Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold discussion 18th Jan onward - cold for at least 5 more days, some snow

Options
1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    This photo overlooking the Wicklow Mts was taken by the Irish Air Corps yesterday.

336096.jpg

What an amazing looking place.

Beautiful,..would dearly love an aerial shot of "my" mountains.....always think of Tolkien when I see these...

A soft wet morning..well probably the rain is too heavy for "soft".. but calm and still and even though it is cold, lacks the sharp bite of recent days. Thankful for the respite... When I was on the Scottish island there was one stream bank that was always the last to thaw and they would say that the snow was not over until that had melted. They were always right... will be interesting to see when the tops bare themselves again here. Will be over the Caha Pass early tomorrow..cannot afford to go through the gate at Mizen Head ....Ah well!

I'm hoping for a good thaw at this stage, have had snow lying since tues 13th and as much as I like snow I'm over it! still about 4 inches of frozen snow here. currently 2.6C and rising so hopefully I will be able to walk normally tomorrow or soon.

I know. Back in 2010 I was up in the Bluestacks in Donegal and got used to melting snow for water but grand when life could be more normally focussed. It was the same here on boards... folks got weary of coping with life in the ice. Drama should not last weeks;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

This photo overlooking the Wicklow Mts was taken by the Irish Air Corps yesterday.

336096.jpg

Amazing also how the snow cover was reduced so much compared to a week ago given that the temperature near sea level hovered around zero much of the time and never exceeded 5 degrees.

I don't want to go up the hills for my snow-fix, I want it to come down to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Amazing also how the snow cover was reduced so much compared to a week ago given that the temperature near sea level hovered around zero much of the time and never exceeded 5 degrees.

I don't want to go up the hills for my snow-fix, I want it to come down to me!

You can still see that Lugnaquilla is quite alot white near its top than the other mountains beside it. Maybe thats just because its in cloud and thats stopping the sun from melting it as much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Is that on their website anywhere? Could there be a higher res version maybe?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Temps nearly double figures everywhere today, glad to see the back of the past 2 weeks of very cold conditions. On the plus side it was mostly very dry and sunny, now that it's mild it's back to rain!

The next 7 days looks mostly very mild but a small chance of colder conditions returning from February 1st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Until the next event discussion continues in

The Current Conditions Thread

The Winter 2014/15 Thread

The FI Winter Charts Thread

**Please try to keep your posts on topic - read Mod Notes in the OP before posting

Thanks Guys

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement