Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold discussion 18th Jan onward - cold for at least 5 more days, some snow

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Cloudy in Waterford City with a temp of 2.7c and DP 0.6c. As other's have said the slow movement of the front is good news for the East and maybe South East but not getting any hopes up. Would be happy with a sleety/snow mix to start but expect it to turn to all rain pretty soon.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Cloudy in Waterford City with a temp of 2.7c and DP 0.6c. As other's have said the slow movement of the front is good news for the East and maybe South East but not getting any hopes up. Would be happy with a sleety/snow mix to start but expect it to turn to all rain pretty soon.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

It'll be rain from the start Mick, you could head to Mahon falls for a drive though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Dewpoint has not gone above 0c here all day and is starting to drop again suncroft kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

not sure if any one has noticed, but there's a shield around cork city, no snow/rain just coldness and dull

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

It'll be rain from the start Mick, you could head to Mahon falls for a drive though ;)

The Comeraghs should have a good covering. Might be worth a trip tomorrow.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Radar says precipitation is here, but it is hardly noticeable, a few flakes floating around. I could see white hilltops from the M6, over towards Derrybrien.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Very strange in Salthill Galway. The radar is showing precipitation over us but virtually nothing is falling.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Radar shows ppn here in Galway City for at least the last 2 hours, but it's bone dry outside, I've only seen a few very light snow flurries. Possibly ppn at altitude but not making it to the ground, or is that possible?

Edit: Snap Steve and Discodog! :)

Discodog wrote: »
    Very strange in Salthill Galway. The radar is showing precipitation over us but virtually nothing is falling.

It is all up there waiting to fall on the eastern half of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

It is all up there waiting to fall on the eastern half of the country.

We'll take it off your hands :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Zzippy wrote: »
    Radar shows ppn here in Galway City for at least the last 2 hours, but it's bone dry outside, I've only seen a few very light snow flurries. Possibly ppn at altitude but not making it to the ground, or is that possible?

Edit: Snap Steve and Discodog! :)

I know that it can happen with rain that evaporates before it hits the ground. But could that occur with snow?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Discodog wrote: »
    I know that it can happen with rain that evaporates before it hits the ground. But could that occur with snow?

That's what I though, but don't know the answer. At least I'm not the only one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Very small and light snow now in Galway

More like sn in Galway, it hardly qualifies as full snow.
    Next band looks heavier on the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Who else hates Scotland Right now????
    United_Kingdom_Ireland.2015019.terra.2km.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Who else hates Scotland Right now????
    United_Kingdom_Ireland.2015019.terra.2km.jpg
    Oi!!!!

Typical of the anti scottishness on here:mad:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭vizualpics

Snow now in Ballina, Co.Mayo. Seems to be a very slow moving front. I see the temps in Castlebar dropped about 1 degree when snow started. Rainfall radar showed precip over us for the last 2 hours but nothing and then saw reports from Murrisk (West Coast), Castlebar then and afterwards Crossmolina.

http://www.castlebar.ie/environment/Castlebar_Weather.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

gone to 4 degrees here and now dp of 1. no precipitation yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

I dont normally feel the cold to much, but Sweet jesus its absolutely baltic here.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Well its a promising start, falling as snow along the western seaboard though admittedly mostly in North West where it was always looking good. grace7 though has put the cat amongst the pigeons with reports of Kingdom snow. Perhaps its her altitude though.

According to google I am around 400 ft above sea level

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I dont normally feel the cold to much, but Sweet jesus its absolutely baltic here.

Dreadful! Longing for bed time...two hot water bottles and two cats night..the cats think I am keeping THEM warm..

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭TopOfTheHill

Rain arriving in West Cork (Clonakilty) :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,885 ✭✭✭pauldry

shockin cold

• Registered Users Posts: 10,068 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Knock airport now, 0 degrees, snow on the way from the west

It has really picked up here, up to about 10 fps(flakes per second) ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

vizualpics wrote: »
    Snow now in Ballina, Co.Mayo. Seems to be a very slow moving front. I see the temps in Castlebar dropped about 1 degree when snow started. Rainfall radar showed precip over us for the last 2 hours but nothing and then saw reports from Murrisk (West Coast), Castlebar then and afterwards Crossmolina.

http://www.castlebar.ie/environment/Castlebar_Weather.html

Dry here again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

anyone got any reports of the sleet and snow moving west to east yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭logically

Knock airport now, 0 degrees, snow on the way from the west

Jeez, that runway is in an awful state.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

It has really picked up here, up to about 10 fps(flakes per second) ;-)

And still no fps (feckin pics sent) to us poor eejits in the east:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lenny5

Just not heavy enough to stick in castlebar. Hopefully heavier showers on the way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement