Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shootings in Paris - Multiple fatalities.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Remember too that this event in paris will have to happen 50,000 times more to equal the lower estimates of the number of Muslims killed since 2001 by western countries. If we want to avoid sickening terrorist incidents like this, we need to examine what we're doing overseas. It's not happening in a vacuum.

What absolute rubbish.
    How many western countries exactly have gone in and killed Muslims? Are you saying that there is some policy of all western countries to go in and kill Muslims indiscriminately?
    And what is this we business? What has Ireland got to do with this?

What you are basically saying is that there is a western policy to kill Muslim people and that justifies an attack like this on a magazine company where 13 innocent people have been shot dead. What absolute rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Charlie Hebdo should publish similar cartoons as soon as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

False flag accusation? Usually occurs in these events.

No, not a false flag accusation (although it does raise the possibility) - more a pointing out of certain details that are not consistent with previous attacks like this, and which are very unwelcome developments.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

Remember too that this event in paris will have to happen 50,000 times more to equal the lower estimates of the number of Muslims killed since 2001 by western countries. If we want to avoid sickening terrorist incidents like this, we need to examine what we're doing overseas. It's not happening in a vacuum.

Morons like you who engage in such whatabouterry make me sick. The journalists at Charlie Hebdo attacked no one. Whoever attacked them did so because of their own extreme ideology.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

While you pretend you are morally superior to them.

I have never danced in the streets with happiness at the deaths of innocents. It is only the followers of Islam who partake in that pratice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Calina wrote: »
    I don't need to watch a video to understand what these people have done.

Why do you?

Who said anyone "needed" it? It happened and the video was posted.

Those of us that deal in reality could view it through that lens and not need therapy afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

conorhal wrote: »
    The whataboutery I expected, the 'head tucked in the sand' denial is derigeur and the rediculous moral equivelancy, well, that's mandatory in these threads, but the victim blaming is really a new low.
    I'm not blaming "victims". The people who did this were murderous assholes, however what do you expect people who have been continuous victims of Western aggression to do?

The magazine in question was a staunch supporter of Israel and its policies, policies which have been responsible for the death of thousands of innocent civlians in recent years, the majority women and children. The editor routinely referred to Palestinians as "uncivilized". Does that mean he deserves to be killed? Absolutely not, however it puts him on the side of murderers and if you're on the side of the people who are actuallly being murdered then what would you do?

The pro-Israel lobby in the west has shut down any democratic route to a solution to this problem - look at their actions in the UN last week. So sorry, but we don't get to act all shocked and surprised when extremists do these things. Because we create these extremists by our own actions.

Sorry for pointing out the fact that we can't expect to keep ****ting on the people of the Midddle East and not expet to get horrible blowback from time to time. Every single operational leader in the 9/11 attacks became radicalized because of US support for Israel's policies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

They will be celebrating in every Islamic state in the world over the deaths of 13 innocent people today.

Some small minority will.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Apologists arrive after an atrocity. Its the way of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

No, not a false flag accusation (although it does raise the possibility) - more a pointing out of certain details that are not consistent with previous attacks like this, and which are very unwelcome developments.

Wasn't there a case recently involving an attack on a Jewish museum involving a Kalashnikov armed man, who then fled?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

While you pretend you are morally superior to them.
    Most people kinda are if they don't commit atrocities/don't celebrate them.

Mother of god the moral equivalency/whataboutery here on this thread... maybe it's just a piss-take.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

peckerhead wrote: »
    This. Among the dead are the most high-profile political cartoonists/columnists in France — Cabu, Charb, Wolinski...)
    Not seen that yet...Are Cabu and Wolinksi really amongst the dead? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

Bambi wrote: »
    What were the people in that newspaper doing overseas?

Regardless of creating the circumstances that give rise to fascism, you don't appease or make excuses for fascists, you stamp on them.

I agree, you don't try to reason with fascism. You don't try to negotiate with these fanatics in paris. But let's not be wilfully dense, we need to understand the whole context to understand why terrorism exists at this point in time. Understanding a political reality isn't sympathy for any side.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It was a cartoon. These animals have absolutely no justification for this. And while you can't blame an entire religion for the acts of a few animals, the rest of the Islamic world need to stand up and utterly condemn acts of violence like this.

As for the video, I don't need to see someone being murdered like this to understand the tragedy of someone being murdered like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

I'm not blaming "victims". The people who did this were murderous assholes, however what do you expect people who have been continuous victims of Western aggression to do?

The magazine in question was a staunch supporter of Israel and its policies, policies which have been responsible for the death of thousands of innocent civlians in recent years, the majority women and children. The editor routinely referred to Palestinians as "uncivilized". Does that mean he deserves to be killed? Absolutely not, however it puts him on the side of murderers and if you're on the side of the people who are actuallly being murdered then what would you do?

The pro-Israel lobby in the west has shut down any democratic route to a solution to this problem - look at their actions in the UN last week. So sorry, but we don't get to act all shocked and surprised when extremists do these things. Because we create these extremists by our own actions.

Sorry for pointing out the fact that we can't expect to keep ****ting on the people of the Midddle East and not expet to get horrible blowback from time to time. Every single operational leader in the 9/11 attacks became radicalized because of US support for Israel's policies.
    Please quit the "we" bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,739 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Peist2007 wrote: »
    While i dont deny that there is Muslim condemnation of these terrible events, i do think they need to do more. If ordinary Muslims want to truly integrate and be part of our society then they have to pull their socks up and sort this stuff out.

This is it though they don't want to integrate, they want control and to be in charge and if we dont do something now our children or our childrens children will be living in a muslim controled europe. The average muslim family birthrate is something like 3 times higher than the average european families, they will outnumber us in our own countries a lot sooner than the PC brigade will ever acknowledge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Any selfies from the scene yet?

What is sickening is your support of the terrorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Every single media outlet in the Western World should publish / air the 'offending' material to show solidarity and make a point that these terrorists will not win.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭eug87

This happened in France not Israel or the states,seems your defending the attackers here as they had no choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

So Hizbollah and Hamas had nothing to do with Israeli policy, they just did things off a whim?

Nodin wrote: »
    Large amounts yes

Fixed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

What is sickening is your support of the terrorists.

Support? You think being ignorant if the war on terrorism is supporting one side? I'll let glen greenwald and others know they're terrorist supporters then.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Every single media outlet in the Western World should publish / air the 'offending' material to show solidarity and make a point that these terrorists will not win.

the whole front page of every newspaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I have never danced in the streets with happiness at the deaths of innocents. It is only the followers of Islam who partake in that pratice.

While you wish to put them into camps.
    Most people kinda are if they don't commit atrocities/don't celebrate them.

Mother of god the moral equivalency/whataboutery here on this thread... maybe it's just a piss-take.

It is a person who wants to put Muslims into camps. Of course everyone who doesnt agree is taking part in whataboutery :rolleyes:

I doubt all muslims will celebrate it anyway. The hivemind might be busy for a night. You dont seem too bothered about you people claiming if you dont agree with you then you support murdering innocent people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭LordNorbury

I just watched that video and actually think it should be made compulsory viewing as a realistic measure to demonstrate what these bastards actually do.

To those who ask, what about the dignity of the poor man as his last moments were filmed, I say, let this video be used in his memory to serve as a reminder of how evil these terrorists actually are. At least then his death won't be in vain.

People seem to think that these things only happen far away and so adopt an out of sight out of mind approach. That cosy attitude is akin to ignoring something bad in the hope that it will go away.

Well Islamic Jihadist terrorism isn't going away and its not that far away either. And by turning a blind eye to the reality of what happens, we only leave the door open for these bastards to return in even more vengeful religious fuelled hatred to commit worse atrocities.

RIP to those who died today but lets hope their deaths will help turn the minds of those who condone such futile acts of terrorism. Many of whom are living in our midst.

I was watching ISIS video's last year and someone thought I was off my rocker, looking at a clip where 100 men were lined up sitting down with their hands tied behind their back in a desert, each one shot in the head and falling to the ground before the gunman puts a bullet in the head of the next poor victim.

Then the latest video I watched, where an ISIS guy turns up with a box of kitchen knives and a team of executioners, they cut off the heads of around 12 men.

This stuff should indeed be made compulsory viewing because people need to see the sheer, utter and total madness that these radicalised Islamic terrorists are capable of. People need to see what is going on in the world today, and what is going on today in Iraq and Syria, I've never seen going on anywhere in the world in my life before last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

iirc Charlie Hebdo is a pretty small magazine, I don't think they'll be publishing anything for a while....if ever.

EVERY newspaper should publish similar cartoons as a show of solidarity....or else tomorrow print blank front pages as a sign of this attack on free speech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dog of Tears

Every newspaper in every democratic country should including our own.

They won't though.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

Palmach wrote: »
    Morons like you who engage in such whatabouterry make me sick. The journalists at Charlie Hebdo attacked no one. Whoever attacked them did so because of their own extreme ideology.

So if I published a magaine staating that Jews are uncivlized and deserve to have their land confiscated and be forced to live permanently in tiny refugee camps in horrific conditions then I have attacked nobody and should expect no repercussions for my words. Right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Fixed that.

A bad idea, as now we'll have to see evidence of your notion. 6 hours should be enough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement