Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold discussion 18th Jan onward - cold for at least 5 more days, some snow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭Rougies

Just a note for those near the East coast, the latest Hirlam and GFS don't have the precip hitting here until after midnight.

Looks like an upgrade in precip amounts into tomorrow morning/afternoon. Dublin/Wicklow mountains will do well I'd imagine.

HIRLAM: http://www.ilmateenistus.ee/ilm/prognoosid/mudelprognoosid/euroopa/?lang=en#layers/sadufaas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭tom_k

More light snow here in South Mayo. None sticking.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Netweather radar is picking up snow showers around dublin and close to sea. Nothing here in Blackrock

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Netweather radar is picking up snow showers around dublin and close to sea. Nothing here in Blackrock

They're false readings, probably from the airport radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

[quote="bajer101;93912550Dublin/wicklow hey're false readings, probably from the airport radar.[/quote]

Dublin/Wicklow mountains already look very white indeed...there were heavyish snow showers up there yesterday but now higher up they look very white....they will get blasted tonight.

1.5 degrees here in Dublin 15.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Rougies wrote: »
    Just a note for those near the East coast, the latest Hirlam and GFS don't have the precip hitting here until after midnight.

Looks like an upgrade in precip amounts into tomorrow morning/afternoon. Dublin/Wicklow mountains will do well I'd imagine.

HIRLAM: http://www.ilmateenistus.ee/ilm/prognoosid/mudelprognoosid/euroopa/?lang=en#layers/sadufaas

Just noticed that hold up of the front on the WRF 12z as well

06Z run for 1am tonight
    nmm_uk1-1-18-4_ofo6.png

12Z run for 1am tonight
    nmm_uk1-1-12-4_qqc1.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭LordNorbury

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    Dublin/Wicklow mountains already look very white indeed...there were heavyish snow showers up there yesterday but now higher up they look very white....they will get blasted tonight.

CAN'T WAIT!!! Going up there tonight & tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

3C here in Dun Laoghaire, but the DP is down to -6.5!

However pressure is at 1008 and theres so little energy in the front, I can see it dissipating over Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Villain wrote: »
    I don't think temp will be an issue here but I don't think any decent showers will make it this far either :(

You have just made blue Monday a lot blue-er!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Here in Donegal Town (right on the west coast ) zero precipitation today. No rain, snow, sleet or hail. Currently 0.3c with Dp -0.3. But totally dry all day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Lovely heavy snow in Castlebar in the last hour, shame it was not sticking though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Seem to have got a bit milder in the north east, definitely doesn't feel as cold as earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Few small flakes in sligo, very cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Nothing here at the base of 3 rock either :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Xenji wrote: »
    Lovely heavy snow in Castlebar in the last hour, shame it was not sticking though.

What????? No snow in the last 10 mins where I am. And if you call what was falling 30 mins ago heavy, were you around in Nov 2010? This is a cloud's piddle by comparision:).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

0.0c DP -3.0c here now in south Dublin.

By the looks of it we could be waiting until the small hours of tomorrow morning, in Dublin, for anything to reach here...and...if it's going to bring sleety/rain...it can stay away as far as I am concerned! :)

ffarrell7 wrote: »

Yesterday 3 rock still had a dusting on it but today, even though the temp down at the base didn't get up above 3.6c , all evidence of snow is gone. I'm sure there is still some around higher up though

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭chris2007

I'd say the band will be rain/sleet when it eventually reaches Dublin would be snow on higher ground in south dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Just checked my lamppost, and can confirm snow in East Galway.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Yesterday 3 rock still had a dusting on it but today, even though the temp down at the base didn't get up above 3.6c , all evidence of snow is gone. I'm sure there is still some around higher up though

Got a high of 2.5c here today. Could still see a dusting on the north facing slope of 3 Rock this afternoon. Problem this morning was a couple of hours strong sunshine which would wipe away a dusting of snow (no matter the temperature).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Very light snow in Galway as usual when its cold enough for snow here theres very little percipitation and when there lots its not cold enough...

Xenji wrote: »

You've been unlucky in Castlebar today. You seem to have had a good amount of snow falling but not sticking. All the same, I'd love to have a couple of showers at least (I say that until it melts :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

Nothing here at the moment but I think we'll have rain.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Got a high of 2.5c here today. Could still see a dusting on the north facing slope of 3 Rock this afternoon. Problem this morning was a couple of hours strong sunshine which would wipe away a dusting of snow (no matter the temperature).

Maybe my thermometer isn't working properly. Strange that I'm higher than you but seem to get higher temps. Same happened me the other day

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Easterly Beasterly

DOCARCH wrote: »
    0.0c DP -3.0c here now in south Dublin.

By the looks of it we could be waiting until the small hours of tomorrow morning, in Dublin, for anything to reach here...and...if it's going to bring sleety/rain...it can stay away as far as I am concerned! :)

Temp of 2.8C and DP -3.0 currently. N/NW breeze, I assume its supposed to turn S/SE later. I've a bad feeling that will drag temps and DP up to coincide with any precipitation.

Location is Bray, Co. Wicklow

What????? No snow in the last 10 mins where I am. And if you call what was falling 30 mins ago heavy, were you around in Nov 2010? This is a cloud's piddle by comparision:).

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

There is a real delay in the front, can't see any precip bar a mm in Dublin until near 6am tomorrow, then it peps up a bit along the east coast before clearing during the early afternoon.

A full 6hrs later than this mornings EC progged.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Model really struggling with this band of precip, even worse errors in Britain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

check out them dew points. it has to snow later!
    pointrosee_uk.png
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Nothing here at the base of 3 rock either :confused:

How's the top of 3 rock looking? might head there tomorrow if it doesn't come to me...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement