Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I opened by saying this cold spell is open ended and it still is. I'm sorry for those who may be disappointed but the warm sector tonight was not anticipated to have an effect here to the extent it has. This happens. It is not an exact science.

Some will get recompense this morning. Suffice to say some severe weather ahead especially for Ulster in the coming days and there will be more on that later.

Don't be too downbeat. Lots of opportunity ahead. And to those who never wanted snow I don't care:P

Hmmmm not very kind :rolleyes: There is something loud and wet battering at my windows and I have to go out and sort and feed the dogs :(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Graces7 wrote: »
    There is something loud and wet battering at my windows...

Hopefully it's just rain or hail and not a dolphin or some such creature? :)

Not much happening in Dublin this morning. Just the odd light sleety rain shower. 2.1c atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,201 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

That instability and greater lift that hammered the border counties overnight is slipping south. It's the boundary between the cold and very cold air.

Dublin in the firing line. Could be an interesting commute.
    long time reader of the whether fourm , first time poster . am on my way into dub city as we speak. what do you think the chances of some heavy snowfall in Dublin are today ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,482 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

long time reader of the whether fourm , first time poster . am on my way into dub city as we speak. what do you think the chances of some heavy snowfall in Dublin are today ?

This morning - high (mostly moderate but some heavy bursts). In the afternoon more scattered showers, hit and miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lenny5

Just had a heavy enough snow shower in castlebar after an uneventful night. Has put a light coating on the ground

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Snow angel

That instability and greater lift that hammered the border counties overnight is slipping south. It's the boundary between the cold and very cold air.

Dublin in the firing line. Could be an interesting commute.

How far south will this go?

This morning - high (mostly moderate but some heavy bursts). In the afternoon more scattered showers, hit and miss.

will be interesting to see. will be right beside the liffey all morning so we wait and see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Good morning all a typical January morning in a fairly typical Irish winter on three parts. There is no snow it doesn't look or feel like snowing I haven't met anyone who genuinely feels its goin to snow. Its windy dark and miserable. Roll in Spring.....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wild wet drab and so COLD.. hunkering down to try and get warm and I may be gone some time,..totally nasty out there but everyone is fed and safe. Please, look out for the old wans today and onwards.. dangerous weather now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

gutted. winter tyres went on mountain bike last night in anticipation. maybe later. have to go disappoint a sleeping 2 year old now :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Wet snow here in leixlip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Fear_an_tarbh

Couple of centimetres on the ground at nearly sea level in Letterkenny right now :cool:, on the higher ground (lots of that up here!) and with the freezing road temperatures, there'll be some tricky driving this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 18,482 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

2/3 inches if snow here in Cavan and still light snow falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

Thanks Graces7, snow angel and highdef.
    I had no sooner writen that post when i heard the AA report on the radio.
    If that's still snow on the radar then the roads up there are only gonna get worse this morning, we'll give monaghan a miss so. Stay safe on the roads people.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Philip7304

Some big fluffy flakes falling in Lucan Dublin...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Philip7304 wrote: »
    Some big fluffy flakes falling in Lucan Dublin...

* cranks up the dew point calculator *

Just getting light sleet here (in Dublin 16) now with the odd snow flake...looking forward to big fluffy flakes. 2.3c DP 0.4c atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mothel

Rain in Dublin City centre!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Philip7304

DOCARCH wrote: »

Just getting light sleet here (in Dublin 16) now with the odd snow flake...looking forward to big fluffy flakes. 2.3c DP 0.4c atm.
    Hold of on sending me food parcels..its stopped..

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

DOCARCH wrote: »

And we have action :))

Just past rte on the bus into dublin . light show of mixed sleet and snow . very light though . nothing to shout about . hopefully theirs more to come

• Advertisement

....and....the big fluffy flakes have arrived! :)

2.1c DP 0.3c atm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Snowing in Rathdrum earlier.. feels like -10

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Snowing heavily in D6!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

a wet but chilly morning in Cork city.

All well and good saying it's snowing in dub . but where I am none of this is sticking

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Srfchoops1901

Fairly heavy snow in Dundrum now. No hope of it sticking though

Dinnerplates! Seriously big snowflakes falling here (in Dublin 16)! :) 1.9c DP 0.1c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Mainly sleet and some bigger flakes of snow here in Dublin 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

Met have gone to an orange alert for monaghan and cavan and updated there yellow warning
    National Weather Warnings

STATUS ORANGE

Snow-ice Warning for Cavan and Monaghan

Update on earlier warning: Wintry showers will continue today. Snow accumulations of 3 to 6 cm are likely, especially on high ground.
    Issued:
    Thursday 29 January 2015 06:00
    Valid:
    Thursday 29 January 2015 06:00 to Thursday 29 January 2015 15:00

STATUS YELLOW

Snow-ice Warning for Connacht, Dublin, Kildare, Laois, Longford, Louth, Wicklow, Offaly, Westmeath, Meath, Donegal, Clare, Kerry and Tipperary

Update on earlier warning: Wintry showers will continue today. Snow accumulations up to 3 cm are likely. Higher accumulations are possible over hills and mountains.
    Issued:
    Thursday 29 January 2015 06:27
    Valid:
    Thursday 29 January 2015 06:00 to Thursday 29 January 2015 15:00

• Advertisement

Aspiring wrote: »
    Mainly sleet and some bigger flakes of snow here in Dublin 4.

just after coming through on the bus . came and went in about 5 mins

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement