Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold discussion 18th Jan onward - cold for at least 5 more days, some snow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Nabber wrote: »
    And it begins!!!

I don't think it ever stopped. Some people are so negative. Come on, who wants to hear people go on about it won't snow and you shouldn't think it will snow. Let's just hope for snow and see what we get! We still need the forecasts to tell us if we won't (like here in west Munster) or if we will.
    We don't need 100 posts telling us we are "flogging a dead horse".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Snowing very lightly here in Sw Donegal, nice dry fluffy flakes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Grand and mild in Waterford, perfect night for a run.

BTW does anyone know what time it will hit Dublin AP? A few diversions may be in place if its heavy before midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

Light rain here now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

200motels wrote: »
    Light rain here now.
    Temp 4 4c DP 1.6c says it all really

http://www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MoeJay

Carnacalla wrote: »
    BTW does anyone know what time it will hit Dublin AP? A few diversions may be in place if its heavy before midnight.

No forecast snow for Dublin Airport based on the 1700z forecast, outside chance of some sleet overnight...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

In the Uk this week around Leeds, no snow here. Will be typical now that i will miss a good snowfest in Dublin. Still cant be too picky as at least we did get a decent covering of snow last week, at least in Dublin 18 anyway.

Still would like to see a good snow event before the winter is out. Good to see so many parts of Ireland enjoying snow this winter though. North and west in particular seem to have done well with a good number of snow days. Hope you all get to see snow tonight and tomorrow, dont think any forecast for over in these parts. So much for UK being better for snow !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

In the Uk this week around Leeds, no snow here. Will be typical now that i will miss a good snowfest in Dublin. Still cant be too picky as at least we did get a decent covering of snow last week, at least in Dublin 18 anyway.

Still would like to see a good snow event before the winter is out. Good to see so many parts of Ireland enjoying snow this winter though. North and west in particular seem to have done well with a good number of snow days. Hope you all get to see snow tonight and tomorrow, dont think any forecast for over in these parts. So much for UK being better for snow !

You've a much better chance of getting snow tomorrow night/ Wednesday AM than Dublin have!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Currently cloudy and -0.2c air temperature dp -3c in Arklow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

You've a much better chance of getting snow tomorrow night/ Wednesday AM than Dublin have!

Areas over 200 metres will do well in Dublin tonight and that is for sure....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Watching the rainfall radar on met.ie during the day , is this the slowest moving front ever ? , think I could out walk it at this stage , come on snow , we need you NOW in Dublin !

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭elecktras weather bomb

I don't think it ever stopped. Some people are so negative. Come on, who wants to hear people go on about it won't snow and you shouldn't think it will snow. Let's just hope for snow and see what we get! We still need the forecasts to tell us if we won't (like here in west Munster) or if we will.
    We don't need 100 posts telling us we are "flogging a dead horse".

In all sincerity you wont find a bigger snow bunny than myself and realistically everyone is on this thread for the same reason and its gut wrenching when your cross eyed from watching serious eye candy materialise into nothing especially for those of us that have seen nothing in four years. I personally am a greedy gut and wont be waiting up for freezing rain or 1cm of snow. I don't want to wish away this cold spell for the people that have done well out of it but the sooner this boring spell is over for us in the east the better. "every man for themselves tonight "good luck to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

ffarrell7 wrote: »

Can't see the precipitation intensity to deliver much, of course above 200m may get a few cms but that is not much of the population.

Of course the precip could pep up more than expected and deliver

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

legomaniac wrote: »
    We are really flogging a dead horse with this. I think the posts are beginning to come across as over desperate for snow. A few light flurries in Sligo town earlier, nothing in South Donegal. It seems that we need to accept the fact that the majority of populated Ireland is unlikely to see snow of any significance this winter.
    Early days, winter tends to run through February in my experience?? I think March is a bit desperate perhaps to rely upon but very heavy snow has happened then before and I remember heavy snow days in April in the last 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,915 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It isnt at all. Could be next to no precipitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Larbre34 wrote: »
    It isnt at all. Could be next to no precipitation.

28/29/30 March 2012 saw snowfall in Dublin and it stuck and then melted around midday and snowed on 3 consecutive nights...3 cm each night approx....Dublin 15 way.....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,915 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

28/29/30 March 2012 saw snowfall in Dublin and it stuck and then melted around midday and snowed on 3 consecutive nights...3 cm each night approx....Dublin 15 way.....

Yes but that has nothing to do with tonights possibility there will be very little falling from the sky by the time the weakening front gets to Dublin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭LordNorbury

Am up in the viewing point car park on the Military Road just past Kilakee, no snow on the ground up here yet but it is bone dry and very cold right now. There was a dusting of snow up here the night before last but that has gone.

Please God whatever falls overnight on the Dublin Mountains will transform this place come the morning when I come back up...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The front only producing rain here near Tralee, 5.0mm and temperature has been rising through the evening, now at 4.5C.

Cold may return towards dawn if there is a clear patch behind the front, but wind on the coast may prevent any frost.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

This is turning into another embarrassing non event I'm afraid. Go back through the thread and check out some of the predictions that were made.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Both temp & dewpoint on the rise here now (not that it feels it) Currently 0.9 c with DP now above zero.

screenshot_4.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

This is turning into another embarrassing non event I'm afraid. Go back through the thread and check out some of the predictions that were made.....
    It could be a non-event but what's that crystal ball you have? Where I am, it's another number of hours before the front even arrives... Helps seeing this event from 145 metres asl I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

How is it embarrassing , its weather you can only forecast it not guarantee it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭LordNorbury

Not at all, MT posted this evening & said Dublin is most likely getting snow overnight, especially on higher ground, that's good enough for me!

All I am saying is that there has been a lot of claims of snow arriving for lots in the last few days and being realistic it hasent happened. It seems that if anybody mentions this they are shot down immediately just an observation that's all.

All I am saying is that there has been a lot of claims of snow arriving for lots in the last few days and being realistic it hasent happened. It seems that if anybody mentions this they are shot down immediately just an observation that's all.

If you had said "It hasent snowed yet :(" or something to that extent you would not have been shot down. Its the sheer negativity of something that's not even over yet. Made your observation afterwards and do it in such a way that ya dont piss people off.

Your great at telling people how bad things are though. Every post i have read from you in weather fourms tells people how disappointing these snow predictions are and how bad the winter is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

I love this thread dont let it go to arguing over whether its going to snow or not just ruins it for everyone!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Temps still pretty good here (in south Dublin). -0.6c DP -3.6c.

• Advertisement

If you had said "It hasent snowed yet :(" or something to that extent you would not have been shot down. Its the sheer negativity of something that's not even over yet. Made your observation afterwards and do it in such a way that ya dont piss people off.

Your great at telling people how bad things are though. Every post i have read from you in weather fourms tells people how disappointing these snow predictions are and how bad the winter is.

I actually think its been a good winter, no extremes of anything so I don't know where your getting that from. I am reading predictions all winter about snow and if you dare point out that it isn't happening you get accused of pissing people off or whatever. Anyway look we'll agree to disagree I enjoy this forum and have no interest in being banned for some sort of misunderstanding.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement