Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar comes out as gay

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,520 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I don't care his sexual preference, just concentrate on the health portfolio and get patients off trollies

• Registered Users Posts: 11,851 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Whatever MrsByrne approves of obviously, or her toddler.

Or those **** nice fellows in 23 Merrion Square that she donates to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Shrap wrote: »
    Mate, just to let you know that I don't think your post means what you think it means :)
    "nonplussed
    nɒnˈplʌst/Submit
    adjective
    so surprised and confused that one is unsure how to react."

Also, congrats on your new potential to marry an elected Government Minister (after the referendum passes). He is quite easy on the eye.

In standard use nonplussed means ‘surprised and confused’, as in she was nonplussed at his eagerness to help out. In North American English a new use has developed in recent years, meaning ‘unperturbed’—more or less the opposite of its traditional meaning—as in he was clearly trying to appear nonplussed. This new use probably arose on the assumption that non- was the normal negative prefix and must therefore have a negative meaning. It is not considered part of standard English.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

WHA? No. Surely not now.

No.

Really?? :confused: Fcuk me :(

WHA? No. Surely not now.

No.

Really?? :confused: Fcuk me :(

Honestly, I don't know. But I'd say the sight of two men holding hands, or, Jeebus forbid, kissing, probably makes the Ionanists throw up.

• Advertisement

efb wrote: »
    In standard use nonplussed means ‘surprised and confused’, as in she was nonplussed at his eagerness to help out. In North American English a new use has developed in recent years, meaning ‘unperturbed’—more or less the opposite of its traditional meaning—as in he was clearly trying to appear nonplussed. This new use probably arose on the assumption that non- was the normal negative prefix and must therefore have a negative meaning. It is not considered part of standard English.

Oh sorry! I got you completely wrong just by reading the post you were replying to and thinking you meant your niece was nonplussed about " thinks it's perfectly normal".

Apologies. Didn't go far enough back in the posts to see what you were actually referring to :o

• Registered Users Posts: 40,996 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

wait a sec... in between all the silliness about tampons and blow jobs she said she is pro civil marriage equality.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Honestly, I don't know. But I'd say the sight of two men holding hands, or, Jeebus forbid, kissing, probably makes the Ionanists throw up.

Ooh, be careful. Mrs Byrne never said she supports inequality to my knowledge. Just that she doesn't at all like PDA or afaik, breastfeeding in public. Other stuff too, that's public and maybe in front of kids that might be awkward to explain to them. Something like that, from what I can pick up.

But she's for gay marriage I think.

wait a sec... in between all the silliness about tampons and blow jobs she said she is pro civil marriage equality.

My mistake. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Ooh, be careful. Mrs Byrne never said she supports inequality to my knowledge. Just that she doesn't at all like PDA or afaik, breastfeeding in public. Other stuff too, that's public and maybe in front of kids that might be awkward to explain to them. Something like that, from what I can pick up.

But she's for gay marriage I think.

Oh darlings im back. And I wont deny that it does amuse me somewhat to find that I appear to have attained the status of legend on AH if only amongst a coven of tired bored old queens.I'll probably retire my username soon and you can continue to tearfully reminisce throughout your seemingly endless hours trawling yhe Boards about the apparently hysterically funny combo of Iona (never mentioned.it but I think pope is actually a member) tampons egg mayonnaise and kissing. Farewell then I hope someday you find the online homophobe you seem to long to spend hours goading. Alas it wasn't me. Don't give up hope. The sun'll come out, tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 nautilusshell

I'm surprised at some of the comments here. It's only 22 years since homosexual acts were legalised in Ireland, and, at that time, I can only really remember one high-profile gay man in Ireland (David Norris). I don't know if things have changed so much, but I'm pretty sure that outside the major urban centres and perhaps even in them, many LGBT people lead very low profile existences. The 'so what' responses seem to suggest that what applies to the sophisticated metropolis is universal. I'm reasonably confident that that's not the case, and that many LGBT people still have cause to be anxious about revealing their sexuality.

As a gay man who left Ireland in 1992, I've taken the decision to try and be as honest as I can about my sexuality, but I still experience traumas about coming out to my colleagues, to such an extent that I can normally only do it by composing myself beforehand and using e-mail or instant chat. Thankfully the response has been almost always positive. But one can never be certain.

Why begrudge Leo? There is no historical stigma associated with being straight and straight people are, in theory at least, in the vast majority....which is part of the reason why straight people never have anything that they need to reveal. I think he's to be commended for doing something that has probably been quite difficult for him. I believe that while he was on air, RTE was receiving lots of feedback from parents of LGBT children who were also supporting his decision and hoping it would help others. Is that really to be sniffed at?

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    Oh darlings im back. And I wont deny that it does amuse me somewhat to find that I appear to have attained the status of legend on AH if only amongst a coven of tired bored old queens.I'll probably retire my username soon and you can continue to tearfully reminisce throughout your seemingly endless hours trawling yhe Boards about the apparently hysterically funny combo of Iona (never mentioned.it but I think pope is actually a member) tampons egg mayonnaise and kissing. Farewell then I hope someday you find the online homophobe you seem to long to spend hours goading. Alas it wasn't me. Don't give up hope. The sun'll come out, tomorrow.

Hey! Don't be sore. I just have a good memory (a couple of weeks back). You are a worthy poster - don't go! Who gives a sh1t if you don't like kissing in public? *cough* I mean, people will argue with you, but you do rise to it. That's what makes boards interesting - different opinions. Really. Don't go?

Ps. I was defending you in the last post! And I don't do that for many people with religious sensibilities. You add to the diversity Mrs.!

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Th!ng

I wonder if he finds Phil Hogan attractive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Flem31

Maybe if people actually read your posts without bias they would have realised that you said you were a Yes supporter before Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

only amongst a coven of tired bored old queens.

Farewell then I hope someday you find the online homophobe you seem to long to spend hours goading. Alas it wasn't me.

I don't think you're a homophobe, but that really doesn't do you any favours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

The Th!ng wrote: »

Who doesn't!?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

not legend, more crone but I don't think that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

Seems like nothing more than a distraction from the current state of the health service. Would rather he did his job than engaging in cheap publicity stunts. As he said himself it wasn't exactly a secret before now.

Who really cares about his sexual orientation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭Daith

RainMaker wrote: »
    Who really cares about his sexual orientation.

Me! He's ****ing gorgeous and a doctor!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    No direct connection. Lower taxes could stimulate the economy leading to a greater overall tax take. To be pedantic.
    You seem to enjoy making a statement, and when the utter lack of logic is immediately demonstrated back to you, you cry blue murder. It makes zero difference to me voting yes in the coming refendum what Varadkar's sexuality is. I'm guessing Enda Kenny is a heterosexual but I'm not voting against the bill because of that either. I don't need these guys to tell me right from wrong. Perhaps others do.

And so they would still be affected by a rate change then. I guess it does effect everybody.

I made a general statement of probability. i said they were more likely - not that they would in all cases. Your response was to say I was wrong because what I said wouldnt hold true in all cases!

Good thing I never said it would.

Your reframing a number of statements in this thread in order to twist them into something which can be then refuted by you. Argue against people actually say, not what you decide they said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

The Th!ng wrote: »

AFAIK, blue eyed journalists are more to his liking! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

You are projecting your own reality there me thinks.

floggg wrote: »
    I think you'll find they do have that right.

****ting in public is an arrestable offence however.

Couples have a right to do each other like mammals in public... news to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,449 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

jank wrote: »

Where does he claim that? He said it's ok for couples to kiss (passionately) in public as it's not against the law, it is illegal to **** on the street in public though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

So Leo Varadkar has told us all he is gay. And on his birthday.

Just hope no one had ordered a birthday cake from a certain bakery in Northern Ireland :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

If by "do" you mean kiss passionately, then yes they do.

I never said anything about sex of any kind if that's what you are on about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Wait until you see the sport section.

floggg wrote: »
    If by "do" you mean kiss passionately, then yes they do.

I never said anything about sex of any kind if that's what you are on about.

Which is my point. There is a limit on what couples can do in public. Sex in public is obviously not on (You agree?), oral sex the same. For hands down the pants, well most/everyone would consider this inappropriate in a public setting and many would categorise groping as heavy petting. In fact if a man was touching himself in the presence of children he would be up for sexual assault.

If they were just mauling the face of each other, well it would depend in the context. If they were doing in a playground or if adults were doing it outside a school I don't think it would be appropriate and if you consider me a 'prude' for saying that well so be it. And I say this as someone who has been to more Gay bars and clubs over the past year than you have probably been in in your life.

Tbh, if grown adults are mauling the face of each other in public it shows more about them than people who disapprove. Do they think they are 14 again? I have walked up and down Kings Cross, Oxford St and King St here in Sydney at all hours of the day and night and have never seen a straight or gay couple mauling the face of each other, so all these hypothetical barbs while fun is nothing more than an effort to poke fun and bully someone into a corner while backslapping ensues. Its like being back in the school playground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Which is my point. There is a limit on what couples can do in public. Sex in public is obviously not on (You agree?), oral sex the same. For hands down the pants, well most/everyone would consider this inappropriate in a public setting and many would categorise groping as heavy petting.
    I don't agree. I don't condone it but I would never criminalise it. As you mention yourself of your time in Australia, most people don't engage in that kind of behaviour anyway.
    In fact if a man was touching himself in the presence of children he would be up for sexual assault.
    Again, I wouldn't condone it, but as long as he never touches the children then it should not be criminalised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Anita Blow wrote: »
    To be honest I'm more shocked at the amount of people that expect him to have fixed a health service that's been broken for over a decade in only 6 months since he became minister. Perspective people, Jesus Christ.
    Also, for someone who is apparently trying to sweep the A&E Trolley crisis under the carpet, he's been doing a piss poor job. the guy has been tweeting every day the trolley count since the crisis peaked. Was down around 120 yesterday I believe

It was more fascinating to see the HSE's and the depts attempts to game the stats that were torpedoed by nurses

It's abundantly clear that leo has no interest in his portfolio, Enda put him there to shaft him and he's going to just serve out his time until he can move up.

Advertisement