Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2014: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

Jeez, looking at the results of the year so far and Massa has only had 2 podiums. That's incredibly poor given the car he's had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Jeez, looking at the results of the year so far and Massa has only had 2 podiums. That's incredibly poor given the car he's had.

Agreed. Give Massa the bullet & get Button in there for next season. Would love to see Button in that Williams

Myrddin wrote: »
    Agreed. Give Massa the bullet & get Button in there for next season. Would love to see Button in that Williams
    I'd rather see Button at McLaren though he would've been a good fit for Williams this year. They've had some issues in the race with tyre usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

The more I think about it, the more it looks like the BBC piece yesterday between Coulthard and Button, where they went over the latter's F1 career, was his semi-official send-off from F1. There seemed to be an air of finality about it with a "Might just be his last F1 ever, you'd never know" fig leaf to cover themselves. While Button *did* say he'd be racing next year, he didn't say where though. So, WEC with Toyota?

I'd rather see Button at McLaren though he would've been a good fit for Williams this year. They've had some issues in the race with tyre usage.

After how he's been treated, I think I'd prefer to see him at Williams. McLaren have failed Button, not the other way around. He's a superb driver, & as stated many times, the ultimate ambassador for the sport & a total professional. He's as quick as he ever was, & fully capable of winning given the chance. McLaren have not given him that chance for too many seasons now.

• Advertisement

After how he's been treated, I think I'd prefer to see him at Williams. McLaren have failed Button, not the other way around. He's a superb driver, & as stated many times, the ultimate ambassador for the sport & a total professional. He's as quick as he ever was, & fully capable of winning given the chance. McLaren have not given him that chance for too many seasons now.
    How much people seem to pine for the halcyon days of Whitmarsh eh? :P

How much people seem to pine for the halcyon days of Whitmarsh eh? :P

Speaking of, does anyone else have a feeling this uncertainty around Button is stemming from Boulier? He comes across as a total hard ass, & it wouldn't surprise me if it was him pushing to get rid of Button.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Speaking of, does anyone else have a feeling this uncertainty around Button is stemming from Boulier? He comes across as a total hard ass, & it wouldn't surprise me if it was him pushing to get rid of Button.

Possibly. My hope would be that Honda are pushing hard behind the scenes for McLaren to retain Jenson

Partly Boullier but I'd say Ron is ultimately behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Buttons interview yesterday on the BBC was very depressing. Sounded like a lad who knew it was his last race with Mclaren. I really hope he gets to drive in the F1 next year. One of the cleanest drivers I have ever seen and seems like a very nice guy.

Can't wait for today now. I want Rosberg to win myself (have since the start), but I can't see him doing so unless something drastically goes wrong with Hamiltons car.

• Advertisement

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Buttons interview yesterday on the BBC was very depressing. Sounded like a lad who knew it was his last race with Mclaren. I really hope he gets to drive in the F1 next year. One of the cleanest drivers I have ever seen and seems like a very nice guy.

Can't wait for today now. I want Rosberg to win myself (have since the start), but I can't see him doing so unless something drastically goes wrong with Hamiltons car.

If Bottas gets a clean start then Hamilton will have to stay on his toes. Hamilton can't push as much as usual and he'll probably always have Bottas within a pit-stop or so behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Partly Boullier but I'd say Ron is ultimately behind it.

Ron was never a fan of Button. He had multiple opportunities to sign him and said he didn't rate him as a top rank driver. In some ways, he's right, as Button has too many weaknesses compared to someone like Alonso or Hamilton. On the other hand he's very close and can be relied upon to score.

It's clear to everyone however that in the current scenario, McLaren are the weak partner compared to Button. And less professional to boot.

Adamocovic wrote: »

I'd like Rosberg to win too. Hamilton has more wins but several of those have been gifted to him by Rosberg making mistakes. It's been much closer than people assumed (just like it was with Button) and if Rosberg improves his racecraft next year then it could be even closer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Brundle said the same thing during yesterday's quali program, that Boullier wants to keep Magnussen as he believes he's the faster driver.

I think McLaren would score more points next year if Button was kept, but I'd prefer they give Magnussen another year and see if he can improve his racecraft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Listening to Ron Denis on BBC at FP3 it's the Frenchman wanting to dump Button.

bbability wrote: »
    Listening to Ron Denis on BBC at FP3 it's the Frenchman wanting to dump Button.

Ron ain't gonna admit it unless it makes him look good. If Button was crashing every week or bad-mouthing the team he'd say it was he who wanted to get rid. With the media/public sentiment at the moment Dennis ain't gonna take responsibility.

Felipe can thank me for this reverse jinx with $50k.

Just want to preface this by saying it's a purely hypothetical and not an attempt to get a rise out of people but I think it's funny that if not for the presence of DRS Rosberg may well have gone into the last race with a comfortable lead. It's funny how the little thing can make such a big difference.
    Also I'm not saying hit doesn't deserve it, same as how if Rosberg had won "because of double points" I still would've said he deserved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I don't know why but I am looking forward more for Rosberg's interview than Hamilton's interview.
    Fair play to Lewis can't say he didn't deserve it.

Just want to preface this by saying it's a purely hypothetical and not an attempt to get a rise out of people but I think it's funny that if not for the presence of DRS Rosberg may well have gone into the last race with a comfortable lead. It's funny how the little thing can make such a big difference.
    Also I'm not saying hit doesn't deserve it, same as how if Rosberg had won "because of double points" I still would've said he deserved it.

There are a lot of hypotheticals all through the year, did Rosberg "gift" Lewis some wins he wouldn't have got otherwise? Do they cancel out the DNF's?

I think either of them would have been a worthy champion, and you have to say that any 2 drivers in that Mercedes would have been winners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,133 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Could equally have been Lewis who had the mechanical problems today and things gone the other way.

Good that it's not one driver dominating the season and there's a bit a battle even if it's just inside one team.

There are a lot of hypotheticals all through the year, did Rosberg "gift" Lewis some wins he wouldn't have got otherwise? Do they cancel out the DNF's?

I think either of them would have been a worthy champion, and you have to say that any 2 drivers in that Mercedes would have been winners.
    It is all hypothetical and obviously today's result means most of the season wouldn't have made a big difference. I just think that with Rosberg's qualifying superiority there would have been a lot less chance of Hamilton catching and passing him in the races he did without DRS. Still, everyone knew the rules before the season started.

Anyone who could've gone a season in those Mercs without winning (assuming some issue for teammates now and then) would have no business in F1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Hopefully next season is more competitive, I've never been a fan of McLaren but hopefully Honda does the business for them. If Mercedes are as dominant again it will be another blow for F1.

In some ways, he's right, as Button has too many weaknesses compared to someone like Alonso or Hamilton.

And yet Button is the only person to ever beat Hamilton as a team mate...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

Mercedes cant build two race cars. Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

Interesting comment from EJ on the F1 forum earlier - Ross Brawn to head up a Volkswagen Audi entry for the 2017 season. If true, it would be great to have a brand new team, and a new constructor. They may not be successful or competitive straight away but it would be good for the sport all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Ah well. It was a great season and only 111 DAYS, 11 HOURS, 20 MINUTES AND 47 SECONDS to the Aussie GP. :p

And yet Button beat Hamilton in 2009, & was a great match for him on many occasions. You got some weird notions about F1 dude :P

Nope, just aware of context.

Hamilton wasn't in equal equipment in 2009, do you mean '11? Button is a great driver, one of the best on the grid, but his qualifying has been a weak point for years, and there have been too many races where he was anonymous in the first half under heavy fuel (which he's stated be doesn't like) compared to his teammate, or where he's rescued a decent 5th when his teammate was winning, or where he's had "massive front locking" or "no balance". If the car is capable of 5th, he'll get 5th but Alonso or Hamilton would get 2nd, and ultimately that's why he's at risk.

Mclaren should keep him because he'll get the points they'll need to win a championship, but they won't pin their hopes on him to win a championship *for* them. That's what an Alonso or Hamilton can do, and possibly what seb has been shown up for this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭P_Cash

I loved F1.

1996 to 2001 i was glued to it.

But struggle to watch it now.

Has anyone else this problem?

My problem is that, well take today, hard to watch, the only time i kinda took good interest was massa closing in on hamil, but knowing it was visa versa, hamil minding his car.

Id love the mclaren/Ferrari fights to come back.

Id love to have the same interest.

Should i be forcing myself to watch the first few races next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Why were you glued to it back then? 2001 was particularly dull with the Schumacher whitewash. Is what you're after different teams battling for the title? There was plenty of competition this year but it was within one team.

Advertisement