Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2014: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭T-Bird

HighLine wrote: »
    In fairness to Eddie, he has broken a few true exclusives over the years including Schumacher's return to Mercedes.

Oh I'm not saying anything otherwise, it's just the way he said it and the funny reaction from herself when he said it. He has been correct in most of his revelations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Scotty # wrote: »
    Take from this what you will (the last 20 seconds). Gotta love Ted Kravitz!

Sky showed Button and Denis sitting at a table having quite an animated discussion after the race. Button said later they always chat before and after races but this looked more serious, lots of hand movements from both. I'd like to see JB get a chance with the Honda.

All will be revealed on 1st December.

Boullier has said on previous interviews on Sky that he wants to keep Button and that its Dennis who wants to get rid of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

The new team president Sergio Marchionne turned Fiat profitable in 2 years in 2006 and then oversaw its megabuck merger with Chrysler a few years back. He is continuing the Ferrari policy of old of sacrificing the scapegoats. It was he who brought Mattiacci in after Domenicali left, and if I was to be ultra cynical of Marchionne's motives, I'd say he is doing a hatchet job to justify the teams exit from F1. One could be forgiven for thinking that the team is on the verge of imploding! The list above of departed people is shocking and clear evidence of the new broom being a bit too indiscriminate.

Among other notables who are no longer active in the team:

Chris Dyer - fired in 2010 after being held responsible for the poor decisions in Abu Dhabi that cost Alonso the title

Aldo Costa - fired in 2011 after being blamed for the poor performance of that years car. Joined Mercedes and the rest is history

Luca Baldisserri: moved from F1 to Ferraris driver academy. Once touted as Brawn's natural successor, he has since drifted into obscurity.

Rob Smedley: followed Massa to Williams as Head of vehicle performance. Again, another case of a Scuderia leaving and finding a performance improvement in his new home.

Of the men named in the post quoted above, IMHO de Montezemelo and Nicholas Tombazi's should have gone ages ago. Likewise, Pat Fry's position is also less that certain with James Allison about. Methinks the scarlet bloodletting may not quite be finished yet......

I don't think Marchionne wants the team to leave F1 though. Scuderia Ferrari exists ultimately to promote the Ferrari brand. If the team isn't winning races, then that isn't good for the brand name. So all that blood-letting is a necessary evil to get the team back on the right track.

The Ferrari part of the business is a huge moneymaker for Fiat. The problem however, is that Marchionne believes, given that there is such huge demand for their cars, that the company could be making a lot more money than it currently is.

Production of Ferraris was limited to something like 7000 units per year by Montezemolo. This was to maintain exclusivity - make sure that supply doesn't exceed demand, thereby maintaining the prestige of the brand. Marchionnes view though was that people were left on waiting lists to buy Ferrari cars, and despite willing to part with huge sums of money, they were left disappointed due to the limited production. This meant Ferrari were losing out on much higher profits. Marchionne wanted to up production to 10000 units per year and apparently Montezemolo baulked at this.

Now with Montezemolo out of the picture, Marchionne is free to do what he wants with the F1 team. Clearly, a season where they are so far off the pace of the Mercedes (who are one of their main competitors in the luxury car market) does not look good, hence the reason for all the upheaval. Of course Marchionne could decide to pull the team entirely from F1 and make the move to Le Mans or elsewhere, but I don't think I could see a future Monte Carlo grand prix without the prancing horse on the grid. Personally, I think we'll see Ferrari in F1 for a few years to come yet. The signing of Vettel in place of Alonso should indicate that they are committed to the immediate future in the sport at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,831 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

If I was the VW Group, I'd send in Lamborghini.

It was 21 years ago when the Lamborghini name was in F1. Lamborghini were owned by Chrysler back then.

Senna and Hakkinen tested a McLaren with a Lamborghini V12 in the back in 1993. Instead of using the Lamborghini V12 engines for 1994, McLaren went with Peugeot, a partnership that only lasted one season.

Senna testing a Lamborghini powered McLaren at Estoril in 1993:

Senna-McLaren-Lambo-1-1024x669.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

I don't think Marchionne wants the team to leave F1 though. Scuderia Ferrari exists ultimately to promote the Ferrari brand. If the team isn't winning races, then that isn't good for the brand name. So all that blood-letting is a necessary evil to get the team back on the right track.

The Ferrari part of the business is a huge moneymaker for Fiat. The problem however, is that Marchionne believes, given that there is such huge demand for their cars, that the company could be making a lot more money than it currently is.

I'd say a lot of it is down to Ferrari, the F1 team in particular, being made more accountable in a corporate context. It'll either end up being run all wrong as Toyota and Jaguar were with unwelcome boardroom interference/indifference, or else end up being 'off-loaded' somehow into a separate entity and run at arm's length.

Rumours abound that Arrivabene is yet another stop-gap appointment so the fun might not be over just yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Vettel would hardly join a team without seeing their future plans would he?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

They won't be leaving F1, especially after investing a fortune in Vettel. And they'll have a plan to get back on top, which Vettel will see.

Autosport are reporting that Mattiacci was sacked because he'd rubbed Bernie up the wrong way and it was felt that he'd have no influence when it came to the politics of F1 as a result. Hence Arrivabene getting the job as he's already bestest buds with Bernie. So, typical Ferrari then, if you can't beat the opposition on the track, do it via bending the right ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

Vettel's started work already...

B3Rc4j5CUAEe468.jpg

OSI wrote: »
    Ohhhh... Interesting. I thought Red Bull were trying to actively block him from working until after testing was over.

Yeah, although I think this is all being passed of as a friendly "Hello"...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

He's not being allowed to drive the car but he can hang out in the garage and meet all the right people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Schwiiing wrote: »
    I'd like to make the races shorter by about 20-30 mins.

No way, if anything they need to be longer. This is supposed to be the pinnacle, yet other series have longer races than F1. Most of them are 1h30m or 1h40m (Monza's only 1h20m!), when they should be ideally around 2h15m. Makes the races 400 or 450km instead of the current ~307km.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

TheChrisD wrote: »
    No way, if anything they need to be longer. This is supposed to be the pinnacle, yet other series have longer races than F1. Most of them are 1h30m or 1h40m (Monza's only 1h20m!), when they should be ideally around 2h15m. Makes the races 400 or 450km instead of the current ~307km.

If Mercedes continue their level of dominance F1 will become as boring as the Schumacher or Vettel years. Processional race after processional race back then. Imagine if all those races were 50% longer. People would turn off in their droves.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Well it sounds louder at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Schwiiing wrote: »
    If Mercedes continue their level of dominance F1 will become as boring as the Schumacher or Vettel years. Processional race after processional race back then. Imagine if all those races were 50% longer. People would turn off in their droves.
    Add more distance, but keep the fuel limit the same, might add a bit more strategy to the races which revolve too much around tyres right now.
    Gintonious wrote: »

Well it sounds louder at least!
    Sounds a lot like the current IndyCar engine. Maybe they got some help from HPD into making a decent turbo engine that doesn't sound pants?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Loud engine = wasted energy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,631 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

So, is the Mercedes engine the quietest? Anyone have any sound level stats?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

This is also a test PU, it wont be the one they run for pre-season testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    It was 21 years ago when the Lamborghini name was in F1. Lamborghini were owned by Chrysler back then.

Senna and Hakkinen tested a McLaren with a Lamborghini V12 in the back in 1993. Instead of using the Lamborghini V12 engines for 1994, McLaren went with Peugeot, a partnership that only lasted one season.

Senna testing a Lamborghini powered McLaren ]

Senna wanted to race the Mclaren Lamborghini at the last 2 races of 1993 following the test - races Ayrton won in the McLaren Ford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,831 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Infoanon wrote: »
    Senna wanted to race the Mclaren Lamborghini at the last 2 races of 1993 following the test - races Ayrton won in the McLaren Ford.

That's right. They were customer Ford engines too as Benetton had the works Ford engines.

Tobias Grüner of Auto Motor und Sport is reporting that the F1 Commission has scrapped standing restarts, double points and the radio bans for 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I'd take half a second slower if they sounded nicer.

A lot of people would, but what team would choose to loose power.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I wonder, is there a more efficient way of making more noise with the same amount of energy? Please don't say trumpets. :o

I wonder, is there a more efficient way of making more noise with the same amount of energy? Please don't say trumpets. :o

Physics says no. To create noise you need to use energy from elsewhere https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservation_of_energy

Noise in an engine is caused by friction or vibrations, neither are good.

_rebelkid wrote: »
    Tobias Grüner of Auto Motor und Sport is reporting that the F1 Commission has scrapped standing restarts, double points and the radio bans for 2015.

Well, that's really going to lower costs isn't it? Who says the powers that be in F1 can't run the proverbial in a brewery? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

GarIT wrote: »
    A lot of people would, but what team would choose to loose power.

Meh, they've to drive deltas to protect fuel & tires anyway, so not as if they're flat out for the whole race. They may as well sound good while doing it :o

Myrddin wrote: »
    Meh, they've to drive deltas to protect fuel & tires anyway, so not as if they're flat out for the whole race. They may as well sound good while doing it :o

It's not top speed that they would reduce though, it's acceleration and horsepower that they would loose. Minimally but there would be a loss. If you increase noise they have to use more fuel to maintain the same speed as well as increasing engine wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

Was that Lamborghini engine being used by Scuderia Italia in 1993? As I recall McLaren opted for peugeot which was a disaster, jordan ended up with them a year later as cast offs and did ok despite it being 30kg over weight and costing about 50 points and multiple podiums by blowing up. Lambo ditched F1 when Mclaren didnt sign up. *edit: google has reminded me it was larousse F1 with the lamborghini motor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

GarIT wrote: »
    It's not top speed that they would reduce though, it's acceleration and horsepower that they would loose. Minimally but there would be a loss. If you increase noise they have to use more fuel to maintain the same speed as well as increasing engine wear.

I take your point, & I think the physics are indisputable, it's just, I think an F1 car should be awe inspiring, not just from being cutting edge, but should rattle your very soul too :o

Advertisement