Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold discussion 18th Jan onward - cold for at least 5 more days, some snow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

dacogawa wrote: »
    How's the top of 3 rock looking? might head there tomorrow if it doesn't come to me...

Very little compared to last week. I'll let you know how it is looking in the morning. Even "not great" falls for the rest of us leaves a good bit up there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

This was 3rock yesterday. Mostly compacted frozen snow (I did fall).

@weatherfiend... Hi neighbour :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

check out them dew points. it has to snow later!
    pointrosee_uk.png
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

It'll probably fizzle out over Drogheda ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭horsefarm

jimbis wrote: »

@weatherfiend... Hi neighbour :)

Ah sure there's loads of us lurking about ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Raintoday shows that theres precipation over me, but it seems to be the invisible kind, nothing falling yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lenny5

It has snowed almost constantly in castlebar since lunchtime. Mostly light but can't believe it hasn't stuck properly so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Very light snow now.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

max today 1.5c and now -0.9c, very unusual to have an air temp below freezing when its cloudy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Redsunset wrote: »
    I'm afraid away from the far North east, we will just have to enjoy the brief snow before the transition. Too much warm air arriving. But yes stranger things have happened. The computer currently says NO!

Dew points

nmm_uk1-18-18-4_huk1.png
    I'm in south Louth tonight. This makes me very happy:cool:

I don't recognise the model though... It seems to be similar to HIRLAM in that it's a scalable model basis that different organisations run for forecasting etc. I'm thinking HIRLAM tends to be used in this part of the world so I will err on the side of that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Looking all about the precip here at 230asl near Roundwood. My station currently showing an air temp of -1.9 and a dew point of -6.4!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭pauldry

Ta se ag cur sneachta aris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭LordNorbury

Is it just me or is that precip moving west currently over the midlands, the slowest moving cloud we have ever seen in this country?!? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

As always the radar is overstating the snow, radar showed light shower over me but nothing fell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Meanwhile Arklow air temp is sub zero under cloud with a dp of -3 as well
    Fascinating

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Villain wrote: »
    As always the radar is overstating the snow, radar showed light shower over me but nothing fell.

Evaporating before it hits the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 14,370 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

As I've posted in my forecast update, thinking that the most significant weather from this may be freezing rain or freezing drizzle tomorrow morning (late overnight hours) so watch out if you have driving or walking planned in those parts of Leinster that are not so close to east coast that precip will change to rain, or so high that snow may be the dominant type. This could include fairly large portions of west Dublin, Kildare, Laois, Meath, and some parts of Wicklow and Carlow.

Eventually it would probably change to rain and thaw, but the time period 0400-0900 may be quite icy in places. Before that I think 2-5 cm of snow may fall on some parts of the region especially higher ground, but mostly just a non-accumulating trace to 1 cm sort of event that gets slicker towards morning.

Still on for 5-8 cm snow in a few parts of the north central counties but this event could end with freezing drizzle almost anywhere that snow falls, so take care out there tomorrow morning.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Villain wrote: »

Was like that in Galway all afternoon, just the odd flake falling. Now raining heavy enough... may turn to snow inland once it hits colder air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Very little compared to last week. I'll let you know how it is looking in the morning. Even "not great" falls for the rest of us leaves a good bit up there

Great thanks! :) I think a trip up there might be necessary

Temp rising slightly now back up to -0.4c, radar still shows some light snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭LordNorbury

I'm heading up the Military Road now up to the viewing point/car park, to see what the conditions are like up that way, report to follow & pics if there has been any snow lol! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

A nice smattering of snow in S. Sligo it's been falling lightly since about 4pm and sticking because of the frost it was falling on to - still only a thin cover and very cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭legomaniac

We are really flogging a dead horse with this. I think the posts are beginning to come across as over desperate for snow. A few light flurries in Sligo town earlier, nothing in South Donegal. It seems that we need to accept the fact that the majority of populated Ireland is unlikely to see snow of any significance this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Got slightly heavier, but turning more sleety. Already turning to ice on the road outside. Just spotted one car struggling to get up a slight accent.

New Moon

legomaniac wrote: »
    We are really flogging a dead horse with this. I think the posts are beginning to come across as over desperate for snow. A few light flurries in Sligo town earlier, nothing in South Donegal. It seems that we need to accept the fact that the majority of populated Ireland is unlikely to see snow of any significance this winter.

This winter?? Nah February was often our best month, I wouldn't jump to write it off just yet especially if we get that strat warming event :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

That's a fair statement, any data to back up your claim.

Just ran a WXSIM forecast on http://carlowweather.com/wxsimforecast.php

Interesting changes for next 24hrs:
    Tonight

Mostly cloudy in the evening, becoming dense overcast after midnight. A slight chance of snow in the evening, then a chance of a mix of snow and rain after midnight. Low -2°C, but temperatures rising after midnight. Wind southeast around 6 mph in the evening, becoming 10 mph, gusting to 16 mph, after midnight. Chance of precipitation 60 percent. Precipitation (liquid equivalent) mostly around 5 mm. Snow accumulation about a cm.
    Tuesday

Dense overcast in the morning, becoming mostly cloudy to cloudy in the afternoon. Patchy light fog. A mix of snow and rain likely in the morning, then a chance of a mix of snow and rain in the afternoon. High 2°C. Wind chill around -2. Wind southeast around 7 mph in the morning, becoming west-northwest in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation 80 percent. Precipitation (liquid equivalent) mostly around 10 mm. Snow accumulation about 2 cm.

Be interesting to see how it fairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

A nice mild 3.5c here in Clare. If it gets any warmer I may pull out the sun chairs :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

It seems that we need to accept the fact that the majority of populated Ireland is unlikely to see snow of any significance this winter.

And it begins!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Sticking well here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Just started to snow here, very light, can't imaging that there will be much from this not that I need it up here, still ankle deep. -0.8C. dp-4.8C.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement