Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold discussion 18th Jan onward - cold for at least 5 more days, some snow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Looks like the Dublin Snow Shield has been projected out to cover most of Leinster going on the rain today animation. The front just seems to buckle and dissipate at the borders. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

As I've posted in my forecast update, thinking that the most significant weather from this may be freezing rain or freezing drizzle tomorrow morning (late overnight hours) so watch out if you have driving or walking planned in those parts of Leinster that are not so close to east coast that precip will change to rain, or so high that snow may be the dominant type. This could include fairly large portions of west Dublin, Kildare, Laois, Meath, and some parts of Wicklow and Carlow.

Eventually it would probably change to rain and thaw, but the time period 0400-0900 may be quite icy in places. Before that I think 2-5 cm of snow may fall on some parts of the region especially higher ground, but mostly just a non-accumulating trace to 1 cm sort of event that gets slicker towards morning.

Still on for 5-8 cm snow in a few parts of the north central counties but this event could end with freezing drizzle almost anywhere that snow falls, so take care out there tomorrow morning.
    I presume that's just a list of Leinster counties still in line for some settling snow? I would include Longford in that list though maybe only the northern half of Longford is likely in my mind.

I also think that Louth except for areas right beside the coast can expect snow falling for the majority of the time. The "sea breeze" effect is really minimal this time with southerly breezes running along the east coast rather than dragging air off the sea. Sure we shall see!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Nice covering here in Donegal, all white. Snow is coming down very lightly but lying none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Temps still pretty good here (in south Dublin). -0.6c DP -3.6c.

I dont think you are too far from me location wise.
    Im in Stepaside, how do you know for certain your exact ASL?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Mech1

I just drove from Golden Ball Kilternan Via Johnnie foxes into Knocklyon Direction Via the viewing point. Nothing to see, just great to good driving conditions. video to follow soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

Your roughly 150 ASL :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Clear Sky and a slight frost here, ''IF'' it snows, it should stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭horsefarm

http://www.maps.ie/coordinates.html

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Fuh Q

Checked lamp post = No Snow

Temp -0.3 DP -4.0

Navan Co Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Due to lack of reports of precip falling it must be that the precip is just fizzling out at it's eastern fringe and not making any progress, but is anyone thinking there's something wrong the radar? a perfect curve on the fronts eastern edge that it just can't get passed?

• Advertisement

kittyn wrote: »
    Your roughly 150 ASL :)

Thank you, great to finally know :-)

John.Icy wrote: »
    Due to lack of reports of precip falling it must be that the precip is just fizzling out at it's eastern fringe and not making any progress, but is anyone thinking there's something wrong the radar? a perfect curve on the fronts eastern edge that it just can't get passed?

Yeah, very strange!
    Is it not possible this is just very very slow moving from west to east, and that heavier showers will follow from the atlantic very late tonight!
    Only the die-hards will see it / kinda 3/4am timeframe!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Drogheda is ready and waiting but nothing yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

A lot of rain here in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

A lot of rain here in Galway.

Same here in clare:P I never expected it to snow anyway.

Hows the Midlands doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

You have to look firstly at the radar returns, they are very light and patchy. it is a very weak front, some of the stuff falling is simply not making it to the ground. there will not be a lot of snow from this in the east. it may make for some lamp post watching in places in the wee small hours. places like ballina, castlebar and down to galway saw some of the heavier radar returns earlier and while it was nice to watch it did not stick. the slippy footpaths in the E/NE in the morning will be about the most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭arctictree

Steady at -1.7c here. (Roundwood).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

You have to look firstly at the radar returns, they are very light and patchy. it is a very weak front, some of the stuff falling is simply not making it to the ground. there will not be a lot of snow from this in the east. it may make for some lamp post watching in places in the wee small hours. places like ballina, castlebar and down to galway saw some of the heavier radar returns earlier and while it was nice to watch it did not stick. the slippy footpaths in the E/NE in the morning will be about the most of it.

Heavy batch of rain in clare atm, so maybe that may hold a bit of percip until the midlands and cause a nice big flurry there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭pad199207

Any reports from the Athlone Area? Looks to be a pick up in intensity over there

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭HankSchrader

Snowing in Athlone. Very light. 1.6c DP -2.3c. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭TheBody

VERY gently snowing in Mullingar. As in a few flakes are falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

Light snow here now. Nothing lying at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Any lamp post shots from the athlone /Mullingar people? go onnn!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

1.6c and DP -2.2c :/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

John.Icy wrote: »

If it was mild and raining you can be sure it would make it over !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭lolie

Looking at the radar it should be snowing here since about 8pm but looking at the big yard light outside not a single flake has fallen.

Hold up, just got a txt to say it's snowing lightly in killnaleck.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,746 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

light snow in kilkenny- north.

Temperature is rising, 1.5C now and dewpoint of -0.1C.

So I expect sleet and eventually rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 kkel

It's still lightly snowing here in Mayo and has been since about 4pm, gets heavyish at times but then goes back to light snow, it has started to stick though so we have about 2/3 centimetres where I am at 277 ft. it's such a shame it's not consistently heavy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

RobertKK wrote: »

Temperature is rising, 1.5C now and dewpoint of -0.1C.

Really shows the difference a dewpoint temp can make when set against actual air temp. 1.5 c here too but raining with dewpoint temp +0.5c.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MissMoc

Light snow near Tullamore now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement