Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2014: General Discussion Thread

Options
1128129130131132134»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I wish I could run Assetto Corsa, my laptop still runs Intel HD graphics.
    It is a bit of a resource hog and isn't properly optimised yet. It should improve but it's a next gen sim so to speak, they plan on supporting it for at least 5 years after release. Race sims tend to have very long shelf lives and I think that was the plan with this sim, it's made for systems that will be appearing over the next 5 years rather than what's available now.

Sim racing can turn into a sickness though, the money you can end up spending on gear if you get into it can be on a par with real racing series.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

ScumLord wrote: »

Sim racing can turn into a sickness though, the money you can end up spending on gear if you get into it can be on a par with real racing series.

Far cheaper to fix if you crash though. :D

Far cheaper to fix if you crash though. :D
    The only problem is you can have a crash (of your PC) while you're still sitting in the pits.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

Pfft. Do like Formula E and have a second PC ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

ScumLord wrote: »
    It is a bit of a resource hog and isn't properly optimised yet. It should improve but it's a next gen sim so to speak, they plan on supporting it for at least 5 years after release. Race sims tend to have very long shelf lives and I think that was the plan with this sim, it's made for systems that will be appearing over the next 5 years rather than what's available now.

That's certainly proved true for me, I've probably spent hours on GTR2.

I wouldn't have the patience to go to the extent of using a steering wheel and pedals for PC sims, though. I've really slow reflexes when it comes to correcting oversteer.

• Advertisement

That's certainly proved true for me, I've probably spent hours on GTR2.

I wouldn't have the patience to go to the extent of using a steering wheel and pedals for PC sims, though. I've really slow reflexes when it comes to correcting oversteer.
    It does make a big difference. The force feedback is the big difference it makes correcting things like understeer and oversteer much more intuitive because you can actually feel them happening rather than waiting to see it happen. That's how the sickness starts though, you see the improvement from using a wheel and pedals, then you find out about pedals with pressure sensors and you get another big improvement in your braking, then you want a gear stick, then you have to make a sim rig, so on, so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Would it surprise you to learn that I can't drive in real life? :pac:

Would it surprise you to learn that I can't drive in real life? :pac:
    No better way to learn than driving the LaFerrari around Spa. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Assetto Corsa is nothing short of fantastic! It needs a good wheel and pedals though.

I've driven a couple of track cars at Mondello and once the wheel is set up right its shockingly realistic. I have it a couple of months now and I pretty much have only driven the Lotus 98t. The engine sound would make Jesus cry.:p It does have a steep learning curve but with the right set up on the wheel it makes things easier.

I have it a couple of months now and I pretty much have only driven the Lotus 98t. The engine sound would make Jesus cry.:p
    Have you tried the Lamborghini Miura mod? It's from the same guys that made the cobra that ended up in the official car list. Easily the best sounding car to date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,292 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

What are each of these games like for running on a simulator rig?
    Can they all output data to run motion equipment ?

Man that sounds sweet and it looks like a quality mod. Love that Longford track.

mickdw wrote: »
    What are each of these games like for running on a simulator rig?
    Can they all output data to run motion equipment ?
    yup.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,292 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I looking looking for info on this kind of stuff but it was going over my head really.
    For a plug and play setup, I gather you can buy a box of tricks that connects to PC running game and then that outputs the required movement commands to struts etc.
    Seems pricy though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Anyone know where I can find the 2014 F1 season thread? :D

HighLine wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can find the 2014 F1 season thread? :D

Slow news day! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

10806204_10205067594906947_6030407333394076799_n.jpg?oh=3bbb9d209f00beb16a0229f0f264722c&oe=550C879A

Assetto Corsa is half price at €22.50 on Steam at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Jules Bianchi has started rehabilitation at a French hospital, his family has confirmed.
    http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/188099.html

• Registered Users Posts: 30,080 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Sad that the effect of the crash weren't short term
    I guess it's good that he's remained stable and things progressing

• Advertisement
Advertisement