Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar comes out as gay

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

jank wrote: »
    Correct, nobody said that and it seems that you are mistaken to what I have a problem with.

Well jank does seem to have a problem with something, sees it as immature anyway:
    jank wrote:
    Tbh, if grown adults are mauling the face of each other in public it shows more about them than people who disapprove. Do they think they are 14 again? I have walked up and down Kings Cross, Oxford St and King St here in Sydney at all hours of the day and night and have never seen a straight or gay couple mauling the face of each other, so all these hypothetical barbs while fun is nothing more than an effort to poke fun and bully someone into a corner while backslapping ensues. Its like being back in the school playground.

Seems pretty clear to me but no doubt we'll end up going down another rabbit hole.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,449 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

We don't get tracksuit kitted lads around these parts. Sorry to disappoint.

Maybe you should travel outside of whatever town/village/whatever you're from then and witness it for yourself before claiming it doesn't happen at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Maybe you should travel outside of whatever town/village/whatever you're from then and witness it for yourself.

I'd imagine it has to be a private island because there is not one town or village in Ireland that it doesn't happen in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

I'd imagine it has to be a private island because there is not one town or village in Ireland that it doesn't happen in.

But he's in Sydney.

Her sisters BF was doing it over the xmas in the UK, The muppet is 28 years old ffs i told him to cop on.

• Advertisement

floggg wrote: »
    But he's in Sydney.

Ah right

So hands down the budgie smugglers then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

floggg wrote: »
    But he's in Sydney.

Ah the famous handless-pants utopia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Why are their hands down their tracksuits, fishing for dole money? Playing poker?

It's part of the posturing that goes with their particular sub culture. Duh.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭liam24

Look at what a hypocrite he is, opposing gay adoption. I wonder if he's still against it:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,763 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

liam24 wrote: »
    Look at what a hypocrite he is, opposing gay adoption. I wonder if he's still against it:

Hes allowed be gay and disgree with Gay adoption.

He's only a hypocrite if he goes back on what he said now. You might need to learn the meaning of the actual word.

• Advertisement

VinLieger wrote: »

He's only a hypocrite if he goes back on what he said now. You might need to learn the meaning of the actual word.

He's also allowed to change his position on issues.

And I think you should also make allowances for

(A) the tendency of politicans to say whatever is politically expedient and to tow the party line; and

(B) the tendency of closeted gay people who are living in denial to over compensate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭Daith

Have your thoughts on a subject ever changed over 5 years?

Daith wrote: »
    Have your thoughts on a subject ever changed over 5 years?

Here's the point. He will have changed his mind - now that he's gay. Which means he's such a scumbag that he thinks the only people who ought to have rights are people like himself.

VinLieger wrote: »

Funnily enough that's not what hypocrite means either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Here's the point. He will have changed his mind - now that he's gay. Which means he's such a scumbag that he thinks the only people who ought to have rights are people like himself.

He was always gay, he just wasn't openly gay. He is allowed to change his mind. And what do you mean by "people like him".

He didn't become gay on Sunday.

Though I'll ask you again. Have you ever changed your mind on something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Flem31

But has he changed his mind ?
    I don't know if he has, does anyone else ?,

Flem31 wrote: »
    But has he changed his mind ?
    I don't know if he has, does anyone else ?,

I don't know but it won't stop people making up stuff.

How about proving he has changed his mind before labelling him a scumbag?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

god jesus

• Advertisement

How about proving he has changed his mind before labelling him a scumbag?

Either he's changed his mind, in which case he's a scumbag because he originally opposed it purely for political reasons when living in denial, or he hasn't changed his mind, which makes him a scumbag for different reasons.

Daith wrote: »
    He didn't become gay on Sunday.

Though I'll ask you again. Have you ever changed your mind on something?

Yes. A few years ago I was an outspoken racist in a powerful position who called for black people to be stripped of all rights. Now I've changed my mind. Am I off the hook and no longer responsible for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

Varadkar himself has said that he has only become comfortable with his sexuality in the last 2 years. While he may personally have reservations about gay adoption, it's possible that as he has come to accept and be comfortable with his sexuality that he may have changed his mind.
    How many gay people have tried to deflect attention from themselves by taking what could be called an anti-gay position on something?
    If nothing else, the guy calls it as it is, and is thankfully quite different from the vast majority of our elected politicians.
    Listen to his interview, and watch his body language in that interview and you'll simply see an intensely shy and private gay man taking the quite difficult step of outing himself, with all the trepidation and apprehension that such a personally momentous action carries with it.

Either he's changed his mind, in which case he's a scumbag because he originally opposed it purely for political reasons when living in denial, or he hasn't changed his mind, which makes him a scumbag for different reasons.

There's just no pleasing some people.

Care to list these reasons of yours that you feel makes him a scumbag?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I'd say one thing though, Irish politics is very rapidly changing and I think there were certain major taboos within FF and FG that have only very recently been gotten past.

The mainstream of Irish politics is much more human and liberal than at any stage in the history of the state and I think perhaps what you're really seeing is the old-guard being sidelined by a new generation who are not really sharing their points of view anymore.

Neither FF nor FG are really what I would call ideologically driven parties, so it's quite possible major changes are going on within.

Parties can be weird places to be though, particularly in a whipped system.

There's just no pleasing some people.

Care to list these reasons of yours that you feel makes him a scumbag?

Can you not read? I said if he didn't change his mind he's a scumbag. Because anybody who opposes gay adoption, especially homosexuals who do so, are scumbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

I think we should all be allowed to adopt gay people personally but I wouldn't force my views on anyone either tbf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

SpaceTime wrote: »
    I'd say one thing though, Irish politics is very rapidly changing and I think there were certain major taboos within FF and FG that have only very recently been gotten past.

The mainstream of Irish politics is much more human and liberal than at any stage in the history of the state and I think perhaps what you're really seeing is the old-guard being sidelined by a new generation who are not really sharing their points of view anymore.

Roll on a bit of slackening off in the puritanical cannabis laws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

mikom wrote: »
    Roll on a bit of slackening off in the puritanical cannabis laws.

May yet happen.

• Advertisement

Well, that's a very big leap.

Most of the country has changed their position on the issue over the last 5-10 years, so it may well be that he did.

It could also be he was toeing the party line at the time, or saying what was politically expedient.

There is also the possibility he was so deep in denial at the time that he couldn't bring himself to endorse anything to do with same sex couples or families.

I know if you asked me 5 years ago, when I was in deep denial about my own sexuality I might have given a similar answer. At the time I would also have told you that people could "turn" gay - because otherwise I would have had to concede that I was never going to turn back straight.

My position on those issues wasn't based on any any facts or reality, but on my own insecurities, fears and prejudices about my own sexuality and on the life I thought I needed to lead.

So knowing what a severe head **** living in closeted denial can be, I would tend to discount most of what closeted gay people have to say about other gay people or their relationships. Closeted people can often internalise the most negative and distorted view of gay people.

Advertisement