Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2014: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Was that Lamborghini engine being used by Scuderia Italia in 1993? As I recall McLaren opted for peugeot which was a disaster, jordan ended up with them a year later as cast offs and did ok despite it being 30kg over weight and costing about 50 points and multiple podiums by blowing up. Lambo ditched F1 when Mclaren didnt sign up. *edit: google has reminded me it was larousse F1 with the lamborghini motor.

Larrousse used the Lamborghini engines in 1993, Scuderia Italia used Ferrari V12's.

As for Jordan, the engines Peugeot supplied to Jordan in 1997 had plenty of power. The Jordan 197 was a very good car.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    Larrousse used the Lamborghini engines in 1993, Scuderia Italia used Ferrari V12's.

As for Jordan, the engines Peugeot supplied to Jordan in 1997 had plenty of power. The Jordan 197 was a very good car.

I recall a quote from Gary Anderson that was somewhat less than complimentary about Peugeot. Something like, "Right Monsieur Jordan, 'ere is your engines for the season. See you next year." They got about one update all year long for the faster tracks at Hockenheim and Monza and nothing more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Jean Eric Vergne just confirmed he will not return to Torro Rosso next year

https://twitter.com/jeanericvergne/status/537612225587195904

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

bbability wrote: »
    Jean Eric Vergne just confirmed he will not return to Torro Rosso next year

https://twitter.com/jeanericvergne/status/537612225587195904

To which Jenson replied...

https://twitter.com/JensonButton/status/537654310591803392

Suggesting Jenson is staying? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,071 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

jenson hoping he will be staying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I'd take half a second slower if they sounded nicer.

but but... they do sound nicer this year, as in the don't have a horrible high pitch scream which is damagingly loud. High pitched whines don't sound good no matter how loud
    yeah, I went there again
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

but but... they do sound nicer this year, as in the don't have a horrible high pitch scream which is damagingly loud. High pitched whines don't sound good no matter how loud
    yeah, I went there again
    ;)

Burn him! He's the witch! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I like the sound. Screaming engines are just outdated relics of the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭Infoanon

jenson hoping he will be staying

I was listening to Lewis Hamilton on 5live and reading between the lines Mclaren may sign option 4 : Stoffel Vandoorne

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

To be honest, it would sit better with alot of people if they got rid of button and magnussen instead of just dumping button.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I think it would be better for Button to stay, Honda could do with strong results with it being their first year back in the sport. K-Mag has potential but I think having him in a team like McLaren so early wasn't the best idea.

It would also be a shame for him to not be in F1 at all next year, but it looks like there are no seats for him. And putting him in a 3rd driver role might not work either mainly because they already have Vandroorne there in waiting, which would mean he would have to leave. Its a case of there being not enough room at the inn for everyone.

Gintonious wrote: »
    And putting him in a 3rd driver role might not work either mainly because they already have Vandroorne there in waiting, which would mean he would have to leave. Its a case of there being not enough room at the inn for everyone.
    I'd say Jenson would have no problem moving to a different series or even becoming a presenter if he loses his seat, I wouldn't see him taking a 3rd driver role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

I seriously don't understand how people can go on about preferring to hear tyre squeal and crowds cheering!! This is supposed to be F1. Anyone who has ever been to a race will know how past F1 cars used to make you feel, the earth shattering sound that would reverberate deep in your chest. Even watching on TV this year - when the red light sequence counts down, there was a pathetic mild rumble. A real shame.

If you want to hear tyre squeal, head on down to Kylemore.

^ because you can't have both :) Tire squeal was always there, we just couldn't hear it with the noise of the engine. Reduce that noise, & other things like crowds & tires then become audible. Increase the noise, & they go bye bye

HighLine wrote: »
    I seriously don't understand how people can go on about preferring to hear tyre squeal and crowds cheering!!
    Tyre squeal would give you more information about the car for one thing.

Actually, hearing the crowd this year I think did add to the excitement of races. I'd never heard the cheering before, it never even dawned on me that F1 fans would be cheering on the cars. There were some great moments in Brazil where the crowd reacted to overtakes that really added to the atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

My favourite was the roar at Monza when Hamilton made Rosberg choke at the the first chicane.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Actually, hearing the crowd this year I think did add to the excitement of races. I'd never heard the cheering before, it never even dawned on me that F1 fans would be cheering on the cars. There were some great moments in Brazil where the crowd reacted to overtakes that really added to the atmosphere.

Fully agree there, the crowd noises add a lot to the race. I remember the cheering for Ricciardo in Australia back in March, brilliant stuff.

HighLine wrote: »
    I seriously don't understand how people can go on about preferring to hear tyre squeal and crowds cheering!! This is supposed to be F1. Anyone who has ever been to a race will know how past F1 cars used to make you feel, the earth shattering sound that would reverberate deep in your chest. Even watching on TV this year - when the red light sequence counts down, there was a pathetic mild rumble. A real shame.
    Apart from the 80s eh?
    Tyre squeal would give you more information about the car for one thing.

Watch classic F1 on BBC when it's on, crowds used to be audible. I don't know if it was sound mixing or ticket prices that changed that. Hungary was particularly good in the late 90s with Schumi and Hakkinen fighting it out with thousands of Finns in the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

I wonder, is there a more efficient way of making more noise with the same amount of energy? Please don't say trumpets. :o

Twin exhausts and two turbos....but that would need a significant rule change.

As an aside, I was at Silverstone in '88 when the turbo's had their swansong. What struck me about them then in comparrison to the V8 atmos was how quiet the turbo's were on light throttle, e.g. around Woodcote Chicane. The racket they made at full tilt down the hanger straight was another matter entirely :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

GarIT wrote: »
    Physics says no. To create noise you need to use energy from elsewhere https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservation_of_energy

Noise in an engine is caused by friction or vibrations, neither are good.
    The noise is muted by the exhaust being fed into the turbo rather than straight out the side.

• Advertisement

So Hulkenberg is having a go at LeMans this year, nice.

Also, am I the only one here who is happy that we didn't see that stupid Vettel finger at all for the whole season???

I'd say Jenson would have no problem moving to a different series or even becoming a presenter if he loses his seat, I wouldn't see him taking a 3rd driver role.

Sorry, I was referring to Mag or Van, no way at all Button would do a 3rd role. Better to leave than do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    The noise is muted by the exhaust being fed into the turbo rather than straight out the side.

You cant just mute noise, you have to absorb it. i.e the turbo takes its power from the energy that would normally be wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Apart from the 80s eh?

Watch classic F1 on BBC when it's on, crowds used to be audible. I don't know if it was sound mixing or ticket prices that changed that. Hungary was particularly good in the late 90s with Schumi and Hakkinen fighting it out with thousands of Finns in the crowd.

I can tell you that in the late 90s they were plenty loud! I'll never forget being on my way to the track in Monza, when still a couple of miles away we heard the thundering scream of an engine in the distance. Sent a shiver down my spine and it's something I'll never forget. Can't imagine too many people would say the same about the V6s.

free issue of recent gpplus magazine today
    http://joesaward.wordpress.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

free issue of recent gpplus magazine today
    http://joesaward.wordpress.com/

Cheers Ghost Train. Good spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Jordan 191 wrote: »

Time to start the 2015 thread? :)

Susie Wolff will be Williams official test driver next year with Nasr going to Sauber

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I just wonder, I just wonder, if Susie is a spy :rolleyes:

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Advertisement