Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shootings in Paris - Multiple fatalities.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

drumswan wrote: »
    Today might be that day for me. Too long those of us on the left have made excuses for Islam in the name of tolerant liberal democratic values. Islamists do not give any credence to the values that are used to shelter their despicable ideologies, its time to stop allowing them that protection. **** Islam.

I'm thinking the same right now.

I'm actually a little bit in shock here after hearing the news on the radio and listen to that policeman beg for his life before they executed him. The sounds of that gun fire really rattled me if I'm honest.

I'm neither extreme right nor left wing in my views. If anything a little bit leftie up to this point but I'm reconsidering things right now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

Nodin wrote: »
    That would keep out all practicing Sunni, not just the nuts.

And this is a bad thing how?

They are all the same shower of sh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

If the issue of Muslim extremists in Europe is not addressed then the current political parties risk turning voters to far right extremist political parties who jolly on the 'anti-Islam' bandwagon. This would cripple the E.U. and destroy Europe far worse than extremist Muslims could. Rather than condemning solely the perpetrators, bigger steps will need to be taken to tackle the issue of religious fundamentalists, whatever these steps may be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

And this is a bad thing how?

They are all the same shower of sh1t.

Apt username.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Euronews.com has this to say:
    As Islamic extremists have been Charlie Hebdo’s most recent and vociferous enemies the Islamic militant lead is the one most commonly being mentioned as a possibility, but the attack bears some hallmarks of paper’s traditional enemies on the far-right, as the attackers had military-grade weapons, hid their identities, and used cars to make an escape.

Some have argued had this been an Islamic-style operation the attackers may not have bothered to hide themselves, and may have sought martyrdom in a final shoot-out with police.

Assuming it is Islamic extremists rather than impersonators, it definitely points to a change of tactics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

gandalf wrote: »
    I think he is talking about the sectarian conflict in Northern Ireland where ones religion was used as an excuse to kill people as well. Jaysus people in glass houses.

Religion and Extremism are dangerous bedfellows no matter what flavour of religion is involved.

Religion was only one small part of the conflict in Northern Ireland, I won't go into giving a history lesson.

On the other hand this shooting today, Islam is the only cause of it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Death toll now up to 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ryan_t

And a RPG

From the SMH:
    At least 12 people were killed after gunmen armed with Kalashnikovs and a rocket-launcher opened fire in the Paris offices of French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Yea, as harrowing as that video is it's the perfect piece of footage they would like to see spread.
    I think it's exactly the type of footage they don't want to spread. If they go and shoot the cartoonists only, a lot of "moderate" Muslims might support them. Shooting a wounded policeman in the head is repulsive for most people, no matter your views on the newspaper.

The same thing has happened in Iraq before and is happening now with ISIS. The more barbaric they are, the more it repulses moderate Muslims and forces them to condemn what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

So much abject nonsense written above by people on both sides. Tell me something, has everybody here forgotten that we bombed the **** out of Iraq for a laugh from 2003 onwards just because a bunch of pro-Israel people in Bush's cabinet don't like arabs? Or that the USA deposed the democratically elected president of Iran in 1953, installed a dictatorship and permanently destabilized the country? Oh, we also armed and encouraged both sides in the Iran-Iraq war, a conflict that killed millions. Just last week the USA smacked down the Palestinian bid at the UN to simply impose a deadline on illegal Israeli occupation of Palestinian territory.

So therefore I suppose we can expect to continue with these insanely aggressive and antagonistic policies towards the people of the Middle East and then we are shocked, SHOCKED when extremists do horrible things out of frustration with the abject injustice of the situation. Makes tons of tense.

People are ****ing idiots. We get what we deserve.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

So much irate nonsense written above by people on both sides. Tell me something, has everybody here forgotten that we bombed the **** out of Iraq for a laugh from 2003 onwards just because a bunch of pro-Israel people in Bush's cabinet don't like arabs? Or that the USA deposed the democratically elected president of Iran in 1953, installed a dictatorship and permanently destabilized the country? Oh, we also armed and encouraged both sides in the Iran-Iraq war, a conflict that killed millions. Just last week the USA smacked down the Palestinian bid at the UN to simply impose a deadline on illegal Israeli occupation of Palestinian territory.

So therefore I suppose we can expect to continue with these insanely aggressive and antagonistic policies towards the people of the Middle East and then we are shocked, SHOCKED when extremists do horrible things out of frustration with the abject injustice of the situation. Makes tons of tense.

Who is this "we" you speak of? I didn't do any bombing in Iraq.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The reason LePen is rising is simply because the establishment in france are covering their ears and going "la la la la la" when it comes to certain strains of fascism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dog of Tears

Piliger wrote: »
    then we will all be reminded that we are Islamophobes ...

Because you are.
    Piliger wrote: »
    Islam will destroy everything Europe stands for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

So much irate nonsense written above by people on both sides. Tell me something, has everybody here forgotten that we bombed the **** out of Iraq for a laugh from 2003 onwards just because a bunch of pro-Israel people in Bush's cabinet don't like arabs? Or that the USA deposed the democratically elected president of Iran in 1953, installed a dictatorship and permanently destabilized the country? Oh, we also armed and encouraged both sides in the Iran-Iraq war, a conflict that killed millions. Just last week the USA smacked down the Palestinian bid at the UN to simply impose a deadline on illegal Israeli occupation of Palestinian territory.

Who is this "we"? What did Ireland have to do with Iraq or Iran? Or France for that matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,269 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'm curious, can anybody link to some examples of people going into random shops/streets and killing innocent strangers in the name of God? Or any other religion apart from Islam?

Somebody mentioned Breivik earlier, but he didn't do his spree in the name of god so its not really relevant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

kstand wrote: »
    I live in London and have genuine fears that this will manifest itself - not if but when.
    All it will do in then long run though is drive people to the right in their droves - and mosques will burn.

which is what they want because it will give them the war they want

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

This event must fly in the face of many posters here, such as the above, who justify attacks based on the foreign policy of France as the root cause of their own terrorism. It shows that it isn't just political, but extends very much to the satirical. The Danish cartoons - a similar story - and I'm pretty sure that Denmark hasn't invaded Iraq, propped up Israel or the usual nonsense that's erected as justification/excuse for Islamic terrorism. In fact, Denmark was one of the chief contributors to the Palestinian cause at the time. There is a reason it's called "Islamic" terrorism and the sooner folks wake up to this fact the better. There needs to be nothing less than an iron clad response to this, and there's no better people than the French to lead the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

If the issue of Muslim extremists in Europe is not addressed then the current political parties risk turning voters to far right extremist political parties who jolly on the 'anti-Islam' bandwagon. This would cripple the E.U. and destroy Europe far worse than extremist Muslims could. Rather than condemning solely the perpetrators, bigger steps will need to be taken to tackle the issue of religious fundamentalists, whatever these steps may be.

Exactly.

If the politically correct media and politicians in France keep saying that all is fine, the gap will get wider and wider between them and what more and more people see as a massive issue ... and a large number of moderates will bring Le Pen to power as she will be the only political figure actually talking about the issues people are concerned with (does it mean she will have good solutions for these issues, I very much doubt so ... but more and more people will see here as the only one who is at least talking about the real issues).

I truly hope more moderate parties get the wake-up call and start doing something before it all blows uo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

There's a sense of giddiness in this thread. Some posters seem gleeful about this sickening attack, as if they're more delighted to have something to attack Islam for rather than sympathy for the victims. Jokes, emoticons, constant posts about nothing... It's like a mini- right wing festival in here right now. Maybe we should tone down the mood and be a little more respectful and sober.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

Tell me something, has everybody here forgotten that we bombed the **** out of Iraq for a laugh from 2003 onwards... we also armed and encouraged both sides in the Iran-Iraq war, a conflict that killed millions... We get what we deserve.
    Um... who's this "we" business?
    And yes, people can be shocked at the atrocities of I.S. Frustration my eye. Say that to the ordinary innocent people they're butchering - ooh yeh, that'll really punish American and British politicians.

Some people can indeed be ****ing idiots, yes. Complaining about people being "irate" is also laughable, amid a torrent of laughableness.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Nodin wrote: »
    O, but you referred to a lot more than Dutch TV, didn't you?

The above is the part of your post that I actually quoted.......

Yes, i did indeed.

Ok, you win. The demonstrations in the Islamic parts of the world against the attacks of 9/11, Madrid. London and the likes are legendary.
    In fact, have they stopped yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

The whataboutery I expected, the 'head tucked in the sand' denial is derigeur and the rediculous moral equivelancy, well, that's mandatory in these threads, but the victim blaming is really a new low.

Because you are.

He is correct.

Islam is the biggest threat to the safety of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Wow how insecure are those 'believers' who feel they have to murder a cartoonist with an AK 47 because he dared draw a satirical cartoon lampooning their religion? Why do these people feel a dissenting voice / an alternative opinion is so catastrophic to their beliefs and their Islam? How is this defending Islam ? How is this avenging anyone or anything ? It harks back to the days of Salman Rushdie and the satanic verses. The problem with organised religion its the tyrannical extreme application by nutcases who clearly belong in a psychiatric facility. This will only serve to increase peoples' distrust in Islam and its followers. I hope the perpetrators are hunted down like the dogs they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Absolute scumbags.
    Savage medieval mindset.
    No place in modern society

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dog of Tears

Maybe we should tone down the mood and be a little more respectful and sober.

No, that sounds really boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,269 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

There's a sense of giddiness in this thread. Some posters seem gleeful about this sickening attack, as if they're more delighted to have something to attack Islam for rather than sympathy for the victims. Jokes, emoticons, constant posts about nothing... It's like a mini- right wing festival in here right now. Maybe we should tone down the mood and be a little more respectful and sober.

If you were going to condemn somebody today, should it really have been us?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭GalwayGuitar

Hitchens wrote: »
    :D

:D:D:D

"Have you a link for that?" :D:D

Even he can do almost no damage limitation in this case.

• Advertisement

I think you will find most people are shocked and horrified that 13 people can be killed in the 21st century because of a cartoon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement