Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar comes out as gay

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭liam24

pharmaton wrote: »
    I think we should all be allowed to adopt gay people personally but I wouldn't force my views on anyone either tbf

I bet you'd like to adopt one into your anus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

liam24 wrote: »
    Yes. A few years ago I was an outspoken racist in a powerful position who called for black people to be stripped of all rights. Now I've changed my mind. Am I off the hook and no longer responsible for that?

You aren't absolved of any past wrong doings, but you are entitled to grow and develop as a person and try to make amends for your past.

Anybody who does that should be celebrated (the growing and making amends, not being a big bad racist).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

If the Frank Fitts, wear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,449 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Can you not read? I said if he didn't change his mind he's a scumbag. Because anybody who opposes gay adoption, especially homosexuals who do so, are scumbags.

I know what you have said i am asking you to explain WHY?

It seems no matter what his stance is, according to you he is a scumbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

' I bet you think I'm a man, and also a man who likes to put other men and things into his anus. I imagine your post would make more sense that way.

• Advertisement

pharmaton wrote: »
    ' I bet you think I'm a man, and also a man who likes to put other men and things into his anus. I imagine your post would make more sense that way.

Not gonna bother my arse (see what i did there :D ) feeding it anymore.

I know what you have said i am asking you to explain WHY?

It seems no matter what his stance is, according to you he is a scumbag.

No that's not what I'm saying at all actually.

No that's not what I'm saying at all actually.

You said
    Either he's changed his mind, in which case he's a scumbag because he originally opposed it purely for political reasons when living in denial, or he hasn't changed his mind, which makes him a scumbag for different reasons.

You said

Yes, so the fact of his having made the speech makes him a scumbag, regardless of what he does. He's not a scumbag no matter what - he wouldn't be a scumbag if he hadn't opposed gay adoption, for example.

Yes, so the fact of his having made the speech makes him a scumbag, regardless of what he does. He's not a scumbag no matter what - he wouldn't be a scumbag if he hadn't opposed gay adoption, for example.

As i said

There's just no pleasing some people :rolleyes:

Heads up for you kiddo, not everyone in favour of ssm is in favour of adoption rights for gay couples, that doesn't make them scum that just means they have the right to their opinions.

• Advertisement

As i said

There's just no pleasing some people :rolleyes:

Heads up for you kiddo, not everyone in favour of ssm is in favour of adoption rights for gay couples, that doesn't make them scum that just means they have the right to their opinions.
    Yes, the KKK have a right to their opinion too I suppose. And I have a right to say that they're bigots.

Yes, the KKK have a right to their opinion too I suppose. And I have a right to say that they're bigots.

And on that you would be right.

And on that you would be right.

Well that's your opinion, my opinion is that I might be wrong, that you're wrong about most things, and that people who oppose gay adoption are bigots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

eviltwin wrote: »
    He was always gay, he just wasn't openly gay. He is allowed to change his mind. And what do you mean by "people like him".

He is without doubt the best politician FG have at the moment.
    I hear he is an absolute workaholic.
    What I like about him is that he speaks his mind and it irks me greatly when that puppet Kenny chastises him publicly for doing so. He wouldn't do that to any other minister and Kenny himself has to be coached in everything he says.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

K-9 wrote: »
    Well jank does seem to have a problem with something, sees it as immature anyway:

Probably because it is. Even teenagers usually go behind a wall or the shed to maul the face of each other. If grown men and women have the need to maul the face off each other for 10 minutes on a public street during the day, I would say most people would think to themselves 'get a room'.

jank wrote: »
    Probably because it is. Even teenagers usually go behind a wall or the shed to maul the face of each other. If grown men and women have the need to maul the face off each other for 10 minutes on a public street during the day, I would say most people would think to themselves 'get a room'.

I like to think i have kissed more than my fair share of the ladies in my day, I have kissed in public a few times but never "mauled" the face off anyone as you keep putting it, I wonder why that is

Oh wait
    maul
    [mawl]
    Spell Syllables
    Examples Word Origin
    noun
    a heavy hammer, as for driving stakes or wedges.
    Archaic. a heavy club or mace.
    verb (used with object)
    to handle or use roughly:
    The book was badly mauled by its borrowers.
    to injure by a rough beating, shoving, or the like; bruise:
    to be mauled by an angry crowd.
    to split with a maul and wedge, as a wooden rail.

I like to think i have kissed more than my fair share of the ladies in my day, I have kissed in public a few times but never "mauled" the face off anyone as you keep putting it, I wonder why that is

Oh wait

Ah now, it's hardly a literal saying.

"Eating the face off your girlfriend" hardly makes you a canibal

And "shifting" somebody really involves moving them anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

LABOUR party politician Dominic Hannigan has become the first TD to enter a same-sex marriage
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/dominic-hannigan-becomes-first-td-to-enter-samesex-marriage-30924980.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

floggg wrote: »
    You aren't absolved of any past wrong doings, but you are entitled to grow and develop as a person and try to make amends for your past.

Anybody who does that should be celebrated (the growing and making amends, not being a big bad racist).

In order to make amends though you have to address your misdeeds. The sum of what I heard from Leo was 'in the last two years I realised/accepted that I was gay, now that I am gay I want to be treated equally'. I understand of course the difficulties and mental gymnastics that go with being closeted and then open but I do believe he owes his fellow gay people an explanation of why he tried to impugn our parental abilities and demeaned queer families. And maybe an apology.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

The mimic Rory Bremner once said about Varadkar on Irish radio that his name was like a bad hand in scrabble.

I disagree, I got Aardvark out of it.

• Advertisement

bjork wrote: »
    LABOUR party politician Dominic Hannigan has become the first TD to enter a same-sex marriage
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/dominic-hannigan-becomes-first-td-to-enter-samesex-marriage-30924980.html

Look at that? The sky hasn't caught fire, the earths crust hasn't split down the middle and unleashed the beasts of hell, In fact i don't think a leaf has fallen off a tree because of this. Fair play to them.

In order to make amends though you have to address your misdeeds. The sum of what I heard from Leo was 'in the last two years I realised/accepted that I was gay, now that I am gay I want to be treated equally'. I understand of course the difficulties and mental gymnastics that go with being closeted and then open but I do believe he owes his fellow gay people an explanation of why he tried to impugn our parental abilities and demeaned queer families. And maybe an apology.

As somebody who lived not only in the closet, but in denial, until my mid 20s, I know your head can be so twisted by what you don't want to be that you will believe and say things you later come to regret.

So I am happy to give him a pass (assuming he wasn't doing it solely for reasons of political expediency). When closeted or struggling gay people speak against LGBT rights, I don't see them as perpetrating homophobia - I see them as victims of it.

Sometimes gay people can absorb so much anti-gay negativity that they start to believe it.

As somebody who lived not only in the closet, but in denial, until my mid 20s, I know your head can be so twisted by what you don't want to be that you will believe and say things you later come to regret.

So I am happy to give him a pass (assuming he wasn't doing it solely for reasons of political expediency). When closeted or struggling gay people speak against LGBT rights, I don't see them as perpetrating homophobia - I see them as victims of it.

Sometimes gay people can absorb so much anti-gay negativity that they start to believe it.

No doubt and I am more than willing to embrace Leo;) I do think an explanation or apology would be beneficial and worthwhile however.

Look at that? The sky hasn't caught fire, the earths crust hasn't split down the middle and unleashed the beasts of hell, In fact i don't think a leaf has fallen off a tree because of this. Fair play to them.

The leaves pre-emptively fell last November. They could sense the impending doom.

No doubt and I am more than willing to embrace Leo;) I do think an explanation or apology would be beneficial and worthwhile however.

I don't see they need to apologise per se. Lucinda Creighton changed her position on marriage equality recently - do we expect her to apologise? I think most of us would rather applaud her (except he cynical types who think any politician who changes their mind is evil).

I'm sure half the country has changed their view on it over the past 10 years as well.

An explanation would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,942 ✭✭✭✭Stark

10 years ago I would have held pro-life views, these days I'd be almost militantly pro-choice. People's views change over time as they become better educated on issues, exposed to various debates etc. Don't think that makes one a hypocrite. And don't think any more explanation is needed than "I wasn't aware of the issues then, I am now".

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

I don't see they need to apologise per se. Lucinda Creighton changed her position on marriage equality recently - do we expect her to apologise? I think most of us would rather applaud her (except he cynical types who think any politician who changes their mind is evil).

I'm sure half the country has changed their view on it over the past 10 years as well.

An explanation would be good.

I certainly don't think an apology from Lucinda would be inappropriate. The woman, whilst Fine Gael spokesperson for equality, chose to denigrate queer families. She publicly demeaned the families of real living breathing people, the parents of children. She stated that it was her opinion that an entire class of Irish citizen should be legally discriminated against, their families denied equal protection.

I happy that Lucinda is now cool with me and her enjoying the same rights but I certainly won't forget that she once argued for me to remain a second class citizen.

Stark wrote: »
    10 years ago I would have held pro-life views, these days I'd be almost militantly pro-choice. People's views change over time as they become better educated on issues, exposed to various debates etc. Don't think that makes one a hypocrite. And don't think any more explanation is needed than "I wasn't aware of the issues then, I am now".

Leo can't possibly claim that he wasn't aware of the issues considering the fact that the reason we are discussing this is that he stood up in the Dail and delivered a speech against gay families.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Leo can't possibly claim that he wasn't aware of the issues considering the fact that the reason we are discussing this is that he stood up in the Dail and delivered a speech against gay families.
    Just wondering if there's a transcript of this on government websites anywhere would you know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,997 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Stark wrote: »

Completely agree. I wasnt old enough to vote in 95 or 97 but would have voted no to divorce and for Dana. Peoples views change over time.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement