't know how hard it is' line, which is easily rebuked by saying 'you don't need to be a chef to know when something tastes like sh*t'. You need valid counter arguments otherwise you just make your critisms that much more justiable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Good to see reigns showing a bit of attitude and he has a point.

We don't need John Cena mark 2.

Before long he'll be spearing the Easter Bunny, and assaulting the Authority with a truck load of Kool-Aid. You know like Steve Austin giving Santa the stunner and pouring beer over the Corporation.

I'd watch that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,019 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I actually love the fact that Reigns said that. I'd prefer that to the standard Cena line about how he loves the energy of the people, including the ones who hate him. That was always hokey to me. If Reigns came out with a line like that he would get flak from the IWC that he is turning into John Cena #2, so he's damned either way really.

I remember a promo around about '05 when the fans were starting to really noticeably turn on Cena and Cena did a promo where he said he fights for those that believe in him, and to those that didn't...they could kiss his ass. What way did the fans react? They cheered. Because that's a believable reaction. I wish Cena had kept that attitude instead of turning into Barney the Dinosaur, impervious to criticism.

Here's my take: I don't care if you're a babyface or not, if someone interrupts you and gives you flak, i.e. a stand-up comedian getting heckled, the response I want to see is a person standing up for themselves. In other words, dishing out what they're getting back.

Also when you factor in that the WWE may very well be contemplating a Reigns heel turn and an alliance with Heyman, I don't see it as an issue.

Good on him, I say. He's gonna get booed without a doubt at Mania so he may as well embrace the hate.

Agreed.

I liked the below line, yeah of course you want to book Reigns as the next big thing, fair enough do that, however even in the days of Austin and Rock doing crazy business, you still had other guys drawing money.

Bryan even if he plays second fiddle to Roman has proven he can draw money, Vince shouldn't forget that long term.

Q: If you're a Daniel Bryan fan, I'm all for that. The more people Daniel Bryan will bring into arenas, the better. The more people I bring in, the better.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement